Team instructions, match plans, and instant result

Hi, everyone.

I'm wondering if any of you might know the answer to this question.

Suppose I'm getting ready for a match and gone to my Tactics Overview screen. I've selected my team, and let's say I've selected a Counter mentality, and added several Team Instructions.

If I decide to use the Instant Result feature and don't select a preset Match Plan, will my team follow the tactical instructions I've set up, or will something else happen instead? I'd like to try my hand at creating my own sets of Team Instructions, based on some of the reading I've done about tactics on the forum.

Any assistance you could give would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

A related question: Suppose I use one of the preset match plans, like Play for the Win, Smash and Grab, etc. Is it also possible for me to add team instructions through the Tactics screen that the players will follow during an Instant Results match?

Apologies for not replying before!

My understanding is that when no Match Plan is used, then the Instant Result uses all your tactical settings (Mentality, Team Shape, formation, Roles, Duties, Team and Player Instructions, plus any set piece tweaks). I believe the AssMan's only involvement is with substitutions, and that he makes no tactical changes, but hopefully Lucas will pop in and confirm that.

Regarding the use of preset Match Plans and adding TIs, I'm not sure as it is something I've neglected to look at. I believe preset Match Plans actually already include Team Instructions which change depending on the in-match scenario. Another one for Lucas I think.

My understanding is that when no Match Plan is used, then the Instant Result uses all your tactical settings (Mentality, Team Shape, formation, Roles, Duties, Team and Player Instructions, plus any set piece tweaks). I believe the AssMan's only involvement is with substitutions, and that he makes no tactical changes, but hopefully Lucas will pop in and confirm that.

Regarding the use of preset Match Plans and adding TIs, I'm not sure as it is something I've neglected to look at. I believe preset Match Plans actually already include Team Instructions which change depending on the in-match scenario. Another one for Lucas I think.

No apology necessary.

If I create a custom Match Plan based on one of the templates, I can add pre-selected combinations of Team Instructions, one for more defensive mentalities and one for more attacking mentalities, that are applied when the plan calls for a strategic change. I can't adjust which instructions are packaged in each combination, though. Maybe that's a good thing, because I'd assume that the combinations include instructions that will work together and create a coherent playing style.

• Administrators

1) Correct.

2) Template Match Plans don't include the TIs, so if you're interesting in knowing what these do then create a custom match plan but with no defensive/attacking touchline instructions.

No apology necessary.

If I create a custom Match Plan based on one of the templates, I can add pre-selected combinations of Team Instructions, one for more defensive mentalities and one for more attacking mentalities, that are applied when the plan calls for a strategic change. I can't adjust which instructions are packaged in each combination, though. Maybe that's a good thing, because I'd assume that the combinations include instructions that will work together and create a coherent playing style.

The idea is that the instructions are templates themselves. If you save a set of Instructions as a preset in the Tactics Instructions popup, then you can use these as part of setting up your Match Plan Scenarios, to make it that bit quicker to do.

Thanks for clearing this up for me, Lucas. Now I understand why my teams might have played so badly when I used Instant Result with no Match Plan. I didn't adjust the mentalities or any player/team instructions, so I would have gone into the match using the tactical setup from the last match I managed myself. That might have been a very unsuitable setup for the next match.

Understanding this more clearly makes me enjoy playing the Classic mode even more than I did before.

Archived