All good except the final shot

Hello all,

Recently started a new career with Borussia Dortmund and frankly It's been really hard maintaining a second place because FOR SOME REASON, Reus, Dembele, Schurrle and Gotze all fail to make the last shot count. 

I mean how could they possibly hit the keeper directly when 2 metres in front of him? I'm assuming for Dembele is the fact that he's 18 and has no idea how to shoot, but Reus and Gotze?! AND SCHURRLE? Any ideas

P.S.: I've updated FM 2016 with 2016 autumn transfers, in case someone's wondering.

P.P.S.: Lost Aubameyang because he wanted to play in CL and never liked Ramos because he always seemed a wee bit weak for me. Got Slimani as a strong headed striker, and some young players from Ajax (2 midfielders) and Zakkaria Bakkali as second choise in case Reus can't play on the left.

Soon I'll post some updates for my current season and squad and whatnot.

Welcome to the forum.

It's pretty difficult to give you any suggestions or answers if we have no idea of how you are playing.  Have a quick read of the "please read" sticky at the top of the forum :thup:.

Ok, so below are the screnshots, as they should have been ( I apologize for that):

1) Squad listing

2) Squad listing part 2

3) My main tactic

4) Instructions - Attacking & Very fluid

So basically I want to play something like Mourinho's defence and, if possible (although new-ish), Conte's finishing. I've been a fan of Der BVB since the first time they were under Klopp and since then watched their games and chose them to manage but never quite got up top.

If there's anything else you need from me, I shall deliver :)

Squad_ Players Players.png

Squad_ Players Players-2.png

Tactics_  Overview-3.png

Tactics_  Overview-5.png

Also, below, first season matches. Because of my impatience of the first matches, i changed a lot of tactics during pre-season and whatnot, that's why it went downhill at some point. But I am really proud I got to be 2nd, even tho this could've been done if I went on break in FM. :lol::lol:

Schedule_  Senior Matches.png

Schedule_  Senior Matches-2.png

Schedule_  Senior Matches-3.png

You have congestion in the final third, as most of your players attack the same spaces + you are using way too many shouts. My advice, think about width in the final third without the need for 2 flying wingbacks. It'd be pretty easy to score against you. With your pushed up defensive line,  plus all those shouts, an average side would get decimated using your system. There are plenty of guides on the forum, plus videos I have done about the 4231. Good sides will always punish you. Remove all the shouts, reduce one CWB to a FB or even a WB on support, add width using one of the IFs. Think about how you are using the halfspaces. At the moment all you are doing is congesting the half spaces. Observe, use the shout, observe again, if it helps. 

It won't matter if you have the world's best players with an unlimited reservoir of funds, you will still ship loads of goals. 

I agree with Rashidi.  As one example you have Dribble More TI, but you have 5 players that have Dribble More in the PI, do you really want more players taking risks by dribbling?  Another is you have 4 players playing risky passes often, then you've added Pass Into Space so more players will try risky passes, but who are those other players going to play through when you have two AP who will tend to be deeper creating for others rather than making runs compared to CM-S, CM-A, BBM-S etc.

Control + Maxed tempo will be super fast 1 touch football, are these chances the players are missing proper chances or are they just rushing a shot off?

Quality players can win you games but a lack of consistency is usually a sign of an unbalanced tactic.

Ok so, I've cut some of the shouts and managed a 4-1 win vs Augsburg, with Schurrle scoring a hattrick (How?!). 

But I have a question: How important are the player instructions vs team instructions? Is it better to have 2-3 player instructions and some for the team or just a team instruction and players having their own instructions? Does this make sense?

Control+very fluid. How's this:

Tactics_  Overview-2.png

Tactics_  Overview.png

38 minutes ago, A_BVB_D said:

Ok so, I've cut some of the shouts and managed a 4-1 win vs Augsburg, with Schurrle scoring a hattrick (How?!). 

But I have a question: How important are the player instructions vs team instructions? Is it better to have 2-3 player instructions and some for the team or just a team instruction and players having their own instructions? Does this make sense?

Control+very fluid. How's this:

Well Schurrle is really your only player looking to get behind opponents often, with the other 4 forward players all looking to create, more than make runs so mostly will look to Schurrle.  If Schurrle is in good form or the opposition give him space he'll do well, otherwise you might be a bit one dimensional.  Filling your midfield three with three playmakers could make you a bit soft in the middle defensively and lack runners when attacking.   I feel like you've fell into the "creators must create all the time and runners run all the time", sometimes its good to have a player who keeps things simple or is just more selective when the try a risky pass or make a run.  I like the amount of cover you have, I think you just need to reduce the number of players trying to create so often.

Roles and Duties are the most important thing IMO, they create combinations between players and create the style of your team.  TI's will just help tweak your teams style, they can help or hinder.  I think PI's are under-utilized, allowing you to tweak certain roles to do something extra or simpler rather than modifying the whole team to do it.  Just don't go crazy with them like people do with TI's, there needs to be a reason you've seen consistently on the field to do it.  Some instructions can just be added for a single game as needed, maybe your winger is on fire and opposition FB is having a nightmare and is on a yellow, you can add some focus to his flank to try and take advantage of it.

Ok, good enough, liked the explanation. But also, for some players like the two AP, i can't tweak their individual instrcutions, which is sad, because Ziyech shoots really well from range and he has Shoot less often which bugs me. As for the DM, i really want a BWM or BBM but Rode is just not my cup of tea, is a bit weak. Sahin is also squimish in DLP zone and this is what I have. To make matters worse, ,I lost twice to Schalke so i have no clue why i'm still managing this team..

Archived