Wigan - Onwards And Upwards

Pre-Season

Friendlies

friendliesg.png

Transfers

wigantransfershistory.png

Transfer Summary

I've let a lot of players go and first teamers too, some although icons had to go due to their age. This being the last year of any re-sale alue for the likes of Cisse. letting Gago Bannan and Pearce go was not easy to do, but in the last year of their contracts I had to let them go now.

Pedro Matias - A great young prospect signed from Arsenal, comes with baggage, but has great great talent.

http://yfrog.com/gipedromatiasoverviewprofp

Cieran Clark - Despite a fabulous season last season. Our defence was very poor. Clark had an outstanding year last year, and is also a homegrown player.

Jan Stevens - Another young talent. part of my 'getting the house in order' philosophy before i leave Wigan, by signing young future talents it ensures the long term future of the club for when i leave.

http://yfrog.com/47janstevensoverviewprofip

Scott Carson - No keeper played well at the beginning of last year, I though Lindegaard was the answer but he was poor, so had to bring in Kieran Westwood as an emergency, so last year i started scouting extensively, Carson was a free transfer, with experience and home grown so makes perfect sense.

Kasper Schmeichel - Another free transfer, adds depth and also quality.

Joleon Lescott - Good experienced English defender.

Antonio Valencia - A brilliant signing very good player and a real fan favourite at the DW

Eduardo Salvio - a former 'one to watch' seemed to drop of the radar at Athletico, hopefully he can light it up at Wigan.

Stefan Savic - adds depth and knows the league, free agent.

Sergio Canales - Adds an alternative to Muniain on loan from Madrid.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bad luck in the CL :( but you can make up for it in the Europa League!

yeah what happened in the CL was horrible! i'm almost looking forward to the season being over already in late October, deffinetley think ive stayed a season too long here and im now looking to move on! Although i do say that every year haha then find it too hard to let go

yeah what happened in the CL was horrible! i'm almost looking forward to the season being over already in late October, deffinetley think ive stayed a season too long here and im now looking to move on! Although i do say that every year haha then find it too hard to let go

Wouldnt it feel better with your own club though? Surely that's the challenge? Taking them to the next level!

Season Five - Update One

Summary

Well its been an odd start to the year, qualifying from the Europa League group is fantastic. The league form has deffinetley been hampered by Europe. Losing Muniain to injury has absolutley decimated the plans we made in the summer and a lot of the games we've lost can be attributed to not having him around. We had a diabolical opening schedule, so now we're going to look to press on for the rest of the year. There's been some interesting developments around our club and around europe which i'll post in the next post.

League Table

barclayspremierleagueov.png

Europa League Group

uefaeuropaleagueovervie.png

Fixtures

wiganathleticfixturesfi.png

Squad Performance

wiganathleticsquadplaye.png

AC Milan also had a tycoon takeover, would be an interesting prospect if that job was availible in the summer.

oliverconnollynewsinbox.png

Closer to home, Wigan are also in the process of a board takeover. Hopefully the new man will back be heavily and force my hand to stay!

The Best result in the clubs history

wiganvstandardinformati.png

A horrible match that we should have closed out

wiganvcardiffinformatio.png

Wouldnt it feel better with your own club though? Surely that's the challenge? Taking them to the next level!

Yeh it would do, but I cant take them much further than i have with the budgets offered, even the calibre of players I could bring in when i got to the champions league were worse than the squad i had. Some times you just run your course at a club and i think im at that stage. However i do say that every year haha

Update Two - Twenty Match Update

Summary

Well its been an improving month. We've raised ourselves into the top half, the last game against Arsenal was gutting. But our main focus is on Europe if im honest, i'd love to do well with this Wigan side in Europe. I'm continuing to 'get the house in order' before my departure, securing Sven Bender and Emiliano Insua on free transfers for the summer.

League Table

barclayspremierleagueov.png

Fixtures

Squad Performance

Dave Whelan an utter legend, trying to hurry up the takeover.

Update Three - Thirty Match Update

Summary

Well we've continued to press on this month, we've only lost once in the league and that was away to the double champions of Arsenal. I completley wrote off the FA Cup, playing a group of kids away at Sunderland. For the remainder of the year its all about trying to finish 7th and seeing how far we can go in the Europa League.

League Table

barclayspremierleagueovq.png

Fixtures

Squad Performance

wiganathleticsquadplayeqkf.png

Europa League Quarter-Final

First Leg

wiganvcskamoscowinforma.png

Second Leg

cskamoscowvwiganinforma.png

A phenominal achievment for our club, still only averaging around 18k fans in the Europa League. Just fantastic to get to the semi-final. Whatever happens now its been a fantastic season again for the club.

Shane Allinson

Shane Allinson also reached a personal achievement, off passing Pappis Cisse's goal total. This justifies letting Cisse go at his age after the fans vilified me for it. I love when a young regen you bring in at a young age goes on to be a top player.

Sem-Final Draw

A great great chance for us to get to the final!

uefaeuropaleagueovervie.png

A Fantastic occasion for the club, an unbelievable feeling into the Europa League final. We will face Manchester City at ibrox, a side romping to the english title, it couldnt be more difficult, but its one game and nighty minutes and we'll see whay happenes. Just great for the club to get there.

Europa League Semi-Final First leg

wiganvpsvinformationove.png

Second Leg

psvvwiganinformationove.png

Absolutley Unbelievable

The greatest night in this small clubs history! A stunning display at Ibrox after going 1-0 down in five minutes. The Premier League dealt us a great hand, with a title decider at the Etihad between Man City and Chelsea just three days before. A fantastic display and a fitting way for me too sign off as Wigan manager.

wiganvmancityinformatio.png

End Of Season Update

Summary

A fantastic, fantastic season. A stunning way to sign off. Winning the Europa League was special. The performances of the players have been simply outstanding. Shane Allinson has been on another planet at his age, and where ever i end up he will deffinetley be my top target. To leave this reign at the DW with a win over West Brom was also a very nice feeling.

League Table

barclayspremierleagueovj.png

Fixtures

wiganathleticfixturesfib.png

Squad Performance

Well some big big developments that I need peoples help with, as i said at the start of the year this was to be my last year with Wigan and i have duely left the club.

I've left them held in very high regard, and i will deffinetley return one day. Being considered a 'legend' at the club is phenominal

wiganinformationgeneral.png

The man chosen to follow me...

Jewell's a true Wigan icon. so a good fit to follow on my good work. Now the hard part of choosing where next to go!

The jobs that are on the table at the moment for me are.

Barcelona

Pro's

What an opportunity to follow an idol at a club I adore. To go there and chalk off one of the Champions Leagues im chasing would be a dream before moving on.

They have already signed Neymar this summer.

Con's

Some would say not the most difficult challenge, but i wouldnt remain there long. Time to rebuild after the 2nd coming of the dream team (Puyol, Iniesta, Xavi, Messi)

The England National Team

Pro's

A great opportunity to be the 'prime minister' of football, still hold some sour grapes that i wasnt even approached when the FA went for Sam Allardyce.

All the pieces are in place for a great attack at Russia 2018. Including my good old friend Shane Allinson already knowing my system.

Con's

International management is very stagnated, a lot of stopping and starting and large gaps between matches.

Manchester United

Pro's

Huge club with a huge following. A giant off the game, the name says it all really.

Con's

As a born a bread Liverpool fan it is really not appealing!

I also never wanted to leave Wigan for another english club

Chelsea

Pro's

They've been in for me before so clearly want me. Have never one the Champions League so would be a great achievement if i was to win one with them.

Con's

Alot of rebuilding needs doing, players like Terry and Lampard still command huge wages within the squad and would be very difficult to move on.

Again another english club.

So there's the offers and i need your help! cant continue to see if i get anymore offers, because for seem reason you can't delay national team job. so thoughts??

Again, I would have said stay with Wigan and keep pushing them on as you had a pretty solid team there.

But having said that, I haven't seen anyone manage England on here so I reckon I'd say take the England job. Become an England legend and move on from there. As you said with Barcelona, I think all of the clubs that have come in would be pretty easy really.

Afternoon Ollie, just spent the best part of an hour reading your thread, great stuff mate.

Surely you must be off to the Catalan capital? Perhaps manage England as a side project at the same time and see if you can carry on the great tradition that Sam Allardyce has left you with :D

Afternoon Ollie, just spent the best part of an hour reading your thread, great stuff mate.

Surely you must be off to the Catalan capital? Perhaps manage England as a side project at the same time and see if you can carry on the great tradition that Sam Allardyce has left you with :D

It you don't want to manager an English club team, then your options are Barcelona or Team England. Why not both? :)

I agree take both win a champions league with Barca, then move on and England would be good to try and win them euro's and the world cup.

Well as mentioned above boys there was simply only one club too pick. That was of course FC Barcelona

I simply could not turn it down. As i said at the start i will play it like a proper manager, and i will not take a part - time role internationally. In the future i will deffinetley take the England job, but for now i just want too enjoy getting a Champions League under my belt and a couple of La Liga titles, whilst building the third 'dream team.'

The squad does need reshufling there are players hanging on from the last squad, and i will shake it up.

Interestingly after taking on Barcelona, Roberto Mancini was taken on by England. This meant that the special one swapped Spain for England and Manchester. This has made my job slightly easier in my eyes. Still top players, but i wont be going up against Mourinho.

robertomancinioverviewp.png

Summer Update

Well I arrived to late for the frendlies, so i was straight into competitive football, but i was able to shape the squad, bringing in players who could play 10+ years for the club.

Transfers

barcelonatransfershisto.png

(I have blanked out the two players i've signed in January for future updates)

Being able to move on big players such as Mascherano, Valdes and Pedro was big for the club, thank god for the super rich AC Milan!

I of course brought with me the man with a huge huge future, Shane Allinson, i brought him too Wigan for £1.6m from Southampton and then with me to Barcelona for £25m giving a nice little helping hand to my former employees. i was doing my best not to 'gut' Wigan of all my stars e.g. Gylfi, Romario (although they did let him go to Liverpool)

Shane Allinson

shaneallinsonoverviewpr.png

Two others players im excited about:

Angel

ngeloverviewprofile.png

Just £2.2m allows us to let him develop, being tutoured by Messi i have very high hopes for this young fella.

Jemal Musoti

jemalmusotioverviewprof.png

A very good prospect again, big transfer fee will hang on him. Will rotate with Busquets this season and a guy who can anchor the midfield for 10 years.

£360m transfer budget should just about cover a squad shake up :thup:

Wondering who they will pit you against in the Real hotseat, hopefully someone interesting rather than one of the generic merry-go-round types.

haha the money really helped. I spent a heck of a lot. But its for transfers off players over multiple years so i wont (or barca wont) need to spend much money for 8 years or so.

Massamilliano Alegri was the man chose for me to pit my wits against. So far he's not done great, and the Madrid press are on his back, but hopefully he remains for now.

Thank you to everyone for the comments, these sort of stories with people already in the Premier League dont appear to do too well on this site, but people seem to be enjoying it. Hopefully me going to Barca wont turn anyone away, (who thinks its too easy). Just stick with it and we'll see where we go, i will be back at Wigan to win a league title so please keep following and commenting :)

Season Six - Update One - Ten Match Update

Summary

A good start to life at Barca, of course implementing my ideas, and the players have to gel. Some dissapointing results with home draws v Sevilla and Zaragoza. of course losing to Wigan was not ideal but it was only the Super Cup. My first Classico was fantastic to get under my belt and a 4-1 win at the Bernebau was sensational to start the season with.

our Champions League group

Marseille

Celtic

Lazio

League Table

ligabbvaoverviewstages.png

Fixtures

fcbarcelonafixturesfixt.png

Squad Performance

fcbarcelonasquadplayers.png

El Classico

rmadridvbarcelonainform.png

My Tactics

These are the tactics im using at barca. (not the sides picked, this is after a Copa Del Ray game) The first is the one i used at Wigan with some slight alterations to creative freedom as well as a slower tempo. The 2nd is based on a barca tactic my mate found, like the one Pep used at home this season, it keeps a lot of possesion and doesnt concede to many despite only one centre back.

barcatactic1.png

barcatactic2.png

Update Two - Twenty Match Update

Summary

A fantastic stretch of matches. We won the World Club Championship, of course we were expected too but nice to get it anyway. We are performing brilliantly in the league, winning the 2nd Classico by a huge margin, we're in a prime position with a game in hand and still having Valencia to play at home.

Losing too Madrid in the CDL, was horrible, but i was using a 'B' team so it wasnt too bad.

The little maestro is in just scintilating form, he's just unstoppable.

League Table

ligabbvaoverviewstagesi.png

Fixtures

fcbarcelonafixturesfixt.png

Squad Performance

fcbarcelonasquadplayers.png

UEFA Champions League Draw

uefachampionsleagueover.png

Both should work well. I've never tried a backline on only three...always kind of scared me for being leaky.

Yeh it can be, but the way the holding midfielder is set up, he can often act as a 2nd centre-half + having someone of the talent of Pique is quite a special talent to have!

World Club Championship Final

botafogovbarcelonainfor.png

La Liga vs Tenerife

barcelonavtenerifeinfor.png

Phenominal display, La liga's biggest ever win!

Second 'El Classico'

barcelonavrmadridinform.png

A great performance. Got very worried when they drew level at 2-2, and they really put the pressure on. But that man popped up again to destroy Allegri's men.

Messi's Performance

Breaking his own record only halfway through the season. WOW.

Archived