Marking at wide free kicks

I've been playing long enough to know the answer to this - but I haven't as yet!

When defending a wide free kick (And to some degree corners) I do not have an option to place a man outside the area. The only options seem to be "join the wall", "mark players in the area" or "stay forward". This inevitably leads to the opposition playing the free kick to one of their players just outside the area - with none of my players being able to close him down. I have to say that my team also take advantage of this when having attacking wide free kicks. Why cannot we place players anywhere on the pitch for set pieces?

Apologies if I've missed something simple. I have searched without success.

• 2 weeks later...

Set pieces are by far the worst aspect of the game in FM18.

You literally can't do anything about some things.

Even with corners, when you place a man outside of the box, he will usually stand around that half-circle.
But plenty of times opposition will have a player near the edge of the area, like 5m from him and he won't move.

I've conceded countless goals after my defender heads it away and then opposition gets a clear shot because you apparently can't prevent it in both corners and freekicks.

Archived