"Preferred position" is too restrictive

itsdare

90% of the time I have to remove this suggested promise in pre-contract talks, because the player will demand a role that makes no sense for them or the club. The best example of this is how DR/DLs often want to be played as a Defensive Full Back, despite having good attributes for a Supporting or Attacking FB/WB.

I think a better and less binary way to expand upon this idea would be the ability to propose a number of other positions/roles that they're good at as a Promise, instead of just forcing the one that happens to fill the circle the best.

I think that would be an improvement.

Getting rid of the assumption that any player, ever, would complain about not being instructed to play like a regular defender only with more emphasis on hoofing would be a start. Some players are very keen to be played in their most natural position IRL. A smaller number might be very keen on being a playmaker or target man. I doubt anyone, anywhere, has ever got upset about their manager not insisting they play a role where they do as little with the ball as humanly possible.

Getting rid of that promise altogether because it's more often unbelievable than not (and the ability to actually have a proper conversation with players about their skills and your expectations is understandably nonexistant) would be better still...

• 1 year later...

Archived