Creating An Ex-Soviet Nations Champions Cup

Tikka Mezzala

I am interesting in creating a tournament, similar to the UCL, but with teams that were once part of the USSR. I'd also like to add some teams from countries that had satellite regimes connected with the USSR. 

Any advice on where to begin and how to go about making this a reality would be very welcome. 

Thanks in advance!

A sort of Communist Champions League, right?

You make a new International Club Competition, call it whatever you want and select Continent World. Next you make the International Club Competition, pick your Nations that deliver your teams and you're done.

Picking your nations might be interesting, the 15 Soviet teams, Bulgaria, Romania, Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic and Slovakia are a certainty. East Germany doesn't exist anymore, so how  do you pick a team from the East German area is an interesting question. Albania and the Former Yugoslav countries are also communist, but at various moments turned their back to the Soviets.

Of course, that's all up to you.

5 hours ago, Wolf_pd said:

A sort of Communist Champions League, right?

You make a new International Club Competition, call it whatever you want and select Continent World. Next you make the International Club Competition, pick your Nations that deliver your teams and you're done.

Picking your nations might be interesting, the 15 Soviet teams, Bulgaria, Romania, Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic and Slovakia are a certainty. East Germany doesn't exist anymore, so how  do you pick a team from the East German area is an interesting question. Albania and the Former Yugoslav countries are also communist, but at various moments turned their back to the Soviets.

Of course, that's all up to you.

Much appreciated!

I am thinking there may be some problems with using teams who currently play in the UEFA competitions. Scheduling might be difficult in this case. Is there a way to take the ex-communist states' teams out of the UEFA competitions and place them solely in the Eastern European competition without causing major problems for the game? Do I need to replace the countries I take out of UEFA with others from the likes of North America, Africa etc?

(1) Russia

(2) Crimea

(3) Belarus

(4) Latvia

(5) Ukraine

(6) Estonia

(7) Lithuania

(8) Poland

(9) Czech Republic

(10) Slovakia

(11) Hungary 

(12) Romania

(13) Bulgaria

(14) Moldova

(15) Georgia

(16) Kosovo

(17) Kazakhstan

(18) Uzbekistan

(19) Tajikistan

(20) Turkmenistan

(21) Armenia

(22) Azerbaijan

(23) Slovenia

(24) Croatia

(25) Serbia

(26) Macedonia

(27) Albania

(28) Bosnia

(29) Montenegro

(30) Kyrgyzstan 

These are the nations I have in mind. I have allocated 4 teams from Russia and Ukraine; 3 teams from the other decent nations like Czech Republic, Croatia, Serbia etc. Some of the lesser nations have 2 teams, and the very obscure ones, like Crimea, Kosovo, Turkmenistan have 1 place allocated. 

That's what I've got so far on the editor. I have simply called it the Eastern European Champions Cup. Reputation 175. 

4 minutes ago, Pechorin said:

Okay, so I had to remove the Asian countries. But apart from that, it says the rules are valid. 

My worry is, when I start a save, some teams will have to play in this competition and the UEFA CL. 

How do I rectify this?

You need to more or less partially rebuild the UEFA Champions and Europa League to ignore the teams from those countries if you do not want them to play in the CL and EL at all. Or you can schedule around it so that they can play both your custom competition and the CL/EL. I'd look there to start; surely you can learn something from those files. Open them and see how they work.

11 minutes ago, BMNJohn said:

You need to more or less partially rebuild the UEFA Champions and Europa League to ignore the teams from those countries if you do not want them to play in the CL and EL at all. Or you can schedule around it so that they can play both your custom competition and the CL/EL. I'd look there to start; surely you can learn something from those files. Open them and see how they work.

Cheers!

I had an error message when running the game. I have put 64 teams in the tournament, and have stated this at the appropriate point. However, it is saying that I have 126 teams in the 'stages' part. This is only true if you add the teams that have been knocked out in the previous rounds. It starts with 64 in the qualifiers, then 32 in the groups, 16, 8, 4, 2 as the rounds progress. Altogether that makes 126. But it shouldn't count as 126 teams. Dunno how to sort that out.

7 hours ago, Pechorin said:

Cheers!

I had an error message when running the game. I have put 64 teams in the tournament, and have stated this at the appropriate point. However, it is saying that I have 126 teams in the 'stages' part. This is only true if you add the teams that have been knocked out in the previous rounds. It starts with 64 in the qualifiers, then 32 in the groups, 16, 8, 4, 2 as the rounds progress. Altogether that makes 126. But it shouldn't count as 126 teams. Dunno how to sort that out.

Hard to say without the Editor File to be honest.

15 hours ago, Pechorin said:

Okay, so I had to remove the Asian countries. But apart from that, it says the rules are valid. 

My worry is, when I start a save, some teams will have to play in this competition and the UEFA CL. 

How do I rectify this?

If you use continent World instead of Europe, the Asian can be added.

This is the file for what I have so far.

The editor tells me that the current rules are valid. When I start up the game and include the editor file, I get an error message. It mentions something to do with the number of teams. I will try and post a screenshot of the error message in another post. But if anyone want to try and figure out how to make this work properly, feel free. I really fancy making this work and having an alternative to the UEFA CL in Eastern Europe.

Eastern European Champions Cup.fmf

Where it says 126 added to stages, 64 teams in the competition, I am at a loss to know what to do. The setup is as follows:

Qualifying Play-Off round: 64 teams, 32 games. 2 Legs. 

Group Stages: 32 Teams; 8 Groups; 2 Rounds of Matches

First Knockout Round: 16 teams; 8 matches; 2 legs.

Quarter Final: 8 teams; 4 matches; 2 legs.

Semi-Final: 4 teams; 2 matches; 2 legs.

Final: 2 teams; 1 match; 1 leg. 

If you add the number of teams from each round, you get 126. But that fails to account for teams being eliminated. I have entered 64 teams into the tournament. That's how many enter at the qualifying stage. So I can't see what the problem is.

I have actually managed to sort this out in a roundabout way. 

So the initial problem I was having was I didn't comprehend the 'number of teams starting at this stage' feature. I assumed you filled this in right the way through. But I think you fill it in at the start, and it sort of works itself out down the way, unless you have something more sophisticated than halving the number of teams at every new stage. 

Anyway, I have a Karl Marx Cup of Champions from June-August. Then the Vladimir Lenin Champions Cup from September-May. I just added both because I like competitive football replacing pre-season games. The Lenin Cup will be the much more important one. So you can experiment in the Marx Cup. 

I adjusted the rest of Europe. The CL now only contains the top 5 leagues and works as a league in itself. The Europa League has become a best of the rest, with the middle ranked nations competing. Then I have a UEFA trophy for the minnow nations' clubs. So a transformation of the continental football right the way through Europe. 

2 hours ago, Pechorin said:

So the initial problem I was having was I didn't comprehend the 'number of teams starting at this stage' feature.

Glad for you this was sorted out. As you've noticed, that feature is meant to add teams that haven't played a match so far; useful if you want a staggered entry of clubs into a competition.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you now have a West and a East European Champions League, or is the ECL extra for the east? It could help propel the Eastern European teams into better results.

12 hours ago, Wolf_pd said:

Do you now have a West and a East European Champions League, or is the ECL extra for the east? It could help propel the Eastern European teams into better results.

I had created separate competitions. It made the scheduling easier. Plus I wanted to change the structure of the other competitions to make them more competitive. 

Archived