'natural' position benefits

Are there any real benefits of playing a player in his natural position, instead of accomplished?

Say, that would be a team's basic offensive shape:

------IFs

MCd

------APMs-DLFa

B2B

------Wa

but taking into consideration that:

a) striker is best played as DLF and even though he has attack duty attached he still drops deep, not making first timed runs forward and might need some support in this matter

b) wingers natural position is RM

c) CMd's natural position is DM

the shape would eventually evolve into this:

DM-------AMa DLFa

-----B2B APs

-----Wa

with left back being played as WBs to cover the flank.

You think it makes sense?

I seem to recall either Cleon or THoG (or both) stating that the only thing really affected by a player being played out of position is his Decision attribute.

Of course, you could play them in their natural position and then use PIs to try and modify how they play to something closer to how you want.

I always thought natural CM/DM players should have both positions interchangeable, 20/18, depending on specialization, but that shouldn't tamper with their performances. I am worried when I change formations at the start of a new season, only to discover my next-Gerrard-regen, who is natural CM, is barely green on DM; I am guessing 20/16 then. Wondering if it hurts his game... although it does make me uncomfortable, that ugly green. But he is a born regista!

I always thought natural CM/DM players should have both positions interchangeable, 20/18, depending on specialization, but that shouldn't tamper with their performances. I am worried when I change formations at the start of a new season, only to discover my next-Gerrard-regen, who is natural CM, is barely green on DM; I am guessing 20/16 then. Wondering if it hurts his game... although it does make me uncomfortable, that ugly green. But he is a born regista!

I think as long as his attributes fit the role you should be ok. I had a Natural AML who was only yellow for the ML position, but I played him there anyway and he was fine (often awesome).

I personally think they should have an affinity for roles and not the positions and you have to train them for the role and not the position. So some roles are interchangeable, a defensive midfielder should be more than comfortable playing as a midfielder who defends and so on.

Be good to see a speedier distribution of attributes too, switch that winger to a centre midfielder or attacking mid to a defensive role. I think it takes too long, for me anyway, by the time they're finished declining/re-training, they're about ready to retire rather than stay on the field. >_>

Archived