Coach Star Rating System.

Right, I've got an interesting issue that I have often wondered about, not to distraction you understand, more when I am indulging in a post Sunday lunch smoke and FM session. It's regarding the Coach Star Rating System; I'm going for CSRS for short OK? Not sure why, I'll probably never use it again. Right, I'll be brief, concise, straight to the point and all that.

I recently had to restart my game, sad issue I am sure you are all aware of regarding abusively large amounts of bug filled money being thrown at me. That's a whole other story though, don't worry about it. My new game is much better anyway, far superior database set up, so there's a sliver lining, right? So, this new game of mine I was sorting out the coaches, decided to get Stam and Baresi (normally get Baresi anyway, but not Stam). This highlighted the issue I have often pondered upon. Franco gets 4.5 stars defending, right? Stam 5. They both get at least 4.5 for tactical as well.

Now, here's the tricky bit, if you get lost here, I am not coming back to get you.

Let's assume I put Stam in as my defensive coach. So we have five in there now. If I was to put Baresi in there, too, would it be wasted, or would they come together on their efforts to product a team of 9.5/10 (Luckily I have two coaches for each training section so we can use this analogy to our advantage here). All my sections are up to 8/10 already. So, what do you say, better to have a 9.5/10 defensive training section? Or to have Baresi in Tactical making it 8.5/10, instead of an 8/10, and taking Defence down from 9.5/10 to a 9/10? This issue, in my opinion, will hinge upon this decisive question: Does this amalgamation of training stats even work, or does the guy with the best rating set the level on a purely five star basis?

When the new coaching workload came up and I figured i'd need everything on 4.5 stars minimum on Light, I figured it would be impossible to simply have 3 world class coaches just for a single category.

So i started doing this. And it works just fine for me. There's no reason for it to be ineffective, whereas even though i can't tell you, having **** assistant coach ratings could worsen the quality of your trainig. Simply put, I spread backup coaches the least possible to maximize their ratings and the overall workload on the lead. I even get to sign some coaches just for their mental stats simply because they don't need to have the highest star rating. Luca Trucchi and Alimonta are a good example here.

gM4hCLS.png

When the new coaching workload came up and I figured i'd need everything on 4.5 stars minimum on Light, I figured it would be impossible to simply have 3 world class coaches just for a single category.

So i started doing this. And it works just fine for me. There's no reason for it to be ineffective, whereas even though i can't tell you, having **** assistant coach ratings could worsen the quality of your trainig. Simply put, I spread backup coaches the least possible to maximize their ratings and the overall workload on the lead. I even get to sign some coaches just for their mental stats simply because they don't need to have the highest star rating. Luca Trucchi and Alimonta are a good example here.

gM4hCLS.png

Interesting to see, thanks. Three first team fitness coaches seems quite a lot though, no? What's your thinking behind that?

It's the coach that gives the most stars that counts. Any other coach you put onto the same training area will not make the training any better, but just lessen the workload.

Straight to the point, nicely done that man. I could learn a thing or two from your example. How sure are you of this? And how does it work when u21 coaches are involved? Surely they cannot mask a first team coach's inabilities? However, by the points system it seems they do.

This. The back-ups just put the bibs 'n' cones out, whatever their fame.

An u21 coach with a higher star rating would surely not be allowed to take the first team sessions? It wouldn't happen in reality any way. Seems like something that perhaps needs addressing.

Interesting to see, thanks. Three first team fitness coaches seems quite a lot though, no? What's your thinking behind that?

Fitness coaches have the higher overall workload because they also work with the youth teams

2 fitness coaches, 1 for each fitness training area + the U21 fitness coach covering both areas, are usually enough for me to get the workload down to light. The same for GK coaches. For the outfield training areas it's usually enough with 4 coaches, 1 "main" coach + 3 to bring the workload down to light. These 3 can be put on several training areas, of course. Their sole purpose is to bring the workload down, it doesn't really matter how many areas they are covering, nor does it matter if they're any good or not, really. How many you need will depend on how many players you have training, of course.

I know that this isn't at all a very realistic coaching setup, and it feels rather "gamey". But that's the way it is in the game. I think the game developers should try to work out a better system, one that brings the total amount of coaches necessary for optimal training down. I'm pretty sure even the best and richest clubs in the world don't see the need to employ the amount of coaches that we need to do in FM in order to have a satisfactory training quality and a comfortable workload.

Fitness coaches have the higher overall workload because they also work with the youth teams
2 fitness coaches, 1 for each fitness training area + the U21 fitness coach covering both areas, are usually enough for me to get the workload down to light. The same for GK coaches. For the outfield training areas it's usually enough with 4 coaches, 1 "main" coach + 3 to bring the workload down to light. These 3 can be put on several training areas, of course. Their sole purpose is to bring the workload down, it doesn't really matter how many areas they are covering, nor does it matter if they're any good or not, really. How many you need will depend on how many players you have training, of course.

I know that this isn't at all a very realistic coaching setup, and it feels rather "gamey". But that's the way it is in the game. I think the game developers should try to work out a better system, one that brings the total amount of coaches necessary for optimal training down. I'm pretty sure even the best and richest clubs in the world don't see the need to employ the amount of coaches that we need to do in FM in order to have a satisfactory training quality and a comfortable workload.

I see, I see. I have one spot left on my new coaching set up, was thinking about getting in another shooting coach, but I might follow your lead and get in another fitness coach.

As for the realism , I agree it isn't the best coaching set up, however remembering some spin offs that have happened in previous games, this is by far the best set up so far. The ones that have attempted to be more realistic have missed reality by a long, long way; much further than it currently does.

Archived