FM13: Birmingham City FC: We dont care about Carson!....

idol1

Welcome to the Birmingham City Fc thread for FM 2013

logonkh.png

A brief history

Birmingham City were founded as Small Heath Alliance in 1875, and from 1877 played their home games at Muntz Street. The club turned professional in 1885,and three years later became the first football club to become a limited company with a board of directors, under the name of Small Heath F.C. Ltd. From the 1889–90 season they played in the Football Alliance, which ran alongside the Football League. In 1892, Small Heath, along with the other Alliance teams, were invited to join the newly formed Football League Second Division. They finished as champions, but failed to win promotion via the test match system; the following season promotion to the First Division was secured after a second place finish and test match victory over Darwen. The club adopted the name Birmingham Football Club in 1905, and moved into their new home, St Andrew's Ground, the following year. Matters on the field failed to live up to their surroundings. Birmingham were relegated in 1908, obliged to apply for re-election two years later, and remained in the Second Division until after the First World War.

The name Birmingham City F.C. was adopted in 1943. Under Harry Storer, appointed manager in 1945, the club won the Football League South wartime league and reached the semifinal of the first post-war FA Cup.

Birmingham became the first English club side to take part in European competition when they played their first group game in the inaugural Inter-Cities Fairs Cup competition on 15 May 1956; they went on to reach the semifinal where they drew 4–4 on aggregate with Barcelona, losing the replay 2–1. They were also the first English club side to reach a European final, losing 4–1 on aggregate to Barcelona in the 1960 Fairs Cup final and 4–2 to A.S. Roma the following year. In the 1961 semifinal they beat Internazionale home and away; no other English club won a competitive game in the San Siro until Arsenal managed it more than 40 years later. Gil Merrick's side saved their best form for cup competitions. Though opponents in the 1963 League Cup final, local rivals Aston Villa, were pre-match favourites, Birmingham raised their game and won 3–1 on aggregate to lift their first major trophy. In 1965, after ten years in the top flight, they returned to the Second Division.

In April 1989 the Kumar brothers, owners of a clothing chain, bought the club. A rapid turnover of managers, the absence of promised investment, and a threatened mass refusal of players to renew contracts was relieved only by a victorious trip to Wembley in the Associate Members Cup.Terry Cooper delivered promotion, but the collapse of the Bank of Credit and Commerce International (BCCI) put the Kumars' businesses into receivership; in November 1992 BCCI's liquidator put up for sale their 84% holding in the football club. The club continued in administration for four months, until publisher David Sullivan bought it for £700,000, installed the then 23-year-old Karren Brady as managing director and allowed Cooper money for signings. On the last day of the season, the team avoided relegation back to the third tier, but after a poor start to the 1993–94 season Cooper was replaced by Barry Fry. The change did not prevent relegation, but Fry's first full season brought promotion back to the second tier and victory in the Football League Trophy at Wembley, beating Carlisle United with a Paul Tait golden goal. After one more year, Fry was sacked to make way for the return of Trevor Francis.

Francis introduced players with top-level experience such as Manchester United skipper Steve Bruce. In his second season the club narrowly missed out on a play-off position, followed by three years of play-off semifinal defeats. They also reached the 2001 League Cup final against Liverpool at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium. Birmingham equalised in the last minute of normal time, but the match went to a penalty shootout which Liverpool won. By October 2001, lack of progress had made Francis's position untenable. After a 6–0 League Cup defeat to Manchester City, he left by mutual consent, replaced two months later by Steve Bruce. Bruce shook up a stale team, taking them from mid-table into the play-offs where they beat Norwich City on penalties to win promotion to the Premier League.

Motivated by the inspirational Christophe Dugarry, Birmingham's first top-flight season for 16 years finished in mid-table. Loan signing Mikael Forssell's 17 league goals helped Birmingham to a top-half finish in 2003–04, though performances and results tailed off badly towards the end of the season. First-team coach Mark Bowen was sacked and replaced by Eric Black, international players were signed, but an injury to Forssell left the 2004–05 team struggling for goals. More transfer window loan signings ensured another mid-table finish. Only two months later, chairman David Gold said it was time to "start talking about being as good as anyone outside the top three or four" with "the best squad of players for 25 years". Injuries, lack of form, and a lack of investment during the transfer window saw them relegated before the last game of a season whose lowlight was a 0–7 FA Cup defeat to Liverpool. Jermaine Pennant and Emile Heskey left for record fees, many more were released, but Bruce retained the confidence of the board. His amended recruitment strategy, combining young "hungry" players with free-transfer experience and shrewd exploitation of the loan market, brought automatic promotion at the end of a season which had included calls for his head.

In July 2007, Hong Kong-based businessman Carson Yeung bought 29.9% of shares in the club, making him the biggest single shareholder, with a view to taking full control in the future. Uncertain as to his future under possible new owners, Bruce left in mid-season to become manager of Premier League rivals Wigan Athletic. His successor, Scotland national team manager Alex McLeish, was unable to stave off relegation, but achieved promotion back to the Premier League at the first attempt, and a ninth-place finish, their best for 51 years, the following season. In 2011, they combined a second victory in the League Cup, defeating favourites Arsenal 2–1 with goals from Nikola Žigic and Obafemi Martins and securing qualification for the Europa League, with relegation back to the second tier. McLeish resigned in June 2011 to join Aston Villa. Successor Chris Hughton narrowly failed to reach the knockout rounds of the Europa League and the playoff final before, with the club in financial turmoil and under a transfer embargo, leaving for Norwich City in June 2012. He was replaced by Lee Clark.

Kits

kitsi.png

Stadium

St Andrew's Stadium

Capacity: 30,009

stadiumho.png

Club Information

birminghaminformationge.png

The Squad

teamreport.png

Goalkeeper: In Jack Butland, you have a very young goalkeeper with the potential to be worldclass. it's a real shame that you have nobody suitable to tutor him in the squad currently. your only real alternative comes in Colin Doyle. there is not much difference between the two in terms of current ability, but with Butlands potential i would be inclined to throw him straight in as first choice. You also have David Lucas sat in your reserves, this is exactly where he should stay.

Potential Targets: Tony Sylva - Free

butland.png

Right Back: With Stephen Carr out with a serious injury, you will have to put your faith in either and very defensive minded Jonathan Spector or the young loanee Paul Caddis. Again without bringing anybody in Caddis should be more than adequate to take care of first team duties, which leaves Spector as your utility man either on the bench or sat in midfield, where he performs equally as well.

Potential Transfer Targets: Roel Vos - 250k

Left Back: Arguably the best left-sided full back in the division, David Murphy would be the obvious choice to fill this slot. Very comfortable going forward and able to slot into a wide midfield position he's a player that will attract some attention from other clubs. in my opinion you should hang onto him at all costs. also among the ranks is ben gordon a youngster on loan from chelsea. he should provide decent cover in a crisis, but i have found to be slighty inconsistent due to his age and inexperience.

Potential Transfer Targets: - Jack Robinson - Loan, Jorge Casado - 250k

curtisi.png

Centreback: Birmingham are really blessed in this department. Curtis Davis is easily good enough to play at lower premier league standard, and will tempt a few clubs into trying to sign him at a knockdown price, he is also one of the only members of the squad that can command a decent fee. He can be sold for upwards of £6m depending on how big your database is, so if you are looking to rebuild a whole new squad it might be worth moving him on if the price seems right. Steven Caldwell again is really somewhere between lower prem and championship quality, although he lacks pace, he is a true leader on the pitch and will chip in with goals from set pieces. Which moves us onto Pablo Ibanez, again lacking in the pace department but solid and reliable in this division, with his determination of 20 can also be used to tutor youngsters.

Potential Transfer Targets: Stefan Strandberg - 400k, Doria - 525k.

Central Midfield: Once again you have decent defensive options available to you in Jonathon Spector, Hayden Mullins and Morgaro Gomis. all three will do a solid job without setting the league alight. i could be tempted to cash in on Gomis due to him aquiring a bit of interest from other clubs, it would depend on how defensive your midfield is to be. With more creative players in mind you have Keith Fahey, Darren Ambrose or Wade Elliot. Just like with your defensive players there is room to move in the transfer market here, all depending on how you like to set up with some clubs normally having an interest in Keith Fahey.

Potential Transfer Targets: Adryan - 875k, Ole Kristian Selnaes - 700k, Malaury Martin - Free, Boudewijn Zenden - Free.

fahey.png

Left Wing: This for me is the weakest area of the squad. Nathan Redmond, Keith Fahey and David Murphy can all play here but would then be missed from their prefered positions. You do have both Ravel Morrison and Peter Lovenkrands who can play an advance role here, but no pure left winger who can run at his man and get to the byline.

Potential Transfer Targets: Boudewijn Zenden - Free. Craig Sibbald - 230k

Right Wing: Here you have a great young prospect in Nathan Redmond. he's ready for first team football right from the off and only gets better as the season goes on. behind him you have either Chris Burke or Wade Elliot. i personally think there are other parts of the team that need strengthening before you consider buying a new right winger.

Potential Transfer Targets: N/A

ziga.png

Forwards: Here you have three fairly decent options in Nikola Zigic your classic big, strong target man. Peter Lovenkrands more of a deep lying forward and Marlon King who i'd class as a more advanced/poacher type of player. All three will do a job at this level but are advancing in age and will need to be replaced if promotion first season is on the cards.

Potential Transfer Targets: Wellington nem - 3.5m, Cameron Jerome - Loan.

Club Expectations

With the Club looking to change hands in the near future, finances are tight. You will be expected to at a minimum finish in the top half of the league.

expectations.png

With a few key members of the squad on premier league wages, you will be looking to shed the high earners to put the club back into a comfortable position financially.

Possible Formations

4-4-2

442d.png

4-5-1

451p.png

4-4-1-1

4411.png

Conclusion

Thanks for taking the time out to have a read, anything you would like me to add/change please feel free to ask.

:thup:

I'll be watching this thread with great interest idol1, Ive had a couple of seasons managing blues now and suffice to say, its gone a lot harder than i thought it would. No money and no wage budget available to sign players has lead to me struggling quite a lot. Despite losing half my squad at the end of the first season I was still told to get promotion in the second! Zigic and Davies although the highest earners at the club have proved very good players so I could push myself enough to sell then for the extra money :(

Good luck with the season!

I tend to do the same as krosotv, its how ive always played the FM series, bringing through youth players. Davis has to be sold for me, high wage although he's obviously a tad better than the league we're in, he's certainly no world beater.

i've managed to sell him for 7.5m in the past, which can bring in a whole load of young, cheap scandanavian talent capable of getting the mighty blues back to where they belong.

Stefan Strandberg is a must buy when i start a new Birmingham save. never failed to perform in the championship, and can make the step up.

Never managed to sell Zigic on first season, normally holds talks with one club or another, but wont accept the wage they offer.

but yeah, fahey, davis, gomis and burke normally all go and should net you enough for an easy promotion push.

Don't forget to ask the board to adjust your transfer percentage received from sale too, can normally knock an extra couple of bucks out of them before being taken over.

just as a point for something I found out too late. you can actually have a private talk with players and request that they drop their wage demands due to the club being in a financial crisis. It was a bit too late for me on some players, but I managed to get davies and burke to accept a much lesser wage than they originally wanted :)

Finally got around to starting a new save.

It's currently 21st Dec and not going too badly, we're sat in 7th place just outside of the playoffs. hopefully i can string a few results together and push for automatic promotion. Although a 14pt gap maybe a step too far. either way playoffs look realistic.

Transfers

Birmingham_TransfersHistory_zpse56a0ad2.png

I tryed to mix it up a bit, bringing in a couple of experienced heads aswell as a few young hungry players from abroad. i should also mention i have Doria from Botafogo coming in at the start of Jan, which is just aswell as Steven Caldwell has taken a knock.

League Table

npowerChampionship_OverviewStages_zpse83f45a8.png

Current squad

BirminghamCity_SquadPlayers_zpscea95a35.png

Tactics

Currently switching between an attacking 4-3-3 at home, and a counter attacking 4-3-3 away.

BirminghamCity_TacticsOverview_zps0b6fa4b3.png

BirminghamCity_TacticsOverview-2_zps92fc472b.png

My standout player has been Stefan Strandberg, easily my favourite player in this years release.

StefanStrandberg_OverviewAttributes_zps81519387.png

I'm starting my game now as my 'local team' Blues.

Looking to get rid of high earners Zigic and Davies. First season going to look at Loans and Free Transfers. Hopefully finish mid table maybe a promotion push!

going to start my save soon.i`m using lfc marshalls database from fmbase.also ive increased reilly,hancox and packwood`s CA by 10 as they look part of the first team squad this season.

Yeah i agree hancox, reilly and packwood could use a boost.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got to the start of September on my game. So thought I'd update you on my revamp of the squad.

Players in

Luke Shaw 3.1m

Ryan McLaughlin 3.2m

Stefan Strandberg 775k

Mauro Formica 3.2m

Erik Sviatchenko 725k

Ole Kristian Selnaes 675k

Mattheus 1.8m

Paddy McCourt 170k

Thomas Reilly 500k

Rob Hulse (loan)

Anthony Vanden Borre (free)

Maikel Aerts (free)

Total 14.25m(A lot of which is over 48 months)

Players Out

Chris Burke 3m

Morgaro Gomis 2.5m

Jonathan Spector 2.5m

Keith Fahey 2m

Marlon King 750k

Pablo Ibanez 650k

Colin Doyle 170k

Stephen Caldwell 500k

Hayden Mullins (free)

Stephen Carr (free)

Paul Robinson (free)

Peter Lovenkrands (free)

Wade Elliot (free)

Total 12m

So as you can see, I've ripped the original team to shreds and bought a lot of youngsters with promise. Gonna be playing a 4-1-3-2 formation, here's my squad.

GK - Goalkeeper(defend): Butland, Aerts

RB - Fullback(support): McLaughlin, Caddis

CB - Central defender(defend): Curtis Davies

CB - Central defender(defend): Strandberg/Sviatchenko

LB - Fullback(support): Muprhy/Shaw

DM - Anchorman(defend): Vanden Borre/Strandberg

RM - Winger(attack): Redmond, Morrison

CM - Advanced playmaker(support): Ambrose/Selnaes

LM - Winger(attack): Mattheus, McCourt

ST - Deep Lying Forward(support): Formica, Hulse

ST - Poacher(attack): Zigic, Reilly, Rooney

Think this team is easily good enough to win the championship and had a good start so far with 3 wins and a draw in the league, and into the 3rd round of the Carling Cup.

Also have Adryan and Doria both coming in on January 1st.

• 3 weeks later...

I can never get rid of Ziggic, For 50,000 a week i really need to get rid of him... he always wants me to pay the remander of what ever the other team offers to bump up his wage.. Found out that Redmond is not bad as a striker if needed

Wills224

KRO STOV

Long time no see krosotv! nice opening thread btw

Just started a new save with the mighty Blues as my last save I lost due to corrupt hard disk (bit of a coincidence :p lol ) this version proving to be the most challenging of all series!

Still in pre-season so will update after the wheelings and dealings I'm going to have to make looking for an advanced playmaker who can hit a few plus a ST, any suggestions?????

So far....

Players out - Jonathan Spector..... £2.8 M (would of wanted more but was deperate for a little cash)

Players in - Tal Ben Haim..... Free ( again not my first choice but may be looking to cash in on Davies for £8.0M)

Only 3 weeks in so will update after the window closes :thup:

KRO noses

UPDATE!!!!

A week before transfer deadline so far so good with results -

Blues 2 Oxford 0 CC (H)

Watford 1 Blues 4 LGE (A)

Blues 2 Bolton 0 LGE (H)

Peterborough 0 Blues 3 LGE (A)

Fleetwood 1 Blues 4 CC (A)

That leaves me top of the league with a massive 22K spent! :D

Looking to sell -

Redmond for £5M (dont fit in my formation)

Davies £8M

That should leave me well over £10M for cheap continent players and to re-structure the terrible finances that Pannu/Carson have damaged

KRO Noses!! :applause:

steamisannoying-i have started my game again sold 8 players for around 10m and brought in 10 for about 4.5m found some real gems my highest fee is 750k,scandinava is the place to go i will put up who i signed later(the Rosenborg midfield lol) KROSOTV:D

i`m playing an edited updated databas where Reilly,Hancox and Packwood have had a bit of a boost as they are part of the first tem squad this season

steamisannoying-i have started my game again sold 8 players for around 10m and brought in 10 for about 4.5m found some real gems my highest fee is 750k,scandinava is the place to go i will put up who i signed later(the Rosenborg midfield lol) KROSOTV:D

i`m playing an edited updated databas where Reilly,Hancox and Packwood have had a bit of a boost as they are part of the first tem squad this season

Nice one krosotv :thup: I will scout scandinavia immensely as I just can't get players to agree contracts either wanting to much or not willing to negotiate! Zigic is killing my wage budget have sold him 7 times for him to reject the contract offer :thdn: soo need to get him off my books, I'm currently just entering Transfer deadline day and I've got money burning a hole in my pocket time to buy buy buy :D

Will update just after deadline day

KRO SOTV!

right first season completed and we return to the top flight.A really good season saw us dominate the league from the start and only lose 7 games,which with such a young squad is a great effort.here is the league table

bfp9p2.jpg

The squad changed a lot over the course of the season,with the core of the side in their early 20`s so the future looks bright.here are my transfers

34pxedh.jpg

In early October we got taken over by Adam Pearson so it`s bye bye Carson and Peter

Very nice going m8 killed that league :applause:

I'm finding it particually diffficult to get players in noone wants to join 22K spent for a loan fee for Leroy Lita so thats that lol till January will update when the window re-opens

KRO!!

****UPDATE****

Just a quick update, managed to get Mauro Formica...Graig Gardner and Jamie Mackie on loan deals till the end of the season all 3 Prem experience and positions I needed just got manager of the month too currently 1ST in the table will update in Jan

Total spent/recieved

Players in 120K (all loan fees)

Players out £6.5 mill

That makes a profit of £6.30 mill and a drop in £30k wages saved

Time for a complete re-haul in the summer!!

just got my budget for next season, 3.8m how the **** can i survive on that looks like i`ll be shopping for players in poundland:D

edit-i can move my wage budget around to give me around 8m now i can work with that i will update later with my transfers

Lol it says I have around £1.3 million budget atm so god knows where the £6.3 million profit went!! (in Carson's pocket :lol: )

I'm a wheeler and dealer anyway and with the 3 loanees I got in should be able to mount a serious title challenge haha krosotv 8 million should be suffice to get a few bargains in :D

Just sent Lovernkrands out on loan to save some more wages..looks like a 3/4 season budget plan till the finances are restored I love a chellenge me :)

can you belive my luck half way through saving my game,guess what ****ing power cut so ive lost where i got up to,but ive remembered to do a rolling save so i`m back at the 8 may just after the season has finished so all is not lost.might make a few different signings though lol

i`m going to start a new and hopefully long term save i wasn`t happy with my last one,after the last time it crashed i just didnt feel happy playing it and couldnt get back into it.i will start again soon.ive learnt a few things though that will help me on this save

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats on the tycoon Krosotv, lets hope you can manage to keep hold of that save. just lost my long-term save aswell, as i went to post a long overdue update here. debating weather or not i can face starting a new one.

Finally got around to my new save to my new save tonight. the transfer windows closed and we're on a roll!

Thought i'd try something different this time around and after a bit of tuning i have settled for a narrow 5-3-2, with 3 center halves and wingbacks to support the midfield. and it seems to be working a treat so far.

Tact_zps99cf19d7.png

Transfers in/out

Transfers_zps90681b76.png

Fixtures played

Fixtures_zpsc33d9ec6.png

Current table

Table_zps50be9765.png

Season's over and we just about edged it to first place.

After a blip with injuries mid-season and reverting back to a 4-4-2 to steady the ship for a couple of months. I resumed with my original 5-3-2 to see us through the year.

Was taken over by a local buisnessman thank god, as i missed out on a few freebies due to lack of funds under Carson & co'

Endofseasontable_zps49e5cdde.png

Squadendofseaon_zpsf5eb5b43.png

Cheers matey, just sorting through who's still available on free's. Just need to build the numbers up more than anything and grind out this season i think. I cant even loan anybody half-decent as the board wont pay the wages.

i`m just in pre-season for the start of our premiership season. iwas handed a budget of 16m by our mexican tycoon (to be honest i expected more)but when i looked at the wage budget i worked out i could increase it to 25m and still have a good wage budget this is my transfer news.

first out of the door was Ambrose(Peterboro 500k),Zigic(Leeds 275k)with Selnaes(Bolton),Midjtso(Reading)and Pohjanpalo(Millwall)leaving on loan.firstly with Butland going back to stoke i needed a good goalkeeper who will handle the pressure of being first choice in the end i went and spent 6m on John Ruddy From Norwich,who hopefully will be our number one for a few years.i then decided that i needed a goalscorer and some creative spark i plumped for Weiss from Pescara for 6.25m to provide the creativity and Wilfried Bony for 7m from Vitesse to score the goals.I was then offered Yttergard Jenssen From Hoffenheim for 5m and with the squad being light in midfield i decided that it was well woth the risk,i also signed Diskerud from Rosenborg for 1.2m who had been on my radar for all of last season.Two free transfer joined us with Eardley providing cover at RB and Mudingayi giving us depth in the DM role.Finally two loan signings were Hiljemark From PSV and Dempsey from Spurs.

Squad

Gk-Ruddy,Doyle

Rb-Spector,Eardley

Lb-Murphy,Ruben

Cb-Davies,Strandberg,Kouyate,Batth

Dm-Mudingayi,Pekalski,

Cm-Jenssen,Svensson,Hiljemark,Diskerud,Dempsey

Wng-Redmond,Drage,Wiess

St-Bony,N`Djeng,Bueno

Looking good KRO.

I still can't shift Ziggy, nobody will take him. tryed loaning him out, asking for no fee, mutual termination the lot. and i cant afford to cancel his contract. Might keep fining him until he gets arsey and asks to leave :)

Archived