How do YOU analyse during half time?

Imagine: It's half time, the score is 0-0, or you may have conceded one already. All of the highlights are your opponent's except for maybe one. The opposition you are facing isn't necessarily a better team. All of your players have a rating between 6.30 and 6.60.

What statistics do you look at? How do you use the analysis tool? Which parts of the tool are key in taking in?

First things first this will not be the best advice, in fact its probably massively flawed, but it feels right and often, not always, works for me.

I play on comprehensive highlights, so Im happy I see enough to make judgements on that. If one player is doing lots of bad, I will change his role slightly to give him less to think about (BPD-D --> CD-D or DLP-D --> CM/DM-D) or sub him off. If I see we are being exploited in an area, I will make that area less attack (e.g. if we are being exploited down the right I might changed my IWB-A to IWB-S and stop looking for the underlap on that side. That midfielder on that side may also become less adventurous.

If we are being dominated I often go more offensive; the best form of defensive is attack. I will use any from a combination of more pressing, higher DL/LOE, more direct passing, more attacking mentalties and more positive roles/duties.

Based off player ratings I never shy away from early changes, even in the first half sometimes. If a player is having a mare it is best to remove him from the equation before he does something costly. If three players are having mares, it is best to remove them before they cost you. Often these will be more positive subs based on your scenario, but it could be a simple man for man swap in other situations. This is probably the best advice I can give: its better to react too early than too late. Also, if one player is playing significantly better than the rest (e.g. a 7.0 vs many 6.6s or less) I will try and get them on the ball more and get players closer to him to take advantage from his superior performance. This can occur in many ways, I might make him a playmaker/target man to make him a ball magnet and get him on the ball more, I may try and exploit his are of the pitch through TIs and/or I might make the players closer too him less defensive/more attacking.

Simply I never rest on my laurels, I rather react potentially too soon and use a sub in the 25th minute, than leave the player on and him make a mistake leading to a goal in the 26th. I'd rather use all 3 subs at half time and risk having to use square pegs in round holes later than wait for said player to buck his ideas up.

3 hours ago, OJ403 said:

First things first this will not be the best advice, in fact its probably massively flawed, but it feels right and often, not always, works for me.

I play on comprehensive highlights, so Im happy I see enough to make judgements on that. If one player is doing lots of bad, I will change his role slightly to give him less to think about (BPD-D --> CD-D or DLP-D --> CM/DM-D) or sub him off. If I see we are being exploited in an area, I will make that area less attack (e.g. if we are being exploited down the right I might changed my IWB-A to IWB-S and stop looking for the underlap on that side. That midfielder on that side may also become less adventurous.

If we are being dominated I often go more offensive; the best form of defensive is attack. I will use any from a combination of more pressing, higher DL/LOE, more direct passing, more attacking mentalties and more positive roles/duties.

Based off player ratings I never shy away from early changes, even in the first half sometimes. If a player is having a mare it is best to remove him from the equation before he does something costly. If three players are having mares, it is best to remove them before they cost you. Often these will be more positive subs based on your scenario, but it could be a simple man for man swap in other situations. This is probably the best advice I can give: its better to react too early than too late. Also, if one player is playing significantly better than the rest (e.g. a 7.0 vs many 6.6s or less) I will try and get them on the ball more and get players closer to him to take advantage from his superior performance. This can occur in many ways, I might make him a playmaker/target man to make him a ball magnet and get him on the ball more, I may try and exploit his are of the pitch through TIs and/or I might make the players closer too him less defensive/more attacking.

Simply I never rest on my laurels, I rather react potentially too soon and use a sub in the 25th minute, than leave the player on and him make a mistake leading to a goal in the 26th. I'd rather use all 3 subs at half time and risk having to use square pegs in round holes later than wait for said player to buck his ideas up.

Yup - what he said. :applause:

It is all so contextual it is almost impossible to answer with one post - although @OJ403 has don a damn good job.

Personally, if the highlights (I use Comprehensive as well) are mostly the opposition - where are they attacking from, is it one player? One area of the pitch? One particular form of attack? Firstly I will try and shut that down, either shut off passes to their player, close down and control that area of the pitch or tweak defenders to counteract a long ball - just three examples of what may happen.

Simply reassess the opponents strengths and weaknesses and adjust accordingly. Almost as if it were pre-match tactical set up again.

Archived