Asymmetrical formation in the BPL

Has anyone had any success playing one?

I have a long save with Southampton and my plan is to change my formation every few years, around the same "core" team. This Core includes an Anchor man, a CM(s) who could also play WM(s), a couple of AP(A)s who aren't vital and a Poacher. My most recent formation won me everything I was in for(BPL, CL, FA, COC, Shield) but I will be keeping it for another few years yet. The idea for that one was to play with a strike partnership rather than with a lone striker and two IFs, as I usually do. It worked wonders and the main strikers got 80 goals and 36 assists between them in 98 (8) appearences(Both added together). I want my next formation to build upon a strike partnership, but a bit differently. I currently use a DLF(s) and a Poacher, but I would like to change that to a TM(A) and a Poacher. I would also like a winger out on the right, but I'm not fussed about having one out on the left. I'd be interested in using 3 CBs but that isn't a necessity because I have a very defensive Anchorman sat in front of my backline anyway.

That brings me back to my original point, would an asymmetrical formation work in the Premier League? Whilst I've just signed a freebie right winger and a 15 year old with amazing potential(One of the two 15 year olds this tactic is planned to incorporate, the other being a Target man. I like to plan in advance), but I don't particularly have many left wingers, hence the asymmetry.

If anyone can make out what I'm trying to say, any advice? :)

Cheers all!

Why wouldn't it work? Any shape can work if you understand the tactic and its weakness and have the required players to play that way. Some are harder to get working and require more attention to detail but they still work :)

There isn't nothing to give advice on other than that tbh :)

Why wouldn't it work? Any shape can work if you understand the tactic and its weakness and have the required players to play that way. Some are harder to get working and require more attention to detail but they still work :)

There isn't nothing to give advice on other than that tbh :)

Thankyou :)

My last tactic is the first I made by myself and it was incredibly successful. I am wondering if it was pure genius...or a stroke of luck :lol: I am to become a very experimental manager, and I think I definitely want my next tactic to be asymetrical, it's just making sure I have cover in all parts of the field.

How does this look as a kind of "base" for the tactic?

nntH4w6Jl4k62GTKUm8S.png

Consider that the Anchorman is set nearly full defensive.

Nothing inherently wrong, you might find you want the TM to drop a little to create a bit more stagger so dropping him to support maybe something to look at but beyond that as a base to start from it all looks fine and dandy. The best fun starts when you watch how your plans work and how you have to change your plans to make it work!

I'd consider your back '4' purely defensive from what you are doing so the attacking action is all up top with you set up to have a 3-3 split, which will basically work out as 2 'chevrons' with the central guy the most advanced point of each 'line' (or strata) of players (although both 'chevrons' will 'droop' on the right but that could be sweet because it's creates overlaps).

I'd pay attention to their forward runs (runs from deep) instructions as well as you'd probably want players moving about, also check on where players are moving the ball to. The anchor may find that his only real option is DLP and that may be restrictive, it would be bad if he kept moving it back to DCL who also lacked options if WM and AP found they were often marked.

Nothing inherently wrong, you might find you want the TM to drop a little to create a bit more stagger so dropping him to support maybe something to look at but beyond that as a base to start from it all looks fine and dandy. The best fun starts when you watch how your plans work and how you have to change your plans to make it work!

I'd consider your back '4' purely defensive from what you are doing so the attacking action is all up top with you set up to have a 3-3 split, which will basically work out as 2 'chevrons' with the central guy the most advanced point of each 'line' (or strata) of players (although both 'chevrons' will 'droop' on the right but that could be sweet because it's creates overlaps).

I'd pay attention to their forward runs (runs from deep) instructions as well as you'd probably want players moving about, also check on where players are moving the ball to. The anchor may find that his only real option is DLP and that may be restrictive, it would be bad if he kept moving it back to DCL who also lacked options if WM and AP found they were often marked.

Thankyou for the advice :)

I'm still working out exactly how I want it to work. Would I be best dropping the WM(s) to WB(A)? In turn I would change the DLP(D) to a CM(S) to accommodate one of my players.

Thankyou for the advice :)

I'm still working out exactly how I want it to work. Would I be best dropping the WM(s) to WB(A)? In turn I would change the DLP(D) to a CM(S) to accommodate one of my players.

Yeah I could see how that would work and I reckon he'd get well forward and work the whole line if you get the right player. Similar to the formational setup you see for most forms of Catennacio or Zona Mista (different philosophy though, just similar formation).

I've actually used something similar but my guy was in at DR (rather than WB) with an attack role and I played through the left, this bunched players up on the left, I made sure players had the ability and instruction to play the ball long across the pitch and it worked out much better than I thought FM could handle with the DR often being released into acres of space and able to run right into the 18 yard box and cause havoc. He had so much space that I even used a striker (who is quick and good at dribbling) in there because he'd pick up the ball and get a run at normally one static defender. Does require a chap with a serious engine though if you want him to also be an attacking threat.

Archived