[FM17] AEK Athens | The Rise of an Empire.

fmFutbolManager

• 2 weeks later...

WJMJRdU.pngThe AEK Athens Challenge | The Return of an Empire | 06 January 2020

Progress to date

A good first half to my fourth season at AEK. We were unfortunate to go out of the Champions League. Having been 2-0 up against Juventus, we collapsed and drew 2-2 in the final 10 minutes. Real Madrid only scored four from three corner goals, too.

As for the league, you can see we're going well and have picked up where we left off. Colidio and Aronis have been excellent, but the vultures are circling and I'll do well to hold onto them until the end of the season. The same can be said for the other players we have. No less than 10 bids have come in recently that we've had to knock back.

The youth are progressing very well. We now have an excellent Under 20s team who are doing excellently in their league and developing ahead of schedule. A lot have been getting a run in the first team, too.

The results so far.

v8rD00F.jpg

The league table and stats.

dfYppyq.jpg

UfVDsqA.png

Update on Objectives

I. Improve the facilities

I had a few job interview offers, which I went to. The board ask that I cancel those and stay at the club, and with it would let me negotiate some changes. I managed to get them to agree to improve youth recruitment so hopefully we see the fruits of that in the coming seasons.

• Corporate: Average Top Corporate Facilities
  • Training: Good (no change)
  • Youth: Good (no change)
  •  Junior Coaching: Good (no change)
  • Youth Recruitment: Above Average Established Youth Recruitment

II. Improve the squad personality and determination levels

• Squad Personality: Professional. We've dropped to a professional squad status, probably due to an increase in youth recruitment who are not professional. It is still good enough for me for now.

III. Break up the dominance of Olympiakos

• They're down in fourth place, and having failed last season I cannot see them catching us up. With a league title under our belts this season I think we can mark this objective as achieved. 

IV. Increase the number of Greek youth products promoted to the first team.

• We are losing players to higher reputation teams before they can even break through to the first team. Moreover, some of my more senior players are trying to leave so it'll mean we need to promote some more players, who in turn will attract the attention of higher clubs. It's a vicious circle, but we'll keep doing what we're doing. 

Our current squad is looking like this.

nQ0VP7m.png

Our current under 20s squad is looking like this.

zj1hx8T.jpg

The plan ahead

I think the top five Under 20s above will come through to the youth team over the course of the rest of the season, or certainly at the start of the new season. As players leave us this window I will promote from within to fill the spaces. I'm trying to save up the cash now and secure the future here, rather than spending on more players. I'm including three-year options on new contracts and asking for big percentages of sell on fees.

Hopefully we can progress a little in the Europa League, and secure another league title. Looking forward to getting stuck in!

Oliver Jensen

Archived