[Suggestion] Team Meeting - European/Extended Comp Targets

Butlee

When you meet with your team at EoS or in Pre-Season you can set goals on where you want to finish in the League. I think that's fine, but it also 'tops out' at winning the local league.

Sometimes as a manager I feel I need to stress for even further targets than that. It's not uncommon for a club (especially if you're managing well!) to gain a stranglehold on their local League, and as a manager you need to stress that they need to really make a splash on the extended comp (for most managers in FM, I'd say that's the European Champions League or Europa League).

I could probably draw up a long list of clubs where this is relevant, but let's just say a few that I'm familiar with - Juventus, Club Brugge & Shakhtar - they're all capable of winning back-to-back premierships in their respective countries, but for all of them to make that huge next step (and in turn for you, their manager, to hammer home your reputation) it requires more than turning over a League win and just whatever happens in Europe happens. 

Does this really matter that much? Well you could probably argue that it doesn't, but just personally I find it tough to break those shackles where you dominate locally and once every 9 months (around Mar, Apr, May) you finally get dominated and everyone goes - "Oh well, we did pretty well just to be here." - Without some impetus from the manager you may never break that mentality (I mean, you may still go further in the comp by playing well, but this is about pushing your expectations to that level).

• 3 months later...

Archived