Tactics tips?

I've done two seasons with Newcastle, and I was using 41221 for most of the first season, because it seemed like the players suited that, and I like the formation anyway, because I like having a midfielder in front of the defence, two in midfield, and two wingers. I bought the wingers Capel and Narsingh in an attempt to give strength and depth to my 41221, but they never really played well, so I'll have to offload them. I did ok, finishing 8th, making the league cup final, but going out of the FA cup in the 3rd round.

But then in my second season I was getting into all kinds of trouble, switching formations, dropping into the bottom half, with the fans complaining etc. And it was weird because we were extremely inconsistent, beating Man Utd then losing to Hull etc, and then eventually losing to everyone. But then I switched to 4132, and suddenly I couldn't stop winning. I beat Man Utd and Chelsea away, and got all kinds of great results, and I managed to salvage the season a bit and finish 10th, albeit with really poor cup results earlier on in the season.

So is there a certain formation for each team where you suddenly do a lot better, or is that just because of the players you have? Because I have a fair few decent players, and you could argue that there are a few formations that would support them all well, so why was 4132 so much better?

I could also do with some general tips on tactics (not specific tactics that people use), so I can hopefully get some consistency going. I know that the formation and tactics should be chosen to compliment your best players, and I'm guessing that switching tactics match-to-match can't be good.

I always play with a 4-3-3 formation, worked for years on the psp and now seems to work very well on my tablet version. I have no use at all for wide players but instead have two full backs that play as wing backs. I have a ball winning centre mid with either a centre mid or playmaker either side and then three strikers up front. I play direct with short passing and pressing and offside but no counter attack. Make sure you check the coach report of every player so that you have your best corner takers/free kick takers and penalty takers assigned as I think this makes a big difference as well.

Hope that helps.

Currently I switch between 4-1-3-2 and 4-3-3. They have both served me well. I often get the feedback “lack of width” but this doesn’t trouble me too much.

You need to select a formation to suit the players rather than pick a formation that you then expect the players to adapt to.

I also think player roles has a big say in how well the formation works. When playing a 4-1-3-2, if I’m playing away or against a team who I’m expected to lose to, I will select 3 of the 4 midfielders to BWM in an effort to win back possession. If I’m playing a team who I should be expected to beat, I will change my tactics that will include the APM position.

I get lack of width after every game but i don't take any notice of it. The hardest part was selling some talented wide players I had when I started because they would not fit in the system.

I use a 3-4-1-2 (3 CB, 2 BWM, 2 WNG, 1 APM and 2 strikers of whatever combination) all the time and, whenever I take over a team, the full backs are always the first players out the door.

I use a 3-4-1-2 (3 CB, 2 BWM, 2 WNG, 1 APM and 2 strikers of whatever combination) all the time and, whenever I take over a team, the full backs are always the first players out the door.

Very interesting, I was going to start a thread about fullback-less formations, would you mind posting a screenie?

Archived