Penalty confidence

Do players lose confidence in their penalty-taking abilities if they miss a couple? I have a player with 12 penalty taking and 14 composure, and yet he has a record of 50% (10 penalties taken). He may not be a fantastic penalty taker, but I have had players with far worse penalty-taking attributes score a much higher percentage.

There's a hidden "pressure" attribute which I believe directly or indirectly plays some role in whether a player takes his penalty well in at least some situations (as might "consistency" and "big games" to some extent)

Also bear in mind that 10 penalties is not a particularly big sample, and Premier League players (who usually have a penalties rating of higher than 12) tend to miss around 25% of their efforts.

5 hours ago, blaaklint said:

Do players lose confidence in their penalty-taking abilities if they miss a couple? I have a player with 12 penalty taking and 14 composure, and yet he has a record of 50% (10 penalties taken). He may not be a fantastic penalty taker, but I have had players with far worse penalty-taking attributes score a much higher percentage.

Yes, especially if their other relevant attributes for penalty success are not high.  If he is missing at a rate of 50%, then I suggest that you allocate another kicker for a while.

Archived