[1.1.1] Renewing staff contracts counts as sacking them for player morale

The Title pretty much says it all.

Mid season I always get the mailbox spam about all my staff contracts expiring in 6 months time, I renew all of them as usual. A little while later I noticed one of my star player who has been underperforming has the "Unh" icon. So I click it an it reads "Thinks you should be more patient with your staff". I literally haven't sacked anyone since he joined the team. But I have mass-renewed contracts, presumably this means that when you renew staff contracts it counts as sacking and instantly re-hiring them. Causing morale hits to your players for absolutely no reason.

Players are staff too.

If you trade or demote players or if you constantly rearrange your lines then this will negatively affect team cohesion and some players will start to complain. It's also possible that the player is referring to negative comments that you've made about players to the press.

I have my coach do all line setups for realism and difficulty, and never slate players in the media since that is amateur hour stuff. So I literally have no control over that. Never seen the icon pop up except when renewing contracts in this save. And I'm in 2025, so it's been a while.

And you've made no trades? Or released anyone? Or placed anyone on waivers? Or sent anyone down to the minors?

You made an incorrect assumption that "staff" meant "coaches". Why don't you just admit that and try to get on with your life instead of argue?

I tried to help you by informing you of how the game works. I did that since I happen to have played the game for some 2000 seasons since the first version of the commercial game was released and for about a year with the shareware version before that. I will make a mental note not to bother next time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SI Staff

This unhappiness state refers to a player being unhappy about the treatment of a teammate. Typically this is either because you have fined a player in a situation where it seems harsh or you have commented about a player in the media in a bad way and a teammate has taken exception to that. I've adjusted the string in the next update to refer to "players" rather than "staff" as this is purely referring players.

• 2 weeks later...
And you've made no trades? Or released anyone? Or placed anyone on waivers? Or sent anyone down to the minors?

You made an incorrect assumption that "staff" meant "coaches". Why don't you just admit that and try to get on with your life instead of argue?

I tried to help you by informing you of how the game works. I did that since I happen to have played the game for some 2000 seasons since the first version of the commercial game was released and for about a year with the shareware version before that. I will make a mental note not to bother next time.

Bad day at work?

Archived