I have been reading a few similarly themed threads of late around TIs and PIs and have learned a lot about how different instructions interact and that less can be better at times as the roles/duties are the most important aspect of determining how successful a tactic is. It would appear that I have been making the same mistakes since this new interface was introduced.

For PIs, if a player can't dribble or be effective from long shots, I would automatically set their PI to do it less and for TIs I would have maybe 8 or 9 set thinking that was how you 'refine' your tactic. 

I guess the question I'm asking from this thread is do you guys alter PIs based on individuals attributes or do you set them based on tactic requirements? E.g if your tactic is based on your team pushing up and putting a lot of crosses for a big target man but your full/wing backs have a low crossing rating, would you still have them cross the ball with the thinking your target man will eventually receive a good ball to attack or would you select 'cross less' and look for other ways to create chances?  Such as keeping full backs back and having wingers on a more attacking duty.

I think the obvious answer is yes but the question you need to ask your self is that if you have to restrict a certain action via a PI is he the right player for that role in the first place?

For some players the PI is a no brainier. For example, a winger with poor long shots. Using shoot less often isn’t going to fundamentally change your tactic. However, I’d be more concerned about having a wide player who can’t cross if your tactic is based around a target man

Archived