A question regarding how player attributes are assigned.

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is in the right section of the forum but I'm very interested to know how Sports Interactive assign player attributes. I'm curious to find out what differentiates between being awarded a 20(perfection) or a 19 in finishing and if a Sunday league or 5-a-side player was assessed how would they be assessed or would they be too amateurish to be awarded the assignation.

The scale is 20 (for best in the world ever kind of level) to 1 (lowest rating for a "real" footballer - not park football level). Park/5-a-side is basically 0. There shouldn't be too many high numbers apart from the very best players 14-16 numbers are very good even in the top leagues, and the 1s/2s should be reserved mostly for the amateur/semi-pro levels.

Differentiating between two consecutive numbers is largely by comparison, so SI researchers will compare with similar players and award similar ratings. Each player's attributes once all are complete then give an overall rating (CA for Current Ability) for the player, which is also used by SI and their researchers to check that the player is appropriately ranked in comparison to others.

I know nothing of the details of that division, but I would assume the Queens Park researcher rates all their players, and then the Scottish Division 3 head researcher will check that those ratings fit with the division as a whole, so the average CA of Queens Park players is about where it should be compared to the other teams. Anything that looks extreme will either be corrected or if there is a good reason then it will stay in the game.

The fact that they are amateur will not affect the player ratings, they will be decided by the researcher according to how they see the players, both compared to other players in the squad and wider in the league.

Thanks hluraven. Very interesting and informative. How would you rate queens park in division 3 of the Scottish league as they are the only fully amateur club in the Scottish league.

They may be only amateur club but have been in top 4 for past 4 years and were Div 2 before that. Amateur status doesn't mean worst club, and indeed many of their players have been poached by SPL clubs over recent years

Would it be too extreme and out there for a relatively unknown player to be spotted at a later age and then be able to play football professionally - i'm suggesting being spotted at 26. If they were incredibly naturally talented, would they have a chance?

Im sure wwfan stated the scale was actually 1 - 200 for attributes, but its easier on the eye when simplified 1-20, thats why occasionally when you start a new game certain players seem to gain/lose 1 point in certain areas.

Yeah, internally it's a scale up to 200 - you can see this on the training graphs. Attributes increase and decrease by a lot less than "1" each month.

At least in the past, player attributes at the start of the game could be slightly different from those in the editor when starting a game if they were to high/low for the player's CA. I'm assuming this is still the case. Being two-footed also can have a negative impact (which I personally disagree with, but that's not the topic at hand).

Would it be too extreme and out there for a relatively unknown player to be spotted at a later age and then be able to play football professionally - i'm suggesting being spotted at 26. If they were incredibly naturally talented, would they have a chance?

Irl there' Alessandro Diamenti who joined serie B club Livorno at 24, then changed to West Ham at 26. He's also played a few games for the Italian NT.

In FM I believe it would be impossible for that to happen.

Im sure wwfan stated the scale was actually 1 - 200 for attributes, but its easier on the eye when simplified 1-20, thats why occasionally when you start a new game certain players seem to gain/lose 1 point in certain areas.

Yes and no. Researchers use 1-20, this is multiplied up for the engine to use 10-200 and then they can move by 1s and 2s within the game. But, starting players on day 1 are all rated 1-20, with that used by the game engine to create 10-200. The new game changes are when the attributes set in the database do not match the CA number set for the player, not because of the scale.

Archived