Lone striker roles

I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on lone strikers and the role that would best suit the one striker formation. 

I'm assuming the roles that the wingers are playing could be a big factor in what role the lone striker plays. For example having 2 wingers playing as wingers with no CAM would make a target man ineffectual. 

I'm currently using the complete forward role with two inside forwards and no CAM. However, whilst I'm having some success with this, I have found in FM18 that the complete forward role is inconsistent. 

What roles and formation are you using for your lone striker tactic? 

If I don't have an AMC, I usually use a DLF-S since I probably have some attacking players on the wing coming in and it works well with my current team (I Have a beastly Target Man style striker with good passing and vision).

I have used F9 and CF-A/S in the past.

Typically if I don't have the AMC I'm doing the 4-3-3 setup so one of my wingers is likely an IF or Raumdeuter with another being a winger, and I find DLF works well with holding up the ball as we transition to attack, but still has no problems getting into the box for crosses and passes once the team moves forward.

Ive found defensive forwards can be useful too, if supported by attacking wide players.

In a 4-1-4-1 for example though id go with a deep lying forward to link up.

Complete striker is a position i personally only use if the striker is absolute dynamite. Suarez, Lewandowski, Kane.....got to be of that ilk

Archived