Playing the swansea way

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very similar to a Barca setup. 4-3-3 probably right, maybe a fluid 4-1-2-2-1. High closing down, low tempo high time wasting to make things patient. I would leave passing on mixed so that they can still play a long ball if they want too. IF you want more advice on Player roles or anything more specific just ask ill be happy to help

I watched Swansea-Man City. They were brilliant. Try the retain possession shout too.

jimbob I tried the highish time-wasting thing but I stuggled to tell that it made a difference (except for the tedious and unwanted delay in taking set-pieces). So I unticked it and even though I also switched to fastest possible tempo I still retain the ball well, pass backwards etc.

any advice on this from anyone would be much appreciated.

I watched Swansea-Man City. They were brilliant. Try the retain possession shout too.

jimbob I tried the highish time-wasting thing but I stuggled to tell that it made a difference (except for the tedious and unwanted delay in taking set-pieces). So I unticked it and even though I also switched to fastest possible tempo I still retain the ball well, pass backwards etc.

any advice on this from anyone would be much appreciated.

Ive never actually tried it with a faster tempo but I may look into that. Ive always gone by the rule of thumb that:

low tempo + high time wasting = better ball retention

quick tempo + low time wasting = more counter attacking direct football

What other team instructions do you have set up? Id much prefer my teams to play possesion based football but I do find im willing them to move it quicker sometimes.

On the point of noticing a difference wiht high time wasting I have only noticed that instead of shooting from the edge of the area or a similar position they knock it backwards/sideways and wait for the through ball.

"I've always gone by the rule of thumb that...etc"...yeah your stuff in bold is undoubtedly true so far as I know but I'm usually trying to get a good solid amount of possession but not necessarily trying to maximise it...if I didn't have a tight defence and good possession I'd be unhappy

"I have only noticed that instead of shooting from the edge of the area or a similar position they knock it backwards/sideways and wait for the through ball"...now you mention it although they still knock it backwards from inside the area they do probably do it less...but that doesn't necessarily mean they take hasty shots more...basically my understanding of fast tempo is that I'm telling them to use the ball quickly but I'm not telling them to take a hasty shot or to get it forward quickly because usually (but not always) I'm telling them pass to feet and retain possession as part of the deal...combined with these shouts ultra-fast tempo seems to work fine although the standard of your players is bound to be a factor

I've got a team that's roughly Liverpool standard (without Suarez) and I'm narrowly top of the Prem with 10 games to go and pretty tricky fixtures compared to my challengers Man City...I'm playing 4-4-2 about 2/3 of games and 4-5-1 in the other games depending on the strength of my opponents, injuries and squad rotation issues

Concentrating on the 4-4-2 it's pretty standard but fluid (usually) and fastest possible tempo (usually)...most other stuff on default...usually a DLF + poacher, 0-1 wingers, 1-2 solid defensive midfielders...I say usually because I invariably tighten up as the game progresses...so nothing too special except lots of players who are resolute or similar...best players Shawcross, J.Evans, Willian, Leandro Damiano sort of thing

I don't feel the team is strong enough to play pretty football because I'm in a tense struggle but they knock it around nicely at times and it's fun to watch...basically I reckon the real reason I'm doing OK is the motivation, shouts and tactical adjustments during matches etc.

"make things patient"...yes that's my normal way of thinking too...so I was interested to try the time-wasting thing and tried it a while back in a different game...I didn't stick it all the way up to the top but I struggled to see that it was helping that's all...basically I wasn't getting enough total shots

without spending all afternoon explaining every idle thought in my head what I'm trying to do is (a) dominate possession say 60-40ish without being too anal about it (b) total shots 15-20...too many = low quality chances © a good percentage of shots on target compared to total shots...40% plus means I'm creating good chances (d) dominate shots on target compared to my opponents (e) dominate motivation compared to my opponents

to explain this last point...when I press, hard tackle (some players) and keep possession I find my player's motivation goes up during the game and very often my opponents collapse into partial or complete anarchy...they can't keep the ball, they can't make chances, they realise they're getting outplayed, they give up or lose discipline...I make it worse for them by going more and more defensive during the game even if I'm level (not always)...in the league I've scored about 2 goals per game and conceded 0.5...I've no doubt plenty of other people also dominate motivation and it's not all down to my system but I'm interested what people think about how I do things

against teams I should beat (this includes away games against mid-table teams)...after about 20-30 minutes if my possession percentage is too low I tighten up a little...same if I've got motivation problems (which is rare)...same if I've got 2-3 early yellows (a sign that I'm struggling in midfield) or my opponents are making chances or are well motivated...often tightening up is the trick that helps me to gain control of midfield and score

if I lose a goal I almost always stick to my normal system for at least 60 mins because I've got faith in it

sorry if this post is a bit of a dog's breakfast but any comments or suggestions from anyone would be most welcome...cheers

Going back to Swansea I think Dyer tucks in and Sinclair attacks more although I don't know if you'd want to try that in FM...also I've got access to Opta stats if you want any info

You got a link to the opta stats please?

"I've always gone by the rule of thumb that...etc"...yeah your stuff in bold is undoubtedly true so far as I know but I'm usually trying to get a good solid amount of possession but not necessarily trying to maximise it...if I didn't have a tight defence and good possession I'd be unhappy

"I have only noticed that instead of shooting from the edge of the area or a similar position they knock it backwards/sideways and wait for the through ball"...now you mention it although they still knock it backwards from inside the area they do probably do it less...but that doesn't necessarily mean they take hasty shots more...basically my understanding of fast tempo is that I'm telling them to use the ball quickly but I'm not telling them to take a hasty shot or to get it forward quickly because usually (but not always) I'm telling them pass to feet and retain possession as part of the deal...combined with these shouts ultra-fast tempo seems to work fine although the standard of your players is bound to be a factor

I've got a team that's roughly Liverpool standard (without Suarez) and I'm narrowly top of the Prem with 10 games to go and pretty tricky fixtures compared to my challengers Man City...I'm playing 4-4-2 about 2/3 of games and 4-5-1 in the other games depending on the strength of my opponents, injuries and squad rotation issues

Concentrating on the 4-4-2 it's pretty standard but fluid (usually) and fastest possible tempo (usually)...most other stuff on default...usually a DLF + poacher, 0-1 wingers, 1-2 solid defensive midfielders...I say usually because I invariably tighten up as the game progresses...so nothing too special except lots of players who are resolute or similar...best players Shawcross, J.Evans, Willian, Leandro Damiano sort of thing

I don't feel the team is strong enough to play pretty football because I'm in a tense struggle but they knock it around nicely at times and it's fun to watch...basically I reckon the real reason I'm doing OK is the motivation, shouts and tactical adjustments during matches etc.

"make things patient"...yes that's my normal way of thinking too...so I was interested to try the time-wasting thing and tried it a while back in a different game...I didn't stick it all the way up to the top but I struggled to see that it was helping that's all...basically I wasn't getting enough total shots

without spending all afternoon explaining every idle thought in my head what I'm trying to do is (a) dominate possession say 60-40ish without being too anal about it (b) total shots 15-20...too many = low quality chances © a good percentage of shots on target compared to total shots...40% plus means I'm creating good chances (d) dominate shots on target compared to my opponents (e) dominate motivation compared to my opponents

to explain this last point...when I press, hard tackle (some players) and keep possession I find my player's motivation goes up during the game and very often my opponents collapse into partial or complete anarchy...they can't keep the ball, they can't make chances, they realise they're getting outplayed, they give up or lose discipline...I make it worse for them by going more and more defensive during the game even if I'm level (not always)...in the league I've scored about 2 goals per game and conceded 0.5...I've no doubt plenty of other people also dominate motivation and it's not all down to my system but I'm interested what people think about how I do things

against teams I should beat (this includes away games against mid-table teams)...after about 20-30 minutes if my possession percentage is too low I tighten up a little...same if I've got motivation problems (which is rare)...same if I've got 2-3 early yellows (a sign that I'm struggling in midfield) or my opponents are making chances or are well motivated...often tightening up is the trick that helps me to gain control of midfield and score

if I lose a goal I almost always stick to my normal system for at least 60 mins because I've got faith in it

sorry if this post is a bit of a dog's breakfast but any comments or suggestions from anyone would be most welcome...cheers

I do agree with most things you say in here actually. What do you have your time wasting set at? Sorry if ive missed it but cant seem to see it anywhere.

See Im tyring to implement a Swansea/Barca style passing system with Crewe Alexandra at the moment. After reading various threads I decided that they were the best passing team in and around the lower leagues so went with them. I play a pretty standard 4-1-2-2-1.

GK:Normal

DR: FB Automatic

DC: Both Central defenders defend. Looking to sign some more composed BPD at end of season

DL Wing Back Duty changes depending on opposition

DM: DLP Defend

ML: BWM Support

MR AP Attack

AML: IF Attack

AMR: Winger Support

ST: Treq/DLF Depending on who I play there opposition etc....

Thats my standard set up, most of team instructions on default, apart from crossing on drilled (most of strikers are pretty short os wont relaly challenge in the air) and high closing down to really press hard. We keep the ball brilliantly, regularly finishing games with over 60% possesion and still creating plenty of good quality chances.

I like the way you go more defensive and "tighten up" even if your still level. How do you actually implememt that? Play narrower to bring players closer together I presume. I seem to draw/lose many games from either not being able to really break weaker teams down and them scoring on the counter or not holding out a game. Be interesting to hear your theorys on that, how you stay tight but still offer quality passing going forward

You got a link to the opta stats please?

no sorry you have to pay...I subscribed to fantasy football scout so that's how I got them but if I let somebody else use my password I'd get clobbered...happy to answer questions within reason

no sorry you have to pay...I subscribed to fantasy football scout so that's how I got them but if I let somebody else use my password I'd get clobbered...happy to answer questions within reason

No worries I'll just sign up later :)

I'm currently playing as Swansea as well. I set my time wasting to 3 notches from the left, so it's set to rarely. The reason for this is so you can counter attack effectivley just like Swansea do IRL. If it's set too high then they miss good opportunities for going forward. Currently sat top of the EPL and just beat Man City 3-1. First season.

No worries I'll just sign up later :)

I'm currently playing as Swansea as well. I set my time wasting to 3 notches from the left, so it's set to rarely. The reason for this is so you can counter attack effectivley just like Swansea do IRL. If it's set too high then they miss good opportunities for going forward. Currently sat top of the EPL and just beat Man City 3-1. First season.

oh wow. Not a bad start then Cleon, pretty standard really ;) . Do you not find that when they do have the ball and not countering they tend to rush things a little more with rare time wasting?

EDIT: Do you mind me asking what formation, team instructions your playing?

oh wow. Not a bad start then Cleon, pretty standard really ;) . Do you not find that when they do have the ball and not countering they tend to rush things a little more with rare time wasting?

Not really no for the players I have. Only brought Dawson in for DC really and Jay Spearing as back up. I think I've hit the right balance between retaining the ball and attacking. I will be posting about it at some point :)

"I like the way you go more defensive and "tighten up" even if your still level. How do you actually implement that?"

any or all of these:

(a) play narrower

(b) drop deeper...usually only if I'm worried about my opponents attacking pace but sometimes to suck them out

© switch to pressing earlier in the game...normally I try to limit myself to the last 60 minutes for 2 reasons 1/ trying to avoid exhausting my players/squad 2/ I want to suck my opponents out a bit and let my attackers hang around in space a bit...having said that I always press central midfielders for 90 mins and nearly always press wingers and attackers unless they're fast

(d) switch from standard to counter...(it's very rare that I use control or attacking because even standard + match prep on attacking movement creates too many low quality chances for my liking)...often I switch off pass to feet and retain possession when I switch to counter AND I want to score...so I maybe do this when I'm level or one up...later in the game I almost always switch them back on (unless I'm losing)

(e) usually my midfield is either supp-supp-supp-att or supp-def-supp-supp...this depends on personnel available and the strength of my opponents...so I switch to the more defensive set-up if I'm using the other and I want more midfield control

basically although I've tried many formations over the years I've been on the go since CM2 and I've long experience of this type of tinkering to control midfield and create quality chances...I'm a grinder out of results so this style won't suit everyone...if I had a world-class team I'd still only score 2.5 goals per game and concede 0.5 because a goal conceded is worth much more than a goal scored imo...defeats kill morale and loss of midfield control because you're chasing the game causes those late winners that plague so many beginners...so I'll "often" shrug and play defensive late in the game when it's level...don't misunderstand me though...my win percentage is usually very high if I've got a decent squad...it's just that I do my attacking business early on in the game

Not really no for the players I have. Only brought Dawson in for DC really and Jay Spearing as back up. I think I've hit the right balance between retaining the ball and attacking. I will be posting about it at some point :)

I see, as in posting in this thread or in Sports Centre or maybe a completely new thread. Im still struggling to find that balance. Im either attacking and scoring for fun or retaining the ball brilliantly but struggling to score goals.

"I like the way you go more defensive and "tighten up" even if your still level. How do you actually implement that?"

any or all of these:

(a) play narrower

(b) drop deeper...usually only if I'm worried about my opponents attacking pace but sometimes to suck them out

© switch to pressing earlier in the game...normally I try to limit myself to the last 60 minutes for 2 reasons 1/ trying to avoid exhausting my players/squad 2/ I want to suck my opponents out a bit and let my attackers hang around in space a bit...having said that I always press central midfielders for 90 mins and nearly always press wingers and attackers unless they're fast

(d) switch from standard to counter...(it's very rare that I use control or attacking because even standard + match prep on attacking movement creates too many low quality chances for my liking)...often I switch off pass to feet and retain possession when I switch to counter AND I want to score...so I maybe do this when I'm level or one up...later in the game I almost always switch them back on (unless I'm losing)

(e) usually my midfield is either supp-supp-supp-att or supp-def-supp-supp...this depends on personnel available and the strength of my opponents...so I switch to the more defensive set-up if I'm using the other and I want more midfield control

basically although I've tried many formations over the years I've been on the go since CM2 and I've long experience of this type of tinkering to control midfield and create quality chances...I'm a grinder out of results so this style won't suit everyone...if I had a world-class team I'd still only score 2.5 goals per game and concede 0.5 because a goal conceded is worth much more than a goal scored imo...defeats kill morale and loss of midfield control because you're chasing the game causes those late winners that plague so many beginners...so I'll "often" shrug and play defensive late in the game when it's level...don't misunderstand me though...my win percentage is usually very high if I've got a decent squad...it's just that I do my attacking business early on in the game

Very interesting that and idea I may have to steal. Pretty much start the game at full pelt and then tighten up and hold it together once you feel comfortable. I hate conceding late goals and I, like you, believe the midfield is the key to winning games. Ill try this in my current save and see how I manage.

Do you not find though that going to counter attacking against weaker opposition is sort of a step backwards as they are probably sitting back and not throwing many men forward anyway. personally against weaker teams I tend to try and play wider and really spread the play about

Sorry for the double post didnt see Dribblers reply untill after id replied to Cleon

I see, as in posting in this thread or in Sports Centre or maybe a completely new thread. Im still struggling to find that balance. Im either attacking and scoring for fun or retaining the ball brilliantly but struggling to score goals.

Maybe a new thread. I don't play that different to you really.

Apart from your top of the league with Swansea :p

How do you mean?

The shape and settings we use, morealess same except I use a DMC defend, my MRC is DLP and the other MC is just a normal MC on automatic.

"I seem to draw/lose many games from...not holding out a game"

I've already hinted at my system already without spelling it out...I go more and more defensive as the game goes on...I like to make relatively subtle changes several times...late in the game I'll go ultra defensive even if I'm 3-0 up...who want's to lose a goal after 80 mins and give them a chance? Year after year they change the game, they bring in 3D players, fancy new tactics, patch after patch but for 12 years now they can't break me down late on :D

If I start 4-4-2 against a team I'm trying to beat I'll still sometimes go counter and start sticking in defensive shouts as early as the 20th minute. This early would be unusual and the other extreme is to play on standard for 60 mins. Most games I'll go counter at 30-45 mins. That's what I explained above really. Basically you need enough high quality chances in the first 60 minutes to get at least one goal and you need to concentrate on not making mistakes, checking possession and motivation regularly. I do it every 10 minutes.

My decisions will also depend on the success or otherwise of my team talks and I work hard not to get complacent.

Usually at about 75 minutes I'm already on counter, default tempo and a big load of defensive shouts and generally cautious player instructions. Perhaps I've switched to 4-1-4-1 or my fancy 4-5-1 where I pull back my DLF and DM deeper. Perhaps an anchor man.

I think it's important not to go too defensive too early because you "need" to confuse your opponents by changing things several times...probably this is bull but it's how I think anyway.

At 75-80 I hit the defensive button and maybe clear ball to flanks if that's not already on because I'm up against a narrow fornmation.

At 82-84 I go contain and play even safer.

If I'm level at 80 mins I'm 99% certain to go ultra-defensive anyway.

(For the avoidance of doubt I don't shut up shop just because I score one goal...it's all about midfield control and game circumstances)

The shape and settings we use, morealess same except I use a DMC defend, my MRC is DLP and the other MC is just a normal MC on automatic.

yeah maybe so, apart from the fact you win stuff. Will be very interesting to see your thread on a topic like possesion and ball retention with Swansea, so many people post threads asking about it. I look forward too it.

"Do you not find though that going to counter attacking against weaker opposition is sort of a step backwards as they are probably sitting back and not throwing many men forward anyway"

you're right of course but the pertinent point is that I only do this if I'm unhappy with midfield control...I might do it for 10-15 mins and then go back to standard when possession is up or after a "serious chat" at half-time

midfield control + patience = quality shots on target

yeah maybe so, apart from the fact you win stuff. Will be very interesting to see your thread on a topic like possesion and ball retention with Swansea, so many people post threads asking about it. I look forward too it.

That is true but that's due to me been able to get a result 99% of the time even when behind. Did you see the game I wrote up where I went 3-0 down and came back to win 3-5? Might be worth a read as it might get you thinking a bit more about what to do when things aren't going your way.

Tomtuck was the reason I started a Swansea game due to following his thread, it inspired me. I should have something up by the end of the week :)

This sounds pretty good. I started a new save to try and try some tactics out and didnt have success so always looking to play better football. This looks good might give it a go. Anyway of uploading whats you have created so far?

That is true but that's due to me been able to get a result 99% of the time even when behind. Did you see the game I wrote up where I went 3-0 down and came back to win 3-5? Might be worth a read as it might get you thinking a bit more about what to do when things aren't going your way.

Tomtuck was the reason I started a Swansea game due to following his thread, it inspired me. I should have something up by the end of the week :)

Is that in the Sports Center thread? Ive not had a read through it in a while. You cant by chance rememeber the post number :p or am I asking too much now. I look forward to reading it :)

If I was playing Crewe or in the lower leagues I'd do a lot less pressing

how hard do you typically set your training workload if you have a strong team/squad in the Prem?...(anyone)

Usually start training pretty high then as it gets to the "business" end of the season I lower it a bit as the players are getting tired. Keep them at high conditioning.

On thepoint of how you tackle games, I tried it last night in the JPT Semi Final against Bradford I think it was. I was billed huge underdogs so I started as I would start every game, went 1-0 up to a massive amount of luck. They quickly equalised in around the 25th minute. So I tightened up retain possesion exploit the flanks (that was where I was creating most things) and see how it went. Was 2-1 up at half time, the changes had worked a treat. At half time I switched to counter lowered time wasting to rarely. Game finished 4-1, will keep experimenting see if things keep improving :)

Is that in the Sports Center thread? Ive not had a read through it in a while. You cant by chance rememeber the post number :p or am I asking too much now. I look forward to reading it :)

It's the last things I posted if you ignore the last reply in the thread :)

I promise you it works at least decently well Jimbob but I think half a season is a sensible length of experiment for something you're unfamiliar with...you need to tailor it to your own players as part of the deal of course...(thanks for the training answer)

drevil I wasn't sure if you were speaking to me or Cleon...and if me I have little clue how to do technical things so you can't download...but I told you a great deal of what I do in those posts...and see above because you need to think things through for your own players and make your own adjustments...it's a case of getting your own system going, grinding out wins and getting the confidence of your players

I promise you it works at least decently well Jimbob but I think half a season is a sensible length of experiment for something you're unfamiliar with...you need to tailor it to your own players as part of the deal of course...(thanks for the training answer)

drevil I wasn't sure if you were speaking to me or Cleon...and if me I have little clue how to do technical things so you can't download...but I told you a great deal of what I do in those posts...and see above because you need to think things through for your own players and make your own adjustments...it's a case of getting your own system going, grinding out wins and getting the confidence of your players

Yeah obviously, although I think the players I have or similar to Swanseas, obviously just with lower all round attributes. Ill keep experimenting and see what I can make from it. Will tell me a lot when I get on it tonight, got a nasty cup tie against Sheff Wednesday who are topping League 1. Not sure how I am going to approach this, probably start on the counter and try to nick a lucky goal.

Out of interest again how do you setup against far superior teams?

I swallow hard and hope they play their reserves...take pressure off my team and heap it onto them in the press conferences...tell them no pressure etc

defensive match prep...counter for the whole game with lots of defensive shouts...but don't get too precious about possession so if I have 2 strikers I play more direct...surprisingly often you can do well with possession though...I think this is because your team is trying and their players are just not bothered

if they can't score they might get nervous and you can often nick a goal somehow...if they score I normally do my usual thing...nothing until late in the game

I like making sneaky tactical changes like swopping my strikers round especially if one is faster than the other...can sometimes work with a poacher anyway

I swallow hard and hope they play their reserves...take pressure off my team and heap it onto them in the press conferences...tell them no pressure etc

defensive match prep...counter for the whole game with lots of defensive shouts...but don't get too precious about possession so if I have 2 strikers I play more direct...surprisingly often you can do well with possession though...I think this is because your team is trying and their players are just not bothered

if they can't score they might get nervous and you can often nick a goal somehow...if they score I normally do my usual thing...nothing until late in the game

I like making sneaky tactical changes like swopping my strikers round especially if one is faster than the other...can sometimes work with a poacher anyway

Got beat 2-1. Started off playing my normal game trying to move it around and it was sort of working but they were getting a lot of space just infront of my backline. Switched to my 4-2-3-1 backup tactic to try and limit the spacce they have in that area. Switched to counter and upped the tempo a bit. Also put on exploit the flanks to try and use my two young wingers who were arguably my best two players. Aged 17 & 18 might I add. Checked there Striker and he wasnt particularly fast so pushed DLine up a bit to try and limit the space. Ended up going 1-0 up through my young winger taking a man on and whipping a ball in for young Max Clayton to place home. Went in 1-0 up at the break. Started second half pretty much the same, got to 60th min and went a bit narrower to really limit the space and try to see the game out. Then they started to really outclass me, could see they were the better team, got two quickfire goals and then that was it under the Cosh for the last 20 min or so. Was Very happy with the performance although we did get beat.

Anybody have any idea how to get the best out of Danny Graham? I've got a 4-5-1 and everything seems to work fine except Graham, he doesn't seem to get or creat many chances. I've played him as DLF and AF, neither seems to work very well.

Anybody have any idea how to get the best out of Danny Graham? I've got a 4-5-1 and everything seems to work fine except Graham, he doesn't seem to get or creat many chances. I've played him as DLF and AF, neither seems to work very well.

Have you watched any games to see exactly why he's not involved? That will tell you more than anyone on here can :)

Have you watched any games to see exactly why he's not involved? That will tell you more than anyone on here can :)

Yeh I've taken your advice and now I watch the first 20 minutes of my games and adapt from there. He seems to receive the ball quite deep and then play it back, which is kind of what i want, but he doesn.t really have the passing or creativity to turn and make passes to Dyer or Sinclair. So I think I'd rather him lay it off to Sigurdsson or Allen and let them play then get into the box. In short he doesn't seem to be in the box enough. And lacks pace to latch onto any through balls.

Also I seem to concede alot of goals from corners and free kicks, was 2-0 up against Man City then conceded 2 from corners :mad:.

jimbob..."got to 60th min and went a bit narrower to really limit the space and try to see the game out"...I'd have gone way more defensive and probably earlier too as per previous posts

do you remember what your possession was like at different stages of the game?

what about total shots and your shots on target percentage?

what about your shots on target v's theirs?

what happened with motivation?

it's also worth noting this isn't really a small team v's strong team system...it's a system for scoring first and turning leads into wins against opponents who are similar strength or weaker

jimbob..."got to 60th min and went a bit narrower to really limit the space and try to see the game out"...I'd have gone way more defensive and probably earlier too as per previous posts

do you remember what your possession was like at different stages of the game?

what about total shots and your shots on target percentage?

what about your shots on target v's theirs?

what happened with motivation?

it's also worth noting this isn't really a small team v's strong team system...it's a system for scoring first and turning leads into wins against opponents who are similar strength or weaker

Off the top of my head I have no idea :/ could check when I get home. half time Motivation was good all playing confidence and the half time team talk I went for playing well keep it up assertively. Didnt want to warn against complancency because they were playing really well.

I didnt go too defensive too early because we wernt playing too badly and I didnt want to invite them onto me because they were the "better" side.

"Also I seem to concede alot of goals from corners and free kicks, was 2-0 up against Man City then conceded 2 from corners"...well sometimes **** just happens

free-kicks...5*man marking and 5*wall...(avoid the stay back instruction which is just pants)

corners...1*forward (fast), 1*edge (creative), 1*close down (small), 1 good marker on each post and the other 5 marking tall, man marking or just back if they can't mark too well

and don't forget to wiggle instructions for each substitution you make...no slacking :lol:

Off the top of my head I have no idea :/ could check when I get home. half time Motivation was good all playing confidence and the half time team talk I went for playing well keep it up assertively. Didnt want to warn against complancency because they were playing really well.

I didnt go too defensive too early because we wernt playing too badly and I didnt want to invite them onto me because they were the "better" side.

I reckon you should have shown them more respect because they were a tough team for you

I reckon you should have shown them more respect because they were a tough team for you

Yeah maybe so, probably a little over confident. Oh well can concentrate on the league now and Im in the final of Johnstone Paint Trophy North so not all bad. Do you not show every team a lot of respect though ;) Are you Italian?

EDIT:Btw ive just realised the guy who started this thread has not commented on it since. bit random

OK just got back in...when I started all this I had no idea I was going to explain my system so I don't think I did it in a structured way:

(a) my objective is to get a high win percentage...to squeeze the most out of my team whatever league I'm in, big club or small club...I want a tight defence so I can avoid having to chase the game...I'm nowhere near the tactical expert that some other people on here are so my strategy is to avoid this situation as much as possible...it's self-evident though that I need to score some goals

(b) to achieve these objectives I want to dominate "clear-cut chances" compared to my opponent...but there tend not to be too many clear-cut chances and it's unclear how SI measure them so they're not an especially useful thing to look at during the game

© because of this I've replaced clear-cut chances with shots on target in my thinking (to be more accurate I've never looked at clear-cut chances)...I want to dominate shots on target compared to my opponent AND I want to make sure that these shots on target are good quality shots that threaten to score goals rather than easy catching practice for the opposition keeper

(d) so the first bit is easy...every 10 minutes I look at my shots on target and my opponents shots on target and decide whether or not I'm winning this battle...I only watch the highlights...if my opponents have had a couple of good chances (whether on target or not) I consider tightening up

(e) to get some sort of idea of whether I'm making good quality chances I'm also looking at my shots on target compared to my total shots...I explained this above, 6-8 shots on target against 15-20 total shots...it's my theory that 40% shots on target means you're making good quality chances...if you're getting more total shots than this you're taking too many chances at the back...you don't need more than 15-20 shots to score 2-3 goals...in fact it's unusual for me to be at the top end of this range

(f) if you have a weak team you'll do worse than if you have a strong team...these are the sort of stats I look for in a team that's good enough to win the league

(g) to get promotion the only things that really matter are points and avoiding exhausting your players...goals are the statistic that leads to points...shots are the statistic that leads to goals and up to a point you can look at shots during the game...but shots aren't necessarily evenly spread out during the game and they're going to vary from game to game so the tool I use to try to get my shots right is possession...that's because you can look at possession every 10 minutes and draw some sort of reasonable conclusion how your team is playing

(h) it's my theory that if you have the ball your opponents can't score and if you pass the ball around patiently you'll make better chances...it's just that you can't take this to an extreme...if you're over-patient you won't make enough chances...I'm trying to score above 2 goals per game and concede 0.5...you're very unlikely to get promoted with 1.5 goals per game (again i'm talking about a strongish team so i'm not interested in the play-offs)

(i) the possession percentage you look for will depend on your tactics and whether or not you have a strong team in your league...you need to get used to a reasonable percentage for your team and your tactics...the weaker your team is the less you want to worry about possession and the more you want to play direct-style and get it forward

(h) to reinforce my decision I also look at motivation (for both teams)...every 10 minutes I count whether i'm winning or losing "the battle of motivation"...if i'm struggling I tend to tighten up...if my opponents are unusually well motivated I consider tightening up

(if my team are nervous or complacent I tighten up at least until half-time...this should be rare once you've bought 10 of your own players and you're motivating them well...if I have undisciplined players I shift from hard to normal tackling at least for those players but I normally only do this for 10-15 minutes)

so what I think you should do is look at the stats from your last 6 league games and start calculating averages...your team shots on target...your opponents shots on target...your team shots on target percentage...possession percentage

then decide whether or not you're happy with these, start making the sort of tactical adjustments I'm suggesting during games and then recalculate for the next 6 league games...(I bet you can improve things!)

finally it's worth noting that once you get used to this system, or your own version of it, it only takes a few seconds to glance at the stats

hopefully that explained it better for anyone interested

OK just got back in...when I started all this I had no idea I was going to explain my system so I don't think I did it in a structured way:

(a) my objective is to get a high win percentage...to squeeze the most out of my team whatever league I'm in, big club or small club...I want a tight defence so I can avoid having to chase the game...I'm nowhere near the tactical expert that some other people on here are so my strategy is to avoid this situation as much as possible...it's self-evident though that I need to score some goals

(b) to achieve these objectives I want to dominate "clear-cut chances" compared to my opponent...but there tend not to be too many clear-cut chances and it's unclear how SI measure them so they're not an especially useful thing to look at during the game

© because of this I've replaced clear-cut chances with shots on target in my thinking (to be more accurate I've never looked at clear-cut chances)...I want to dominate shots on target compared to my opponent AND I want to make sure that these shots on target are good quality shots that threaten to score goals rather than easy catching practice for the opposition keeper

(d) so the first bit is easy...every 10 minutes I look at my shots on target and my opponents shots on target and decide whether or not I'm winning this battle...I only watch the highlights...if my opponents have had a couple of good chances (whether on target or not) I consider tightening up

(e) to get some sort of idea of whether I'm making good quality chances I'm also looking at my shots on target compared to my total shots...I explained this above, 6-8 shots on target against 15-20 total shots...it's my theory that 40% shots on target means you're making good quality chances...if you're getting more total shots than this you're taking too many chances at the back...you don't need more than 15-20 shots to score 2-3 goals...in fact it's unusual for me to be at the top end of this range

(f) if you have a weak team you'll do worse than if you have a strong team...these are the sort of stats I look for in a team that's good enough to win the league

(g) to get promotion the only things that really matter are points and avoiding exhausting your players...goals are the statistic that leads to points...shots are the statistic that leads to goals and up to a point you can look at shots during the game...but shots aren't necessarily evenly spread out during the game and they're going to vary from game to game so the tool I use to try to get my shots right is possession...that's because you can look at possession every 10 minutes and draw some sort of reasonable conclusion how your team is playing

(h) it's my theory that if you have the ball your opponents can't score and if you pass the ball around patiently you'll make better chances...it's just that you can't take this to an extreme...if you're over-patient you won't make enough chances...I'm trying to score above 2 goals per game and concede 0.5...you're very unlikely to get promoted with 1.5 goals per game (again i'm talking about a strongish team so i'm not interested in the play-offs)

(i) the possession percentage you look for will depend on your tactics and whether or not you have a strong team in your league...you need to get used to a reasonable percentage for your team and your tactics...the weaker your team is the less you want to worry about possession and the more you want to play direct-style and get it forward

(h) to reinforce my decision I also look at motivation (for both teams)...every 10 minutes I count whether i'm winning or losing "the battle of motivation"...if i'm struggling I tend to tighten up...if my opponents are unusually well motivated I consider tightening up

(if my team are nervous or complacent I tighten up at least until half-time...this should be rare once you've bought 10 of your own players and you're motivating them well...if I have undisciplined players I shift from hard to normal tackling at least for those players but I normally only do this for 10-15 minutes)

so what I think you should do is look at the stats from your last 6 league games and start calculating averages...your team shots on target...your opponents shots on target...your team shots on target percentage...possession percentage

then decide whether or not you're happy with these, start making the sort of tactical adjustments I'm suggesting during games and then recalculate for the next 6 league games...(I bet you can improve things!)

finally it's worth noting that once you get used to this system, or your own version of it, it only takes a few seconds to glance at the stats

hopefully that explained it better for anyone interested

Very well explained and a very good way to tackle the game IMO. Im a sucker for open attacking football though, Id much rather have a 5-3 thriller than a 1-0 win. But I may start to look into your way of playing a bit more, Bilbao are my team to emulate at the moment. Superb technical football, high tempo high passing but still relatively tight at the back (maybe not in La Liga at the moment but hey) been following the Biesla thread in this forum and am going to try and implement that, although maybe not in the EPL.

The way you approach matches though is very interesting and it is something I am going to look into trying to do. I think in this FM it is very difficult to make a high tempo high pressing tactic like Biesla uses, and easier to be patient and defnesively sound.

and yes I do agree CCC's are very broken

How to turn Crewe Alexandra into the new Bilbao in one easy lesson:

win games, get promoted, make money, buy better players, rinse and repeat :lol:

"Id much rather have a 5-3 thriller than a 1-0 win"...nonsense...the real fun is building a world-class team, winning matches and playing great football...first you have to get that team together though :p

I don't see why you can't adapt my system to attacking football up to a point...it's just a case of deciding how many goals per game you're willing to concede and how many you need to score to get the points

CCC's aren't broken there just named wrong that's all. Change the name to something different and it'll work as intended. CCC's are not clear cut chances at all in terms of the ME.

"But I may start to look into your way of playing a bit more, Bilbao are my team to emulate at the moment. Superb technical football, high tempo high passing but still relatively tight at the back"..."I think in this FM it is very difficult to make a high tempo high pressing tactic like Biesla uses, and easier to be patient and defensively sound"

I haven't read that thread so I'll have a peep but I'd just like to point out that I'm playing highest possible tempo, high emphasis on pressing and passing and ultra-tight at the back...so I'm a bit confused by your last post

I'm playing with a strongish team at the moment but my stats are Pld 111 W 91 D 9 L 11 F 266 A 61...so what are you aiming for?

How to turn Crewe Alexandra into the new Bilbao in one easy lesson:

win games, get promoted, make money, buy better players, rinse and repeat :lol:

"Id much rather have a 5-3 thriller than a 1-0 win"...nonsense...the real fun is building a world-class team, winning matches and playing great football...first you have to get that team together though :p

I don't see why you can't adapt my system to attacking football up to a point...it's just a case of deciding how many goals per game you're willing to concede and how many you need to score to get the points

Ill just play as City saves the whole effort of making money ;). yeah I do agree I just like to implement my style on to the team striaght away.

CCC's aren't broken there just named wrong that's all. Change the name to something different and it'll work as intended. CCC's are not clear cut chances at all in terms of the ME.

yeah maybe so, it does need changing though. Dont understand how you can score without a clear cut chance.

"But I may start to look into your way of playing a bit more, Bilbao are my team to emulate at the moment. Superb technical football, high tempo high passing but still relatively tight at the back"..."I think in this FM it is very difficult to make a high tempo high pressing tactic like Biesla uses, and easier to be patient and defensively sound"

I haven't read that thread so I'll have a peep but I'd just like to point out that I'm playing highest possible tempo, high emphasis on pressing and passing and ultra-tight at the back...so I'm a bit confused by your last post

I'm playing with a strongish team at the moment but my stats are Pld 111 W 91 D 9 L 11 F 266 A 61...so what are you aiming for?

That record, style, goals scored etc is exactly what I aim for :p

yeah for my part i'm just saying they are too infrequent for me to use them as a guide during matches

Archived