Pompey Promoted

I've just got Pompey promoted to the Championship in my first season after being predicted to finish 14th. Naturally the quality of the squad isn't nearly Championship level, and this is compounded by the fact that the majority of our key players were on loan last season, and only being given a £6000k transfer budget. Essentially i've got a lot of work to do in terms of scouting/squad planning, and it's quite overwhelming :lol: I've never actually managed in the lower leagues before, so this is a big challenge for me. Tactically i'm debating whether to play a defensive kind of possession game, or take advantage of being seen as the leagues 'whipping boys' and try and catch teams with quick transitions. Any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers!

I often start with my team  (Walsall)  and find myself in the same position.  Promotion from League 1 isn't usually that challenging, even with the smallest budget in the league, but the Championship is a huge step up in quality. I have struggled finding players this time around more so than before. The loan market is key, I have found, and free transfers, transfer listed players.

I generally don't go too defensive or you just end up getting battered every week, but not overly attacking either, somewhere in between, I have found that solid tactics with a few nicely placed attack roles, using a structured set up works nicely, if you do well first half of the season, be prepared to adjust when teams click on, and change their approach against you.

• 2 weeks later...

In need of a bit of help/guidance tactically; i'm trying to balance how I want my team to play against what they're actually capable of. This is the tactic:

5ac50ce892ac4_ScreenShot2018-04-04at18_28_17.thumb.png.fbd258645c95d7192589f66fab0acd39.png

Essentially what I want to do is stretch the pitch both horizontally and vertically during build-up, hopefully creating a disconnect between the midfield/defence, thus giving the Treq the time and space to do his thing. Once we've transitioned to attack, the plan is to overload the opposition in central areas, allowing for quick combinations and through-ball opportunities for my Poacher to latch on to. Initially I was going to use two wingers, but I thought that may lack a bit of variation, and with the inclusion of the IW-S he and the Treq can create these central overloads. I've asked the IW to stay wider so that he stretches the pitch. One thing i'm unsure on is the width - do i opt for narrow, wide, or leave it at balanced? Any help will be appreciated, cheers.

Scouring for free agents to save on transfer costs can be a big help. I was able to snag a few in my game in Ligue 1 with a relegation candidate I moved to, so I'm guessing that there will probably be some decent players you can bring in for 1 or 2 year deals to help shore up the gaps while you consolidate.

Archived