Dulwich Hamlet Academy Challenge - Champion Hill to Champions League!

Season 10 Review

A disappointing season this one, we played well enough but were simply not converting the chances we created, a quick look at team stats confirms we had the lowest shot accuracy in the league, not sure what I can do about that, my strikers have decent finishing, composure & technique. Mbeba in particular only scored 9 goals in 40 appearances, that’s unacceptable although he had 11 assists, Kemp was far better with 16 goals and is starting to look the part. I sent another striker on loan to Met Police and he did well and is improving, I might give him the first 10 games of the season ahead of Mbeba to see how he does.

Sky_Bet_League_Two_Overview_Stages.pngtemporary image hosting

Most disappointing of all was the worst Youth Intake I’ve had so far, a GK who might one day be ok but nothing else with any potential at all, last year’s wasn’t much better, I used to look forward to Youth Intake day, now I’m starting to dread it…….

So I’m stuck in league 2, too good to go down, not good enough to go up. League 2 seems to be the only league where it’s impossible to make money. I was making £500k profit a year in the National League, I think in league 1 attendances and a good solidarity payment would see you turn a nice profit but without a good Cup run I’m losing money each season in league 2.

Having said that, we are getting a new stadium built at a cost of £8 million, I now have a loan of £10k a month to pay on top of everything else, the capacity will be lower than my current stadium so I don’t really see the point but it’s out of my hands.

Only good news is the development of Kemp and the emergence of my new star Centre Back, MacDonald. He came to me 3 years ago as a centre back who couldn’t run, jump, mark or tackle. He was very highly rated however, so although I couldn’t put him anywhere near my first team I kept an eye on him in the Under 18’s, he developed steadily over a couple of years to the point where he wasn’t much worse than my current first choice so I decided he had earn't his chance, he grabbed that with both hands and never lost his place improving very rapidly.

Anthony_Kemp_Overview_Profile.pngimage hosting free

Scot_Mac_Donald_Overview_Profile.pnghosting images

2 bright spots in an otherwise dull season.

So, next season, who knows. With 3 games to go we could have made the play offs with 3 wins, instead we lost all 3 games. Fine margins, there is still potential in the squad and therefore hope that we can get on a roll to see us push into the play offs next year, but who knows? Feeling a bit negative, not like me, time to go again. 

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Season 2 intake

Only going to bother tagging the first 2. Not sure the rest will come close to the first team.

Season2intake_zpsx4ddt0t6.jpg

yp19a_zpsuusquo0c.jpg

yp19b_zpscsnmrfqx.jpg

I am hoping to improve Draper as a CWB, as my current player is a bit rubbish there. Currently hovering just above the relegation zone. Hopefully just going to do enough to survive

2 minutes ago, Mr U Rosler said:

Good job Gareth, McCarthy looks good! A left footer as well.

Should be a bit easier next season.

P.s If you're still using the tactic, I've taken off 'get stuck in'

I am indeed mate. I also tried tweaking the two CB's a little to see if i could stop leaking as many goals. I cannot say whether or not it worked either way. I set one as a BPD and one as Defensive CB, left the cover and other option the same though. It seemed to work in a  few games, but not sure overall.

I was giving away a lot of Pens, thankfully the keeper saved a lot of them though :)

Season 11 Review

Sky_Bet_League_Two_Overview_Stages.pngpost images

A ‘nearly’ season finishing 1 spot outside the playoffs. We were top 6 all season before tailing off, we just aren’t scoring enough goals and AI teams will often recover a 1 goal deficit late in the game so we had too many draws. Simple fact is my players are not good enough, my Goalkeeper is rated as ‘4 stars’, one of the best players in my squad but he is only rated as good for National League, we don’t have any players rated as good for league 2 and are operating with a team of National League and Conference North/South players.

Think I’ll move a few on next season in the hope of freshening up the squad and forcing me to use some high potential younger players, until I get some League 2 standard players in the team I’m unlikely to get out of the division. I have a couple of players with League 1 potential and a few with League 2 so I think we’ll get there eventually.

At least we had a good cup run and pulled Liverpool away which banked some much needed money.

Kemp continued his development and hammered in 26 goals, he’s the real deal. His contract is up in a year and although he’s happy to re-sign his idiot of an agent is putting in a non negotiable release clause at a low level which I know will be triggered if I agree to it, so going to have to play chicken and run the contract down until he agrees to it without the clause, lose him and I might as well give up. 

My 2 other strikers I had hopes for have been re-evaluated to only have National League potential, that’s no good to me however I’ve had a guy out on loan, Fogarty, who is now more highly rated and he’ll now be my choice to partner Kemp, getting another Striker close to the quality of Kemp is a big priority.

Intake wise, I got a right back and midfielder with decent potential, but again current ability is woeful despite my exceptional level of Junior Coaching so they will serve only as back ups for the next couple of years.

Next Season

My first 11 is decent with 4 players currently rated Conference South/North ability but with potential to be League 2/league 1 quality, get 2 or 3 of them to league 2 standard and we’ll get up. Gonna take another couple of years I’m afraid.

13 hours ago, Mr U Rosler said:

Good job Gareth, McCarthy looks good! A left footer as well.

Should be a bit easier next season.

P.s If you're still using the tactic, I've taken off 'get stuck in'

Going back to your earlier comment. I am absolutely flying now with your tweak and a couple of mine.

I set the LCB to a Defensive CB with Cover, the RCB is now set to a Ball Playing Defender with Defend and I have set the right striker to an Advanced Forward.

Season3MidSeason_zpsdftypa3k.jpg

Carr is on 14 goals already and apparently the record is 18. It's only October!

Season 4 Update

Started the season of so well sitting in 2nd towards the end of October we lost all form and went 11 games with no win, that pushed us out of the playoffs. At this point i decided to start from scratch with my tactics. I decided to lose the counter mentality and have changed to an attacking one. Using a 343 attacking as my current main tactic we started to get a little bit of form going. Still currently working on it i found we dominated nearly every game but missed a lot of chances and were very prone on the counter which always cost us in our defeats. with 5 games to go we broke in to the playoffs but our vulnerability on the counter costed us and with no win in the last 5 we finished 11th.

5895642d8a3c9_DulwichHamletFootballClub_Competitions.thumb.png.e6a8b0aefe15060977bad3994a4c2b0b.png

The Team

58956871cd985_DulwichHamletFootballClub_Overview-3.thumb.png.fc67bb54ee9b5768b5969bdff841b0ef.png58956851ba360_DulwichHamletFootballClub_Overview-2.thumb.png.02491c2641b988a7521b9e6df8a2efb4.png5895644e0c6a7_DulwichHamletFootballClub_Overview.thumb.png.7cbc24b20cea68a87dee561f18a8e022.png

I am currently tweaking between these 3 tactics i like the 343 but cant seem to stop the counter any tips appreciated. My 433 seems to work okay but tend to draw most games. My 532 i tend to use to try and close tight games out

Youth Player Progress

Three players have now made over 50 appearances for the first team! Moses Williams (85), Alfonsinho (54) and Dean Murray (53). Alfonisinho is wanted by a few championship teams so will more than likely lose him in the summer.

589568fc7d672_MosesWilliams_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.04fc11b54e78c61a8d17105237cdeeb6.png589568f0e371f_Afonsinho_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.1feb7ebf9b561fa1e7fef6e3db953482.png589568f6c9b95_DeanMurray_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.1545dbe794897352f4b56537e6682f14.png

Terry Grainger made his break through season and looks to be decent

5895691e33686_TerryGrainger_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.fbe3b20454d7a90badf31187fa268910.png

The three new players from the intake this season have made a few appearances already. Target man John-Paul Pooley scored 7 goals in 8 starts i'm looking forward to his potential. Scottish centre back Dominic Fraser looks like he could become better than Williams and will line up in the 3 man defence next season. Danny Southernwood will be played as a shadow striker off the bench mainly next season.

58956a4603423_John-PaulPooley_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.c3c79b7a05d7930562c5970dc5597630.png58956a3fdc00c_DominicFraser_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.b1f19c59f2189e1d20bc7518432245f8.png58956a3a2a547_DannySouthernwood_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.a0c56bbd8787d67452bde9ae310fb32d.png

Next Season

Tweak the tactics to make them defensively stronger and push on for playoffs!!

Career Overview

Season	League					Pos	Top Goalscorer			Top Youth Prospect		Achievements			
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017/18	Vanarama National South			1st	Daniel Carr (19)		Will Hoddle 			Champions
2018/19 Vanarama National			14th 	Daniel Carr (20)		Will Hoddle
2019/20 Vanarama National			18th	Daniel Carr (19)		Afonsinho
2020/21 Vanarama National			11th	Daniel Carr (15)		Afonsinho

Looks like you're not too far off Iain, some great prospects coming through the system. Good chance of play-offs next season I think.

Ethan is also getting some quality through his Academy as well, looks like you're both using some kind of face pack as your guys look like they're out of a boy band and mine look they've just crawled out from under a rock!

At last!

That was a nervy season, we were in the automatic promotion spot pretty much all season but I never really felt confident, we were grinding massively to stay there nicking wins by the odd goal, symptomatic of a team performing well above their station.

We were 3 points clear of 4th place with 3 games to go, even after a win and a draw we went into the last game of the season in a position to blow it, sure enough we were 2-0 down after 20 minutes and out of the game, we needed 1 of Leyton Orient, Bristol Rovers or Bury not to win. Bury & Bristol Rovers were both 2 nil up at half time, Leyton Orient were 0-0, I spent the entire 2nd half of my match with the latest score widget open transfixed by the Leyton Orient scoreline, if they scored we were done for, fortunately they didn’t and the 0-0 clicked to full time and we were up!

Sky_Bet_League_Two_Overview_Stages.pngpictures upload

It was a good all round team performance but finally having 2 Strikers scoring made the difference I think.

Youth intake was awful again, I’ve been able to go and re-sign Ross McFarlane who I lost 5 years ago, he’s a lot better than my current crop of midfielders which is telling. I’m hope the sizable reputation boost we’ve got will mean we get some of the better quality re-gens moving forward.

We have just been taken over, they allegedly cleared our debt but only by taking out a £5 million loan which I have to pay back at £50k a month. Not sure how much better the finances will be in League 1, TV money is £400k which will cover most of my loan repayments, I’m not sure how large the end of season solidarity payment is, this will be key.

Next Season is all about staying up, playing at a higher level should push a few of my players on, a few will be found wanting I’m sure. It’s time to be bold and make the Goal Keeping change, my youth keeper has been making steady progress and is now not far behind my current first choice but he has a lot of potential which will only be fulfilled by playing first team football.

We also move into our new stadium, nice timing that!

I think the Jump from League 2 to league 1 is not very big in terms of finances and hopefully not team quality, but League 1 to Championship is huge both in terms of quality of opposition and massive revenues which will see profit in the millions and the opportunity to develop infrastructure once again.

Need 2 or 3 seasons in League 1, improving the team before I’m ready for that!        

Star Players

Kemp, still the main man up front, development has stalled slightly but he’s still young, hoping the step up to League 1 will push him on.

Anthony_Kemp_Overview_Profile.pngimage free hosting

Fogarty, didn’t really develop last season although he performed very well. Hoping the step up in class will bring him on.

Richard_Fogarty_Overview_Profile.pngpost a picture

O’Flaherty, has the ability to change games with his flair, but again he didn’t improve last season, really needs to push on if he is to fulfill his potential. 

Billy_O_Flaherty_Overview_Profile.pngscreen capture windows

Robinson, a solid season and improving steadily, a highly mobile runner from midfield. High hopes for this one.

Elliott_Robinson_Overview_Profile.pngimage upload no registration

Curtis Thomas, he’s improved massively and has arguably been my best player this season. Still has a lot of potential and he looks like he will fulfill it. Now my Captain.

Curtis_Thomas_Overview_Profile.pngphoto host

Romelle Weir – Time for this young man to step up after improving steadily for a couple of years. Could become our record appearance maker if he fulfills his considerable potential.

Romelle_Weir_Overview_Profile.pnguploading pictures

McFarlane, the big fella’s back. Nice two footed Centre Back who I converted to midfield. Great to get him back.

Scott_Mc_Farlane_Overview_Profile.pngscreenshot software

12 hours ago, Mr U Rosler said:

Looks like you're not too far off Iain, some great prospects coming through the system. Good chance of play-offs next season I think.

Ethan is also getting some quality through his Academy as well, looks like you're both using some kind of face pack as your guys look like they're out of a boy band and mine look they've just crawled out from under a rock!

I am not sure about that Fraser guy, looks like some sort of child molester!

31 minutes ago, Mr U Rosler said:

Only 9 points off the play offs, you can do it!

Yeah to be fair the whole league was ridiculously tight.

Unfortunately I am about to lose Carr, can't afford his wage demands.

The board still won't upgrade my Youth Facilities either.

Season 13 Review

Our first season in League 1 went relatively smoothly the only concern was that it looked like it would take over 50 points to stay up the league was so competitive, in the end 49 points would have been enough and we were safe with a couple of games to go.

Sky_Bet_League_One_Overview_Stages.pngadult photo sharing

Not a big jump in quality from League 2 to League 1 with the exception of a couple of big teams, Sunderland in particular this year although we picked up 4 points off them in our 2 meetings anyway.

We are 2nd worst supported team in the League with an average gate of just 5400 which is disappointing and means we are at a financial disadvantage, however pulling Man U away in the 3rd round of the FA Cup eased the financial pressures this season, can’t rely on that every year though.

On the pitch we performed solidly in all areas despite some key injuries. Fogarty who is still rated as a conference North/South player was superb scoring 21 league goals, again whilst he still has potential he simply isn’t getting any better but as long as he’s performing I’ll pick him.

Richard_Fogarty_Overview_Profile.pnghow to use print screen

My Conference North/South rated Striker ripping up League 1

Kemp has a relatively poor season with only 8 goals, he rated as much better than Fogarty, so much for star ratings!

My Keeper, Romelle Weir has improved as I hoped and is now rated as decent for League 1. Unfortunately there is a list of 12 clubs after him and he’s requested to leave, whilst I have competent back ups there is no one with his potential. I’ll be looking for £2m+ if I lose him.

My Right Back & Captain Curtis Thomas also wants out, not much interest in him at present and I have 2 excellent back ups so other than losing a leader I’m not too concerned about that one.

This year’s intake was good, I have a fantastic Striker with 17 acceleration and is already a good finisher (although he picked up a knock and slowed down a bit), he’s a left footer so Kemp better pull his finger out if he wants to stay in the team.

I also got an excellent right back, I was re-training him to midfield but if I do lose Thomas he can play at Right Back and should kill it with 14 crossing.

Ollie_Philpott_Overview_Profile.pngfree photo hosting

Ollie's gonna be good me thinks.

Kristian_Griffiths_Overview_Profile_2.pnadult image upload

Good to see stong technical players strating to come through. Might have to retrain him to fit him in the team.

Season 14 Preview  

A lot will depend on who we lose although I’m hopeful we can cover adequately, with 4 teams relegated it’s a big old trap door so we still have to be wary but I’m looking for a top half finish before thinking about the play-offs the season after. Robinson was injured a lot this season so I’d like him to have a good run in the team to see how good he really can be.

FA trophy helped me a lot in National League + some good FA cup runs.

I had more money in National League than I did in League 2 or 1.

Selling out our 5500 stadium week in week out in league 1. Capacity needs increasing, but again, no money to do it.

I'm still running with the same set up (except removing 'get stuck in').

I can't see a BPD affecting things much one way or the other, if you have a footballing centre back then why not.

Getting separation in the forwards is probably a good thing with the Advanced Forward but I've resisted the temptation so far.

If I get a good 'target man' type forward i'd be very tempted to go Target Man/Support with Advanced Forward or poacher but currently still running with the Deep Lying Forwards.

Tempting to tweak things tactically but in this save you will pretty much always have a worse team than the majority of your opponents so i'm loathe to mess with something I know works.

I never get sick of that!

After a bit of a scare finished mid table 2nd season in League 1, will post later.

Bit of a pause in progress as i'm working on a new tactic set to roll out for next season, think i'm onto something.......

8 minutes ago, Mr U Rosler said:

I never get sick of that!

After a bit of a scare finished mid table 2nd season in League 1, will post later.

Bit of a pause in progress as i'm working on a new tactic set to roll out for next season, think i'm onto something.......

Oooh interesting!

I was flying in National, but then Carr got injured for 9 months and I've been failing to score so much :(

Did make it to the FA Cup 2nd round, lost 2-1 to Sunderland away, but means I finally got some money :) Not that the board will spend any of it on Youth or Junior :(

I think I am close to my next intake, so fingers crossed!

Season 14 Review (2nd in League 1)

After a comfortable first season in league 1, the second season was more difficult, we spent a good few weeks in the relegation places mid season and I started to get that sinking feeling. We were however playing well, creating more and better chances than the vast majority of our opponents, fortunately from the end of January we hit a sensational run of form picking up 24 points in 10 games that moved us firmly into mid table. This gives me hope for next season.

Sky_Bet_League_One_Overview_Stages.pngpost a picture

Selling our keeper for £1.2 million was a mistake I think although he would be permanently sulking if I refused to let him go and would likely leave for nothing at the end of his contract.

Our Academy is a production line of good Strikers at the moment, I wouldn’t normally complain but I would kill for a natural DM or a midfielder who can actually tackle. I keep getting players who are rated ‘2 star’ with 5 star potential but most of them don’t really seem to improve. One striker, Sahiti looks really good and he’s the first ‘target man’ type of striker I’ve had. He is already attracting attention from big clubs but I think I’ll try and stick to my guns and hold onto him. I also got a Goal Keeper with high potential, this was much needed and they do seem to develop well. He may see action next season.

Looking at my squad, I have very few tutoring options as the vast majority of my squad are too young to tutor even though they are established first team players. With each generation of youth potentially better than the last you can end up letting players go every year and permanently having a young squad with poor current ability but high potential ability. I will review this and try and identify good long term players who although they might not have the highest potential, are reliable and have good leadership & mental stats and try to keep them around long term. You can’t win nothing with kids as they say.

A new problem this season is International Duty, some games I am missing 4 of my first choice eleven which is a huge burden to carry, some of them seem to miss a third of the season, come back tired yet I’m still paying their wages. Most of them are in Under 21’s, they are unlikely to get called up at full international level so hopefully the problem will resolve itself when they are too old for selection.

In the off season I’ve been able to bring my wage bill down from £30k per week to £20k by getting rid of players who want big money but don’t perform, this should stabilize the finances although spending money on any improvements will still be out of the question until we get into the Championship.

Next Season      

We now have a very young team, too young to be consistent I think so survival for a couple of seasons whilst they ‘grow up’ would be fine. I need a DM and a Left Back badly so fingers crossed for this in the next youth untake. I have 4 strikers who are all much the same, that can make selection difficult, hopefully one or two will begin to stand out over the season.

Sorry for lack of updates guys. Its the start of pre season over here in Western Australia so i have lost a lot of my FM time with training and games. I ended up winning the league! We march onto League 2 but most of my players are getting tapped up and are coming to me asking to move on. I'm hoping that when we turn professional they will accept the full time contract and i can at least hold on to them for one season and hopefully stay up, Will try and get a better season review up depending on time.

58a19eae70161_DulwichHamletFootballClub_Competitions.thumb.png.8b172445a3f86fde0cfec8bdd5fa4a24.png

Good Job Iain,

Looks like you wrecked the Division..... +45 Goal Difference!

Making good progress.

I'm still stuck in League one, although making slow progress, will report on Season 15 later!

p.s. Will probably limit my save to 30 seasons, theoretically at least i could still be alive then! Best get a move on.

Getting a bit behind with my updates, already into my next season.

Season 15 Review

After 14 seasons of tactical stability this season was spent trying out various tactics and formations. I thought I’d cracked it when a flat 451 had me in the automatic promotion spots around Christmas although if I’m honest this was largely on the back of my new Star Striker, Sahiti, scoring at a rate of a goal a game. Sure enough, my board accepted an offer for him in January and results dropped off considerably to the point where I started testing new tactics again. 

After a bit of fluffing around I arrived at a 41212 diamond with play focused through the middle just in time to see my form pick up and make the play-offs. Unfortunatley Rotheram saw us off comfortably over 2 legs and that was that. Looking forward to running with the new Diamond next season to see how it goes over the long term.

Sky_Bet_League_One_Overview_Stages_4.pnghow to screenshot on windows

On the team front, I lost my star Striker Sahiti but was able to buy back Romelle Weir the Star Keeper I lost a couple of years ago, he is currently rated my best player and good for League One, I’m hoping he’ll make a big difference moving forward.

Elsewhere I have a promising left footed Striker, Barnes who I have high hopes for but I have not produced a decent central midfielder or central defender for years, my Head of Youth development has retired so hopefully we’ll see some in the next intake with a new guy in charge.

We have decent Full Backs, Strikers and an AMC but the spine of the team is very weak and is making life very difficult. Flaherty is still a first choice central midfielder and is only rated as decent for Conference North/South.

Next Season

Hoping the 41212 Diamond proves consistent over the season, maybe sneak the playoffs but I really need the see the next generation of central midfielders and central defenders come through the Academy.

Season 16 Review

We’ll that was a great season. We got an unexpected Automatic Promotion finishing 2nd! In fact the only time we were in Automatic Promotion spot was after the final game of the season!

Sky_Bet_League_One_Overview_Stages_5.pngpic host

I started out with the 41212 Diamond with play focused through the middle, we were grinding out results and were in the play off places consistently, predicted to finish last I should have been happy with that level of over performance but around the end of January that little intuition started kicking in and I had a strong impulse to try a formation which I thought would give us the best possible pitch coverage and the perfect balance between attack & defence and attacking play through the middle and the flanks.

Only after playing over a 1000 games under the same Match Engine do I tend to get those insights.

I decided I needed 3 center backs, with only 2 center backs I was finding myself facing many 2 on 2 counter attacking situations, particularly late in games when AI teams get very aggressive, additionally, Wing Backs are too effective in this game to not use them, so with a back three one could pull wide when required to do so if your Wingback is caught up the pitch.

I’d also decide I could NEVER play without a player in the DM position, without one any formation with an AMC would see him sat their unchallenged pinging through balls all match long, but with the security of a back 3 we could put him on Support Duty so he would contribute to build up play effectively.

So with the obligatory Wingbacks (with 3 central defenders, again we are secure enough to position them as proper Wingbacks) we have a 3 – 3 defensive set up. This leaves 4 outfield players to distribute, I had determined at this point that I must have 2 Strikers, even when playing badly all it took was these 2 to string a couple of passes together and you could be in on goal. It also complimented my counter attacking philosophy. I had been happy with the behavior of Deep Lying Forwards so I stuck with this, which leaves us with 2 midfielders set to my preferred role of Box to Box as they contribute equally to attack and defense and naturally ‘roam from position’ when attacking adding variety to play.         

So we ended up with this formation and minimal team instructions.

Dulwich_Hamlet_Overview_2.pngimage hosting 20mb

Sure enough results picked up a touch and with teams around us starting to bottle it we moved closer to the top of the league. With 3 games to go we faced Boston at home, my normally reliable Striker, Fogarty missed 4 clear cut chances in the first half and sure enough they scored with their only shot on target, we lost 1-0, got the ‘they won’t believe they’ve lost this’ message and we were now 6th with 2 games to go. Next up was an away Fixture against league leaders Tranmere, the toughest game of the season, I was now concerned with missing out on the Play Offs, but they didn’t turn up, perhaps nervous that they could win the title that game and we got a comfortable 2-0 win.

We were now 3rd with one game to go, other results had gone Tranmere’s way (and mine) and they were now Champions despite their defeat. We were now 3rd, level on points with Coventry in 2nd but they had far superior goal difference so we needed to better their result.

We were both at home. We were 2-0 up at half time and playing superbly, we added a 3rd just after half time and our job was done. I opened up the current score ‘widget’ to see Coventry were winning 1-0 against Portsmouth, we just needed Portsmouth to score, sure enough they equalized in the 74th minute and I had an agonizing wait to see whether they could hang on for the rest of the game which fortunately they did and we were up!

I felt I’d been shafted so many times by this game it was great to finally see everything go my way.

Billy_O_Flaherty_Overview_Profile.pngimage hosting 10mb limit

O'Flaherty was the player of the season. Always bangs in 5 or 6 direct free kicks which helps, note he's rated as Decent for National League. He's going to have to perform in the Championship now.

So the Championship beckons, we are £500k overdrawn but we will get £75k a week TV money, considering my player wage bill is only £38k a week we should start to return a nice monthly profit as well as get a big fat solidarity payment at the end of the season (I think).

So we should quickly improve our finances.

Relegation remains a real possibility but I’m not afraid of that (as long as I don’t get sacked). 1 season in the Championship should set us up financially for a few seasons, playing at a higher level should bring my players on nicely so if we do go down we will be well positioned to come straight back up.

Having said that, we will fight tooth and nail to stay up, even if we are stuck in the Championship for a good few seasons the revenue will enable us to build up the infrastructure of the Club. First up would be to extend the grounds 5500 capacity, we were already selling out in league 1. We could double that attendance in the Championship.

I’ve looked at bringing back the 2 players I lost who could improve the squad considerably, Sahiti the young Striker I lost last year will not currently consider moving back to me and Ryan Booth who was a Striker rated as having Premier League potential when I produced him 10 years ago is without a club after a wasted career but even he will not currently come back to me. That could well change so I’m keeping a close eye on them, my very survival could depend on bringing one of them back to the Club.

Deep breath, here comes the Championship….. we go again!

Season 4 intake

A couple of decent prospects. Hopefully the striker will come good, as I am struggling to score goals at the minute.

Season4intake_zpsmibfnvbs.jpg

I've only tagged the first 3, as the rest won't cut it. Pretty sure the third one won't either tbh, but I tagged him anyway.

yp21a_zpsjym0oxb9.jpg This guy is quick, which may be useful.

yp21b_zpsiqcvqbl1.jpg

yp21c_zpsene5kspm.jpg Unsure as to whether or not he will make it.

Time will tell if these guys make it.

10 games to go in the Championship and it could go either way.

If someone had offered me 39 points from 36 games at the start of the season I would have taken it. But I would also have expected to be more than 1 point clear of the relegation places.

3 more wins and a couple of draws should do it.

Sky_Bet_Championship_Overview_Stages.pnghow to take screenshots

Err, despite getting to 50 points I just got relegated, with the last kick of the season. :mad::mad::mad:

I needed draw in my last game to stay up and was drawing 1-1 after 90 minutes and was congratulating myself on staying up, then in the 91st minute we gave away a penalty and that was that.

Sky_Bet_Championship_Overview_Stages_3.padult image

Good job I wasn't playing on my laptop as it would have been thrown against some walls.

I got shafted all season, giving away a penalty on average every 4 games, we missed 5 of the 6 penalties we were awarded ourselves.

Can't fault the team, we played well all season, our goal difference wasn't even bad we just got shafted at key moments.

Post Relegation 

New experience for me so I played on a bit.

Managed to keep the squad together, 2 players asked to leave, I said they could go if their valuations were met, they are so pants no one bid for them so I didn't lose anyone.

Morale was fine and despite a predicted finish of 23rd we are dishing out some punishment in League 1 winning 6 of our first 8 games, winning the last 2 home games 4-0, 5-0 so play offs look nailed on and we should be in the mix for an automatic spot.

We got £5 million as a solidarity payment from the Championship so the finances should be ok for a couple of seasons by which time I expect to be back in the Championship.

My request to expand the stadium has been agreed to and we will soon have a capacity of 7700 which will help gate receipts a bit.

So relegation was not the end of the world, although it felt like it at the time!  

Archived