Playable v View Only Leagues

When setting up a new game and selecting nations & leagues, how does "playable" versus "view only" affect demand for your players? If I have a player for sale, will there be more interest if I've selected 10 leagues as playable versus view only?

Playing FM for a long time, and still think the guide at the start isn't helpful enough. 

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, desmondwolff said:

Two years on, and I'm none the wiser! :-) 

On 15/02/2018 at 10:53, Mons said:

The only difference between loading a league as view-only and not loading it at all, is that you get to see the league table and other statistics. No extra players are loaded in a view-only league, other than players that would have been loaded anyway (i.e. higher reputation players). In this sense, there's little benefit having a league as view-only.

If you plan on staying with 1 team, I would strongly suggest having nearby countries loaded as playable. For example, if you intend to be based in Germany, I would say to also load Poland, Switzerland, Denmark, the Netherlands and Austria, and load whichever divisions are relevant.

Another thing to keep in mind is that, when you load a country as playable, not only does it load players from that country, but also higher reputation players in nearby countries. That is why I always try and have 1 country loaded as playable from each continent/region in order that the database size is increased. Also important is the database size that you choose. I prefer the large database size, as the more players are loaded, the more transfer options there will be and the more transfer movements will take place.

I can't really speak about the rate of development of players in non-loaded leagues, but I believe the level of football and of coaching and training facilities, allied with matchday exposure, are all much more important than whether a league is loaded or not.

Finally the star rating is an indication and is not to be considered the be-all and end-all. If you have a couple of applications running in the background when starting a new game, then the rating will be much lower than it really is.

Hope this helps.

From an old post of mine which may be of help ;)

• 11 months later...

Quote from old post above

'The only difference between loading a league as view-only and not loading it at all, is that you get to see the league table and other statistics. No extra players are loaded in a view-only league, other than players that would have been loaded anyway (i.e. higher reputation players). In this sense, there's little benefit having a league as view-only.'

So what happens if you decide to make a view only league active and playable later on in a journeyman save with the players using the add / remove leagues feature - does this mean that only the higher reputation players are loaded?

Edited by wazza

30 minutes ago, wazza said:

Quote from old post above

'The only difference between loading a league as view-only and not loading it at all, is that you get to see the league table and other statistics. No extra players are loaded in a view-only league, other than players that would have been loaded anyway (i.e. higher reputation players). In this sense, there's little benefit having a league as view-only.'

So what happens if you decide to make a view only league active and playable later on in a journeyman save with the players using the add / remove leagues feature - does this mean that only the higher reputation players are loaded?

My understanding is that to make a view-only league playable, you would first need to disable it, then re-enable it the season after that, at which point the teams are populated with players who weren't being loaded before.

If you use the advanced option for the database size than you can choose which players to load (by country, continent, etc) separate from the playable leagues.  I prefer to set many leagues to view only as then you get the table and stats from those leagues and can loan players to them.