Blurry Font - Is it possible to change?

Fusss

Hi

After a bit of help/advice/guidance if possible.

I am having an issue on FM17 where the text (not in 3D match, actual game text) is very blurry and not sharp at all.  It is very hard to read, and therefore making it not possible to play the new game.  It is an issue I have raised in the Tech forum but without solution unfortunately.

Graphics drivers etc are all up to date, but I notice on the forum there a few people stating the same issue.

I have attached a screenshot, although it is hard to show on the screenshot, on actual screen its very blurry.

My laptop has Intel Integrated graphics (I know these aren’t great) and its max resolution is 1366x768.  FM16 looks absolutely fine and still does when I go back and compare.

As there isn’t an actual tech solution to solve this, is there a possible solution by adjusting the fonts on the base skins etc?

I like using the Standard Dark skin that comes with the game.  The FM16 fonts and sizes looks absolutely fine, is there a way I can change the new dark skin to the previous FM16 fonts/sizes, or change fonts & sizes completely to trial and error until I find something that works?

I am completely new to this, I have read the guides but I am not confident in how to do this, if someone wouldn’t mind giving me some guidance or confirming that this is possible?

Thank you

fm1.png

fm2.png

I have the same issue, though it only really shows on the light skin for me. There are a couple of things you can do the easiest is to set the zoom mode to 125% from the preferences menu, though if that increases everything too much you can edit the fonts yourself.

First you'll need to download and switch to the base skin and then in the fonts folder for the base skin will be several xml files, the main one you want is the one called 'text' open that and near the top will be these lines:

<real id="font_size_xxsmall" value="6.7" /> <!-- 9px -->
  <real id="font_size_xsmall" value="8.1" /> <!-- 11px -->
  <real id="font_size_small" value="8.8" /> <!-- 12px -->
  <real id="font_size_normal" value="9.7" /> <!-- 13px -->
  <real id="font_size_large" value="11.2" /> <!-- 15px -->
  <real id="font_size_xlarge" value="13.7" /> <!-- 18px -->
  <real id="font_size_xxlarge" value="16.6" /> <!-- 22px -->

and change the value numbers until the text is no longer blurry, changing the normal font size from 9.7 to just 10 seemed to fix the problem for me.

21 minutes ago, michaeltmurrayuk said:

I have the same issue, though it only really shows on the light skin for me. There are a couple of things you can do the easiest is to set the zoom mode to 125% from the preferences menu, though if that increases everything too much you can edit the fonts yourself.

First you'll need to download and switch to the base skin and then in the fonts folder for the base skin will be several xml files, the main one you want is the one called 'text' open that and near the top will be these lines:

<real id="font_size_xxsmall" value="6.7" /> <!-- 9px -->
  <real id="font_size_xsmall" value="8.1" /> <!-- 11px -->
  <real id="font_size_small" value="8.8" /> <!-- 12px -->
  <real id="font_size_normal" value="9.7" /> <!-- 13px -->
  <real id="font_size_large" value="11.2" /> <!-- 15px -->
  <real id="font_size_xlarge" value="13.7" /> <!-- 18px -->
  <real id="font_size_xxlarge" value="16.6" /> <!-- 22px -->

and change the value numbers until the text is no longer blurry, changing the normal font size from 9.7 to just 10 seemed to fix the problem for me.

Great thank you Michael.

I'll have a little play around when I get the chance and let you know how it goes.

How to you differentiate on that between which text it is? 

For example if it's the attributes, inbox, position etc?

Guesswork for the most part. If you are using the base skin then I have copied over all the various font xml files, so you just need to open them and adjust the font sizes if they are listed, and that should cover most of the text in the game, for the other bits you need to find the individual xml file that controls the panel in question as some of the font sizes are set in the individual panel files.

Though hopefully SI will find and fix the problem with the first patch as the font sizes haven't changed from FM16, so it must be the way the fonts are rendered that is causing problems on some computers.

I've had a little play and no joy unfortunately.  I've attached a couple of screenshots.

Is there a way to change the actual font?  Almost feels like because its too bold or something, need a slimmer font maybe?

Any other suggestions to improve the screenshots?  Are you using a similar resolution?

I hope they do otherwise I won't be able to play this years version, surprised there hasn't been many more posts regards this. 

Blur1.png

Blur2.png

On 10/11/2016 at 04:40, Qemyst said:

Want non-blurry font? Goto Preferences then the Interface tab and turn Rendering Mode to Software instead of GPU assisted and apply.

Voila.

Tried it mate many times :(

Just seems to be something odd with this year's version as 16 still looks fine on the same laptop 

I agree with Fuss though, changing even the fonts won't change the blurry though, because I am using custom fonts for my skin and I still see a little blurry.

Compare my previous FM 16 skin and to FM 17

PIidthI.png

FM 16 ^

HRIJGn.jpg

FM 17 ^

Zoom to the pictures and you can really tell this year the game font is some what blurry not to an extent, but a little bit.

1 hour ago, Wells said:

I agree with Fuss though, changing even the fonts won't change the blurry though, because I am using custom fonts for my skin and I still see a little blurry.

Compare my previous FM 16 skin and to FM 17

PIidthI.png

FM 16 ^

HRIJGn.jpg

FM 17 ^

Zoom to the pictures and you can really tell this year the game font is some what blurry not to an extent, but a little bit.

Such a shame, really does affect the enjoyment, not even started a save yet and I've played every single version since 99/00 :(

Can't get a refund from steam either as I've had too many hours game play, all of which have been trying to find a fix, not even pressed continue.

Nice skin by the way, which one is that?

Archived