[Suggestion] Add 'Line of Confrontation' Team Instruction

Powermonger

This is a follow on from my original thread linked below, which I mentioned changing closing down to pressing and offering various pressing blocks.

Having been doing some additional research, perhaps FM needs a new instruction of Line of Confrontation, which would acts similarly to the Defensive Line but operates from the front. This line is the boundary of when pressing should start but also works in conjunction with the Defensive Line and affects the depth of the team shape. The Pressing (closing down) instruction can then be modified to the intensity or degree of pressing from the Line of Confrontation or within the defensive block.

To implement, instead of having two separate settings of Defensive Line and the Line of Confrontation, the TI screen would operate like the Defensive Line setting but show a mini view of a full playing field separated into segments, Dragging from the left sets the Defensive Line, dragging from the right sets the Line of Confrontation. Basically you are drawing the defensive block with left and right boundaries. You may setup a narrow block or decide to stretch your team, placing the block high up the pitch (Ultra Offensive Pressing), in the middle of the pitch (Offensive Pressing) or in your own half (Defensive Pressing). As you stretch, compress and move the block, the TI will change the label of the type of pressing used.

This would perhaps set the way for more fine-tuned pressing options later.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with this as I don't think that pressing works effectively enough in it's current form. Also didn't this sort of thing use to be possible before they got rid of the sliders? I seem to remember being able to instruct individual players to close down opponents in specific areas of the park

Below is a mock-up of a redesign for the Team Instruction setting of Defensive Line and Pressing (closing down) instructions with an added Line of Confrontation.

ZKqlKav.png

As per the description in the first post, the Defensive line is placed by moving the last green highlighted area forwards and backwards. The highlight front area is where on the field the Line of Confrontation is expected to begin, i.e. how far up the pitch you want your team to start pressing the opposition.

The arrows on the front are an extra setting for establishing high pressure zones you wish to focus on for pressing. The two red arrows mean your team will attempt more pressure on the sides of the field, while the middle will not be pressed as much. The arrows are clickable to toggle on and off the areas to press.

The orange sections are to indicate the intensity of the pressing as set by a renamed Closing Down setting to Pressing Intensity. More intensity means more players will get involved more to press the opponents when they cross into the Line of Confrontation zone.

Note that dragging around the Defensive Line and Line of Confrontation placement also acts as affecting your teams compactness, so if they are close together then your defensive shape will be more compact but if placed further apart then the team will be stretched a bit more.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • SI Staff

Thanks for adding this @Powermonger, this is something that is already covered by other FR requests from previous years, however I appreciate you taking the time to add further thoughts. This also really is part of the other suggestion you made in the thread that you previously linked also, as this is an aspect of closing down.

This has been reviewed, so I am closing off.

I hope you continue to enjoy FM18 :)

Cheers,

Nic

Archived