NHL - Incorrect Salary Cap calculation

Just noticed that you can "hide" big salaries in the minor league.

With the latest NHL CBA (2013), when you assign a player with a salary of 900k (could be 850, need to check) only the 900k will be removed from your cap expenditure, everything above remains on your cap hit. In the game however, you can easily sent a high contract down and be free of all the cap hit.

• 3 weeks later...
  • SI Staff

If you use the database with the latest 2015 ruleset, there should be an item on the league rules page that states:

"Any one-way contract outside the league in excess of $950k will carry a cap hit"

When you look at the team salary cap chart (team screen > Finances, "Salary Cap Chart" from the view menu), the players with bigger salaries on one-way contracts who have been sent to the minors will show the reduced cap hit (whatever still counts against the cap despite being sent to the minors) in the list and the green tick on the right to mark them still counting against the cap.

Thanks for the reply, I will have to check that again.

Played with the latest TBL rosters and didnt check the finance chart but noticed that my cap hit was reduced by the exact 5m (or whatever it was) when I sent the player to the farm before my season opener.

Played with the latest TBL rosters and didnt check the finance chart but noticed that my cap hit was reduced by the exact 5m (or whatever it was) when I sent the player to the farm before my season opener.
Maybe you were still under the offseason cap? and not the regular cap

Your offseason cap is your top 23 contracts regardless of whether they're in the NHL or in the minors

Maybe you were still under the offseason cap? and not the regular cap

Your offseason cap is your top 23 contracts regardless of whether they're in the NHL or in the minors

Dont think so. In the example I mentioned I was way above by several millions and it wouldnt let me sim the first game without making a roster move.

Ok so i tried it again and just signed a random UFA early in the season for 4.712m. With him I am at $66m after sending him down I am 61.7m.

The cap chart shows him at something like 3.79m or so which would be correct (deducting the 950k) but the overall cap calculation is apparently wrong as my cap hit goes down by like 4.3m instead of 950k just by sending him down.

Something is definitely wrong here, using the latest TBL 8.1 rosters, playing as Flyers I tested sending down Lecavalier to the AHL and after he clears waivers it shows correctly his cap hit reduced to 3.55m (from 4.5m), but the Averaged Club Salary only went down to 63.955m from 64.475m. I'm not in offseason, BTW.

Something is definitely wrong here, using the latest TBL 8.1 rosters, playing as Flyers I tested sending down Lecavalier to the AHL and after he clears waivers it shows correctly his cap hit reduced to 3.55m (from 4.5m), but the Averaged Club Salary only went down to 63.955m from 64.475m. I'm not in offseason, BTW.

What amount that the cap cost is reduced by depends on how much of the season has passed. The salary cap is based on yearly salary and if you send someone down after half the season has passed the amount that you already have payed out to him still counts towards the cap. This means that if you send down a player on the last day of the season the cap reduction will be zero and if you send him down the first day of the season the reduction will be 100%.

So, in order to know if you have a problem or not you have to tell us WHEN you sent Lecavalier down. If his cap reduction is $.5 then I'd guess that you sent him down with 15% of the season left, sometime around the trade deadline. Am I right?

What amount that the cap cost is reduced by depends on how much of the season has passed. The salary cap is based on yearly salary and if you send someone down after half the season has passed the amount that you already have payed out to him still counts towards the cap. This means that if you send down a player on the last day of the season the cap reduction will be zero and if you send him down the first day of the season the reduction will be 100%.

So, in order to know if you have a problem or not you have to tell us WHEN you sent Lecavalier down. If his cap reduction is $.5 then I'd guess that you sent him down with 15% of the season left, sometime around the trade deadline. Am I right?

Is it how it works in real life? Anyway, I tried again sending down Lecavalier but at the opening day of the season and it shows his cap hit reduced to 3.55m but the Averaged Club Salary went down by 3.79m instead of 950k (from 68.69 to 64.9) so i think the Salary cap calculation isn't right.

Yes that's how it works in real life. If a player spends half the season on the NHL roster then half his salary is counted against the cap etc. What counts is the actual salary paid out to him while in NHL.

Is he on a one-way or on a two way contract? It's only the salary he's actually receiving that is counted towards the cap (the portion above $950.000). If he's on a two way contract and receives less than $1 million in AHL then he will not count against the cap.

• 1 month later...

Archived