Napoli - replacing Hamsik and Mertens

josh.hobbs

Hey everybody, 

I’m on my 3rd season with Napoli, having won Serie A last season by 7 pts from Juve and made the Champions League semis, so I’m happy with how I’m doing. I’m looking ahead though at long term replacements for two of my biggest players. Without a doubt, Insigne is my key man (world class winger and Serie A player of the season both times), but Hamsik and Mertens come next and are both in their 30s now. Stats are still great, but o don’t know how long they’ll stay that way. 

I play Hamsik as a centre mid attack and Mertens as a false nine and I’m finding it hard to find anybody that replicates their roles and attributes well. I’ve brought in Asensio as his attacking attributes are fantastic, but he doesn’t have any of the mentals that Hamsik has, which I think is what makes him such a great centre mid. Should I be looking elsewhere? 

As for Mertens; I brought in Origi last season as he’s done well, but he doesn’t quite suit the false nine, which I’m reluctant to change as it is key to the tactic and allowing Insigne to thrive. Who else is a really good false nine? Is it better to find a great CAM and convert them up to a false nine? Dybala would be ideal, but I’ve not got the cash. 

• 2 weeks later...

Mertens: Max Meyer from Schalke. Best posistion is AM, but has played as a false nine in real life i think. You could always train him in that postion if he isnt familiar already. other alternatives to check out on the top of my head: Berardi, Fekir, Balde Keita. 

Hamsik: a unique player, hard to replace. But you could check out Fred from Shakthar or Milinkovic-Savic from Lazio. Both are dynamic CMs with huge potential. 

Apologies if my suggestions are hopeless, i cant remember every detail about these players, so you might think they dont fit your vision of Hamsik & Mertens. 

Wouldn't Asensio be better as the Mertens replacement playing as a false 9? If this is FM18, his finishing attribute is excellent and he has all of the creative talents to play that role superbly. Otherwise, Kasper Dolberg has been exceptional for me as a false 9.

Agree with the above poster's recommendation of Milinkovic-Savic; a wonderfully well-rounded player but one I imagine may have already had a big move 3 seasons in so perhaps tough to obtain. 

Is there anything wrong with Zielinski as your Hamsik replacement? I'd say they're reasonably similar, and Zielinski has great stats. Regarding Mertens Asensio is a superb replacement, his technicals are incredible and he'd probably be even better than Mertens up top. Also could you possibly post screenshots of how the younger players (Diawara, Ounas, Rog, Leandrinho and Gaetano if he had decent potential in your save) are progressing?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived