How to get ST to drop deep in 442

A problem I haven't had til FM17, is how deep my support striker drops in a 4-4-2. I have two amazing strikers in a Newcastle save, but cannot make the most out of my tactic as my support striker stays in line with his partner when someone deep is on the ball. I play every game on standard (and alter if necessary). I have team shape on balanced. 

Now I've tried a few roles and altered team shape but I cannot get him to drop into the AM strata when we are on the ball. The most obvious role for me is the F9, but he won't pull back and offer support until the ball is in a very attacking position. I have tried DLFs, and I have tried going Fluid with the idea it would boost his input into the transitional phase of play, nope. 

If anybody could shed some light that'd be great! 

Thanks

Oddly enough I managed to get a player dropping deep, too deep at times using a DLF (s) but it seemed pretty random, the Advanced forward next to him dropped deeper than him at times too. I Did what RTH suggested, because when defending you basically had 2 players standing on the half way line. The Defensive forward is a nice role if you have the right kind of player, only just started using it,  and it is in a lone striker system, but early signs it could be possible it could work well in a two striker system. 

9 minutes ago, Torskus77 said:

Oddly enough I managed to get a player dropping deep, too deep at times using a DLF (s) but it seemed pretty random, the Advanced forward next to him dropped deeper than him at times too. I Did what RTH suggested, because when defending you basically had 2 players standing on the half way line. The Defensive forward is a nice role if you have the right kind of player, only just started using it,  and it is in a lone striker system, but early signs it could be possible it could work well in a two striker system. 

I feel like that would position him deeper off the ball but when in position he'd return up top. My player is far from a DF besides. It seems bizarre for there not to be straightforward instructions to do a very normal thing in modern day football!

52 minutes ago, Torskus77 said:

It is very player dependent, but not all that long in some cases, if you are playing them every game. 

To be fair i have just seen on his report that it says he could successfully be retrained as an attacking midfielder! I shall wait till the end of the season and train him, use the friendlies as training instead of important games.

would still be great to see if SI could make it easier to tell ST to drop deeper.

Archived