Leaking goals like a sieve.

Hey guys! 

I'm 3 seasons in to a save with Leeds United, currently 8th in the premier league at the halfway point of the season. I could be so much higher in the league if I could just stop conceding goals so easily. My main tactic is an aggressive 4231 so I'm scoring a lot but whatever I try I concede. I've tried putting both the central mids as DMs, set the fullbacks defensively, but I'm still struggling. Maybe the players are poor, or I can do something in training, but I'm just getting nowhere. 

Any help appreciated!

You kind of pointed out why yourself at the start of the second sentence when you said you play an aggressive 4231. Regardless of the shape, if you play aggressive football then you tend to leave yourself more open, especially if the balance is off. This means that the opposition can by pass your advanced players with one simple ball over the top, down the flanks or through the middle. It also makes you very vulnerable to any kind of counter attacks especially if your players get caught in possession as everyone else is surging forward.

What @Cleon has mentioned is spot on. If you want some more advice you probably need to add some more details over your formation and tactics (player roles, duty, instructions, shape, etc.). Keep on trying, and if you can´t make it work we can help you out here.

One general rule which I tend to stick by for more conventional tactics is to always have a minimum of 3 players on defend duty, usually being 2xCBs and a DM or CM. If you haven´t got that in your tactics it´s worth adopting.   

I've now changed to this: 

Advanced forward a

winger s       Inside forward s

advanced playmaker a   BBM 

anchor 

full back S DCB c  CB d Full back S 

It's working much better! I win back the ball in midfield often due to the central 3 squeezing together and the covering centre back is really important sweeping up through balls and balls over the top. I've also paid much more attention to mental and physical stats of centre backs and centre mids. I think this tactic will see me become a lot more solid and could win something. 

3 hours ago, josh.hobbs said:

I've now changed to this: 

Advanced forward a

winger s       Inside forward s

advanced playmaker a   BBM 

anchor 

full back S DCB c  CB d Full back S 

It's working much better! I win back the ball in midfield often due to the central 3 squeezing together and the covering centre back is really important sweeping up through balls and balls over the top. I've also paid much more attention to mental and physical stats of centre backs and centre mids. I think this tactic will see me become a lot more solid and could win something. 

Nice! Glad to hear you´ve identified your problems and set on your way to solve them :) Good luck on winning something with it :p 

A season on from this post - bought some new centre backs and midfielders and made the Inside forward an RMD. 1st in the Prem by January! However, my Mac HD has given up today, which is devastating, I'm hoping I can recover it without losing game data. I'm on steam, but I'm not sure it was always syncing to the cloud... wish me luck!

On 25/09/2017 at 18:38, josh.hobbs said:

A season on from this post - bought some new centre backs and midfielders and made the Inside forward an RMD. 1st in the Prem by January! However, my Mac HD has given up today, which is devastating, I'm hoping I can recover it without losing game data. I'm on steam, but I'm not sure it was always syncing to the cloud... wish me luck!

Ahhh, such a shame that your computer has died, I hope you can recover something! I´m at least happy to hear that things were going well with your team before your computer gave you the fingers :p 

Thanks mate! I had to replace the hardrive, but I did manage to take my files off before hand, so my save still might be recoverable! If it's not, I'll be gutted as I was loving the thought of a champions league run with Leeds! If it is, I'll start a new save with a European team to try out some different tactics before FM18. This save has taught me how to play the new FM (I hadn't owned a version since 2012.)  

It's still alive! I'm top midway through January. Man United have two games in hand and are chasing me down so the title is unlikely but I'll give it my best. Champions League qualification is the goal now! 

I've tweaked the tactic for home games where I'm the favourite and made the wing back an attack duty which has made me even more dangerous on the right side. More open to counters, but the anchor man is giving me good balance and I'm only using the attack duty on the wing back in the right games. 

Thanks! On a run of 7 wins in a row right now, built mostly from the fact that I'm now solid at the back. As well as putting a screen in front of the back four, I noticed in watching games that my centre backs were closing down too much and leaving space, so I fixed that issue in PI and my defence is now one of the best in the league. Genuinely delighted with the team right now, although injuries have hit quite badly and could scupper my chances of an unlikely late season title challenge. 

Archived