How do you know if it's 'you'or your team

I posted the 'drastic downturn in form' thread and as i wait for a reply I wonder - is there a point where you have to admit your players just arent good enough

As I explain there Im rotherham in the Champ in 2016. Players are all good enough on paper. But after failing to get more than 3 shots or more than 30% possession week in week out, is it me and my tactics or is it simply,we arent good enough for this league?

Also if you could check my other thread out and offer assistance that would be great :)

I posted the 'drastic downturn in form' thread and as i wait for a reply I wonder - is there a point where you have to admit your players just arent good enough

As I explain there Im rotherham in the Champ in 2016. Players are all good enough on paper. But after failing to get more than 3 shots or more than 30% possession week in week out, is it me and my tactics or is it simply,we arent good enough for this league?

Also if you could check my other thread out and offer assistance that would be great :)

Unless your promotion was a complete fluke, your same team is good enough to finish outside of relegation.

Unless your promotion was a complete fluke, your same team is good enough to finish outside of relegation.

Don't really agree with that, it's quite a jump from League 1 to the Championship. Some healthy transfer/wage budgets amongst the Championship sides. Not always that easy to attract players when you go up either if you are managing a low rep club. Not saying it's impossible but it's not certainty. Once you get on a bad run of results and morale is low, it's hard to break it.

Promotion causes you to have a few problems; apart from the higher standard of opponents and needing to reinforce your team, you may well need to change your tactics as well.

Being one of the top teams in League one typically allows you to dominate your opponents, however in the Championship you will be the underdogs and may need to adapt to a more counter attacking approach. If you try to play the same way you are likely to come up short.

Don't really agree with that, it's quite a jump from League 1 to the Championship. Some healthy transfer/wage budgets amongst the Championship sides. Not always that easy to attract players when you go up either if you are managing a low rep club. Not saying it's impossible but it's not certainty. Once you get on a bad run of results and morale is low, it's hard to break it.

I agree with this. I am Barnsley and working with a tight budget all the time. I have to try and sell to stay in the black. My wage budget is a fraction of many teams. I have to try and attract youth players in on a free and try to develop them. I am just about to complete season four and always been placed just above the relegation zone.

Interesting points. It is a big jump. I had little to no money. I bought one player in close season a striker, so having to make do with my L1 squad as excess wage budget was taken up with promotion raises for current squad.

Obviously ive gone from 3 seasons of winning most games to being one of the worst teams in league and it's hard to adjust. Trying to grind out draws and narrow wins rather than winning 3/4-0 every week. Interesting point re Barnsley, I suppose you have to manage your expectations re what you have. So maybe my point is a valid one, while I'm not saying I'm blameless, it could be that my team just isn't good enough?

Archived