forameuss

14683_1.png

Rocking their World: Gibraltar Redux

James Spiteri Relives a Past Life

Season 2053/54

December

Results

Gv3k9se.png

It was much the same story as we faced Dortmund for a second time, keeping them at arms length for most o the game and closing out our group stage campaign. We also beat Gibraltar United to rub in the fact that we are going to absolutely stroll to another title barring a considerable collapse.

qiQZUl0.png

But then it was off to Mexico...

4PxnGOF.png

North America get crossed off as we brush aside the Canadians in a pretty one-sided fixture. A bit of a scare when they got a goal back, but luckily our relative profligacy wasn't punished.

CCeyPUt.png

6ELOPG0.png

And South America follow. A tougher match definitely, but we still didn't have too much trouble in dispatching them. It's another World Club Championship for Lincoln.

JiszDqU.png

And if we're going to add a 4th Champions League trophy, then we're going to have to get past Malaga. But more importantly, we're going to have to get past Milan "I like to dive and ruin my manager's year" Nesic. Would be pretty sweet to put them/him out.

GGhNrUA.png

hL9q1Hv.png

HClOP3Z.png

It was Jon Boxhill's year as he picked up the two end of year awards, and nabbed a place up front in the World XI. Tim Smulders featured heavily too, along with four of our players on the subs bench. A good year for us.

vmr9ZVj.png

In other news, a player from Gibraltar that doesn't play for Lincoln has won the European Golden Boy award. Great news, and shows that we are now attracting the best players as a league.

hcBiwXm.png

So as we moved onto January, it was a domestic only affair as always. Smash, crash, bash. We're imperious in Gibraltar.

7taNi2z.png

Next Time

u1ZU17D.png

Two huge games in Europe. At this stage, my only real objective is to grab that 4th European trophy and overtake my record from FM14. If I do that, could it be the end of the save?

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fantastic story! You've inspired me to do the same, but with Europa Point :) and could you post a ss of Waldron from St. Josephs?

h5BDtGB.png

Quite frankly, I'm baffled as to why he's won it. Looks a very good player, but best prospect in Europe?

Should also say that after much deliberation, even after hinting (not so subtly) that this would be my last season, it won't be. I was all ready to round this out and move onto something new, but every new save I've tried over the past few weeks has been so very meh. Then I go back to Lincoln, play a few more games, and the magic is still there. After all, James Spiteri is only 66 years old, so there's plenty of life in the old dog yet. It may be at Lincoln, or it may be elsewhere, but I think we're going to make this save last a little while longer.

14683_1.png

Rocking their World: Gibraltar Redux

James Spiteri Relives a Past Life

Season 2053/54

February and March (and April)

I'll apologise in advance, a bit of a mess of a post probably. My screenshots went a little awry for these few months, so there aren't going to be as many as I'd like there to be. Should still get enough coverage though.

Results

KHzNOyU.png

My quest to win every single trophy in one season goes on as Gibraltar United edged us out on penalties in the Premier Cup final. However, if there's a list of cups I want to win in order of preference, this would probably only beat the Pepe Reyes Cup. Elsewhere we were utterly dominant. Malaga put up quite a battle in the 1st knockout round of the Champions League as Milan Nesic came back to haunt us in the first leg. That finished 1-1, so we took an away goal back to Gibraltar where we promptly buried them 3-0. Porto were up next,but that job was done even quicker with a 4-0 first leg win. Jason Mayers snuffed out any hope of a comeback in the second leg with an away goal, leaving them needing another five on the night. We move into the semi finals.

Domestic football is barely even worth covering anymore. We destroyed everyone put in front of us. Except the Pheonix. Boo.

LV2BkYY.png

Next Time

cWrlcDY.png

A big month as we chase a 4th Champions League trophy, sandwiching a Rock Cup semi final. These Rock Cup games are becoming odder and odder - we only have to play 4 games, and we're comfortable favourites, but with a £100 million prize pot, the pressure is immense. We'll need to be wary of the Pheonix, as this month showed.

As for our Champions League opponent...

f4RIo5d.png

poUg9lU.png

We're going to Madrid, for the right to face an English side in the final. What price on a repeat of last year's final with West Ham?

To those that are still reading, what would you like to see James Spiteri do in this save? I fancy staying with Lincoln for a few more seasons, but "a few" could mean 1, or could mean a lot more. Beyond that I think I want to branch out. As a pure roleplay, I think at this point Spiteri has proved all he needs to prove in Gibraltar, but he may well be criticised as a bit of a flat-track bully. There's plenty more I can achieve..

I had thought of just going on a bit of a journeyman around Europe's great clubs, or perhaps taking over one of the other Gibraltar clubs (even thought of Gibraltar United...urgh). Maybe I should load up the MLS and retire to there for a few seasons. Happy to take suggestions, although not all will be possible of course.

Philadelphia in the Mls would be interesting depending how they have done once you load they also have a really nice stadium.

But then I am a tad bias as a big fan of the Mls and Philadelphia.

The MLS does intrigue me. It's something completely different, with less pressure than going to one of the World greats. It's definitely a possibility, may add the league to see what's going on.

In real life many 'older' managers take on international jobs. Maybe go for a World Cup?
Could try to win the Euro with Gibraltar?

This is also definitely on the horizon. I'll maybe not leave Lincoln for a national job, but I very well could. Gibraltar could very well be one of those, but they're in a bit of a weird situation at the moment. They're absolutely smashing the nations league whenever they play in it, but I'm not sure if there's a bug with them getting promoted from Group D, or whether they've always just missed out. Need to look closer. However, they never quite carry that form into the European qualifiers. I think they're on the verge though. If I could do that...well that would underline the save nicely, wouldn't it?

Hey forameuss (or anyone I guess),

Have you figured out if its possible to get Gibraltar to qualify for the World Cup? I've tried doing saves managing a Gibraltar team and the national squad but it just kinda kills it for me with how they can't qualify for the World Cup. The only way I've so far seen how is to completely remake the World Cup and all of the continental qualifiers from scratch and that is way too complicated for me.

Hey forameuss (or anyone I guess),

Have you figured out if its possible to get Gibraltar to qualify for the World Cup? I've tried doing saves managing a Gibraltar team and the national squad but it just kinda kills it for me with how they can't qualify for the World Cup. The only way I've so far seen how is to completely remake the World Cup and all of the continental qualifiers from scratch and that is way too complicated for me.

Bingo.

As far as I'm aware it's hard-coded in that they should never qualify. I'm actually wondering now that you've asked whether it would be possible to recreate just Gibraltar on its own and replace the "real" one, but suspect that the World Cup qualifying is hard-coded to only accept x number of teams, not x + Gibraltar. It is a shame, as it means you only have really one year out of every four where the team is active. You start in September after a World Cup, and then by the following November it's all over unless you've made a miracle and qualified for the Euros.

This is also definitely on the horizon. I'll maybe not leave Lincoln for a national job, but I very well could. Gibraltar could very well be one of those, but they're in a bit of a weird situation at the moment. They're absolutely smashing the nations league whenever they play in it, but I'm not sure if there's a bug with them getting promoted from Group D, or whether they've always just missed out. Need to look closer. However, they never quite carry that form into the European qualifiers. I think they're on the verge though. If I could do that...well that would underline the save nicely, wouldn't it?

Just checked in the last couple of days, and looks like they always just miss out on the top spot in the Nations League. Given that only one goes up to the next, they often shoot themselves in the foot by having a marginally worse record against the team that ends up going up. We're almost due another run of the Nations League, so will be interesting to see if it happens this year.

Given that they aren't in FIFA there is no way for Gibraltar to qualify for the World Cup in game unless you completely remodel it.

Not strictly true. I think you can make other non-FIFA members into members and have it work fine - after all, there's an option in the editor to make nations members - but with Gibraltar it's a special case, given that they need to be written into the European qualifiers, but then not into the equivalent world qualifiers. To do that, like you say, it's a complete remodelling.

One I'm actually very keen on doing now that we're talking about it!

Oh ok, fair enough! Yeah I guess as they are a special case and were introduced into the game after the other Non-FIFA members who don't have the same competitions it probably takes a lot more to get them into the World Cup.

You could download the FIFA Nations League system and play as Gibraltar in league 4 (which I believe they start in) and try to get into the Gold League (WC). I've had a lot of fun with that edit, got Nicaragua from Fifa league 3 into the bronze league, though it took many many years and taking over a club team. It's always interesting to see how good non-FIFA members actually can be, which you can see in the Nations League system with French Guyana for instance, who have a load of Ligue 1 standard players.

As an update on what I said above, I've been pottering around in the editor, and I have a (semi) working file where Gibraltar are involved in World Cup Qualifying. A few issues still - the World Cup itself is being played in Winter 2017 (I think I know why that is) and we have no concept of playoffs, with just automatic and best-placed finishes qualifying. Early days, but I'm really keen on restarting this story from the beginning as a part 2, with Gibraltar now fully present. I'll obviously finish this one off, but another go round with a few changes is appealing.

Archived