How to keep motivated after a setback or bad luck

I am currently in my third season with villareal, the second season i finished 4th and qualified for the Champions League playoff and reached the europa league semis being put out by Ajax. I had a very tough road to the semis knocking out Napoli, Porto and chelsea to then by undone by Ajax. I took being put out on the chin as i had some serious bad luck with two starter fullbacks left and right getting serious injuries. Then my back up left back gets injured and i am having to play the last 5 games with a makeshift backline. I barely finished on 4th just beating sevilla. Now onto the 3rd season, I got Lyon in the playoff who where the strongest of the unseeded teams and ofcourse i get them, also i understand its football and these things happen as i imagined lyon would have been thinking the same - why villareal. I lost 3-1 away and won 1-0 at home blowing them out the park and was unlucky not to be up by 2 and put them out. as we had many chances to seal the game. They also had a man sent off just after 45´.....so another season of the europa league.

The reason i am explaining this is because i am asking other FMrs - how do they get through difficult periods such as this ?, i know i am going to be finishing 4th for a few years as i cant match Atletico, Real or barca who have a constant stake on the top 3 and are more financially powerful. Am i being to harsh on myself ?  The reason i chose La Liga is a the challenge of winning the league. 

I know it seems like the game has it in for you sometimes, but it does balance itself out.

I thought the reward for finally winning the league would be an easier Champions League group, having had Barcelona, Bayern and Real in my group for each of the first 3 seasons. Bayern, however, had contrived to finish second, and hence ended up in my group (along with Monaco) and pipped me to top spot on the final matchday (I beat them 1-0 at home they won 3-1 at there place with a late late late goal to see them pip me on head to head).

I was certain that once again, I'd get a tough 2nd round match and fail to make it past the quarters,k but lo and behold, I got one of the easiest Champions League runs I've had in any FM in recent memory - Celtic (who somehow won their group), Liverpool (I tend to do OK against teams from my country), and Ajax, leaving me on the brink of history - the clubs 2nd all time Champions League final. The fact that I have to play Bayern again leaves me with somewhat mixed emotions though.

Long story short, if you play for long enough, it'll come good, you'll get your break, you just need to take advantage.

What goals have you set yourself when you started the save? Multiplayer saves are always easier to be motivated because there is another person or people to be envious of your successes or joyous in your failures... but with one player you just have yourself. You therefore have to set targets ... if your target pre-game is to end up top of hall of fame for instance.. then you already know it's going to take a long long time... or you should start again with a bigger team. If your target is to take a smaller side and win the treble ... then you should carry on, because that will only be rewarding if it is a hard road where you have to earn it (no point attempting that sort of challenge with Barcelona or Real Madrid).

My longest saves where I have the easiest motivation is to start at either end of the spectrum i.e. Arsenal where my first targets are to race to top of hall of fame and sign a striker who becomes record goalscorer... once these are achieved I then start trying to knock off as many of the Steam achievements.. or I may start setting new targets like only promoting players from my u21s/u18s and no more signings etc.... Or start as an unknown minnow and work way to champions league final.

(I find if I start with a mediocre team in one of the top divisions it doesn't take long before you are a perennial title challenger and regret that I just didn't start as one so I could buy or start with some of the legends like Messi).

Thank you for the replies, I took into account what puffas said. I haven't played FM since I posted here on Wed.

It's worked wonders - I got so engrossed in each match that I wasn't having fun because I was expecting more than what my team is capable of. Also that's why I play fm I can get completely lost in the teams I am assembling and if things don't go well - I suffer with the team (or the dots on the screen). Perspective is key, there's 99% losers in football, there is only one winner and my team isn't in that 1% yet. I am Villareal a small club trying to break the Madrid, Barcelona monopoly. It works both ways. If the stars align for one season and I achieve what I set out to do then this game of dots and numbers will transcend just numbers and become far much more than just that. 

Regarding motivation westychimp, I spent over 1000 hours on fm15 because I enjoyed two saves I had going, both i didn't limit myself to one team.

I started with the team I support celtic. I won the league 3 seasons I was there getting a treble In my last season. Also great results in Europe, Europa semi finals in first season, champions league round 16 the next and then I didn't qualify from my group in my last. I was bored of winning the league and the USA national team came in for me. When I first started the save it was a "make celtic a power in Europe again". However I found a lot of fun and joy of treating like I would if I was a manager. I thought that it would be challenge to qualify for the world cup. But I played 4 games and left for dortmund. The job opened up I applied and surprisingly got, I only lasted half a season and finished 4th in the bundesliga then the spurs manager got fired and it showed in my feed and I applied for that. I got that Job and then I was hell bent on winning the prem. I spent 6 seasons at spurs but never won it. I won the Europa league and only reached the last 8 of the champions league after a fun but tough 6 seasons. Then the Liverpool Job came up - I got that job and spent 4 years there building a squad I finished 2nd twice finishing behind Chelsea each season never winning the league but I won the fa cup however did nothing in the champions league only reaching the last 8. Then PSG came in for me and I accepted as I wanted to win the champions league and a league title. First season in trumped the league and cup but lost in the semis of the champions league but the kicker was the manager who inherited my team won the premier league the season I left, yeah that was a sting. After that I never went back to the save as I had others but to this day it's the save I look back on and want to have one like it again. A challenge each season, to beat Chelsea, to win in England, to stealing players to win the champions league as I always thought I was one star away from winning. At the start if the save I was very stingy with my money and mostly buying young but as the season progressed I found myself using my budget on one player.

So 14/15 seasons and the only leagues I won was the Scottish prem and league 1 and a few cups and a Europe league.

It was a very fun save and losing was a part of it. Just like football, you pick yourself up and start the next season then the disappointment fades and turns into hope. 

2 hours ago, vanderbonnar said:

Thank you for the replies, I took into account what puffas said. I haven't played FM since I posted here on Wed.

It's worked wonders - I got so engrossed in each match that I wasn't having fun because I was expecting more than what my team is capable of. Also that's why I play fm I can get completely lost in the teams I am assembling and if things don't go well - I suffer with the team (or the dots on the screen). Perspective is key, there's 99% losers in football, there is only one winner and my team isn't in that 1% yet. I am Villareal a small club trying to break the Madrid, Barcelona monopoly. It works both ways. If the stars align for one season and I achieve what I set out to do then this game of dots and numbers will transcend just numbers and become far much more than just that. 

Yea it's good to be realistic. Winning La Liga with Villareal may take quite a few seasons to build your squad and really refine your tactic. I'm glad that a break refreshed things for you. I've gotten to the point where I don't need to take breaks. I just plow ahead and try to put bad results out of my mind. I'll just focus on scouting or something for a bit until I'm ready to continue playing

Archived