My Story by Lee Rothery

LEEMOD

DECEMBER 2021

You would assume that by the below results I'd be unhappy but actually I'm not at all, we played some top teams this month and played so well in those last three games I find it hard to fault my players, of course it would have been nice to win those but I'm really encouraged my the performances and hope we can now kick on and really push on. 

It's very likely we'll be entering the loan market in January, it depends on what we can find and what the wages are.

OHuAtn.jpg

YNXBSz.jpg

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JANUARY 2022

Well before I dive into the results and league I'd like to show you three exciting players who joined us in the window and who have featured in all of the last 3 games which is probably no coincidence that it as coincided with our good form.

P6r3Av.jpg

gaJmYA.jpg

LGaorf.jpg

We have been playing so well but the win at Dessel was especially sweet given the rival of words me and their manager have been exchanging in the media. I believe we can catch those two teams above us as we've played most of the teams around us now at least twice.

4dcLJG.jpg

EiFTpG.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

FEB 2022

Against Boussu we were terrible but the two away wins this month were very impressive and in terms of player performances Soliev has been incredible down the left and Fernandes in the middle has been nothing short of superb. 

Can we catch Deinze? I would wager not but we'll be doing all we can!

gpJWeI.jpg

nRWgxb.jpg

MARCH 2022

March has been a suberb month for us again, we are playing with a certain swagger and demolishing teams now but winning the league this year seems out of the question so once again it could well be the playoffs again I fear, surely it has to be our year this year?

Soliev has been the difference in most of the games, this month his form reads, 8.3, 7.8, 7.5  - I'm definitely keen on seeing if I can sign him permanently in the summer but I doubt his parent club will allow it but they are from Uzbekistan so you never know we could get our man, he really is superb!

LcUGQl.jpg

8xEaJL.jpg

APRIL 2022

We ended up with a playoff place as is our custom now each year, I was however impressed with the character shown by my players against Waasland-Beveren we were 0-2 down at half time but after much shouting and different team instructions we dominated them second half. 

We now head into the playoffs where we face Cercle Brugge & WS Bruxelles from our own division and Westerlo again who finished dead last of the top division. Surely, we cannot finish 2nd again?! 

In terms of my own future my contract ends on June 30th and I do think our playoff performances will determine a lot of what happens next, I just feel that I've taken them as far as I can and for the good of the club perhaps it might be best for someone else to have a go and try bringing them up next season. 

0B9gxV.jpg

This is the final league table:

nuB9VA.jpg

I'll be back in touch again after the playoffs

Well our performance in the playoffs was so poor and as a result I have decided to not discuss a new deal with the club so I will be stepping down when my contract expires on the 30th June. These were the playoff results:

4PgYvG.jpg

I have applied for a few jobs but I won't reveal which clubs until I at least get an interview!

Well, here we go for my new adventure, I am now going to be managing Dutch amateur side GVVV Veenendaal, I really have my work cut out for me as I have 12, yes 12 players on the books. if I can keep this side up this season in the Jupiler league it will be a miracle!

qI32wL.jpg

Not a pretty sight at all:

nRHP37.jpg

Well what a busy summer it's been here at my new club and I've had to work miracles almost daily in terms of begging, pleading with people to come join us. The issue is though because we're just a small part time club 'bigger' clubs can just come in and steal our players whenever they want so it's really tricky to get an established squad together, however I think overall I like to think I've done enough to try and keep us save from relegation this season, so let's look at what I did:

KxNjfe.jpg

I won't go through all my players but let me focus on what I think are my best three or four players:

This is my first choice centre back Sietsma who is going to be the first on any team sheet (it shows the lack of class in my squad when this guy is our best player)

1vsP37.jpg

Theo De Lange is the best player in my squad and it's obvious to see why, I am amazed he plays for us, we got him for free from JVC and I think we have an excellent player, he works hard and is super quick. 

MqJR4L.jpg

Finally Harm Schilder another one from JVC who we have basically pillaged, I do have high hopes for this guy, I see him as our first choice BBM and I think he could develop into something very good for us!

XMJ1VB.jpg

Each day I start to wander why I left Bocholt, we were a team on the up, we were slowly improving our facilities and the future was looking positive but I need to focus on the future now here at GVVVV.  It goes without saying that my career has taken a backwards turn but I'm here now and determined to give it a good go. 

I totally under estimated the challenge here to be honest, I went in all guns blazing with the same tactic expecting these misfits and guess what, it backfired magnificently as we were handed our back side to us on a plate from Fortuna Sittard who demolished us 7-0 and indeed the first few games followed a same pattern until eventually I decided a huge tactical change was needed and since then we've performed really well even picking up a few wins which has been superb. With only one team from the division being relegated it really does fill me with confidence that we can survive this term. 

I also have an added incentive, via my friend Guido, somehow the real life GVVV side caught wind of my plight and have promised to send me a GVVVV shirt if I can get them into the top division within four years, it will be a massive challenge, there is no doubt about it but I'm all set for it as I'd love a shirt! Here's their tweet to me:

123MtX.jpg

Here are the opening results and league table:

EqgdrW.jpg

WOEiIr.jpg

1 hour ago, Guimy said:

Just survive the drop this season, you can compete for a play-off spot next season. We can crowdsource a team together, mate.

Sounds good but I'm not entirely sure how that would work?

OCTOBER 2022

As you can see below it's been a superb month for us picking up 7 points from a possible 9 and in fairness we were somewhat unlucky against Voldendam. There's so much more confidence in the side now and we're more than capable of holding our our own against what I would call mid-divisional sides. However, the gulf in class in this league is massive and we know that but all we can do is tun up and try to be as competitive as we can. I think if we can stay up and get the right players in next year we can breach that slightly. 

eC3Lsg.jpg

kOJT8w.jpg

This team are impressing me more with each passing month, this month we have taken 9 points from a possible 15 and I'm over the moon, especially the winner away at FC Emmen I was almost in tears as the sheer elevation of a 93rd winner hit me especially as pre-match the media gave us no chance. I still have no idea how we are over performing like this, yes it's true we're known as a dirty team but we seem to be striking fear into teams and it's working as we have grinded out some impressive wins, 

Next up pure revenge is on my mind as we entertain Fortuna Sittard who were mocking us on Twitter after our last meeting which saw us get hammered 7-0, I highly doubt there'll be a repeat of that this time around. 

h8vUOR.jpg

BlO5yz.jpg

fA3ZsU.jpg

DECEMBER 2022

It's been an incredibly hard month for us facing two of the best teams in the division, Sittard deserve to go up, their squad is hugely impressive and we can only dream of having players like theirs. The one which was tough to take was Almere, we played well but came away with nothing!

The other major news this month is Jan Janssen has agreed to a new deal, in a team of amateurs he has really shone out so far getting 6.96 from 13 games contributing 3 goals and 2 assists. 

vokV8p.jpg

fBlMYH.jpg

I would also like to announce that my Dutch friend Guido Merry has agreed to become our new Director Of Football - he has agreed to do this voluntarily as I cannot afford to pay him, so effectively this means I will run by players on my shortlist in the summer and he will have final sign off on all incoming transfers

JANUARY 2023

It's been another tough month for us but we gained 4 points in the last 2 games and I am encouraged by that, especially as we have some games coming up which we ought to be winning. 

I also decided to dip my toe in the January window and have taken two young lads on loan which I feel could do well for us, they are as follows:

EoGnbh.jpg

8JmUyc.jpg

Results and League Table:

Waduos.jpg

3LyfZs.jpg

FEB & MAR 2023

It's been a very up and down period these past two months, we only picked up the two wins but we're a small squad and fatigue has really caught up with this as we're not a professional club yet our lack of fitness has sometimes been the difference but I'm very encouraged as we've been very competitive in most games.

In my next post we'll be looking at the squad review and then looking to decide who we plan on culling from the squad in time for next season where I think we're going to be extremely busy to say the least. I have already identified a new back line so DL, DR, DC & DMC. There will be further additions but this is where my focus will be concentrated on. 

I will also be having a look to see how Bocholt did last season. For now though here are the results and this is the league table after 35 games, I am immensely proud of our league position. 

20HxYd.jpg

dn2LJc.jpg

1 hour ago, Guimy said:

Considering the **** storm you're working with, these are world class results!

Cheers Guido, hopefully once we've had a summer and our **** hot DOF approves the best players for us we can achieve even more next season.

SEASON REVIEW

Well for a team who were predicted 5001-1 to win the league ­­we can be very proud of ourselves for finishing 14th in a league full of some very talented teams.  We overcome our poor start to the season after we had conceded 24 goals from the first 5 games and after a few tactical overhauls we really did find our feet and indeed in some games which we lost we were incredibly unlucky. I think the result of the season has to be the 3-3 draw away at champions SC Cambuur.

EPfZ6w.jpg

It’s likely we’re going to be a much changed side next season so I won’t be spending too much time talking about our players but these were the best players:

ghHzST.jpg

Pronk was superb scoring as he did 10 goals from just 14 starts and he really showed his worth towards the end of the season and indeed he scored a superb hat trick away at SC Cambuur.

Theo De Jong though really has shone all season, where as others have struggled with form he has remained largely consistent with 8 goals and 9 assists and is a creative force in our side.

Our next job now is going to be a huge rebuilding job, I feel in many ways my second year here is going to even more difficult here but hopefully we can bring in the players I need.

For completion sake the results of the last three games were as follows:

m7Pa34.jpg

2023-24 SEASON PREVIEW

Well what a busy busy busy summer we have here had GVVV, first of all the biggest news is that we have now turned professional and since then we've been able to attract some excellent players into the squad which I will come to later on. Even the board have given us a sizeable budget, I have been told that I shouldn't ask where the money is coming from and indeed I would hate to question the Chairman! For all I know he could be a drug dealer but anyway all I know is we were able to offer some excellent wages to bring the right players in.

First up here are the pre-season results, nothing much to note as we played poor teams:

Y2wmJs.jpg

This is the business we ended up doing:

vhNs91.jpg

Please say hello to our new batch of players, I am expecting big things from them this term:

jxIQzn.jpg

SRLwCO.jpg

ucd7HK.jpg

ARlpuf.jpg

d7qD29.jpg

zhQXDc.jpg

0dFreb.jpg

OK yes I admit we have not played the better teams in the division but what a blinding start we have made to the season, this is better than I could have expected and my new signings seem to have bedded in reasonably well. Obviously we have much tougher challenges ahead with the likes of Heracles, RKC & GA Eagles but it feels like we're very much looking forward and not over our shoulders! 

N4wXL3.jpg

JQ93KM.jpg

SEPTEMBER 2023

It has been a very strange month we recorded amazing wins against the much fancied Heracles & GA Eagles but then more recently we have been so poor with 3 defeats on the trot and it seems that we're somehow unable to raise our game for the more 'easy' games. It may require a tactical re-think - I'm not sure yet what the issue is as we're certainly creating the chances.

siUfcN.jpg

50MUHJ.jpg

Also in the latest window I brought in two lads on loan:

ckYKiZ.jpg

nIbD5X.jpg

OCTOBER 2023

It's not been a bad month at all, it was nice to get revenge on Fortuna Sittard (sorry Guido) but the away performance at WKE was really poor. Still though, to be 6th after 13 games is really impressive and it was nice to put an end to that little losing run we were on. 

Vr8Ib2.jpg

qzkGst.jpg

NOVEMBER 2023

November has been such a tough month, it was packed tight with games and I think we have done really well as this month saw us play some very good sides, the point away at run away leaders Den Bosch was impressive enough but we followed that with a superb second half performance as we came back to beat fellow playoff hopefuls RKC 2-1. The game against Lisse was a really tough match if they can fight like that I could see them staying up. 

jcEnyf.jpg

V9FMrv.jpg

Last 5 game form:

PSmc1J.jpg

The right back there can be ignored he plays for the reserves.

Incidentally, I approached the clubs of Merdanovic & Kornis and was quoted £225,000 and then £250,000 so it looks like we'll see neither of them in a GVVV shirt beyond this season. Extortionate prices! I would love to loan them again though as they've really impressed me. 

DECEMBER 2023

We are really showing some grit now, our good form seems to be stable and the game at Venlo was superb, on paper they should beat us 5-0 but we dug in played a rigid 442 with two DM's and we grinded out a good draw. It was a performance worthy of a playoff place and indeed it could prove to be that way come the end of the season. Away at Almere it was poor but I was too attacking and we got punished, it was nice though to put Spakenburg to the sword after they took a shock 2-0 lead!

gILeXd.jpg

upRjnL.jpg

JANUARY 2024

After our long winter break which seems to have really helped our players we played just two games this month and the most critical one was against Dordecht who were chasing the playoffs so the win really did widen that gap between teams in the playoff positions and teams chasing. However, as I said earlier in the season when we lost 2-1 to them Dordecht are a superb team, they deserved something from the match. Against Heracles we did really well but it was shame we couldn't hold on to win 2-1, 2-2 was a fair result though. 

We go to 5th place GA Eagles next who we beat 5-3 last time at our place so we have every chance!

UxKt8a.jpg

ZsJTky.jpg

Just a little word on Vinogradov, he's just 19 years old, it's his first season here in Holland and he has been amazing, 12 goals in 22 games in all competitions is a great return. not bad for a lad who was only on trial at Estonian club Infonet - super signing for us! Here he is:

VD4Bn5.jpg

Player form:

(Abels in the reserves)

Xved0F.jpg

I have managed to sign this lad on loan from Sturm Graz, this was approved by my DOF - Guido Merry my dutch member of staff, here is the player and our exchange:

phKPbc.jpg

his reply:

oFkN5V.jpg

Love having a DOF I can contact when I want, best thing is he works for free - a friend of the chairman I hear!

FEBRUARY 2024

The month started very poorly indeed apart from the draw at GA Eagles which was an awesome result as we limited them to one shot on target in a very cagey 0-0 affair, I should have changed my system against FC Eindhoven but I didn't as we invited them onto us and payed for it with a 2-1 defeat. Against Telstar we battered them but somehow they came away with a 4-2 win, I decided a little pep talk was needed so I called the lads in for a chat where we got some things out in the open and the lads clearly came away with a spring in their step as we then won three games on the bounce so the playoffs still looks very possible. It's hard to get better than that though as all the teams around us are winning due to the poor teams in the bottom half of the table!

Ob3qK9.jpg

e6lcRG.jpg

END OF SEASON REVIEW:

Well it's been a superb season for us this year, we were predicted to be fighting in a relegation dogfight but instead we were always in the playoff positions for most of the season and indeed an 8th place finish is no mean feat but for a club of our stature. In the first round of the playoffs we were paired with Fortuna Sittard who we beat 4-2 on aggregate but Zwolle who finished 16th in the Eredivisie were much too strong for us in the end beating us 5-1 over both legs. 

I can't be disappointed in any of my players though, we gave it all we had but the difficulty has been that when we had suspensions and injuries we really  felt it as we had to name some players who can't cut it at this level but I'm hoping the experience will hold us in good stead for next season as the playoffs has to be our aim again. 

This was the rest of the results and league table:

ivM3By.jpg

AzCs4L.jpg

In terms of player performances these were the best this season:

rlzUTg.jpg

I will be doing all I can to sign Kornis & Merdanovic but their clubs are not playing ball so we will have to see how things develop however some good news is that I have signed up Hubner from Sturm Graz for a reasonable £7,500 so hopefully that will prove to be good business. 

We have 10 players of note leaving this summer as their contracts are coming to an end so again it's going to be a very busy summer, my plan at this stage is to work closely with my DOF Guido Merry to see who we can bring in as early as possible, for wages I reckon 4 or 5 will come in on loan and then if we can get some players to add depth around that I think we'll have the basis for a very good side next year. 

I will update as and when there are further developments. 

2024-25 PRE-SEASON, TRANSFERS & BOOKIES ODDS

Welcome back to my adventure with GVVV, last season we got to the playoffs somehow but Zwolle were too strong for us however Zwolle did drop down and join us in the Jupiler League, first up here's what we face and as you can see we will have some very good challengers this season so my aim has to be the playoffs again. 

mHduyk.jpg

In terms of the pre-season results they were simply warm up games as usual:

xRacnA.jpg

This is the transfer activity we did and the headline should be that Kornis who was our hero last term has decided to join us on loan again, however this has been a little overshadowed due to the quality of some of the players we've been able t o attract here:

bski1G.jpg

Here are the better players I brought in:

k7350b.jpg

79lxcp.jpg

WA9Gjw.jpg

5CTOpJ.jpg

EJroyz.jpg

qK9Y3c.jpg

As you can see we've added a lot of exciting youth to our ranks, players who will want to impress their parent clubs and it works for us as it's not costing us much at all in wages. I am very happy with the balance of my squad now and Ciric offers us genuine leadership at the back and a lot of pace!

AUGUST 2024

It's not been a bad start at all and I am happy that we look pretty solid at the back but the loss to Almere was just embarrassing but thankfully we bounced back from that to win three on the spot, the game against Venlo was a real battle and I was happy with the draw given we gave away a penalty in the first minute so that has to be recorded as a good point gained. 

c8EVwX.jpg

cZOk0z.jpg

I also brought another loan in, Kopca can play at both left back or left wing so he offers some good flexibility:

R8ITey.jpg

SEPTEMBER 2024

It's been a decent month for us, we have played really well but a little too cautiously at times and in our most recent game against Excelsior we removed the shackles and won 3-1 so I will be continuing my tinkering as I look for the best system for my players. Against Willem I thought we did ok and a draw would have been a fair result but it wasn't to be. 

8dyguY.jpg

HMYVjh.jpg

PLAYER FORM 

IqBY26.jpg

OCTOBER 2024

I've been impressed with our results this month, we've had some excellent draws away at the bigger teams in the league in De Graafschap & MVV and we pushed ADO Den Haag all the way despite rotating the team quite a bit. We sit 2nd now and I am really encouraged by our recent play, we have gone to an attacking 352 now but I don't like the amount of chances we keep giving away. 

We play 6 games in November so the league will certainly take shape come then so we need to keep battling away in every game to keep up our promotion bid. 

Player form:

Lehbcj.jpg

Some superb performances these last 5 games from my young forward line! (Hendricks is in the reserves)

AjWYxF.jpg

OcpjJ1.jpg

NOVEMBER 2024

It's not been a great month for us at all, to lose to Helmond was the biggest shock and to lose so cruelly in the 93rd minute to Fortuna Sittard was disappointing but we're going ok, I said last time you'll be able to tell a lot from the league after November and it's very pleasing to see us sitting proudly in 4th with the best goal difference too, this could prove crucial later on as it's fairly tight up there:

mJc1yD.jpg

EU7QWD.jpg

The end of November is always the time I like to look at contracts for the next summer so I will be compiling a list of players who I would like to keep and those on loan who I may may make enquiries for. 

DECEMBER 2024

A really disappointing month for us this month, I expected 9 points but instead we had to make do with just 4, some of the players I feel need reminded of what's at stake here and this year a good run can really push us to the top but thankfully the teams around us have slipped up too so the league seems crying out for a team to take the bull by the horns!

EeUGI3.jpg

QINqSj.jpg

Archived