Closing Up Shop - Or How I Learned To Hate The Long Shot.

A little backstory before my whine. On my current save, I've been using the same formation (433) more or less since day one. After reading the tactical works by Cleon and TheGame, I ditched trawling for uber-tactics and trying to "Continue" my way to trophies, in favour of playing FM properly and hopefully actually learning how the matceh engine works. So I took the time to try to develop my formations to suit my needs, and on the whole, it's not been too bad. Frustrating at first while I learned what affected what, but overal, worth it.

Ten years into this save and things are starting to come a little unstuck. While I think I have most things covered in attack and defence. It's not very often where I fail to score in a game.The main problem is my susceptibility to long shots from outside the area. I play with a DM and I've tried to use him to mark men hanging around the area, but he doesn't seem to be picking anyone up, or if he does, it's generally someone who's already marked. The DM has zonal marking and generally tight marking unless the oppo player has the ability (First Touch) to skin him.

Any help anyone can give to help stop the free man lurking otside the area would be much appreciated.

You could always make your Wingers(assuming you have wingers), trail back and close down on the 'lurkers'...

By doing that, they would rob possession, and start a Counter straight away, hopefully.

Reduce their Attacking mentality, increase their closing down(Whole Pitch. Not the maximum, but near it).

And, although I have no experience with this, under Opposition Instructions, you could try 'Close Down Always', once you identify the lurkers...

Just suggestions. Hope I help. =)

I changed the DCs and the DMC to man marking and it seems to have tightened it up a bit. This and the increasd Closing Down seems to have reduced the Long Shots to speculative efforts at best. Still had a few crack the crossbar in the last couple of games though.

I've played a few more games since my last post and have started to concede 30 yard screamers again. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining that I should never condede these; I don't even mind conceding them, it's just the fact that I'm allowing the space for them to be scored despite everything I've tried that grates .

It's frustrating. I think it's more frustrating that I don't understand how the game works.

Archived