FM13: Bolton Wanderers F.C - A Wander into the Championship **To be Updated**

potter1989bwfc

Yeah for me Lonergan has just been getting Cup games and a couple of league games but hasn't done much wrong. I'm scouting Perin at the moment actually, but just had a look for Strandberg and Doria but they mustn't be on my game.

Also looking like Gartside is going to sell up to a Consortium on my game, which is good and bad, hopefully they'll wipe out any debts but on the other hand it's January and I can't sign anyone, and my contract only has 6 months to go, so I'm just praying they won't sack me! I can't be fired quicker than Sammy Lee, surely!

Untitled-1_zpscb480dc3.png

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow... I've never seen that, but the board keep feeding life lines to me... hopefully you'll get your money and they'll wipe all the debts out.

Give Tom Lees a look, he's not cheap but he'll come and hasn't been playing for Leeds in my save and has asked to be transfer listed, I plan on nicking him in the summer.

For Strandberg and Doria, you'll need Norwegian and Brazilian nations loaded.

I think you are safe but who knows...

Yeah they've taken over and invested £7m in the Training facilities, shame they've not touched the debt (yet). Crystal Palace are still bottom, on 17 points from 28 games, 12 points behinds the next lowest so unless they spend money, they're gone.

The new chairman "Charles Villeneuve" seems to be a heck of a lot better than Gartside ever has. Investing in youth and training facilties, didn't auto-accept a £7m bid for Davies (from Swansea) and offered me a new 2 year contract, doubling my wage...Result!

I do quite like that they're not throwing money everywhere, I'm planning a sustainable future, and them investing in facilities certainly help!

Finally getting some consistency, 3 wins in a row now, and players coming back from injury. I'm up to second, but that's mostly thanks to Derby who have lost 7 and drawn 1 of their last 9 games, however i'm still 7 points behind Cardiff, who are walking the league. On the flip side, Palace are still 15 points from safety, even the talents of Gareth Southgate isn't helping them.

I'm looking at Fraser Forster for next year, should cost a couple of million but my scouts reckon he'll come and he's a massive step up from Bogdan. Just got hammered 4-0 at home to Blackpool, after Knight and Mears (I definitely need to get rid of him...) both got sent off in the first 25 mins.

I've always found it takes quite a while to locate a better GK than Bogdan who is willing to come to us.

On a side note I started yet again. Just can't get into a game before I come up with something different I want to try. Anyway I'm top after 34 games 2 points clear of Wolves.

And guess who is back at the Reebok? Signed on a free in January...

El Hadji Diouf!!! :D Only signed until the end of the season but its good to see him back!

Sha la la la la la la la DIOUF DIOUF! :D

Just got these two beauties from my academy:

Untitled1-27_zpsb442d7c2.png

Untitled-1_zps7d0b60aa.png

Can't wait for those two to develop, sent my scouts out to have a look if any local clubs (Rochdale, Oldham etc.) have any decent talents I can steal too.

Wow, did Wolves push you all the way? I've been struggling for form, our only 2 players fully performing at the moment are Sordell and Chungy, although Sordell has managed 6 goals in the last 3 games, with Lee getting 2 and 4 assists, luckily Cardiff and Derby also seem to be having a rough time of it too, we're all seperated by a point with 6 games to go with 4th place 8 points behind us. Looking like a 3-way battle for the automatic promotion spots.

I'm still tapping up Fraser Forster every now and again ready for my summer raid, and I've found a couple of decent youth prospects at Watford and Boro, although Boro are refusing to listen to reasonable offers so I doubt I'll get their player.

Wolves did indeed push us all the way and finished 2nd.

N'gog was our player of the season with 35 goals in the Championship. Really need a decent 2nd GK or a replacement for Bogdan. Only £500k given to me as a transfer budget for our return to the Premier. Ray Wilkins though is a coach at the Reebok. :D

Oh and Dundee United striker Jon Daly joined us on a Bosman. Signed a 12 month deal but did score 25 goals last season.

And I thought I'd done well getting rid of N'Gog! He's done brilliant for you, I've really needed a player who can get goals, I just really didn't like him, I reckon I'll suffer next year without a proper goal scorer. Zaha seems up for a move and his agent has even sought me out regarding a transfer, I just need Palace to give me a better counter offer than £14m! Hopefully, if I sell Mears and get a bit of a transfer budget I can bring in Forster and add a goal scorer to the squad.

Just got two games remaining in the season now, with Cardiff and Derby level with me on points, although I have Wednesday at Home and Palace away. Wednesday are 21st and Palace rock bottom, so in theory I should have promotion sewn up, although this is Bolton so who knows, Zaha will most likely get a hat-trick against me, for the heck of it.

UPDATE: 13/14

Well as expected it was about bringing in the loan signings (five of them). By January 1st we lie 16th on 16 points from 19 games. To say it's a struggle would be an understatement. However, as the transfer window is upon us our transfer budget was given a £4m boost so we may yet stay clear of relegation as the board requested.

We have brought in 35 year old GK Lars Hirschfeld on a Bosman from Valerenga as back up for Bogdan.

I think we'll stay up and if we do then we may well get a serious transfer kitty in the summer. :D

This season N'gog is not getting the goals (4 in 16 games) and top scorers are new signing Jon Daly (5 in 20 games) and Marvin Sordell (5 in 20 games but only 7 starts).

Man City defeated us 7-1 at their ground whilst the 1st game of the new year has seen us lose away to Arsenal also by 7-1 :mad:

UPDATE 13/14

Managed to get 3 quality loans in and they all slotted straight into the 1st XI. An excellent transformation saw us end the season with 8 wins, 2 draws and 2 losses in our last 12 games. We comfortably avoided the drop and finished a very respectable 12th W 13 D 10 L 18 F 60 A 80 Pts 49. Player of the season for the fans again was surprisingly N'gog who finished with 14 goals in 33 League games.

UPDATE SUMMER

Some large contracts were dished out to keep players following our large increase in budget. Mark Davies who has been interesting the big clubs and who went on international duty for the World Cup but didn't make an appearance signed a new 5 year deal on £47k per week. Lee (interesting Arsenal) also signed a 5 year deal on £53k pw.

Our transfer budget was increased to over £16m!!! In came DR Kieran Trippier from relegated Burnley for £4.2m on £53k pw. He'd made his England début last season. DC Manuel Gilde from Dresden for £1.5m. DC Erik Sviatchenko from Basel for £3.2m. DR Mattias Johansen £4.2m from AZ. DL Antonio Luna £4.3m from Sevilla. MC Ruben Perez £1.3m from Athletic "B" and American International SC Terence Boyd £3.6m from Rapid Vienna. Two players also joined us on loan to give us what looks on paper a very exciting squad.

Season 14/15

We started exceptionally well but faded very badly. At one point we were top after about 10 games. Even with just 6 games to go we were tied with Spurs for 4th!

Then came...

Manchester United 9-2 Bolton Wanderers

Bolton Wanderers 1-6 Chelsea

Absolutely hammered. Chelsea would go on to do the League and FA Cup double. Then came 2 close home wins against lower opposition.

Then came...

Arsenal 5-1 Bolton Wanderers - GUTTED!!! Our defence seems to have more holes than a colander!

Our final game was a 3-2 loss at Anfield.

We finished 8th. N'gog got a bad long term injury toward the end of the season but managed 23 goals in 33 league games plus 3 in the cups.

The Cups saw us stopped 3-0 at Man Utd in the 4th Round of the League Cup and 2-1 at Arsenal also in the 4th Round of the FA Cup.

Midfield was very bad for injuries as both Holden (AGAIN) and Mark Davies played only 20 games between them. On a good note our 17 year starlet David Rimmer was loaned out to Championship side Preston and as a 1st team player he bagged them 9 goals and help them stay up by just 3 points.

Season  Division      Pos Pts Achievements
---------------------------------------------------
2012/13 Championship  1st  99 Champions, Promoted
2013/14 Premier      12th  49
2014/15 Premier       8th  59

Season Review:

Well... We did it! It came down to the last game of the season, anything other than a defeat would see us go up, whilst a win would likely be needed as Cardiff were just one point behind us. We faced a Crystal Palace side rock bottom of the league, so I was expecting a win, although we had to wait until the 92nd minute for Mark Davies to create and finish our winner. Cardiff lost and so must go through the play-offs, despite leading for most of the year, whilst Wolves were promoted in second.

Untitled-1_zps4de7b5e2.png

Signing of the season goes to either Ward-Prowse, although he's more one for the future, or Kyle Naughton on loan, who performed superbly. Over the season I've highlighted the fact we need a proven goalscorer, as Sordell was excellent but rarely consistent. My player of the season has to be Zat Knight, who finished with an average rating of 7.83 and was tremendous.

Next season, finances permitting, I'd like to sign Forster from celtic, who seems up to a move to Bolton, and I'd quite like to buy Zaha, who also seems to favour a move. Crystal Palace finished rock bottom and never looked like staying up: They were confirmed as relegated with 10 games to go, and then won 3 in a row! Hopefully their downfall means Zaha should be dirt cheap, but we'll see.

When did Watford sign him? :O Any tips on a British goal-scorer for the second season? Going to have a look at Keane and some of the Scots to see how they're getting on. Tempted to sell Lee if I get a decent offer. Zenit have been watching him all season so who knows.

Very difficult to find reasonably priced players British but have a look at Anthony Stokes. Signed him on loan once from Celtic and despite being a sub most of the time he got 15 Premier League goals.

In fact upon promotion loans is probably the only way you'll keep your head above water.

Looking at Zaha, obviously, and had scouted Hooper earlier in the year, i'll have a look at the others.

The board have given me a wage budget of £300k per week, about £25k p/w less than last year, and a transfer budget of £7.5m. I think I'll re-sign Spearing from Liverpool as he's transfer listed for £1.8m and hopefully sign Zaha if I can get him for under £5m.

Untitled-1_zpsebf836ee.png

Quite happy with my first three transfers for this season, I imagine Spearing will be the most regular starter. Spearing cost £1.7m and earns £15k per week, although in the (unlikely) event he gets 10 caps for England, he'll get a wage rise to £23k per week. Zaha has signed for £5.7m, of which £4m is coming over 18 months, although I've had to indulge him, he's earning £19k per week, with £4k per appearance, making him one of my highest earners! Ross Phillips is a newgen, signing from Watford for around £500k, he'll probably stay in the youth-team for a year or two before getting some playing time on loan in the lower leagues. Scouts reckon he'll be a good premier league left-back, so fingers crossed.

Excellent signings there too mate. If you have no cash left and are looking for a winger/striker that scores goals go to Ajax and take young Viktor Fischer on loan. I've played him as a striker this season and he's scored quite a few. He'll cost nothing per month and his wages aren't worth him claiming. :D

I have recently started a Bolton save after starting the game unemployed. I got the job in November with Bolton sitting 16th in the championship. The squad was riddled with injuries but things have gone very well. I have got the team to the top of the league with 8 games to go. I have a 10 point cushion from 3rd place Huddersfield so promotion looks good. I was dumped out the FA cup though by Newcastle in the 3rd round.

My main tactics is a 4-1-2-2-1 but sometimes I switch to a straightforward 4-4-2 with Davies acting as a TM.

I sold Holden in Jan for 5M to boost the finances and Pertov and Davies will be released at the end of the season. N’Gog is out for the season with a cruciate injury. Signings in Jan were Jonathan (Inter – Loan), Le Fondre (Reading - Loan), Espinosa (Barcelona B – 200K)

My team is usually

---------------Le Fondre/Sordell----------------

Eagles--------------------------------------------Lee

---------------Davies-----Andrews---------------

---------------------Spearing-------------------------

Alonso-----Knight-------Ream----Jonathan/Ricketts

---------------------Bogdan--------------------------

Star player has been Lee, he has been exceptional as a right winger chipping in with 10 goals and 19 assists so far. Eagles has been good as well playing as an inside forward on the left. Le Fondre has been a goal a game since coming in on loan in Jan to replace the injured N’Gog. I will update the thread as I go with hopefully next season in the prem.

How have people who go up first season found the Prem?

It seems Bolton are in need of a huge overhaul to be a viable threat up there, and I can only imagine there isn't much money available either.

Well unless people cheat you're not going to win it. I manage mid table fairly regularly when I've started as Bolton.

In my current game 3rd season just defeated Man Utd 2-0 at the Reebok in the 1st leg of the League Cup Semis so fingers crossed for getting to my 1st Final. Also signed in January and back where he belongs Daniel Sturridge. :D

Meanwhile for no monthly fee and not paying even 1p toward his loan Torres moves to Swansea!!!

How have people who go up first season found the Prem?

It seems Bolton are in need of a huge overhaul to be a viable threat up there, and I can only imagine there isn't much money available either.

Yeah, i'm going to post my transfers for my 2nd Season (First season back in to the Prem) soon. Money was tight, about £6m to stay up, and due to my new board (Other people who haven't had a takeover will be different) I had to sell to buy, and I'm only getting 30% of my transfer revenue back for transfers. I sold Lee for £20m to Liverpool, as he was moaning about me rejecting offers for him. Used the £7m made available to me from that wisely, I'll post them up in a couple of hours. Two games in and I've lost to City 4-0 at the Etihad (they were champions last year) and then drew 2-2 to Wolves at the Reebok, I'm conceding way to many at the moment.

SEASON UPDATE 2013-14

So here we are, back in the Premiership! Here are my transfers for the second season: As you can see, total spent was around £12.75m, and we raised £27m in sales.

Untitled-1_zps1a683e7b.png

Ins -

Ross Phillips (Newgen) My scouts have given him 5* potential and he's already impressed in a cup game against Leeds, he'd be a quality L1 player at the moment at age 16 and my scouts reckon he'll be a leading premier league CB/RB.

Jay Spearing - He impressed me this year, and once he returned to Liverpool he was listed for £1.8m, which I then negotiated down to £1.7m, already a strong player and at that price, even if it doesn't work out I can hardly make a loss on him!

Zaha - As a result of Palace's terrible season (relegated bottom with 28 points) he was eager to move. I'd spent all season tapping him up, and he was offered to me for just under £6m. He's already proving his worth with 1 assist and 1 goal in 4 games.

Owen - The iconic poacher! Signed for a bargain £11k p/w (+£8k appearance fee) he'll probably rarely play, but already he's scored 2 in the Cup on his debut.

Destro - Destro will probably be my main striker this year, he always seems to be on a free, and I can't wait to see him in action in the league. Got a hat-trick on his debut against Leeds in the Cup, scoring in the 90th minute to send us to extra-time, then completing his hat-trick in the 95th and 105th minutes.

Naughton - He was transfer listed for just £2.6m but unfortunately due to funds I couldn't free up the money to sign him, so like last year, he's just on a season-long loan. Hopefully he'll do as well as he did last year, and will be my starting RB for this year.

Musona Brought in to replace Lee, who went to Liverpool, on the right wing, will provide cover for Zaha and can play all across midfield and up front.

Forster On of my main targets this year, hopefully now he'll be my main keeper for the next 5+ years until I can hopefully move on to better things in Europe. Great, solid 'keeper and as a bonus he's English!

Outs

Mears - Awful player, couldn't wait to get rid, 'nuff said.

Lee - Zenit offered me £16m which I rejected, to which Lee to offence and demanded I sell him, Liverpool were happy to pay £20m for him, which freed up funds for several new additions)

Lonergan Now that I had Bogdan and Forster, he didn't seem necessary, he's gone to Ipswich to stay match-fresh and I'll have another look at him next year.

Chris Manning The Regen that came through my academy last year with 4 1/2* potential, declared himself a Bolton fan and seemed like he wanted to stay with us for years. Needless to say, United came in and offered him a pre-contract and off he went. Typical young Bolton fan I s'pose (All closet Utd Fans). £800k up front, rising to £2.2m for a 15 year old isn't too bad, however.

Keith Andrews (£1.5m) You can't see Andrews as he's off-screen, but he was sold to Celtic to finance the Forster deal, as he was the only player I could get money for that I felt I could sell. Shame really as I liked his determination for tutoring youngsters.

Eagles (£4.6m) - Not really a fan of Eagles, he didn't do too well for me last year and getting nearly £5m for him is brilliant business I think. I'll miss his versatility, but Musona can play in all of Eagles' positions and more, so i'm not too bothered with that.

I'll let you know how we're faring come January time!

Yeah I could have got more value for money from foreigners, but I feel it's something that Bolton are working on in reality so I just want to mirror that, for example I probably could have signed Rensing or another foreign 'keeper for Free or >£2m, however Forster is more than capable and at under £5m is cheap enough for a keeper who will perform for another 10 years at least.

Still without a win in the Premier League. Didn't mind losing 4-0 to City on the opening day, but then a 2-2 draw at Wolves was followed by a 3-2 defeat to Norwich. I need to start picking up points soon. Still out of the relegation zone though, 4 teams are yet to record a point.

I only managed a couple of hours last night but secured promtion with 3 games to spare so ill post my 2nd season transfers when they happen.

Good job Henrik! Still without a win after 5 games (3 draws 2 losses) in the league, and I have Arsenal in the Cup, so it's not going well at the moment. However, I was 2-1 up against Liverpool at Anfield until Wylde gave away a 94th minute penalty, which Borini converted. QPR and West Brom up next so hopefully I can pick up some points now.

Fourth season we managed to finish 5th and make it into the Europa League. We have now made 2 League Cup semis in the last 2 years and got beat by Man U both times. I was getting miffed by three things about the game that seems to happen all the time.

1 - Fed up of getting beaten after having about 30 shots at goal.

2 - Injuries to strikers. Way too many to more than one striker at a time. If one gets injured in a game you can bet at least one other striker would be injured in training before the next game!

3 - Hostile bidding for players. Unless they are reserve team players I do not think that in 4 1/2 seasons I have a hostile bid for a player. Amazing for a team listed as overachievers three seasons running!!! SI are supposed to have sorted this out but so far I see no evidence of it!!!

Fourth season we managed to finish 5th and make it into the Europa League. We have now made 2 League Cup semis in the last

3 - Hostile bidding for players. Unless they are reserve team players I do not think that in 4 1/2 seasons I have a hostile bid for a player. Amazing for a team listed as overachievers three seasons running!!! SI are supposed to have sorted this out but so far I see no evidence of it!!!

Just my 2 cents on this one, I've found it helps if you set an "asking price" for a player. This seems to encourage teams to put bids in, I usually set them absurdly high for Key players (£32m for LCY) but if it's a player I feel I wouldn't mind letting go, a reasonable asking price (I had Eagles listed for £6m) seems to encourage teams, even if you don't get the full amount (I got £4.6m for Eagles)

Just my 2 cents on this one, I've found it helps if you set an "asking price" for a player. This seems to encourage teams to put bids in, I usually set them absurdly high for Key players (£32m for LCY) but if it's a player I feel I wouldn't mind letting go, a reasonable asking price (I had Eagles listed for £6m) seems to encourage teams, even if you don't get the full amount (I got £4.6m for Eagles)

I'll give it a go :)

So heading into the second season the transfer window did not go as I had planned. As I was warned the board handed me a budget of 2M and 300K wages which was going to be a challenge, many of the players also received an increase wage due to promotion so this ate into the wage budget. I had also anticipated high bids for Lee but this did not materialise, I had no offers so perhaps my asking price was too high. This meant I had little to work with so in a way the challenge is more interesting. Another factor is I brought over 4M in sales but see very little of this hitting my budget so all my transfers have been on a free or on loan. I moaned to the board most weeks before the window closed but so far they have not budged. :mad:

Transfers In

David Ospina – Free. My first signing after going up. Cracking keeper, delighted with the signing. Been excellent so far as well in the league.

Vladimir Weiss – Free. Another early signing, has taken the wide left role from Eagles so far.

Cristian Ansaldi – Loan. Another good signing who is likely to be the first choice LB.

Geoffrey Kondogbia – Loan. I failed with my bids to get Jay Spearing back as he went to Villa and I really struggled to get a decent DM in but this youngster has been excellent so far claiming the young player of the month in Aug.

Tomas Kalas – Loan. Another stop gap loan signing to boost the squad, has done well so far.

Jorge Molina – 100K. I really struggled to find a target man striker with many failed bids and not being able to afford players wages. I opted to bring in Molina who has good stats but is a bit slow. So far so good, he has 5 goals although 4 of these came in the league cup against Ipswich.

Adam le Fondre – Loan. The hero last season with 16 goals after his Jan loan moved so I decided to bring him back as I was needing more numbers.

Olaf Melberg – Free. Late signing but still a decent player. Will likely only play for the season before I look to build.

David Jarolim – Free. Another stop gap veteran signing to boost the midfield numbers, likely to be backup.

Hera are my transfers out, mainly players who were on the fringes of my team anyway. One disadvantage are most are British and I brought mainly foreign players in.

Transfers Out

N’Gog – Wolves 2.5M. Perhaps I could have got more for him. He was injured for most of my first season but when he returned he did not impress so decided to sell.

Mears – Burnley 300K. Didn’t feature much so happy to sell.

Pratley – Huddersfield 675K. Was on loan at Charlton when I joined so never featured for me and wasn’t in my plans, happy with the fee I got.

Lonergan – Huddersfield 100K. Was backup but due to the signing of Ospina not needed.

Wheater – Sheff Wed 1M. Another who never featured through injury so happy to sell.

Mills – Norwich Loan. I was tempted to keep Matt as backup but I ended up bringing in Mellberg so I accepted the loan. Tbh was 3rd choice last season and seem to get booked too often or make silly mistakes.

So as I mentioned not the signings I would have anticipated so the challenge is most definitely trying to stay up and build from there. My biggest concern is injuries to central midfield. I am playing with a DM and two CMs but I don’t have great depth to cover injuries so I might need to rethink that if it happens.

I have played 5 league games and one league cup and the results are

Bolton 1 – 2 Arsenal

Wolves 1 – 0 Bolton

Ipswich 3 – 6 Bolton (LC)

Bolton 1 – 1 Swansea

West Ham 2 – 2 Bolton

Bolton 4 – 0 Reading

Fairly happy with the recent form after two narrow defeats to start so it’s looking ok but the fixtures have been fairly kind.

I will provide an update in Jan with how progress is going and provide some screenshots (rather than type this at work! :lol:)

Archived