Mind the gap? (defense & midfield)

Sorry if this has been covered, I've tried searching for an answer but to no avail. Due to moving countries I was without my FM for some time and have only this week started playing. Every formation I have played so far has resulted in the assistant telling me "the gap between defense and midfield is far too big" or some such. I've tried a number of options, even pushing my defensive line up the field so the slider is further forward than my mentality and creative freedom. I've got my DCs closing down "own half" a DMC, MCs that only have mixed forward runs. I'm even toying with the idea of telling my DCs to make forward runs, I might be missing something obvious here and again if it's already been covered apologies. I am stumped!

I will get round to reading wwfan's TT&F's, I've been reading his threads since 2004, legend. But until then...

Thanks guys, I have always had DC's and DMC's on about 4-ish and the rest of the team as high as 15-17. I guess that's just a bad habit I'll have to break! So moving forward is it better to have no more than say 5 "notches" of difference in mentality? That kind of makes sense I suppose, you want the team to all be on the same wavelength even if things like closing down and forward runs are different. Looking forward to getting a new tactic together now, I need to re-think my 4-1-4-1.

I think TTF recomends no more than 8 notches difference in mentality between your most defensive and your most attacking player - its not necissarily gospel but its a good starting point.

Are you still winning matches?

If you are doing fine, but there is this gap, don't worry.

However, if you aren't doing well, then you should definitely look into it. Obviously. ;)

I was doing ok but not great, it didn't always look like much of a gap on the 2d but there were times the 2 DCs looked a little stranded on the halfway line. On the other hand, how far up the pitch do I want my DC's to go? If we're on the attack should they move into the opposition half? That means the opposition CF's could wait on the halfway line and not be offside.

Archived