Goalside foot crossing.

I remember watching Bayern Munich play and specifically Douglas Costa's crossing. What stood out to me was the fact that he was crossing far post with his left foot from the right side of the pitch. 

I decided that I wanted to recreate this in my Earthquakes save as I didn't have the personnel to play my standard 4-3-3 narrow. I have been playing exclusively with narrow formations since FM 13 (4-2-3-1 narrow Southampton) and exclusively with the 4-3-3 narrow since fm 15. I have always been able to shape the team to the formation and since my tactic was so dominant my team steamrolled just about every league. 

Unfortunately due to the restrictive MLS player acquisition rules I will not be able to use the 4-3-3. Additionally, the Earthquakes are very wing focused in real life and some of their best players are wingers. So, for the first time in a long time I am being forced to play with wingers. 

I came up with a tactic that I felt would do a good job in replicating what I wanted, however, once I got in game I found that my wingers had an innate aversion to crossing with their goalside foot. 

I am wondering if any of you have had experience with this, or, if you could give me advice on wing play.

59475c1d9d28a_ScreenShot2017-06-18at10_04_56PM.thumb.png.d6470d3e5ce5b04bbd337fa8c426d762.png59475c6c7eed5_ScreenShot2017-06-18at10_08_40PM.thumb.png.dc3167fa752f8225f07cfbdaf789e447.png

PI's:

Gk: Roll it Out, Distribute To Fullbacks

Rb: Stay Wider, Cross Aim Far Post

Lb: Stay Wider

DM: Tackle Harder, Fewer Risky Passes

CMR: Get Further Forward

CML: Get Further Forward, Roam From Position, More Risky Passes

RM (Left Foot): More Risky Passes, Cross More Often, Cross From Deep,Cross Aim Far Post, Cut Inside With Ball

AML: Cross From Deep, Close Down Much More

ST:Move Into Channels

12 hours ago, borivoje213 said:

hmmm, perhaps look at it less of a footballing problem and more of a game mechanic problem?  

Possibly use PPMs 'Develop weaker Foot' or 'Avoids using weaker foot' as appropriate and hope there are more instances?

Yeah, I totally believe at this point that it is impossible to do purely based on game mechanics. I've gone through 4 games so far watching the full match and found that every time he is in the position to cross he decides to either continue dribbling or pass to the striker.

The good news is that the team is performing really well offensively and defensively. So far in the three regular season matches I've played we took two wins and dominated all three games.

The roles are way too limited, part 3554

I've got a right footed left winger with crossing 17. On the very rare occasions he does decide to cross, it's a goal, but he never ever does, no matter how much I encourage him with instructions. It's also impossible to play him at AML, even though I'd like him to be there swinging his crosses in, because there is no role at AML that allows frequent crossing but isn't a winger, running wide with the ball, dribbling etc.

On 2017-6-19 at 07:13, borivoje213 said:

hmmm, perhaps look at it less of a footballing problem and more of a game mechanic problem?  

Possibly use PPMs 'Develop weaker Foot' or 'Avoids using weaker foot' as appropriate and hope there are more instances?

"Uses Outside of Foot" would, theoretically, help.

3 hours ago, borivoje213 said:

Is that one of the ones that you can only get from tutoring?

Sadly I don't think you can train it, like "Curls ball". So yeah only tutoring.

And you know what... I don't remember seeing the outside of foot PPM in any player for a long time now. Maybe it was removed from FM?

Winger, support, with either foot (or opposite foot strength) and a capable full back attacking the wings ahead of him will give you a winger that cuts back and crosses as you wish it to do so.

It won't happen all the time, but it will happen enough.  W/A will get to the byline, W/S will hold back a bit more, more-so if you can get the Full Back on the outside and ahead of him. In my save file on Fm16, I have two wingers on the right wing. The Right-footed Valencia, who combined with his PPMs tends to be more traditional, he'll go down the line, hoof in a cross. And the either foot Julian Draxler (Very strong both feet) who likes to cut inside. Draxler is the one that will cut in to the edge of the box and fire in a cross from the right on his left foot, and ergo has better co-operation with the FB/A behind him compared to Valencia imho.

Personally I'm not really happy with a W/S, FB/A as they tend to get in each others way competing for the same space too often, but when they do click it is a wonderful thing to see, with the overlaps etc. But yeah, try W/S, possibly with cut inside PPM.

Archived