Change role to suit the player?

Instead of having a rigid tactic with the roles set, is it better to change the roles to set the player in that position?

Say you have a 442 and the tactic has a complete forward as front players role, but the current players best role is defensive forward.

Is it best to change the tactics role to suit the player or leave it for the player to adjust into, even if he doesn't play well in that role?

You would leave the role as it is as this is what makes the tactic work. Imagine it was possible to have a Poacher role at DL and what that would do to the tactic. Now imagine playing a recognised Poacher as a DL. The first would be a disaster but in the second example the guy with the Poacher attributes could probably make a decent fist of playing DL.

1 hour ago, Seagullfan said:

You would leave the role as it is as this is what makes the tactic work. Imagine it was possible to have a Poacher role at DL and what that would do to the tactic. Now imagine playing a recognised Poacher as a DL. The first would be a disaster but in the second example the guy with the Poacher attributes could probably make a decent fist of playing DL.

Its not though is it. I'm taking about changing the tactic to suit the player.

2 hours ago, BamBamBam said:

So say originally having a wide midfielder in the tactic but changing it to Defensive winger to suit the player.  

Then you would be changing how the tactic was set up to work so it would be a different tactic. You are much better off designing a tactic that works and then putting the most suitable players required in each position so it works the way you want it to.  If you don’t have a suitable player to play in a position then you would have to use a player that you felt was most suitable until you could buy one that fitted it.

Just now, BamBamBam said:

That's what I'm saying though.

As a lower league manager I don't have the money to get players in.

So Is it best to change the tactic to suit the player or just hope the player does enough to play in a role he isn't great at?

I always use players that play the role differently, this is my actual tactic for changing games around etc. I don't really make in game changes as such, instead I bring a different type of player on who plays the role different. I wrote about it recently actually to give you a bit of insight. Also ignore the level I'm playing at, as I do this for all levels.

3 hours ago, BamBamBam said:

So say originally having a wide midfielder in the tactic but changing it to Defensive winger to suit the player.  

57 minutes ago, BamBamBam said:

That's what I'm saying though.

As a lower league manager I don't have the money to get players in.

So Is it best to change the tactic to suit the player or just hope the player does enough to play in a role he isn't great at?

If you shoehorn a player into a role he is unsuitable for then I think it’s mainly his decisions that are affected. Of course as Cleon says even 2 players that are natural for a role will play it differently depending on their attributes.

In a LLM save I normally decide what style/tactic I want to play to move up the leagues and maybe think a few seasons ahead and build towards it over time when you can afford the right players.

4 hours ago, Cleon said:

I always use players that play the role differently, this is my actual tactic for changing games around etc. I don't really make in game changes as such, instead I bring a different type of player on who plays the role different. I wrote about it recently actually to give you a bit of insight. Also ignore the level I'm playing at, as I do this for all levels.

So you dont change the tactic to suit the player.

Archived