Starting a YouTube Channel. - help and advice.

Hey guys, 

Was always tempted to start a YT FM channel and was thinking this is probably the year to do it. It's not some mad pursuit at fame in this pretty niche section of YT gaming or anything, I just really want to do this for myself just for the craic tbh.

However, I have no real technology know how or any idea what I'd properly need to get set up. I'm assuming a decent mic or headset? 

Also not to sure if I'd want to record video of me in the corner either, if you know what I mean but maybe I'll give it a go and see how it goes. Perhaps a laptop Webcam is sufficient for this?

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. 

If you are just after recording the game and you speaking over the top with a headset then you can just use the windows game tools. I think its Windows Key + G to activate it.

Then you can take that video and edit it in other software if you want to add other stuff.

I was looking into this a little last  year, but kind of let it slip.

I've recently started recording videos for the first time and have been using OBS to record my screen and a relatively basic laptop webcam. It's free and pretty simple to use, just watch one or two tutorial videos and you should be ready to go. 

In terms of headset, I've been using one with a mic that I bought from Amazon a few years ago for ~£15 and it works perfectly fine.

Good luck with your adventure! I've been really enjoying it so far although I've only put 2 episodes out. 

Thanks yeah I was doing some research last night and watched a few streamers and a few YT channels to get an idea of what other people do. I am leaning towards streaming to start and see where it goes from there. 

I have a good idea for a save I'd like to be mainly for YT though as it'll be a very long term save. I spoke to a friend who does a Rocksmith channel and he uses OBS too and says it's fairly easy to use so I'll definitely look into that too. 

No problem, yeah streaming seems like a good idea, I'm actually going to give it a go tomorrow evening too. I've heard from multiple people that I've asked that it's a really good way to build up your confidence and practise talking while playing the game. 

I also agree it's a better idea to do a long term save on Youtube as I reckon people will be more interested in streams with recognisable players where they can instantly get into your save. Whereas, if you're managing in the lower leagues I guess it takes more time to get to know the players, and can be more personal!

The channel I started last year FM Life I had started a long term youth game before I started the channel, but I got bored of updating the forum, hence starting the channel. I ended up only doing 3 episodes as I also ended up bored of the save after 8 seasons.

I am going to give it another go this year. So will try and make some videos again and actually get the channel with some regular content. Feel free to have a look and let me know what you think of my videos. Any criticism or advice will be taken on board.

I've considered using YouTube to give updates of my game, (and my challenge), but I think there's a real problem with some of the youtube videos that I've seen. Admittedly I haven't watched many, so if there are any genuinely good youtube channels out there, I'd be interested in hearing.

There seems to be a mentality that videos are suitable for when you can't be bothered to write up your progress. People just adlib in a boring voice while they go through the most boring parts of the game. I haven't watched many videos, but, God, they all suck.

If I'm going to watch a video, I expect you to put in ten times the work beforehand you would than if you were writing it up. Have a script. Even if you want to genuinely take us through your look at your facilities or a job search, have some remarks or anecdotes ready. Make it interesting. Do a video of the interesting parts of the game. Let's be honest, that's usually going to be the matches. There's a reason that sky sports show football matches rather than managers talking about their training facilities. Maybe the end of the season. Maybe some bitching about the players on the dynamics screen, but even if you want it to look 'live', you should have prepared or thought about what you're going to do and say beforehand. 

There's a real opportunity for someone to make a real success of FM youtubing, and to create a job out of it, but first people need to treat it like a job and put the work and preparation in.

I of course could be wrong about all of this. Maybe youtubers get the feedback and attention they need and get enjoyment out of it, and if so, good for you.

I just think more people would watch if you put the work in and provided a more polished product. I think that youtube and the ilk are the future of challenges and careers. I think people would rather watch videos each morning on their commute than read through lengthy reports on their phone. 

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the advice, guys. Sorry it's taken so long to get back to these replies. 

I've actually made steps this week to get started. I have bought a decent cam and mic to get me started off and I'm today learning how to do graphics and some other bits and bobs and whathaveyou. I've experimented a bit on twitch but I'm not really confident enough having people watch me live just yet.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived