Wingers and crossing

Just want some help wrapping my head around the importance of the crossing attribute for wingers. I would have thought this would be one of the most important attributes for wingers because if they're taking the ball wide, they're going to have to cross it in and if they've got bad stats then they're just going to be giving it away. However, the game often lists players as being good wingers with relatively average crossing ability and I've had these players perform quite well for me in fairly standard 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 tactics (neither maximising or diminishing crossing). Obviously their other technical attributes are making up for their shortcomings. But are these exceptions or should I be able to expect to play poorer crossers out wide normally? What attributes should I be looking at to compensate?

Maybe I am just under-rating scores in the low teens, but I wouldn't have thought Embolo would do so well when rotated out wide (crossing 10/11) to use a FM17 example.

I take the game's recommended position with a grain of salt. Also, it depends on what you want your winger to do. I had a tactic with Oliver Burke on the right wing but had him set as a wide midfielder (crossing still a recommended attribute) but had him playing narrower so he would come inside the opposing full back and pass/shoot rather than outside and cross. 

All depends on on what you are asking really. 

On a slightly different note but along the same lines; I have used Davie Selke as a trequartista before. The role really does not suit him but it did something I wanted - it attracts the ball to the player. I trained Davie to play short simple passes (maybe a few more ppm's to suit what I wanted) and it worked perfectly. The highlighted attributes are for a guide, then it's up to you to set PI's, TI's and player ppm's to suit exactly what you want. 

2 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

Obviously Crossing isn't the only thing to look at. If he's going to be running at pace, whipping those crosses in, Balance is also very important.

Oh that's interesting. I don't think I'd picked up on Balance before but he is quite high for it! I'll have to pay far more attention to that attribute in future.

Would I be correct in thinking that with pace and low crosses set as a TI, the crossing attribute is mitigated somewhat as he'll be trying to run in behind and perform easier crosses? As opposed to Whipped or Floating which might require more skill and a higher stat?

6 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

Obviously Crossing isn't the only thing to look at. If he's going to be running at pace, whipping those crosses in, Balance is also very important.

I'm not sure that balance has an influence on crossing, even if it's a cross that's put in while in the move:

One to check up on.

Just now, Barside said:

I'm not sure that balance has an influence on crossing, even if it's a cross that's put in while in the move:

One to check up on.

It definitely does if it's on the move. I remember a quote from Tony Fallows confirming it. It affects passing and shooting too. 

Thanks for the help! Still, thinking it might be a good idea to tick Work Ball into Box when playing with weaker crossers.

Quick question that's sort of related (to Wingers anyway). Is there much difference between playing someone at LM or LW? I'd assume that the LM would be better balanced, help more defensively but will they still push forward to help with attacks? And is there any reason not to drop players back from LW to LM when lining up more defensively, even if they're (strangely) unfamiliar with the deeper role? Is the WM the deeper equivalent of the IF?

Archived