FM10: Official Ipswich Town Thread - Suffolk pride

Prongsie92

@Sammie B: All defenders are set to Defend, all midfielders set to Support and all attackers set to Attack.

Just entered the 13/14 season. Came second place to Man City in the League, won the FA and League Cup, got knocked out of the Champions League during the Semi-Finals (to Barcelona...grr) and got offered the England job (had to accept that!).

I've diverted from my normal habits of buying quality players aged 25-27 and/or golden oldies to get them as staff in favor of my now-sprouted-potential-legends Academy youths. Had to sell a few players to even my sides out but things are looking positive.

Season 12/13

Players in

Nemanja Vidic - 8.25m

Wayne Rooney - 32m (I love teams that are bankrupt :D)

Jonathon Spector - 5.25,

Freddy Adu - Loan

Stephen Bywater - Free

Danny Lee (regen) - Free

Jack Ainsley - 16k

John Kennedy - 2.5k

Erkan Okay - 28k

Sammy Moore - 25k

Barroso (regen) - 5.25m

Angel Cabellero (regen) - 8.25m

Dodo - 4.5m

Players out

Matteo Poziello (regen) - 32m

Gareth McAuley - Free

Roland Juhasz - 8.25m

Brian Murphy - 5m

Tom Heaton - 4m

Jonathan Spector - 9m

Tommy Spurr - 10m

Ivan Fatic - 14m

Michael Johnson - 24m

Bunch of useless youth players - Free

Season 13/14

Players in

Luke Hills (regen) - 24.5m

Players out

Tal Ben-Haim - 5.25m

Fabian Brendy - 3m

Valeri Bojinov - 9m

Bunch of useless youth players - Free

Hart is simply fantastic. By far the best player I've bought and always churning out performances around 7.4. He's become a must-buy for all future FM10 games now.

Frazier Campbell is a good striker if looking for someone on the cheap. Despite his stats, with some average wingers, he keeps booting them in all competitions as a Complete Forward. I'm fairly sure you can pick him up for around 7m in the first three seasons, depending on where he is.

Jay Rodriguez might be worth a punt - becomes an excellent Poacher later on if given the games to develop.

I always use counter - haven't adjusted the settings in 2 seasons and it seems to be working wonders. If I'm drawing or got a good lead (say, 2-4 goals more than the opponent) I'll switch to attacking and throw some younger players on to blood them in a game I've already won.

If I recall correctly, the last time I used Control was in the 10/11 season near the end of the season to grasp onto draws against the bigger clubs.

Started my first new game as Ipswich manager after reading some of the recommendations of this thread. First off all I got rid of Kiwoyma, Nash, Loughlan, and McParland, then made Bryan Klug my ass man and hired McGuiness, Mulvey and Whelan from Man Utd. Player wise I've brought in Nicky Shorey and Asmir Begovic on loan and got Mark Viduka on a free and brought Freddy Guarin for £1.1m and Daniel Opare for £300k with Liam Trotter going to Coventry (£500K) and Jamie Peters going to Crystal Palace (£150k). Just finished all my friendlies with Ipswich and this is how its gone so far:

Hereford (A) 1-4

Crewe (A) 1-2

Hearts (H) 4-0

Dunfermline (A) 0-4

GH Academy (H) 5-0

Ballymena (A) 0-9

Glenavon (A) 0-8

So as you can see unbeaten so far, fair enough not against the greatest of teams but still unbeaten with Viduka scoring 7 in 4 apps, Priskin 10 in 8 apps and Stead 4 in 5 with some healthy contributions from all my midfielders. So hopefully all bodes well for my upcoming season :)

Well I've just completed my first seven games of the season and they've gone like this:

Coventry (A) 0-3

Walsall LC (H) 4-1

Leicester (H) 3-0

Crystal Palace (H) 3-2

West Brom (A) 2-3

Brentford LC (A) 1-4

Preston (H) 2-0

So as you can see all is going rather well. Sitting at the top of the table and through to the 3rd round of the league cup where I have got Sheff Wed. SO lets hope I can keep it going :)

The next few results went like this:

Middlesboro (A) - 2-2

Nottm Forest (H) - 3-0

Doncaster (A) 1-3

Sheff Wed LC (H) 2-1

Mark Viduka was on fire with 8 goals in 8 apps but then has gone and got him a hamstring injury for 2-3 months so hopefully Steady & Priskin can keep banging them in.

Prongsie92 I'm using Knap tactics which uses 4-4-2 formation and I'm also using Tugs training. These both can be found in the Tactics forum. Hope this helps :)

Well just into November and the results still keep coming:

Sheff Utd (A) 1-4

Barnsley (A) 2-4

Newcastle (H) 1-0

Swansea (H) 3-3

Watford (H) 3-3

Plymouth (A) 1-3

West Ham LC (H) 2-1

Derby (H) 2-0

With Viduka still injured Priskin (9) & Steady (10) are are doing the business for me and Nickey Shorey has surprisingly chipped in with 6 goals as well. So everything is still rosy :)

The next few results went like this:

Middlesboro (A) - 2-2

Nottm Forest (H) - 3-0

Doncaster (A) 1-3

Sheff Wed LC (H) 2-1

Mark Viduka was on fire with 8 goals in 8 apps but then has gone and got him a hamstring injury for 2-3 months so hopefully Steady & Priskin can keep banging them in.

Prongsie92 I'm using Knap tactics which uses 4-4-2 formation and I'm also using Tugs training. These both can be found in the Tactics forum. Hope this helps :)

Any tweaks on the tactic?

Yeah tactic is like FM09 and I had the same results with it as well.

The left hand striker needs to be your fast striker ie good pace, acceleration and of course finishing and the right hand needs to be your strong striker that hold up the ball so they need good strength, stamina and again good finishing. Hope this help Sammie B.

I've now reached middle of December and I'm still top of the league P22 W16 D4 L2. My 2 losses were against Bristol City who are 2nd in the league and Scunthorpe who were bottom could belive I lost 2-0 but hey ho these things happen. I'm also through to the Carling Cup semi final as I beat Bolton 7-6 on pens after drawing with them 0-0. Priskin and Steady are still scoring for me with 11 and 13 goals respectively but my star player who has kept me in loads of games is my loan keep Asmir Begovic. I am still pondering whether to make a bid to keep him permantley :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well I won the Championship in my first season. Priskin getting 19 goals and Stead getting 23 with Viduka chipping in with 12. I'm now on the lookout for another top class striker as I'm not too sure PRiskin & Stead can cut the mustard in the EPL but I've sold Viduka to Atlanta for £400k. Also I'm trying to get Kakuta from Chelsea and Coloccini & Steven Taylor from Newcastle. I've been given a £19m budget for mid table safety so fingers crossed with the right signings I should be OK.

Well 2 friendlies into pre season beat GH Acadamy 4-0 and then lost 3-1 to Aberdeen. I was winning against Aberdeen and the Priskin goes and gets himself sent off and then nothing went my way whatever I did. Anyway my pre season signings include getting Nelson Rivas and Liam Rosenior on free transfers, Asmir Begovic for £3.2m, Horava £170k, Daniel Sturridge for £8.25m. Bojinov for £2.5m and Dossena for £2.5m so not too bad I think but we will have to wait and see.

• 5 weeks later...

My Ipswich team, start of 3rd season (2011-2012), second season in Premiership:

GK: Joe Hart (£3 mil signing from Man City)

DL: Urby Emanuelsson (Free from Ajax)

DR: John O'Shea (£3,4 mil from Man Utd)

DC: Botía (£275k from Barcelona B)

DC: Gary Cahill (£4 mil from Man Utd)

MC: Sergio Almiron (Free from Juventus)

MC: Jermaine Jenas (£6 mil from Tottenham)

AML: Gonzalo Castro (£4,3 mil from Mallorca)

AMR: Anouar Diba (£2,4 mil)

FC: Tamas Priskin (surprisingly good still)

FC: Kikin Fonseca (captain)

Subs include: Richard Wright, Michael Owen, Julien Faubert, Alan Quinn, Owen Garvan & Pablo Counago

First season, I managed to get promoted through a 2nd place finish.

Second season, I finished just 5 places above the relegation zone, but got through to the semifinals in the league cup.

Third season (current) 2nd place with 7 points from 3 games.

• 1 month later...

I've started a new game with Ipswich on fm10:

Team:

GK R Wright

DR D Wright

DL J Lloyd Samuel (Loan from Bolton)

DC Delaney

DC Lewandowski (£1.8m from Shaktar)

MC Gaarde (£325k - great stats for a 34 yo)

MC Leadbitter

AMR Peters

AML Kakuta (Loan from chelsea)

FC Matondo (£1.1m - strong runner and good finisher , 6 in 9 so far)

currently 4th after 15 games, really enjoying playing this , 09 became a bit boring in all fairness to it, i went back to 08 for a while. screenshots to follow.

• 2 weeks later...

Started a new game with the newest patch3.0 got promoted at the first attempt finished second behind newcastle now about to start my first season in the premiership but cant get any decent players to come to me some recommendations would be much appreciated especially some full backs and some strikers as im playing 3 up front

• 2 weeks later...

I've started again on a different computer halfway through the season and top of the league

the one player you have to get on loan is Dan Sturridge from chelsea

my team doesnt look like losing

this is my team

GK:B .Murphy

DR:D .Wright

DL:D .Delaney

DC:T .Brown

DC:M .Killgallon

MC:O .Garvan

MC:G .Leadbitter

LW:L .Martin

RW:C .Edwards

CF:C .Wickham

CF:D .Sturridge the d's in the namesare messed up

• 3 months later...

I've just started with Ipswich with the newest patch and its a lot different to the first release of the game. The majority of players that you have brought on free transfers are already snapped up, I believe there is also less money which is annoying, but hey i'll carry on.

• 3 months later...

I have been playing as my beloved Town for a few seasons now and have been striving to make a real 'local' club. First season I cruised the Championship, something I was surprised by as I always struggled first season in past games. Straight up to the prem and I finished 15th then 12th. Currently nearing the end of third season in the prem and aiming to finish 7th. Below is my squad, as I said, trying to keep it as local as possible.

GK

Joe Lewis - Ex Norwich I know, but born and raised down the road in Bury St Edmunds. Initially bought in to deputise for Fulop but took his chance and kept it.

Richard Wright - Signed for free as backup to Lewis as Fulop wasn't happy with that role. Ipswich born and third spell at the club.

DR

Greg Halford - Colchester United youth product can play RB and MR. Solid.

Michael Langford - Youth product born in Suffolk

DL

Tom Bender - Another Colchester youth, stepped up to first team well.

Johnny Herd - bought in as LB ioption from Southend.

DC

Tom Eastman - First choice CB, class player. Ipswich academy born in Clacton.

Tommy Smith - NZ international come through the Ipswich academy

Michael Morrison - Ex Cambridge bought from Leicester, born in Haverhill.

MR

Ronan Murray - another Town academy player

ML

Luciano Civelli - still hanging in from original squad

Kevin Bolle - 16 year old academy product straight in the first team squad

MC

Luke Hyam - Ipswich born youth product, excellent midfielder

Billy Clark - first choice playmaker, Ipswich product

Liam Trotter - Town born player, brought back from Millwall

ST

Jordan Rhodes - Academy product brought back from Huddersfield

Darren Bent - 11m summer signing from Sunderland, Ipswich youth graduate