Dulwich Hamlet Academy Challenge - Champion Hill to Champions League!

Greetings all,

I’ve enjoyed academy challenges before but the popular ones on here allow teams from lots of leagues all over the world which is great, however we all enjoy vastly different experiences and I cannot really relate my experiences in the English Leagues to someone trying to work their way up through the Greek leagues for example.

So I wanted to put up a very specific Academy Challenge where hopefully a few of us can share a similar journey, these are notoriously difficult and having a few people trailblazing a path should provide both inspiration and practical help to those who have tried and failed this sort of challenge before.

As is customary we are seeking a team currently outside the playable leagues who we can adopt once they have been promoted into the lowest playable English league in the game, the choice of team is absolutely key, slogging it out for 8 years in Conference South with a hopeless squad whilst you lose loads of cash is not my idea of fun so we are after a team with a solid foundation and a decent starting squad……. As it happens there is such a team.......... and they play in Pink!

Dulwichhamlet.pnghow to screen capture

Introducing Dulwich Hamlet. 
The club was formed in 1893, by Lorraine 'Pa' Wilson. In 1907 they joined both the Isthmian League and the Spartan League, leaving the latter at the end of the 1907–08 season.[2] In 1919–20 the club won its first Isthmian League title, winning the league on goal average against Nunhead. They also won the FA Amateur Cup, beating Tufnell Park 1–0 in the final at the Den.

The club won the league again in 1925–26, and the FA Amateur Cup for a second time in 1931–32 win a 7–1 win against Marine in the final.[2] The following season the club won their third league title. In 1933–34 they reached the Amateur Cup final again, but lost 2–1 to Leyton. The two clubs met in the final again in 1936–37, with Dulwich winning 2–0.

In 1948–49 the club won the Isthmian League for a fourth time. A fifth Isthmian League title – in the restructured First Division – was won in 1977–78, but after several years of gradual decline, the club finished bottom of the Premier Division in 1989–90, and were relegated to Division One. They were promoted back to the Premier Division at the end of the 1991–92 season after finishing third in Division One. In 1998–99 the club reached the first round of the FA Cup for the first time since 1948, losing 1–0 to Southport.
After finishing bottom of the Premier Division in 2000–01, the club were relegated back to Division One. After finishing seventh in 2003–04, the club played off against Wealdstone for a place in the Premier Division after league re-organisation, but lost 5–4 on penalties after a 2–2 draw. In 2010–11 Dulwich finished fifth and entered the promotion play-offs, beating Bognor Regis Town 3–1 in the semi-finals before losing 4–3 to Leatherhead in the final.[3] The following season the club finished third, again qualifying for the promotion play-offs. After beating Folkestone Invicta 2–1 in the semi-finals, they lost the final 1–0 to Bognor Regis.[2] They returned to the Premier Division after winning the Division One South title on the last day of the 2012–13 season with a 1–1 draw against Burgess Hill Town.

In 2014–15 Dulwich finished fourth in the Premier Division, qualifying for the play-offs. However, they lost 2–1 at Margate in the semi-finals.[4] The following season the club finished fifth, and reached the play-off final after winning 1–0 at Bognor Regis Town in the semi-final,[5] before going on to lose 3–1 at East Thurrock United.[6]

We can’t really call them a sleeping giant as they’ve achieved nothing of note, yet they seem well placed for success with OK facilities for this level and gates which should prevent a financial meltdown with prudent financial management. Based in South East London the potential for growing their supporter base should be high and somehow, despite just being promoted they are predicted to finish 4th so their playing squad is fairly strong with a couple of caveats as noted below. 

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OBJECTIVE

TO WIN THE PREMIER LEAGUE AND CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WITHOUT EVER SIGNING A PLAYER

RULES
  • You must NOT sign any players during the duration of the Challenge using only your starting squad and academy players that come through your system.
  • You MAY re-sign any player you have lost from your starting squad or who has come through your Academy System that has been poached by another team but is now interested in coming back (Loan or permanent).
  • You cannot sign ‘greyed’ out players but can use them if you need to.
  • You may not bring in loan players (apart from players who have come through your academy) 
  • You must set you manager as having ‘Sunday League’ playing experience.

SET UP
Start a new game, you may choose any leagues you wish to run (I choose just English, Conference North/South & above).

Go into advanced set up and follow the screens below.

Ensure the 3 feeder leagues into conference North/South are ticked as above.

• Use a manager to go on holiday to 22 June 2017. Make a save at this date so you can reload if you need to until Dulwich are promoted. (shouldn’t take more than a couple of goes).
  • Process to the 25th June, check conference south, if Dulwich are there take control with a new manager. If not, reload 22nd June and repeat until you can take control of Dulwich.
  • You will need to retire your ‘holiday manager’, just wait till it cycles to the manager with 200 + messages and retire him.

TIPS  
As we need to develop existing players and produce academy players with the highest CA/PA we need to develop both training facilities, the volume and quality of our coaches and increase the level of Junior Coaching, Youth Level and Youth recruitment.

You will need to ask your board for much of this, when taking the role you will need to request to add ‘develop players through the youth system’ as philosophy to make this much easier.

All of the above costs loads of cash be careful not to over extend. 

Squad Overview
Depending on who you are unable to tie down to a contract, you will have a good keeper, 2 good full backs, decent centre backs, decent central midfielders and wide players, 1 good striker and a couple of decent back up strikers.
I suspect the media predicted 4th was based on retaining Quade Taylor which I was unable to do, so we have a bit of work on our hands to make sure we perform in line with our expectations of making the playoffs.

Whilst not the strongest squad, with good tactics and management we have an outside chance of promotion in the first season although this may well hinge on your first intake of youth players which arrive late in the season (March) and whether any are good enough to go straight into your first team.

I needed to retrain players and play them out of position to fit my preferred tactic.

My squad ready for start of season 1 and my first game in charge!

Dulwich_Hamlet_Overview.pngpicture share

Getting started
You need to get into contract negotiations asap or you’ll lose some of your best players, forget ‘non contract’ pay as you play deals as you’ll lose any decent player to a rival, if they request this you can normally replace this and offer a part time contract, your assistant manager will suggest an appropriate weekly wage, be sure to remove the contract buffs to the right or they’ll get a week’s salary and a match fee!

Once you have your guys tied down you can clear any players on non-contracts you don’t need and get to work with your first team squad.

Unfortunately you will likely lose Quade Taylor and maybe one or two of your better players which is a shame.

I’d put in a request for an extra coach and also request an increase in junior coaching whilst you have some cash. If they say no, go back every month until you get what you want.

After that, its time to press on! 

Season 1 Review
A great start to our challenge. After a strong start and then a big wobble we finished the strongest of our competitors to take the automatic promotion spot based largely on a solid defence. We also made the final of the FA Trophy which we lost however the revenue from this run ensured we turned a nice profit for the season.

Top youth prospects

We had some excellent youth prospects 2 of which immediately made my first team with another couple lined up for next season.

Shaun slotted straight into my Anchor Man position, although he is equally suited to a central midfield role.

High teamwork, work rate and aggression and a super passer at this level. Potential future Club Captain.

Performing for me already, could grow into a monster.

Greg now has a starting birth in my midfield

Already good in the air, high teamwork, work rate and aggression and a good passer at this level.

We are already producing players with the potential to be better than we already have.

Finances are stable, I've been able to add an extra coach and request 1 upgrade in junior coaching. Our average gate was 850 which is pretty good, interested to see how this picks up in the National League.

Kevin Nolan was at the Club but picked up 2 big injuries so I didn't get to see how he performed, the few games I played he wasn't up to much and I was glad to get him off the wage bill. 

Objectives for Season 2
Predicted 23rd and tipped for relegation I will be seeking to consolidate, make some cash and look at which part of our infrastructure we can improve next.

I think the squad has enough about it to stay clear of trouble, but who knows. My starting 11 now includes 3 of my Academy Graduates from last year, with all this game time I’ll be expecting them to progress strongly.

I need a Striker or 2 in the next intake, Quade Taylor is without a Club, I’ve been ‘courting’ him but so far he won’t come back to us. I’ll need a talented youth Goalkeeper at some point over the next 4 or 5 seasons, getting one of those is always a relief.   

Onwards we go!

Roll of Honour

Mr U Rosler - Conference South Champions 2017/18, FA Trophy Winner 2022/23 & 2023/24, National League Champions 2023/24

Gareth Winter - Conference South Champions 2018/19

Iain White - Conference South Champions 2017/18

XaW - Conference South Champions 2017/18, Promotion from National league via playoffs 2018/19, FA Trophy Winner 2018/19

2 hours ago, Mr U Rosler said:

Gareth, 

Were you able to keep most of the squad together?

Have you asked the board to increase junior coaching?

I've nearly finished season 2, will put up a summary later.

Yeah I kept most of the squad. One guy retired and that Quade Taylor guy was already gone.

i signed as many as I could on a part time contract. I'm worried about my lack of depth though. Only one GK.

i increased my coaching and it shows I can have one more but as soon as I try and hire one it says i have too many :(

Season 2 Review

I’m pleased to report that the difference in quality between Conference South and National is not that great, in fact we got as high as 3rd position in November before we suffered an injury crisis which began with losing our best Striker, Daniel Carr for 10 months.

This hammer blow was followed by a succession of major injuries which seem to focus around my strikers which forced me to play a midfielder upfront for much of the season.

Vanarama_National_League_Overview_Stagesphotoupload

After our strong start the season became one of disappointment, we lost a relatively easy FA Trophy Semi Final to Stockport who are a division below us based largely on much of my first team being injured, our youth intake was abysmal with only 1 player with any hope of making first team football, fortunately at least he is a Striker, played a few games before he also got injured.

To add insult to injury, our Star Keeper Chandler Halwood and Centre Back Mathew George are refusing to sign a new contract and it looks like we will lose them, I’ve been playing my 17 year old keeper for a couple of months in preparation for him taking over the No1 spot next season, he’s coming along well but he is nowhere near the level of Halwood. I now have a problem at Centre Back, Sykes is an option but I’m reluctant to use him here and waste his offensive talents, will review some youngsters and might have to take a punt on one of them.

I was unable to secure Quade Taylor, he ended up joining Harrogate in a league below us and on less money than I was offering, very annoying. His contract is up at the end of June and if I can bag him it will solve my centre back issues.

On a positive note, my 2 great prospects from last year are improving well as outlined below. I was doubly disappointed with my youth intake as I had increased Junior Coaching to an even higher level. One more bad intake and my Head of Youth development is getting canned!

Financially we had another good season, average gate jumped to 1500 which I feel is sufficient to enable us to go full time professional, but the board refused my request. With over £200,000 in the bank I also asked for improved training facilities but again I was knocked back.

Denis_Jelley_Overview_Profile.pngpic upload

Our only prospect from this years youth intake, the interestingly named Denis Jelley. Good 'mentals' and flair but a lot of work to do before he can fire me out of this division.

Season 3 Preview

With the loss of Halwood & George we are starting this season weaker than last season. I don’t think we have the firepower at the moment to get out of the division so probably the best I can hope for is to stay out of trouble, take another run at the FA Trophy, improve those players with potential in the squad and persuade the board to either go full time or upgrade the training facilities.

And we really need a decent youth intake with a Centre Back and a Star Striker……. Here’s hoping… 

Hot Prospect Player Update

Shaun_Sykes_Overview_Profile_2.pngimage upload

Shaun Sykes

Year on Year improvements

+1 Attributes points - Dribbling, Finishing, Free Kicks, Corners, Heading, Passing, Tackling, Composure, Concentration, Decisions, Leadership, Off the Ball, Positioning, Vision, Work Rate, Balance, Jumping Reach

+ 2 Attribute points - Marking, Anticipation, Stamina, Strength

TOTAL = +25 Attribute Points

Gregory_Luyten_Overview_Profile_2.pngphotos upload

Greg Luyten

+1 Attribute Points - Technique, Bravery, Decisions, Leadership, Off the Ball, Vision, Balance, Stamina, Strength

+2 Attribute Points - None

Total = +9 points

Considering we are still part time that's good progress. Greg Luyten's development is more inline with my expectations, Shaun's exceptional progress must be down to some hidden attributes... he's gonna be a monster.

Season 3 Update

As expected, a tougher season than the last, we were in a relegation battle until January where we were able to string some wins together.

Vanarama_National_League_Overview_Stagesphotoupload

Semi's of FA Trophy again narrowly losing to Wrexham over 2 legs.

Unable to re-sign any of the players we lost, Chandler Hallwood didn't pick up a Club, I tried to resign him in February but he didn't like our league position. Went back a month later and he'd retired aged 22!

Intake was poor again, keeping getting high potential left backs and that's it. I'm trying to turn one into a centre back.

We now have over £300K in the bank but board won't spend a penny improving anything.

However, I now have the basis of a decent squad, my young players are improving well and just need game time, I think in a couple of seasons we can push into the playoffs.

Interestingly I was offered the Sunderland job out of the blue, they are a Championship side now but still a great offer and one that would not be turned down in real life!

Steve_LL_Clayton_Inbox.pnggifs upload

Season 4 Preview  

I'm anticipating a top half finish and good cup runs to bring in extra income hoping once we have £400K the Club will agree to improve the training facilities or go professional. I'm expecting further progress from my young players so the season after we can push for the playoffs and start to think about getting into the football league proper.

Hot Prospects - Lets see how my great hopes are coming on.

Shaun_Sykes_Overview_Profile_3.pngfree image uploading

+1 Attribute Points - crossing, dribbling, first touch, heading, long shot, long throw, penalty taking, tackling, technique, composure, decisions, flair, off the ball, positioning, acceleration, agility, balance, jumping reach, pace

+2 Attribute Points - Anticipation, Stamina, Strength

Total = 25

Now rated a potential for League 1...becoming the main man.

Gregory_Luyten_Overview_Profile_3.pngfree image host

+1 Attribute Points - long throws, penalty taking, anticipation, composure, leadership, acceleration, agility, balance, pace, stamina

+2 Attribute Points - off the ball, strength

Total = 14

Getting there.

And we'll follow our centre back project, positionally awkward at the moment, but a 6 footer, good tackling, good base to build on pace, strength, positioning, we'll really need to work on getting that marking stat up.

Leon_Payne_Overview_Profile.pngfree upload 

Season 1 Update

Finally finished the season. Unfortunately I lost in the playoff final, after finishing 2nd in the league.

table1718_zpslmwhgkln.jpg

My players did ok. Player of the year and Top Scorer awards,

Top Scorer

Player of the Season

Squad

I am not looking forward to next season though as both strikers are going to retire :(

You had quite a different starting squad to me.

Shame about the striking situation, you really need strikers in your next intake, looks like you'll have to retrain someone.

Have you requested increase in Junior Coaching, here?

Dulwich_Hamlet_Overview_Overview_2.jpgfree uploader

Not an option for me as I've maxed it out but any time you see 'increase junior coaching' you should go for it.

Apologies if you know this already!

7 minutes ago, Mr U Rosler said:

You had quite a different starting squad to me.

Shame about the striking situation, you really need strikers in your next intake, looks like you'll have to retrain someone.

Have you requested increase in Junior Coaching, here?

Dulwich_Hamlet_Overview_Overview_2.jpgfree uploader

Not an option for me as I've maxed it out but any time you see 'increase junior coaching' you should go for it.

Apologies if you know this already!

Yeah sadly, although I have the option, I don't have the finances :(

Season 4 Update

We started poorly losing the first 3 games and I thought we were in for another grim relegation battle. I'd left my assistant manager to manage the friendly matches, god knows what he was doing but none of my first team were match fit, i'm gonna do friendlies myself from now on as this no doubt contributed to our slow start.

Anyway, we soon picked up and actually made the play offs against all expectations. We drew Dagenham & Redbridge, after missing 4 clear cut chances in the first half of the first leg I could read the writing on the wall, they scored from their only shot on target and were awarded a penalty in the first 5 minutes of the second leg and that was that.

Vanarama_National_League_Overview_Stagespic host

Once the dust has settled i'll have to be happy with 4th place but its crushing to lose in the play offs especially when we were by far the better team over both legs, at least they went on to lose the final.

Youth intake was pretty poor again, no defenders, I have a 2 footed striker who might become good but there is no one threatening to make the first team, however my current first team is developing well, I expect playoffs every season now until i'm promoted, I still don't think I have the strike force to win the division, but we have stellar midfield and a good right back who are carrying us through games

Season 5 Preview

I expect play-offs now. I have one Striker, Denis Jelley who I noted earlier, who is making slow progress and although currently only rated '2 star' has five start potential, my only hope is to play him every game and try and improve him to the point where he can fire me to the title, however his goal scoring record is awful so far although he is proving to be creative. My retrained Centre Back Leon Payne is making steady progress but is getting low match ratings week in, week out. All I can do is keep giving him match experience and hope he grows into the fine player he could be.     

Player Watch

Shaun_Sykes_Overview_Profile_4.pngscreenshot windows 7

+1 Attribute Point - Crossing, Marking, Composure, Concentration, Decisions, Leadership, Work Rate, Acceleration, Stamina, Strength

+2 Attribute Point - none

Progress is slowing now, 10 points a year for the next 2 or 3 seasons will still make him an excellent academy product.

Gregory_Luyten_Overview_Profile_4.pngfree photo upload

+1 Attribute Point - Corners, Crossing, Finishing, First Touch, Long Throws, Marking, Anticipation, Bravery, Flair, Leadership, Positioning, Vision, Agility, Strength

+1 Attribute Point - Composure, Balance, Pace, Stamina

-1 Atrribute Point - Dribbling

Great season, really beginning to progress well.

Leon_Payne_Overview_Profile_2.pngfree picture upload

+1 Attribute Point - First Touch, Marking, Anticipation, Composure, Concentration, Decisions, Determination, Off the Ball, Vision, Acceleration, Agility

+2 Attribute Points - Balance

+3 Attribute Points - Stamina, Strength

Total + 19

Pleasing progress, couple more seasons like that and he'll be able to hold his own in this division.

Yeah I have ended up fast tracking a few of the youth players as I didn't have enough cover, I will post pics later.

They are now first team players keeping out players like Nolan (despite him being 3.5-4 star and them being poor), mainly due to his fitness.

So finally found some time!

All set up got through preseason and re signed the bulk of players lost a few. Here is my starting squad

Dulwich Hamlet Football Club_ Players Players.png

Started with a counter attacking 442 2 games is i have a 1-1 draw after conceding late and a massive 5-1 victory over Chelmsford. Will have the whole weekend to get right into the save. Will keep you posted

Dulwich Hamlet Football Club_  Overview.png

Just taken over the team, and are starting to assess my squad. Already noticing a couple of very talented players that should be capable for us. I also got the board in on the new philosophy of producing youngsters. I've gotten in a, for this level, great HoYD and I have high hopes for us. Going into the friendlies now, so hopefully we can get used to the tactic and have a good start to the season.

Just got my Youth Intake. A couple of players that are going to get promoted instantly.

season2intake_zpscti2lrgl.jpg

Wayne Edwards

edwards_zpsbe25avon.jpg

Allan Jiminez

jiminez_zpsoypefjds.jpg

Going to give them both some game time over the next couple of months. Sadly my league form is going downhill and I am now only 1pt clear...

It went right down to the wire.,,

table1819_zpsbetzzrsb.jpg

We lost the final game of the season to Eastbourne, but thankfully Sutton lost to Tonbridge. Had a really bad wobble where we lost a couple in a row.

Thankfully we got there in the end though :) Now to try and stay in the next league and retain some players.

Good Job Gareth :thup:

Season 5 Review
We were unable to make the play offs this year, we were in and out of the play off places all year but we tailed off towards the end and missed out. Pretty disappointed about that.

Plymouth from the Championship came in for Shaun Sykes, I was torn but realistically I couldn’t stand in his way. Had it been a League 2 or League 1 team I may have put up a fight, but I could not deny him a move to a Championship side and the whole squad would have been up in arms. I got a deal worth £270k for him, not bad considering he is valued at £20k. Some of this money is based on appearances but he’s only made 2 substitute appearances all season and is languishing in the under 23’s.

Not sure I did the right thing. 

Luyten also asked to leave, so I offered him out at £300k hoping that no bids came in for him, fortunately they didn’t. He’s fairly happy that I tried but he still wants to leave and no way will he re-sign unless we get promoted before his contract runs out. I fear a bid before next season and I’ll have a tough decision to make.

My Striker who can’t score, Jelley, is already accomplished in midfield so I’ve played him there instead of Sykes, funnily enough he can score from midfield and is coming along nicely.

This means my young 2 footed striker (Bremner) has become first choice Striker alongside Carr and has been doing well both in performance and development (I always prioritise 2 footed players). Carr, by the way has been killing it with 25 goals.

We had a great FA Cup run which saw us make the 3rd round, unfortunately didn’t get any of the big boys or a televised match but pulled League 1 Mansfield at home, got a good 1-1 draw at home before losing 1-0 away despite playing them off the park. We had a 4,000 sell out, I was expecting a nice gate for the return fixture but they could only muster 3,500….. however, this bodes well for our future attendances as we move up the leagues (eventually).

I’m getting 1 good player per Youth Intake at the moment, this year sees a lovely 2 footed centre back, however I think he’d be better in midfield. He’s accomplished at DM but I’ve already re-trained a left back who is now exceptional here. Not sure what to do with him but he needs to be played, I might go for a full midfield re-train as Harris is not getting any better and I might lose Luyten. Will ponder this.

A star of the future for sure.

Our player sales and cup run meant we got over the £500,000 balance at which point the board agreed to improve the training facilities which should be completed by September. The first step up a long road and slightly wasted whilst we are part time but it’s better than the money being sat in the bank.

A possible issue has been raised as a bug whereby it’s very difficult to raise the standard of Youth Recruitment, I believe this affects PA of academy products and will render our challenge more difficult until its resolved but not impossible. I’m hoping for a quick fix on this but doubt we’ll get one.

Season 6 Preview
Getting a bit fed up of this League now but I have no right to expect promotion still predicted to finish 23rd and be relegated, I do expect play offs though and with my team steadily improving we should make them this year proving we don’t lose our top talent.

The National League is the hardest to get out of with only one automatic promotion spot and had been a bottle neck in previous saves, I think League 2 has 3 automatic promotion spots so its much easier to get out of once you’re established.

Time to suck it up and get on with it!

I'm not about halfway into the season and I'm competing for the title. Whitehawk are our main competitor and at the moment they are 4 points ahead of me, but we do have a game in hand. Daniel Carr have been amazing this season with 31 goals in 33 games. We are also in the 3rd round of the FA Cup, and we got a big tie when Fulham are coming to Champion Hill Stadium.

Be interested in the crowd and your portion of the gate receipts.

I've just seen off league 1 Bolton in the 2nd round of the FA CUP, now got League 2 Leyton Orient in 3rd Round, fancy my chances.

An away draw to Man U has to be worth at least £500K? Keep waiting for that big draw, 

For the first match against Fulham I got £144k as TV revenue and the stadium was full with 3000 attendance. Looking forward to see how much I get after the rematch.

Thats good, i've not had a televised game yet. If they televise the replay as well you're laughing.

Once promoted the board increase the stadium capacity to 4000 which i've been selling out for fa cup games.

Always used to use your Tactics Mr Rosler, Back a few years when I last played FM

Not bought the game for a few years now, but really enjoyed reading your thread.... maybe getting the itch back, maybe not,

This is a fun read, and a great idea, 

Good luck !  \o/

Archived