Problems since upgrade to Windows 10

Ok, I play this game a lot, but since I went from Windows 7 to windows 10, I can't play the game anymore. If I'm lucky, I'll be able to reach October. But the game will crash sooner or later. Usually soon...

Someone suggested to uninstall the game, including every EHM related map/file, which I did. But it didn't help much, I still get the crash dump.

What to do?

@leiniboy @Fluisterwould

What result did you get from sfc? Did it report no errors or did it report errors fixed or unfixed?

If there were errors fixed then a reinstall of the game could be in order. If there were errors unfixed then find out how to fix them. If no errors were found then your problems is elsewhere.

My problem seems to multiply in numbers if I change to another program while EHM runs. And no, my computer isn't too weak for EHM.

Sounds like a compatibility problem of some sort, possibly VGA-drivers. You don't happen to have a NVIDIA graphics card do you? There have been several reports of driver problems with Win10 and NVIDIA.

If there were errors that sfc fixed then it could help if you read the logs and looked at what those errors where. Even if the errors are now gone they could have affected other programs that you have running and those are now making windows unstable enough to crash with EHM.

A computer is a very complex machine and diagnosing software errors are rarely simple. The only way to really test Windows 10 on your particular machine configuration would be to make a clean install (for instance on a new drive) of only win10 and EHM and see how that works out.

Actually I do have NVIDIA so that might explain a few things :p. The crashings don't occur when the game is not "continuing" (stopped at a date etc.). And believe me, I do know a few things about IT as I am a BBA in IT ;).

Anyhow, I reset my computer a few days ago for other reasons and the problems still exist. I hope that they'll disappear at some point :p. If the problem is with graphics card, it might sure take some time :p.

The easy test is to dig out an old Radeon card from a drawer somewhere (or borrow one from a friend) and completely uninstall the NVIDIA drivers and see what happens with the ATI card in the machine. If it's the graphics drivers then a clean reinstall using NVIDIAs tool could help but do the test first.

Microsoft distributed an update to their drivers a few days ago but I've always used the package from NVIDIA and furthermore have Radeons in all my Win10-machines ATM so I can't say whether updating will help you or not but it really does sound like it could be the cause of your problems. :-)

Archived