The Unbeaten Run – Tale Of A "Fair Weather" Fan

Spav

Nobody likes to see their team get beaten. Ideally one’s team would go through the season unbeaten on its way to picking up the championship. Of course, the majority of fans would put up with the odd defeat or two if it meant watching their team go on to take the league title at the end of the season.

But what if you couldn’t stomach those defeats? What if you instead shifted your allegiance to the victor of the match you had just witnessed and followed that team instead? And you followed that pattern over and over again. You would have become the ultimate “fair weather†fan – a supporter who only follows his team in the good times and deserts them when things are bad.

I am going to become that ultimate “fair weather†fan for the duration of the 2004/05 English Premier League season. I will pick a team to start off the season and I will stay with them as long as they do not lose a match. As soon as my team tastes defeat I will move on to support the victor.

Where will I end up on the final day of the season? Perhaps I will be with the newly-crowned champions or perhaps my “fair weather†form will have me at a relegation clash or a meaningless mid-table fixture. Come with me as I make this journey and hopefully we will have some fun along the way.

Cheers, Spav. icon_biggrin.gif

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nobody likes to see their team get beaten. Ideally one’s team would go through the season unbeaten on its way to picking up the championship. Of course, the majority of fans would put up with the odd defeat or two if it meant watching their team go on to take the league title at the end of the season.

But what if you couldn’t stomach those defeats? What if you instead shifted your allegiance to the victor of the match you had just witnessed and followed that team instead? And you followed that pattern over and over again. You would have become the ultimate “fair weather†fan – a supporter who only follows his team in the good times and deserts them when things are bad.

I am going to become that ultimate “fair weather†fan for the duration of the 2004/05 English Premier League season. I will pick a team to start off the season and I will stay with them as long as they do not lose a match. As soon as my team tastes defeat I will move on to support the victor.

Where will I end up on the final day of the season? Perhaps I will be with the newly-crowned champions or perhaps my “fair weather†form will have me at a relegation clash or a meaningless mid-table fixture. Come with me as I make this journey and hopefully we will have some fun along the way.

Cheers, Spav. icon_biggrin.gif

In order to select my first club I needed some kind of mechanism to make the decision. I decided that the team which had the best result in its last friendly match prior to the first weekend of the Premier League would be my new club. I scanned the results and found that Crystal Palace had been to Wales for their final friendly. A 3-0 win over Caenarfon Town was the best result of all twenty Premier League sides. The decision had been made – I was a Crystal Palace supporter and I would be following the Eagles as they consolidated in the top flight and then made an unlikely push for the Premier League title.

Saturday 14th August 2004:

Norwich City v Crystal Palace – Carrow Road, Norwich

A quick trip to Selhurst Park on the Friday got me my new Crystal Palace scarf and a ticket for the game at Norwich today. I drove up to Norwich in good spirits. They had been promoted with us from Division One last season and I was quietly confident that we could get a result here to start us off on the right foot for the season ahead.

It was a lovely sunny afternoon in Norwich. Ian Dowie wandered out into the middle and gave us all a wave when we called out to him. The sun seemed to be shining on us as Dougie Freedman had the first chance of the game when he volleyed a long throw from Vas Lakis and bought a flying save out of Green. Nicola Ventola headed just over a few minutes later and we looked to be settling into the game well. Gabor Kiraly had to be alert to tip a shot from Mulryne onto the cross bar, but it bounced safely away. Ventola had another chance for us which Green scrambled away, but then Huckerby broke free behind our defence. As he came in from the left, Kiraly spread himself well and bundled the ball away for a corner. Michael Hughes and Joonas Kolkka did some fine work on the left which ended in Hughes shot going into the side netting. The first half ended at 0-0, but I felt that we had the better of the play. Things looked good for us and I was sure that we could get a goal in the second half.

Bloody Norwich caught us cold at the start of the second half. Barely a minute had gone when Jonson got free down the right wing. He crossed to the far post and Huckerby stretched to knock it back into the middle where Svensson turned it into the net from 8 yards range. Just a minute later and another Jonson cross from the right found Safri who belted it at our net from 14 yards out, only to see Kiraly make a stunning save. Dowie’s 3-4-3 formation was leaving holes out wide and I was happy to see him bring on Popovic and change to a 4-3-3 tactic, which seemed to be what Norwich were employing as well. Gradually we got back into the game and Ventola poked the ball just wide when he was given half a chance close to goal. Young Ben Watson took a superb free-kick in the 60th minute which beat Green all ends up, but it rattled against the cross bar instead. Two minutes later and Ventola surged through the centre of the Norwich defence. Doherty got in a challenge just as the Italian was about to shoot, but the ball deflected into the path of Hughes who fired it home from 20 yard to make it 1-1. Late on it was all us and we had chances to win the game as Andy Johnson fired over from a neat Lakis lay-off and moments later as Ventola hit his shot into the legs of Green when through one-on-one. In the end we had to be satisfied with a point, but at least we are unbeaten and things are bound to get better.

Norwich 1 Svensson 46

Crystal Palace 1 Hughes 62

Norwich: Green, Helveg, Doherty, Charlton (Edworthy), Drury, Mulryne, Safri, Holt, Jonson (Jarvis), Svensson (McKenzie), Huckerby.

Crystal Palace: Kiraly, Beckles, Lucic, Borrowdale (Popovic), Lakis (Andrews), Watson (Riihilahti), Hughes, Kolkka, Johnson, Ventola, Freedman.

My MOM: Gabby Kiraly was excellent in goal for us and saved our bacon on several occasions.

High-point: Mickey Hughes and his thumping equaliser. Magic!!

Low-point: The greasy chips that I was served at half-time. Sort it out Norwich!!

Next up: Crystal Palace v Manchester City – Selhurst Park, London

I saw my brother at the pub on Monday evening and I told him all about Palace’s fighting performance at Norwich and how we were gonna give the Premier League a real scare this season. He didn’t seem too impressed with my fervour for the mighty Eagles, but then again he’s a cócky little **** who’s on the Chelsea / Mourinho bandwagon. He’s been following Chelsea for years, but he rarely ever goes to the matches. I don’t know how he has the nerve to call himself a true fan when he doesn’t attend his club’s matches like I do. He reckons that Manchester City will do us in the next game on Wednesday night, but I fancy our chances. City only had a 0-0 draw at home against West Brom in their opening fixture and that isn’t the type of form that you’d want to be taking to Selhurst Park to face a rampant Crystal Palace.

Wednesday 18th August 2004:

Crystal Palace v Manchester City – Selhurst Park, London

I nipped into the club shop before the match and got myself the new season’s jersey. It felt brilliant slipping on those famous colours before joining the rest of my Palace mates out on the terraces.

We were all over City in the first 10 minutes and only poor finishing stopped us from being several goals in front. James saved at the feet of Nicky Ventola and then Dougie Freedman headed against the cross bar. The best chance fell to Gary Borrowdale who snuck up on the far post to collect Andy Johnson’s flick on from a Vas Lakis long throw. He only had James to beat from 12 yards, but he panicked and pulled his shot horribly wide. City gave us a bit of a wake-up call when Sinclair headed a Wright-Phillips corner against the cross bar after 13 minutes. The chances dried up for a while after that exciting start. Barton had been putting himself around in the centre of the park and bit too violently for my liking, so all of us Palace fans cheered when the ref booked him for a foul on Mickey Hughes. Hughes had the last laugh as well as he was involved in a swift counter-attack in the 37th minute. Freedman and Ventola worked a great move on the left wing and only a desperate diving header by Dunne cut out the final pass to Johnson who was free on the right. The headed clearance looped towards Hughes and on his weaker right foot he volleyed it from 22 yards and it flew in at James’s near post to put us 1-0 in front. It was a thoroughly deserved goal for the team and we defended the lead without trouble until the half-time break.

I told the geezer next to me that an early second half Palace goal would knock the stuffing out of City and he agreed with me. I reckoned that Ventola was due to open his account whilst he thought Freedman would net his first of the season. After 52 minutes I was proved correct when Hughes and Lakis did some fancy passing before the Greek slipped it through a hole in the City defence for the Italian. I’d seen Ventola balls-up a number of these chances in the game and a half that I’d seen so far this season, but this time he calmly slid it under James to put us 2-0 in front. Manchester City threw everything at us for the next 20 minutes, but goalie Gabby Kiraly really earned his pay with four excellent saves. Twice he denied Anelka and then McManaman, but his best save was from Sinclair after 73 minutes when he dived high to his left to flick a goal-bound curler away for a corner. City seemed to give up after that and we cruised through to the final whistle and registered a fine 2-0 win.

Crystal Palace 2 Hughes 37, Ventola 52

Manchester City 0

Crystal Palace: Kiraly, Beckles, Lucic, Borrowdale, Lakis (Andrews), Watson (Soares), Hughes, Granville (Popovic), Johnson, Ventola, Freedman.

Manchester City: James, Mills (Sun Jihai), Dunne, Distin, Thatcher, Wright-Phillips, McManaman (Gudjonsson), Barton, Sinclair (Sibierski), Macken, Anelka.

My MOM: Gabby Kiraly got my vote again today and the media agreed with me on this one.

Most promising youngster: Wesley Beckles – a Dowie discovery. The unknown 18yo marked Anelka out of the game. Outstanding!!

Biggest load of tosh: Steve McManaman – He’s taking City for a ride on the money that they’re paying him. Has-been!!

Next up: Crystal Palace v West Brom – Selhurst Park, London

Thanks Bob.

------------------------------------------------

I’ve been walking the walk and talking the talk at work this week – and why shouldn’t I after Palace’s great start to the season. My work-mate Andy reckons that all promoted teams always start off well and then the arse falls out of their season after 6-8 games. It told him that it’s different with Palace though as there’s a real steel and determination about their play now that they’re in the Premier League. Then Andy tells me to sod off because he remembers that I was an Arsenal fan last season. I tell him to sod off too cos he’s got me mixed up with someone else – I’m Palace through and through. We’ll make it three games unbeaten at the start of the season after tomorrow’s game. West Brom had their midweek fixture postponed, so they’ve still only played one match, which was a 0-0 draw at Manchester City on the opening day. No way are they in the form necessary to get anything from their visit to Selhurst Park.

Saturday 21st August 2004:

Crystal Palace v West Brom – Selhurst Park, London

West Brom didn’t show much in the first 20 minutes and Palace were all over them. Joonas Kolkka was brilliant out on the left wing. He set up several chances with his clever crossing and passing. The first chance fell to Vas Lakis whose header was tipped over by Hoult. Kolkka then hit a free-kick into the side netting and he followed that up a few minutes later with a pass to his fellow Finn Aki Riihilahti who hit a low shot that was turned away for a corner. Andy Johnson took a knock and had to be replaced by Wayne Andrews. West Brom had weathered the early storm and I was worried that we had missed our best chance to take the lead. That all changed in the 36th minute though. A long clearance by Hoult was returned by a Lucic header and Riihilahti picked up the loose ball 40 yards from goal. He rolled a pass to Dougie Freedman on the left who took one touch to control it. Freedman then hammered it goalwards from 30 yards and it flew like a rocket into the far corner leaving Hoult standing flat-footed. What a bloody brilliant goal!! West Brom were still trying to recover 2 minutes later when Lakis feed Andrews on the right and he slipped past Albrechtsen before sliding a pass into the feet of Neil Shipperley. Shipperley took a touch to make some room on the left of Moore and his early shot caught Hoult by surprise as the Albion keeper could only palm it into the corner of the goal. That was two goals in two minutes and it was 2-0 to Palace. There were no further chances in the first half and I was chuffed with our 2-0 lead at the break.

Palace were a bit slow out of the blocks at the beginning of the second half and that let West Brom back into the game. Earnshaw had come on for Horsfield at the break and he was buzzing all around the forward line. Koumas gave Gabby Kiraly his first challenge of the match with a low shot after 56 minutes, then Dobie set up Earnshaw who hammered it at Kiraly from 14 yards, but the Hungarian held the ball. West Brom’s Hungarian Gera was getting away from Mickey Hughes a bit too much, so Dowie sent on Ben Watson to keep an eye on him instead. It didn’t work though as Gera got free in the 73rd minute and he picked a pass to send Earnshaw away. Kiraly came out bravely, but Earnshaw dinked it over him as he dived and the ball trickled into our net to make it 2-1 and give Albion some hope of a point. Shipperley took a knock with 10 minutes to go, but we‘d used all our subs, so he was forced to stay on the pitch. He was next to useless though, so it was really 10 men against 11. West Brom’s Johnson forced another good save out of Kiraly as we defended desperately. In the end, the boys held Albion out to give us a 2-1 win and our third game unbeaten with all that putting Crystal Palace up to 5th place on the Premier League table.

Crystal Palace 2 Freedman 36, Shipperley 38

West Brom 1 Earnshaw 73

Crystal Palace: Kiraly, Boyce (Butterfield), Lucic, Borrowdale, Lakis, Riihilahti, Hughes (Watson), Kolkka, Johnson (Andrews), Freedman, Shipperley.

West Brom: Hoult, Contra, Moore, Purse, Albrechtsen, Robinson (Clement), Koumas, Farinos (Gera), Johnson, Horsfield (Earnshaw), Dobie.

My MOM: Dougie Freedman did some superb work up front with Ventola out today and Johnson off injured early. His super 30-yarder set us on the way to victory.

New memorabilia: I picked up a Riihilahti key-ring after the game at the club shop. Very tasteful!!

Big prediction: A UEFA Cup spot for Palace at the season’s end – no problems!!

Next up: Aston Villa v Crystal Palace – Villa Park, Birmingham

I've been trying to estimate how many teams I'll be following during the season as I stick to my lose-and-move policy. I reckon about 10-12 teams at the most.

icon_confused.gif Anyone else care to have a guess?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Spav:

I've been trying to estimate how many teams I'll be following during the season as I stick to my lose-and-move policy. I reckon about 10-12 teams at the most.

icon_confused.gif Anyone else care to have a guess? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Around ten seems right to me, maybe a bit less as you may send up supporting the same club(s) two or three times at different stages of the season.

Thanks Dave, the final number will be interesting.

Aston Villa are equal top after three games with a 100% record and a goal-difference of 10-3. The media are predicting that we will get a bollocking tomorrow night. Can’t they see that Palace are also undefeated? Surely we deserve some credit for our start to our return season in the Premier League. I will personally write a letter to each of those biased journos in the main newspapers telling them what twats they are when we come away from Villa Park with the three points tomorrow evening. Manchester United is second from bottom with one draw and two defeats from their opening three matches and yet the morons from Fleet Street don’t seem to be giving them nearly as much grief as we’re getting and we are in 5th place – go figure!!

Wednesday 25th August 2004:

Aston Villa v Crystal Palace – Villa Park, Birmingham

It was an ominous start to this match when there was no sniff of any goalmouth action for either side in the first 20 minutes. However Wesley Beckles made the opening chance from defence after 22 minutes when he robbed Bierofka and sent a brilliant 40 yard pass down the right wing for Andy Johnson. He ran to the bye-line and crossed to the near post where Nicky Ventola volleyed beautifully, but Sorensen got his body in the way. After that Villa took control of the midfield, but it took a while for them to fashion a chance. It was Angel who took a pass from Samuel after 34 minutes and swivelled around Lucic to fire a shot that the outstanding Gabor Kiraly held after a diving save. Kiraly also had to tip Cole’s header over the cross bar in the 39th minute. Not much else of note occurred, so it was 0-0 at the break.

The clearest chance of the second half occurred in the very first minute. Bierofka broke free on the left wing and crossed to the far post. We were a man short in defence and no-one had picked up de la Cruz. He had time to pick his spot and he powered a header back across goal towards the far corner. Kiraly brilliantly dived backwards to claw the ball away and Beckles tidied up the rebound with a hefty boot down the park. Dougie Freedman rifled in a fine half-volley after 63 minutes, but the ball flew straight into Sorensen’s arms from 18 yards out. Late on Kiraly saved our bacon with two excellent saves. Firstly he dived at Barry’s feet to steal the ball as the Villa wing-back cut into the box unmarked after 81 minutes. Secondly he tipped Mellberg’s goal-bound header over for a corner with 3 minutes remaining. It was our worst effort of the season so far, but the 0-0 kept us unbeaten after 4 rounds and that is much better than the bloody media had predicted for Crystal Palace.

Aston Villa 0

Crystal Palace 0

Aston Villa: Sorensen, Delaney, Mellberg, Laursen, Samuel, de la Cruz (Vassell), Hendrie, Hitzlsperger, Bierofka (Barry), Cole (Moore.L), Angel.

Crystal Palace: Kiraly, Beckles, Lucic, Granville, Lakis, Riihilahti, Hughes (Watson), Kolkka, Johnson (Borrowdale), Ventola, Freedman (Shipperley).

My MOM: Gabby Kiraly yet again. This guy just has to be the best off-season signing by any club in the Premier League.

Can’t get enough of: The long throw-ins of Greek winger Vas Lakis. So threatening!!

Over-rated foreigner: Daniel Bierofka – despite all the hype over his opening 3 games for Villa, 18yo Wesley Beckles dominated him today. Must try harder!!

Next up: Crystal Palace v Fulham – Selhurst Park, London

My Dad was on the phone to me last night. After the usual chat about the family, the weather, the bloody French (a personal bugbear of Dad’s) and his darts team, we finally got onto football. Son, why don’t we take in the Fulham game this weekend? he asks. I already have a ticket in with the hard-core Crystal Palace fans, I tell him. Palace!! he replies, since when are you a Palace fan? I give a sigh. Dad is obviously going senile – he can’t even remember which football team his son supports anymore. I explain how I have been a Palace supporter for ages, but he won’t let go of the notion that I supported Fulham at some stage in my life. Dad, maybe you should go and see your doctor if your memory is getting so bad, I tell him. Listen you smug little twat, he rages, I know you’re a slimy fair weather fan – I hope Fulham spank your arses on Sunday. And with that, he hung up. Poor Dad, I hope that Alzheimer’s disease isn’t setting in.

Sunday 29th August 2004:

Crystal Palace v Fulham – Selhurst Park, London

I’m getting a bit worried about our lack of goalscoring up front. Today we dominated the opening period in terms of possession, but we couldn’t actually work up a decent shot on goal. Fulham had come to play defensively and hit Palace on the break with their speedy forwards Radzinski and John. Worryingly, that pair created more chances for Fulham with much less possession of the ball. Boa Morte forced Gab Kiraly to make a good save after 12 minutes and Bauri fired one just over the cross bar after 19 minutes. However we came closest in the 24th minute when Vas Lakis volleyed Nicky Ventola’s headed flick against the cross bar from 12 yards out. When Ventola fired over from 8 yards from Dougie Freedman’s pull-back, I knew we were in for one of those nights. Thankfully we have Kiraly in goal for us this season and he saved our arses at the end of the first half by denying Diop’s header with a flying save and then smothering the ball at the feet of Boa Morte when he burst through the middle. 0-0 at half-time.

It’s sad to report that we could only manage one attempt on goal during the second half. That came in the final few minutes when we won a series of corners, but all we had to show for it was a header by Lakis that went six inches over the cross bar. Prior to that, only some abysmal finishing by Fulham and the continued heroics of Kiraly kept our unbeaten run intact. Second half substitute Clark was looking for a hole to bury himself in after 56 minutes when he missed an open goal from 5 yards after Kiraly parried fellow substitute Cole’s shot to his feet. Cole was denied gain shortly afterwards by Kiraly and there was a mighty round of hooting after one Cole effort was so wayward that it went out for a throw. But I shouldn’t make too much fun – at least Fulham were having shots on goal. In the end we had a 0-0 home draw and we have been unbeaten in our opening five games. However we’ll have to improve if we are going to keep this run going at Tottenham after the international break.

Crystal Palace 0

Fulham 0

Crystal Palace: Kiraly, Boyce (Granville), Beckles, Borrowdale, Lakis, Riihilahti, Hughes (Watson), Kolkka, Johnson, Ventola (Andrews), Freedman.

Fulham: van der Sar, Leacock, Goma, Bocanegra, Bonnissel, Bauri, Diop (Clark), Legwinski, Boa Morte, John (Jensen), Radzinski (Cole).

My MOM: Gabby Kiraly – I know it’s repetitive, but the Hungarian international is performing way above the rest of the team.

Major coincidence #1: Both mine and Joonas Kolkka’s birthdays are on the same day. Spooky!!

Major coincidence #2: I bumped into Dad after the game. He rubbed his Fulham scarf in my face and then scuttled off!!

Next up: Tottenham v Crystal Palace – White Hart Lane, London

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Premier League - 31st August 2004:

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

|Pos | Team | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts |

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

|1st | Chelsea | 5 | 5 | 0 | 0 | 16 | 1 | +15 | 15 |

|2nd | Arsenal | 5 | 5 | 0 | 0 | 13 | 2 | +11 | 15 |

|3rd | Aston Villa | 5 | 4 | 1 | 0 | 14 | 3 | +11 | 13 |

|4th | Liverpool | 5 | 4 | 1 | 0 | 8 | 1 | +7 | 13 |

|5th | Newcastle | 5 | 3 | 1 | 1 | 4 | 1 | +3 | 10 |

|6th | Crystal Palace | 5 | 2 | 3 | 0 | 5 | 2 | +3 | 9 |

|7th | Bolton | 5 | 3 | 0 | 2 | 9 | 9 | 0 | 9 |

|8th | Southampton | 5 | 2 | 1 | 2 | 7 | 6 | +1 | 7 |

|9th | Fulham | 4 | 2 | 1 | 1 | 3 | 2 | +1 | 7 |

|10th | Tottenham | 5 | 1 | 3 | 1 | 6 | 7 | -1 | 6 |

|11th | Birmingham | 5 | 1 | 2 | 2 | 5 | 7 | -2 | 5 |

|12th | Man City | 5 | 1 | 1 | 3 | 5 | 8 | -3 | 4 |

|13th | West Brom | 5 | 1 | 1 | 3 | 4 | 8 | -4 | 4 |

|14th | Everton | 5 | 1 | 1 | 3 | 8 | 15 | -7 | 4 |

|15th | Charlton | 5 | 1 | 1 | 3 | 4 | 12 | -8 | 4 |

|16th | Middlesbrough | 4 | 0 | 3 | 1 | 5 | 6 | -1 | 3 |

|17th | Norwich | 5 | 0 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 11 | -7 | 2 |

|18th | Portsmouth | 5 | 0 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 12 | -8 | 2 |

|19th | Man Utd | 5 | 0 | 1 | 4 | 5 | 10 | -5 | 1 |

|20th | Blackburn | 5 | 0 | 1 | 4 | 2 | 8 | -6 | 1 |

</pre>

Yeah, you don't see Manchester United in that position too often.

Two wins and three draws from five matches for Crystal Palace has shut up a lot of the doubters over the team’s ability to adapt to the Premier League. Certainly my work-mate Andy isn’t giving me as much mouth as he did at the start of the season. Crystal Palace has earned some respect, especially after that 0-0 draw at Aston Villa a couple of weeks ago. However this week we face Andy’s team Spurs. I think a decent wager is in order and once I take the cócky bugger’s money that should shut him up for a while. Tottenham have already had too many draws to be a real danger to the teams at the top of the table and 10th place is about where I would expect to see them remaining for the rest of the campaign.

Sunday 12th September 2004:

Tottenham v Crystal Palace – White Hart Lane, London

Spurs started with a slick passing game and we were chasing shadows for the first 10 minutes. After 7 minutes Redknapp hit an outrageous free-kick from 35 yards which crashed against the cross bar and rebounded to safety. But our good fortune was short-lived as Davies switched play with a long pass from the right to the left to Atouba. He knocked it inside to Redknapp who instantly directed it to the feet of Kanoute. Before Gabor Kiraly could even dive, Kanoute had smashed it into the net from 12 yards to put Tottenham 1-0 up after 11 minutes. I had been hoping that Spurs might have been a bit toothless up front with Defoe out injured and Keane only on the bench as he returned from injury himself. Silva Sousa was Kanoute’s partner in attack and had a great chance to make it 2-0, but Kiraly dived bravely at his feet after 17 minutes. It was clear that Kiraly had taken a bad knock to his thigh, but he battled on bravely for a few minutes before succumbing. Julian Speroni replaced the player that had been responsible for our great start to the season and I must admit that I was a little bit worried for our chances. Speroni calmed his nerves with a fine save from Redknapp’s low shot after 26 minutes, but he was beaten all ends up by Tottenham’s second goal after 33 minutes. Atouba made space down Spurs left and found Redknapp on a forward run. He laid a pass off to Taricco and the full-back curled it first time past Speroni from 25 yards for a spectacular goal. King headed just over from a Davies corner in the 38th minute as Spurs continued to dominate Palace. From my position in the grandstand I had a perfect view of Silva Sousa beating the offside trap after 44 minutes. He angled in from the left and laid off a pass for Kanoute who powered it at goal, but Speroni just got his hand to it. Unfortunately it rebounded to Davies and the Welsh international simply sidefooted it back into the unguarded net. That made it 3-0 to Spurs and Palace were looking decidedly second-rate as half-time arrived.

Tottenham spent the majority of the second half playing in second gear. They were very happy with their 3-0 lead and they were comfortable just playing the ball around. Neil Shipperley came on for the anonymous Andy Johnson after an hour and Spurs replied by sending on Keane for the final 25 minutes in place of Silva Sousa. It was Keane who finally put the stamp of authority on Spurs performance when he found the net after 77 minutes. Brown worked some space on the left and feed Keane who was inside. Just like Taricco in the first half, Keane fired it firmly at goal from 25 yards. There was more power and swerve than Taricco’s shot, but it was still the same result and Keane cart-wheeled away in his usual goal celebration. At 4-0 the game was well and truly out of Palace’s reach. It had been a humiliating end to our five game unbeaten run.

After the game I quickly disappeared into the toilets and got rid of my Crystal Palace shirt into my backpack. A quick trip into the Spurs Store got me a brand new Spurs jersey with number 9 and Kanoute stencilled on the back. I looked at the match programme and saw that Tottenham’s next game was away at Aston Villa next Saturday. We’d have a good chance of picking up three points at Villa Park next weekend based on the way in which we had whipped Crystal Palace 4-0 today. Yes, with Spurs in 6th place and the team’s form on the rise, we were really going places this season.

Tottenham 4 Kanoute 11, Taricco 33, Davies 44, Keane77

Crystal Palace 0

Tottenham: Robinson, Mabizela, King, Naybet, Taricco, Davies, Carrick (Davis), Redknapp, Atouba (Brown), Silva Sousa (Keane), Kanoute.

Crystal Palace: Kiraly (Speroni), Beckles, Lucic, Granville, Lakis, Riihilahti, Hughes, Borrowdale (Popovic), Johnson (Shipperley), Ventola, Freedman.

My MOM: Freddie Kanoute scored one and made another and was a constant thorn in side of the Palace defence.

High-point #1: Taricco’s quality curling goal in the first half. Superb!!

High-point #2: Keane’s vicious half-volleyed goal in the second half. Brilliant!!

Next up: Aston Villa v Tottenham – Villa Park, Birmingham

Thanks BoN, here's your answer.

Thanks for your comments, Legend.

It’s just over three weeks since I was last at Villa Park, back in the days when I followed Crystal Palace. Of course, that was before I saw the light and changed my allegiance to the mighty Spurs. Aston Villa still hasn’t lost since then and they are in 4th place with a 4-2-0 record and 14 points. Mind you, they’ve beaten no-one of note and I wouldn’t call wins over Middlesbrough, Norwich, Manchester City and West Brom earth-shattering. With my new favourite Freddie Kanoute in top form, I expect that we’ll end the Villan’s unbeaten run and move ourselves up the table from our current 6th place.

Saturday 18th September 2004:

Aston Villa v Tottenham – Villa Park, Birmingham

It’s reassuring to see that despite Aston Villa dominating the possession in the opening quarter hour, they are unable to seriously trouble our defence. Mauricio Taricco has his hands full with Bierofka on Villa’s left, but the German’s distribution and crossing was poor. Out of the blue the first scoring chance fell our way in the 21st minute as Sean Davis picked up Jamie Redknapp’s pass and fired in a 30 yard shot which crashed against the cross bar, then rebounded to safety. Freddie Kanoute shot wide from a good position after 32 minutes and Villa finally fashioned a chance after 38 minutes when Cole cut in from the right and forced Paul Robinson to spread himself well to block the resulting low shot. That’s pretty much it from a bland 45 minutes of first half football and it’s 0-0 at the break.

As a Spurs fan, the second half didn’t offer anything to cheer about. I can’t believe that the players couldn’t even fashion one chance in 45 minutes of football. Thankfully we had Paul Robinson in goal and he was the reason that we got a point from the game. Aston Villa could only manage to create three chances from all their possession, but they were all gilt-edged opportunities. In the 61st minute Laursen met Bierofka’s cross with a fine downward header, but Robinson dived to his right to scoop it away for a corner. Barry’s overlapping run in the 68th minute saw his cross headed towards the far top corner by Hendrie, but Robinson again dived acrobatically to claw it away. Villa’s final chance came in the 83rd minute as substitute Luke Moore finally beat Robinson when he flicked on a cross from his brother and fellow substitute Stefan Moore, but Michael Carrick was on hand to head the ball off the line. A poor 0-0 draw was the final score, but sometimes you just have to take those results when you’re on the road. Still, the main thing is that we didn’t lose – nobody likes to see their team lose, do they?

Aston Villa 0

Tottenham 0

Aston Villa: Sorensen, Delaney, Mellberg, Laursen, Barry, Park Ji-Sung (de la Cruz), Hendrie, Hitzlsperger, Bierofka, Cole (Moore.L), Angel (Moore.S).

Tottenham: Robinson, Taricco, King, Naybet, Edman, Davies, Davis (Mendes), Redknapp, Atouba (Carrick), Kanoute (Defoe), Keane.

My MOM: Paul Robinson – I hope it’s not a bad sign when it’s the goalie who is consistently the team’s best player.

It’s sad when: You travel all the way to Birmingham and you only get to see a boring 0-0 draw. Damn!!

It’s even sadder when: You get home and watch the reply on the telly in case you missed something. Damn, damn!!

Next up: Tottenham v Fulham – White Hart Lane, London

Cheers Raptor & Ryno, glad you're enjoying it.

I gave Dad a call on Wednesday night to speak to him about the upcoming weekend’s football. Are you going to watch Fulham on Sunday? I asked him. Yes, he replied in a rather suspicious tone. Could you get me a ticket? I asked him. Why, Crystal Palace aren’t playing us, you know, he said. Of course I know that Dad, they’re playing Spurs, I responded. Ah, you’ve come to your senses, he said sounding relieved, you’re ready to come and see Fulham with me like we did when you were a little’un. I hesitated to answer as Dad was still on the wrong tack, just like he had been when I’d last spoken to him a couple of weeks ago. Dad, I want you to get me a ticket so that I can see the mighty Spurs play, not because of Fulham. The silly old bugger didn’t respond – all I could hear was the dial-tone buzzing in my ear after Dad had hung up on me!!

Sunday 26th September 2004:

Tottenham v Fulham – White Hart Lane, London

Spurs leapt from the gates as soon as the opening whistle went and ripped into Fulham. Only just over a minute had gone when Sean Davis released Simon Davies on the right and he advanced before sliding a low ball into the feet of Freddie Kanoute. There was no-one marking the lanky striker and Kanoute was able to power a first time shot past van der Sar from 14 yards range to put us 1-0 up. Kanoute set Robbie Keane up for a red-hot chance in the 5th minute, but a desperate lunge by Goma took the sting off the shot and van der Sar was able to gratefully clutch the deflected shot to his chest. There was no such luck in the 9th minute when Davis suddenly let rip with a 30 yard effort that beat van der Sar all ends up. Unfortunately it struck the cross bar and rebounded into play. Kanoute lunged forward to volley it back at goal, but van der Sar had regained his feet and was able to parry the shot. This time the rebound went in the direction of Keane and he made no mistake by crashing it back into the Fulham net to put us 2-0 in front. Fulham finally worked their first chance after 25 minutes, but Bonnissel’s header was well wide of the net. The skill of Bauri got Fulham back into the game after 29 minutes when he went past Erik Edman and found Cole just inside the box. Cole squared it further to Diop and he hit a low shot that got past Paul Robinson and made the score 2-1. Fulham’s McBride emulated the earlier effort of Davis by surprising Robinson with a sudden 30 yard effort that rattled the cross bar, but luckily Fulham didn’t have anyone on hand to meet the rebound. Davis then missed a good chance by shooting too hastily and just a minute before the break Keane broke into the box, but totally scuffed his shot and gave van der Sar an easy save. At times the play by Spurs had been breathtaking, but there hadn’t been total domination and we only led by 2-1 at half-time.

In the 54th minute we got a sweeping move going from right-back through the midfield to the left-wing involving half the team. It ended with Keane’s pass to Jamie Redknapp who had moved up to support the attack. Redknapp had time to force van der Sar to make a move one way before he went the other way and dinked the ball over the sprawling Dutchman to put us 3-1 up. The next serious chance fell to Fulham in the 65th minute. A Pembridge corner was flicked on at the near post by Goma and Knight met it in the centre with a powerful header. Thankfully Robinson was on his game and he dived quickly to his left to punch it away. However our defence didn’t learn from the experience and when Boa Morte took a corner in the 71st minute it was aimed at Cole on the near post. His flick found Knight again, but this time the defender’s downward header beat Robinson and the score was pulled back to 3-2. Minutes later Robinson had to parry Diop’s header and Ledley King hacked the loose ball away. Jermain Defoe had come on as a substitute for Kanoute, but the fact that he had been out of the team with injury recently was obvious when he dallied too long over a one-on-one with van der Sar and allowed Goma to get back and tackle him. Fulham pushed forward in numbers for the final 10 minutes and they were giving our defence a torrid time, but they protected Robinson with determination. In the 89th minute Fulham won a corner and even van der Sar came up for it. King headed it clear and Mauricio Taricco moved it on to Davies. As van der Sar sprinted desperately back to his position Davies lobbed it towards the Fulham net from the halfway line. I held my breath as it floated towards the goal, but it ended up in the side netting just three inches wide of the post. If that had gone in, it would have been the goal of the year for sure!! It was the final chance of the game though and Spurs had won the London derby by 3-2. It also took our unbeaten run to three matches and moved us up to 5th place on the Premier League table.

Tottenham 3 Kanoute 2, Keane 9, Redknapp 54

Fulham 2 Diop 30, Knight 71

Tottenham: Robinson, Taricco, King, Naybet, Edman, Davies, Davis (Mendes), Redknapp, Atouba, Kanoute (Defoe), Keane (Silva Sousa).

Fulham: van der Sar, Volz, Knight, Goma, Bonnissel (Pembridge), Bauri (Pearce), Diop, Jensen, Boa Morte, Cole, McBride (Radzinski).

My MOM: Freddie Kanoute – My favourite player led the line strongly and was especially dangerous in the first half.

Dilemma #1: Davis, Carrick, and Redknapp in the centre of midfield. Three into two doesn’t go!!

Dilemma #2: Could you fit Kanoute, Keane and Defoe in the same team? Please, Mr Jol, let me see it happen!!

Next up: Tottenham v West Brom – White Hart Lane, London

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Premier League - 30th September 2004:

|1st | Liverpool | 8 | 7 | 1 | 0 | 14 | 2 | +12 | 22 |

|2nd | Chelsea | 8 | 6 | 2 | 0 | 21 | 4 | +17 | 20 |

|3rd | Arsenal | 8 | 6 | 0 | 2 | 16 | 6 | +10 | 18 |

|4th | Aston Villa | 8 | 4 | 3 | 1 | 14 | 5 | +9 | 15 |

|5th | Tottenham | 8 | 3 | 4 | 1 | 13 | 9 | +4 | 13 |

|6th | Newcastle | 8 | 4 | 1 | 3 | 6 | 5 | +1 | 13 |

|7th | Southampton | 8 | 3 | 2 | 3 | 13 | 13 | 0 | 11 |

|8th | Portsmouth | 8 | 3 | 2 | 3 | 12 | 13 | -1 | 11 |

|9th | Man Utd | 8 | 3 | 1 | 4 | 12 | 12 | 0 | 10 |

|10th | Bolton | 7 | 3 | 1 | 3 | 10 | 11 | -1 | 10 |

|11th | Charlton | 8 | 3 | 1 | 4 | 10 | 17 | -7 | 10 |

|12th | Fulham | 7 | 2 | 3 | 2 | 5 | 5 | 0 | 9 |

|13th | West Brom | 8 | 2 | 3 | 3 | 5 | 8 | -3 | 9 |

|14th | Everton | 8 | 2 | 3 | 3 | 15 | 19 | -4 | 9 |

|15th | Crystal Palace | 8 | 2 | 3 | 3 | 6 | 10 | -4 | 9 |

|16th | Man City | 8 | 2 | 1 | 5 | 11 | 15 | -4 | 7 |

|17th | Birmingham | 8 | 1 | 4 | 3 | 8 | 12 | -4 | 7 |

|18th | Norwich | 8 | 0 | 4 | 4 | 6 | 14 | -8 | 4 |

|19th | Middlesbrough | 6 | 0 | 3 | 3 | 7 | 14 | -7 | 3 |

|20th | Blackburn | 8 | 0 | 2 | 6 | 5 | 15 | -10 | 2 |

</pre>

I was so glad that I had seen the error of my ways and dumped Crystal Palace. They had gone into free-fall since the start of September and hadn’t picked up a point since the mighty Spurs had beaten them a month ago. Palace’s form was pretty much as expected, of course. Mind you, there were some strange things going on in the Premier League this season. Who would have thought that Liverpool would have been unbeaten and leading the table at the start of October? Who would have predicted that Manchester United would have to haul themselves out of the bottom three and only be 9th after two months of the season? There were some things that were predictable though. One of them was that Spurs would have no trouble disposing of West Brom at White Hart Lane on Saturday. The Baggies had scraped together a couple of lucky wins and found themselves in 13th place. However Spurs, even without King, Carrick and Defoe this weekend, would have no trouble in taking the three points from them. Of that, I was sure.

Saturday 2nd October 2004:

Tottenham v West Brom – White Hart Lane, London

There was plenty of time to get settled in my seat at the Lane today as West Brom’s 5-3-2 tactic was played in such a defensive frame of mind that nothing of note happened until the17th minute. That was when Freddie Kanoute flashed a shot across the West Brom six-yard box and a couple of feet wide. Our next attack in the 19th minute was even more productive. After Erik Edman ran out of options on the left he played the ball back to Nourredine Naybet standing on the halfway line. The Moroccan sprayed a beautiful 50 yard pass to the right to Simon Davies and he took a controlling touch before sending an inviting cross into the box. Robbie Keane rose well at the far and powered a header back across Johnsen and into the far corner to put us 1-0 in front. I’d been a bit worried when I’d heard that Ledley King was out today and that Mbulelo Mabizela would be taking his place. However the South African was playing well and he twice saved us from being drawn level when he denied Kanu with a splendidly timed tackle inside the box after 25 minutes and then robbed Horsfield a minute later just as he was about to sidefoot into an empty net following Kanu’s layoff. Jamie Redknapp came close to extending our lead with a curling free-kick after 37 minutes that just clipped the top of the bar and he further demonstrated his long-range shooting by rifling a shot into the side-netting from 25 yards in injury-time. I was happy with our 1-0 lead at the break, but I felt that we should have been further in front.

Our start to the second half was quiet, but at least West Brom weren’t creating chances either. When Kanu threatened again in the 59th minute, Mabizela again stuck out a long leg to clear the danger. Finally though, Kanu did get free and he strode into a one-on-one situation with Paul Robinson. This time it was our keeper who made the save by diving brilliantly to his left to push away Kanu’s low shot. A lovely long ball by Redknapp after 71 minutes sent Davies away down the right wing and he crossed early towards the near post. I could see Kanoute arriving all on his own and he had to only pick his spot to beat Johnsen and score, but he inexplicably headed over the cross bar. No wonder he sat on the turf with his head in his hands. A minute later and I thought that we were going to pay for Freddie’s miss when the nippy Earnshaw skipped past Naybet and homed in on our goal. However Robinson was determined to have a clean sheet today and his legs deflected Earnshaw’s goal-bound shot away for a corner. Around the 78th minute I told the bloke next to me that another goal should clinch the game for us and I’d barely finished speaking when Sean Davis took a quick free-kick into the feet of Redknapp who was just inside the dee. He drove a low shot towards the corner and Silva Sousa obscured Johnsen’s view of the ball, stepping over it at the final moment and allowing the Redknapp shot to strike the post and bounce into the net for a 2-0 lead to Spurs. That killed off the aspirations of West Brom who had doggedly hung onto us for the majority of the match. It also moved Spurs up to 4th on the Premier League table.

Tottenham 2 Keane 19, Redknapp 78

West Brom 0

Tottenham: Robinson, Taricco, Mabizela, Naybet, Edman (Pamarot), Davies, Brown, Redknapp, Atouba (Silva Sousa), Kanoute, Keane (Davis).

West Brom: Johnsen, Haas (Gera), Moore, Albrechtsen, Scimeca, Robinson, Koumas, Farinos, Johnson (Greening), Kanu, Horsfield (Earnshaw).

My MOM: Mbulelo Mabizela, who made sure that Ledley King wasn’t missed with a fine display in the centre of defence.

Very funny: When the guy in front of me called West Brom’s Robert Earnshaw “Dopey†and then sang the Seven Dwarves marching tune. Hilarious!!

Not so funny: When the fool behind me smeared tomato sauce all down the back of my new Spurs team jacket. What a flange!!

Next up: Liverpool v Tottenham – Anfield, Liverpool

It'll be interesting to see if following this route through the season will see you witness more or less defeats than if you'd stuck with the same team. Great stuff, if I could stand watching an AI manager control the mighty Spurs I'd have a game of it myself.

Majalo - I'll do a summary at the end of the season that may answer your question.

Stuart - There was an earlier comment similar to yours. I've found that the AI rarely has teams going through a whole season undefeated. So if I did end up at Chelsea, Arsenal or Manchester United, then I'm sure that I wouldn't remain there for 25 games or something similar.

What a match we have coming up this weekend. Spurs are away to Liverpool and it’s first versus fourth. Liverpool are unbeaten with 8 wins and 1 draw from their 9 matches and they already lead Chelsea by 4 points. This will be a real test of Tottenham’s current good form in its four game unbeaten run. My work-mate Andy has really loved Spurs recent top form, but suddenly he has gone all soft and wimpy. He’s a Spurs fan just like me, but when I asked him about going up to Liverpool together for the match he mumbled something about not being able to go because his girlfriend wanted him to go shopping for a new sofa at Ikea. Now I know that Andy never misses a Spurs game unless it’s because someone has died and even then they’d have to be an immediate family member for him not to go. That’s why I’m so surprised that he is letting his girlfriend call the shots in their relationship now. Boy, will I give him some curry when I get back from Scouserland and tell him about our performance at Anfield.

Saturday 16th October 2004:

Liverpool v Tottenham – Anfield, Liverpool

As is generally the case when Spurs visit Liverpool, it was the Reds who piled on the pressure. It started as soon as the 3rd minute when Mauricio Taricco headed Carragher’s goal-bound header off the line following Riise’s corner. Liverpool had an attacking 4-2-3-1 formation in place with Luis Garcia, Kewell and the new sensation Jamie Kelly supporting Cisse up front. Luis Garcia was especially seeing a lot of the ball on the left side and he was giving last week’s hero Mbulelo Mabizela a tough time at right-back. The Spaniard crossed for Gerrard to head just over after 12 minutes and he then supplied a fine ball in the 17th minute for Cisse to run clear on the left, but the Frenchman shot straight into Paul Robinson’s arms. Cisse ran onto Kewell’s pass in the 23rd minute and produced a better shot, low to Robinson’s right, but our splendid keeper showed why he is currently number one for England by pushing it away for a corner. Sean Davis finally had the first shot for Spurs after 30 minutes, but his 20 yard effort was about a four feet wide of the target. Riise flashed a cross through the six yard box after 40 minutes, but luckily no-one from Liverpool was there to apply the finishing touch. As the first half came to an end it was Liverpool who had dominated the possession, but as is often the case in these games the clearest chance fell to the struggling side. It was Robbie Keane who wriggled free on the left and sent over a cross which found Freddie Kanoute all on his own on the penalty spot. Kanoute pulled the ball down and lined up Kirkland’s goal, but he amazingly blazed the ball six feet over the cross bar. Just like last week against West Brom, it was time for Freddie to sink to his knees and hold his head in shame. 0-0 at the break.

I was feeling tentative about our chances after seeing the pressure that we had to absorb in the first half, but that all changed 3 minutes into the second stanza. A long clearance by Robinson caught Hyypia and Carragher in two minds as to whether attack it and they both let it bounce. Kanoute ran onto the loose ball and was free, leaving Hyypia with no choice but to pull him back. Referee Alan Wiley also had no choice and he immediately sent the Liverpool captain off. Henchoz came on for Kelly and Liverpool went to 4-4-1. That changed the entire complexion of the game and I was a bit surprised when Martin Jol didn’t push the team forward to try and take advantage of the extra man that Spurs now had. A half-volley that was two yards wide by Davis and a weak header by substitute Jermain Defoe was all that we had to show for the second half, whilst Robinson was not even tested by Liverpool. At least we didn’t lose at Anfield this season, but I was actually disappointed with the 0-0 final result.

Liverpool 0

Tottenham 0

Liverpool: Kirkland, Josemi, Carragher, Hyypia, Riise, Gerrard, Xabi Alonso, Kelly (Henchoz), Kewell, Luis Garcia (Hamann), Cisse (Sinama-Pongolle).

Tottenham: Robinson, Mabizela, Naybet, King, Taricco, Davies, Davis (Mendes), Redknapp, Atouba (Brown), Kanoute, Keane (Defoe).

My MOM: Paul Robinson for his first half saves, but it could have been nearly anyone in this lacklustre match.

Amazing fact #1: Harry Kewell looks much fatter in real life than he does on the telly. Intriguing!!

Amazing fact #2: My work-mate Andy must have an identical twin, because I saw him at the train station on the way back from Liverpool. Eerie!!

Next up: Tottenham v Southampton – White Hart Lane, London

I’ve got two good reasons to go to the football now – not only do I get to see the mighty Tottenham play, but I’ve also met myself a bird. Her name is Karen and I met her on the train back from Liverpool last Saturday. She’s from a mad keen Spurs household – her Dad, Mum and four brothers all support the club – and they only live two streets away from White Hart Lane. I tell you, she just about knows more about the history of Spurs than I do. We had a couple of drinks when we got back to London last Saturday and then I arranged to meet her on Wednesday for a curry. That night went real well and we are going to the match against Southampton together this Sunday. I tell you, what with Spurs doing so well on this current unbeaten run and me having met Karen, things couldn’t be much better in my life.

Sunday 24th October 2004:

Tottenham v Southampton – White Hart Lane, London

Oh dear, its games like this that are bad advertisements for football. Only 4 minutes had gone when Sean Davis headed Timothee Atouba’s left wing cross flush against the post. There were no Spurs players on hand to net the rebound and Oakley managed to smuggle it away. After that, the game went downhill fast. Long clearances, poor passes that failed to reach their intended targets and a lack of adventure by both sides characterised the game. The next chance on goal fell to Delap in the 39th minute when he found himself free 12 yards from goal after a deflected free-kick fell at his feet. Such was his surprise at receiving the ball that he snatched at his shot and screwed it 5 yards wide with only Paul Robinson to beat.

Only two chances of note were created in the second half. Thankfully they both fell to Spurs, but they weren’t anything to shout about. Simon Davies flashed a free-kick about a foot wide of the post in the 55th minute. The fans had to wait until the 78th minute for the second chance when Silva Sousa headed Davies corner well over from a good position. So that was it – another 0-0 draw after last week’s similar effort at Liverpool. I tell you, if I weren’t such an avid and loyal Tottenham fan, then I’d even consider following another team after that display today. But, of course, that sort of thing would never happen. After all, when you support a football club you have to take the thick with the thin.

Tottenham 0

Southampton 0

Tottenham: Robinson, Mabizela, Naybet, King, Taricco, Davies, Davis (Mendes), Redknapp, Atouba, Kanoute (Silva Sousa), Keane (Defoe).

Southampton: Niemi, Kenton (Dodd), Lundekvam, Higginbotham, Le Saux, Svensson.A, Delap, Oakley, Fernandes (Folly), Beattie, Phillips (Pahars).

My MOM: Timothee Atouba gets the award for some reasonable work on the left wing, but believe me, it’s nothing to be proud of in this match.

High-point: Walking into White Hart Lane and looking forward to thumping Southampton. Hopeful!!

Low-point: The turgid 90 minutes that followed. Disgusted!!

Next up: Portsmouth v Tottenham – Fratton Park, Portsmouth

When this season is over post the league table and also work out from the games you saw:

Wins, draws, l**ses, goal difference etc. and see where that would have finished in the table.

I'm still enjoying it btw.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Majalo:

When this season is over post the league table and also work out from the games you saw:

Wins, draws, l**ses, goal difference etc. and see where that would have finished in the table.

I'm still enjoying it btw. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Majalo, but how do I treat the games where my team gets beaten and I change allegiance to the new one? That's the point of the story - I never get to see "my" team get beaten. All I'm left with is wins and draws. icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Spav:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Majalo:

I'm still enjoying it btw. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Majalo, but how do I treat the games where my team gets beaten and I change allegiance to the new one? That's the point of the story - I never get to see "my" team get beaten. All I'm left with is wins and draws. icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think for Majalo's idea you would have to have the games were you switch allegiances as losses. So far you have not had to change team as much as i would've expected.

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve been spending a lot of time with my new girlfriend Karen over the past week. We have been scheduling our travel plans for the remainder of Spurs matches this season. It has been great being able to spend time with a girl who is also a mad keen football supporter. Things are going along really well and Karen’s parents and her brothers are all glad that she’s found a decent bloke who happens to be a Spurs supporter as well. This weekend’s match is away at Portsmouth and we have decided to travel down on the Friday evening and stay at a B&B for the night. It will be our first “sleepover†and obviously I’m champing at the bit for it to come around. The next day we’ll go to Fratton Park together and watch Spurs take Portsmouth apart. What with Tottenham being in 6th place and unbeaten in 6 matches, Portsmouth’s 14th spot and 3 wins so far this season doesn’t look too much of challenge for us. So I’ll get my leg over on Friday night and Spurs will do over Pompey on Saturday afternoon, which will complete a lovely weekend for me.

Saturday 30th October 2004:

Portsmouth v Tottenham – Fratton Park, Portsmouth

I was very pleased to see that Spurs settled into a dominating role early in this match. Portsmouth were not offering much in the way of danger to Paul Robinson’s goal, but our early efforts to get on top were limited to a couple of headers from Freddie Kanoute. Simon Davies was giving the left side of Pompey’s defence a hard time with his probing runs and tempting crosses. The first clear chance was Michael Brown’s 22nd minute free-kick which Hislop did well to palm away. Kanoute sent a 20 yard half-volley inches wide in the 28th minute and Brown saw his volley from the edge of the area bundled away by Hislop after 34 minutes as we continued the pressure. Despite all this, we nearly went a goal down in the 38th minute when Berger ran onto a through-ball from Bosvelt and homed in on Robinson’s goal. Berger shot hard and low to Robinson’s right, but our keeper pushed it aside, thanks to his superb reflexes. As injury-time began, I was beginning to think that we wouldn’t have anything to show for our domination. Just at that moment, Noe Pamarot swung over a cross which Timothee Atouba and Primus challenged for. However both players missed the ball and Kanoute suddenly found the ball arriving in front of him. Kanoute stuck out a knee and bundled the ball past Hislop to put us 1-0 in front. Portsmouth barely had time to kick off before the referee blew for half-time and left us with our well-deserved lead.

The first 20 minutes of the second half produced only a low shot from Kanoute which Hislop palmed away for a corner, but I could see that Portsmouth were starting to get back into the game. After 69 minutes the Spurs defence gave too much time and space to Berger when he was 25 yards from goal and suddenly he unleashed one of his trademark left-footed drives which speared past Robinson and flew high into the net for the equaliser at 1-1. It didn’t appear to demoralise the team though, as the players fought straight back and retook the lead after 73 minutes. Mauricio Taricco’s long ball found Davies on the right wing and he laid a delightful first-time pass into the path of Kanoute just inside the box. The lanky striker took a touch to steady himself. Then, as Hislop charged out, Kanoute rolled the ball though his legs to put us back in front at 2-1. The team couldn’t hold on to the lead for the second time in the match though as substitute Pericard headed in Kamara’s cross after 78 minutes to tie things up at 2-2. After that we had to rely on Robinson to push away Berger’s low shot in the 83rd minute to maintain the status quo. In the end the match finished up as a 2-2 draw with both Karen and I agreeing it was a case of 2 points dropped rather than a point gained.

Portsmouth 2 Berger 69, Pericard 78

Tottenham 2 Kanoute 45, 73

Portsmouth: Hislop, Primus, de Zeeuw, Stefanovic, Bosvelt (Duffy), Faye, Mezague, Taylor, Berger, Riordan (Kamara), Fuller (Pericard).

Tottenham: Robinson, Pamarot (Mabizela), Naybet, King, Taricco, Davies, Brown (Redknapp), Davis, Atouba, Silva Sousa (Mendes), Kanoute.

My MOM: Freddie Kanoute was dangerous all day and, with Defoe and Keane absent, he led the line with great responsibility.

Warning #1: Don’t ever stay at Upton’s B&B in Langdon Street, Portsmouth. It’s a goddam dump!!

Warning #2: Watch yourself with a randy girlfriend at the football. She won’t give you a moment’s peace to concentrate on the game!!

Next up: Tottenham v Bolton – White Hart Lane, London

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Premier League - 31st October 2004:

|1st | Liverpool | 12 | 9 | 2 | 1 | 20 | 4 | +16 | 29 |

|2nd | Chelsea | 11 | 7 | 4 | 0 | 26 | 7 | +19 | 25 |

|3rd | Arsenal | 11 | 8 | 0 | 3 | 23 | 11 | +12 | 24 |

|4th | Southampton | 12 | 6 | 3 | 3 | 20 | 13 | +7 | 21 |

|5th | Aston Villa | 12 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 19 | 13 | +6 | 19 |

|6th | Man Utd | 11 | 6 | 1 | 4 | 19 | 13 | +6 | 19 |

|7th | Tottenham | 12 | 4 | 7 | 1 | 17 | 11 | +6 | 19 |

|8th | Newcastle | 11 | 5 | 3 | 3 | 11 | 8 | +3 | 18 |

|9th | Charlton | 12 | 5 | 3 | 4 | 17 | 21 | -4 | 18 |

|10th | Birmingham | 12 | 4 | 5 | 3 | 17 | 13 | +4 | 17 |

|11th | Bolton | 12 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 16 | 17 | -1 | 16 |

|12th | Fulham | 11 | 4 | 3 | 4 | 12 | 12 | 0 | 15 |

|13th | Portsmouth | 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 18 | 25 | -7 | 13 |

|14th | West Brom | 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 9 | 16 | -7 | 13 |

|15th | Crystal Palace | 12 | 2 | 5 | 5 | 12 | 19 | -7 | 11 |

|16th | Everton | 11 | 2 | 4 | 5 | 19 | 26 | -7 | 10 |

|17th | Man City | 11 | 2 | 1 | 8 | 12 | 21 | -9 | 7 |

|18th | Blackburn | 11 | 1 | 3 | 7 | 10 | 19 | -9 | 6 |

|19th | Middlesbrough | 10 | 0 | 5 | 5 | 9 | 22 | -13 | 5 |

|20th | Norwich | 12 | 0 | 5 | 7 | 7 | 22 | -15 | 5 |

</pre>

With a record of 4-7-1 so far this year, I’m happy about the one defeat, but the seven draws are just too many. Only Chelsea (2nd) who are unbeaten and Liverpool (1st) with one defeat have a better record than Spurs when it comes to losses and look where those two sides are on the table. Thankfully we have got a home game against Bolton this weekend and that should ensure three points for the team. Bolton are in 11th place and, to be honest, I think that position flatters them. Sam Allardyce has done a good job cobbling together a workmanlike team, but they are never really ever going to be able to compete with the big teams from London, Manchester and Liverpool.

Saturday 6th November 2004:

Tottenham v Bolton – White Hart Lane, London

Karen and I watched as Bolton trotted out their standard 4-5-1 formation with just Bridges pushed forward as the lone striker. I was hoping to see Spurs really go at them, but strangely it was Bolton who looked the more attacking side, especially when Fadiga and Diouf quickly moved forward in the wide positions. Paul Robinson was busy for most of the first half. Firstly he blocked Diouf’s shot in the 15th minute after Okocha had sent the Senegalese forward clear of our defence. A couple of minutes later and the England number one was punching away a fierce drive by Okocha. Michael Brown had our first clear chance when he curled his 25 yard free-kick just a few inches over the cross bar in the 29th minute, but we just couldn’t seem to get to grips with Bolton. Only the cross bar saved us going a goal behind after 33 minutes when N’Gotty’s free-kick struck Sean Davis in the wall and then looped up invitingly for Diouf to send a header goalwards with Robinson totally wrong-footed from the initial free-kick. Luckily it struck the woodwork and Mbulelo Mabizela was able to hack the rebound away. Still, despite this, we had the chance to go in front in the 41st minute when Timothee Atouba cut inside N’Gotty on the left and homed in on Bolton’s goal. With his options covered in the middle, Atouba shot hard and low towards the near post and nearly caught Jaaskelainen unawares, but the Finnish keeper managed to block it with his legs. There were signs that we were finally getting into the match, but it was perhaps lucky that we were still tied 0-0 at the break.

It was a boring start to the second half and the only thing of note was a double substitution by both sides after 60 minutes which would end up having a significant bearing on the match. For Spurs, Jamie Redknapp and Jermain Defoe came on for Brown and Atouba whilst Bolton bought on Pedersen and Davies for Bridges and Fadiga. In the 67th minute, Gardner sparked a quick counter-attack for Bolton by finding Pedersen on the left wing. He dribbled forward before whipping in a cross to the near post where Davies leapt in front of the static Ledley King to head Bolton 1-0 in front. I couldn’t believe that we were a goal down to Bolton!! Almost immediately Redknapp played a ball into Freddie Kanoute’s feet, but he drove his shot straight at Jaaskelainen. Bolton fell back to defend their lead as Karen and I joined in the frantic calls for an equaliser by the Spurs supporters. Nothing was happening though, until the 89th minute when Kanoute got free on the right wing and drove the ball across the Bolton penalty area. The player that arrived at the far post was left-back Erik Edman and he sent a scorching half-volley flying towards the far post, only for Jaaskelainen to leap across his goal and turn the ball away for a corner. It was a match-saving effort and Bolton then held on to record a 1-0 win.

As we left White Hart Lane I told Karen that I wasn’t feeling too well and I would have to head home instead. In reality, I didn’t want to be seen in the company of a Spurs fan. I zipped my jacket up to the neck to hide the Spurs shirt that I was stupidly wearing, telling her that I was suddenly feeling the cold. She accepted my story and gave me a kiss on the cheek as she headed home and I went towards the tube station. As soon as she had gone, I nipped down a lane and removed the Tottenham jersey before shoving it in my daypack. I was already thinking ahead and planning how to get a new Bolton jersey before the Trotters next game.

Tottenham 0

Bolton 1 Davies 67

Tottenham: Robinson, Mabizela, Naybet, King, Edman, Davies, Brown (Defoe), Davis, Atouba (Redknapp), Kanoute, Keane (Silva Sousa).

Bolton: Jaaskelainen, N’Gotty, Jaidi, Rowe, Gardner, Diouf (Hunt), Ivan Campo, Okocha, Speed, Fadiga (Davies), Bridges (Pedersen).

My MOM: Gary Speed worked immensely hard in the midfield for us, chasing and closing down as well as creating chances.

I just love it when: We put one over a pack of those arrogant twats from London. Magic!!

I wonder what: Karen will think about having a Bolton supporter as a boyfriend. Worried!!

Next up: Southampton v Bolton – St Mary’s Stadium, Southampton

• 2 weeks later...

It was just as well that there has been a three week break between matches for Bolton. International fixtures and the rescheduling of the Chelsea match (in order for them to play their delayed League Cup tie against Manchester City) meant that I had 21 days between games, but I needed that time to get Karen’s brothers off my back after I broke up with their sister. It hadn’t been a pretty time at all. Karen couldn’t understand that I needed to watch Bolton instead of Tottenham and, being a typical female, she had figured it must have been her fault. I tried to explain that it wasn’t her, but she wouldn’t listen. She said that if I wanted to follow Bolton it must be because I really wanted to break up with her. It was all so stupid and silly. I was sure mixed-club relationships could work, but she was a sobbing mess by then. I threw my hands up in exasperation and stormed off, only to have two of Karen’s brothers round at my flat a few hours later banging on the door and threatening to do me over. It took two weeks of looking over my shoulder before I felt comfortable walking in the street again. Those four lads are a bit nasty, but they aren’t the smartest tools in the shed, so I figure they have probably forgotten about it by now.

Saturday 27th November 2004:

Southampton v Bolton – St Mary’s Stadium, Southampton

Southampton came out with all guns blazing and pinned us back for the first 20 minutes. Fernandes was particularly causing trouble on our right wing, giving young Michael Gillan a real run-around at left-back. Twice he tested Jussi Jaaskelainen with shots that were luckily aimed straight at our goalkeeper. The pressure reached its peak in the 21st minute when Oakley fired in from 25 yards and the ball cannoned back off our cross bar. Finally we managed a shot of our own in the 32nd minute when Ricardo Gardner lashed the ball about three feet wide from the edge of the Southampton box. The Saints responded with a raid from Phillips which saw him drive the ball across our six yard box, although thankfully there were no opposition forwards on hand to knock the cross home. I felt that we were dodging bullets and one would soon find its mark. No sooner had I thought that then Lundekvam released Beattie with a long ball down the right wing and he cut inside before squaring the ball for Phillips to sidefoot home at the far post. We were 1-0 down after 36 minutes. There were no further chances in the remaining ten minutes and I breathed a sigh of relief when referee Mike Riley signalled an end to the first half. Bolton needed to regroup and step things up a notch if they were going to have a chance in the second half.

Fernandes switched over to the left wing for the start of the second half and Bruno N’Gotty seemed to have as much trouble with him as Gillan did in the first half. 52 minutes had passed when Fernandes sent an inch-perfect pass inside the full-back and Phillips ran onto it before calmly stroking the ball past Jaaskelainen from 10 yards to put Southampton 2-0 in front. Before I had too much time to panic, we earned ourselves a penalty and the chance to get back into the game. Gardner’s long cross had been headed partly clear by Lundekvam and Feli Condessa handballed just inside the box as he attempted to chest the ball down. Stelios Giannakopoulos took the spot-kick and stroked it low into the bottom left-hand corner to make it 2-1 after 54 minutes. We were now back in the game, but Jaaskelainen had to deny Saints substitute Prutton with a fine save to keep it that way. However the replacement wouldn’t be denied and Prutton made it 3-1 in the 62nd minute when he sweetly volleyed home Phillips headed pass from 14 yards range. Giannakopoulos was really coming into the game on the right wing and he looked to be our best chance of salvaging something with his tricky running and fine passing. Jay Jay Okocha blasted a fine pass from our Greek winger over the bar before Kevin Nolan did much better when Giannakopoulos set him up in the 79th minute. A quick break had seen Stelios reach the bye-line before he pulled the ball back for Nolan to crash the ball home from 8 yards out and make it 3-2. Big Sam had the boys pouring forward now and I thought we had equalised when Stelios sidefooted home from Gardner’s cross after 84 minutes, but the Jamaican wing-back was ruled offside in the build-up. Radhi Jaidi had come on for Florent Laville earlier in the half and the Tunisian centre-half was inexplicably left unmarked in the 86th minute as N’Gotty took a free-kick. Jaidi was left free to control the ball before he blasted it past keeper Smith to pull us level at 3-3. It had been a stirring comeback and it showed that this Bolton team certainly had some guts.

Southampton 3 Phillips 36, 52, Prutton 62

Bolton 3 Giannakopoulos 54 (pen), Nolan 79, Jaidi 86

Southampton: Smith, Telfer, Lundekvam, Jakobsson, Le Saux, Fernandes (Higginbotham), Feli Condessa, Oakley, McCann (Prutton), Beattie, Phillips (Best).

Bolton: Jaaskelainen, N’Gotty, Laville (Pedersen), Ben-Haim (Jaidi), Gillan, Giannakopoulos, Ivan Campo, Okocha, Speed, Gardner, Davies (Nolan).

My MOM: Stelios Giannakopoulos was in brilliant rampaging form on the right wing and he sparked our comeback.

Possibility #1: UEFA Cup football for Bolton next season. Wahey!!

Possibility #2: That my flat may have been fire-bombed by Karen’s brothers while I have been at the game today. Uh-oh!!

Next up: Bolton v Portsmouth – Reebok Stadium, Bolton

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Premier League - 30th November 2004:

|1st | Liverpool | 14 | 11 | 2 | 1 | 25 | 5 | +20 | 35 |

|2nd | Arsenal | 13 | 10 | 0 | 3 | 28 | 12 | +16 | 30 |

|3rd | Chelsea | 13 | 8 | 5 | 0 | 28 | 8 | +20 | 29 |

|4th | Newcastle | 15 | 8 | 4 | 3 | 17 | 9 | +8 | 28 |

|5th | Southampton | 15 | 7 | 4 | 4 | 25 | 19 | +6 | 25 |

|6th | Fulham | 15 | 7 | 4 | 4 | 20 | 16 | +4 | 25 |

|7th | Tottenham | 15 | 5 | 8 | 2 | 22 | 15 | +7 | 23 |

|8th | Birmingham | 15 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 22 | 17 | +5 | 23 |

|9th | Charlton | 15 | 6 | 3 | 6 | 18 | 24 | -6 | 21 |

|10th | Man Utd | 14 | 6 | 2 | 6 | 26 | 22 | +4 | 20 |

|11th | Bolton | 14 | 5 | 5 | 4 | 20 | 20 | 0 | 20 |

|12th | Aston Villa | 15 | 5 | 4 | 6 | 20 | 18 | +2 | 19 |

|13th | Portsmouth | 15 | 5 | 4 | 6 | 24 | 30 | -6 | 19 |

|14th | Everton | 15 | 3 | 6 | 6 | 24 | 31 | -7 | 15 |

|15th | West Brom | 15 | 3 | 5 | 7 | 10 | 20 | -10 | 14 |

|16th | Blackburn | 14 | 3 | 3 | 8 | 14 | 22 | -8 | 12 |

|17th | Crystal Palace | 14 | 2 | 5 | 7 | 13 | 24 | -11 | 11 |

|18th | Man City | 13 | 2 | 2 | 9 | 13 | 24 | -11 | 8 |

|19th | Middlesbrough | 14 | 0 | 7 | 7 | 12 | 28 | -16 | 7 |

|20th | Norwich | 15 | 0 | 6 | 9 | 9 | 26 | -17 | 6 |

</pre>

There are a few teams in strange positions, BoN - Southampton, Fulham and Manchester United in particular.

================================================

I’ve just got to have a gripe about those people who criticise Big Sam Allardyce’s preference for a 4-5-1 formation. Honestly, it’s just the same as Chelsea are playing under Jose Mourinho and you don’t hear them getting labelled as dull and boring. What with Stelios Giannakopoulos and Ricardo Gardner pushing forward just like Robben and Duff do, and Jay Jay Okocha doing a far better job of attacking from midfield than Lampard, it really is the same thing from the two teams. One thing is for sure – it will all be too much for Portsmouth on Saturday.

Saturday 4th December 2004:

Bolton v Portsmouth – Reebok Stadium, Bolton

We charged straight onto the offensive against Portsmouth with Jay Jay Okocha and Kevin Nolan both firing in early shots that just skimmed over the cross bar. It was Tal Ben-Haim who made the opening goal, interchanging passes with Gary Speed before crossing for Nolan to ghost in at the near post and head past Hislop after 15 minutes. Just a few minutes later and Speed burst forward from the midfield before sliding the ball sideways to an accompanying runner. It was Okocha who took up the pass and he strode into the area to drill a low shot past Hislop. Bolton were now 2-0 up after just 19 minutes – who said we couldn’t play attractive attacking football? The only Pompey player who was troubling us was Kamara. He’d already had a couple of shots that went wide before he was the recipient of a fine though-ball from Cisse. Kamara cut in from the right side to collect the pass and then delicately chip the ball over the advancing Jaaskelainen. It was now 2-1 after 34 minutes and the brakes had been put on our attacking charge.

It was Stelios Giannakopoulos who looked to have the best chance at the start of the second half. A flowing move that had involved Speed at several points ended with the Greek winger having the space and time to line up a shot. Giannakopoulos struck it powerfully, but it crashed against the far post and rebounded to safety. When Ricardo Gardner dragged another good chance wide of the Portsmouth goal after 63 minutes, I started to worry. I could see that our 2-1 lead wasn’t very safe and I think that the players felt just as nervous as well. Taylor and Faye cut the right side of our defence to pieces in the 74th minute and set up Stefanovic for a crisp low shot which Jaaskelainen did well to smother when it came through a pack of players. My nerves weren’t helped by the efforts of Diouf and Nolan with 10 minutes to go when they both decided to hammer shots into the body of Hislop after finding themselves one-on-one with the Portsmouth keeper. Thankfully N’Gotty and Rowe were on top of their games in the final few minutes as those two defenders snuffed out a couple of very promising Pompey raids. In the end our two early goals had been enough to see off the visitors, even though they had managed to score one of their own. I’d be happy to take a 2-1 win like that every match, but I’m not sure how my ticker would handle the strain.

Bolton 2 Nolan 15, Okocha 19

Portsmouth 1 Kamara 34

Bolton: Jaaskelainen, N’Gotty, Jaidi (Laville), Rowe, Ben-Haim (Davies), Giannakopoulos (Diouf), Nolan, Okocha, Speed, Gardner, Pedersen.

Portsmouth: Hislop, Primus, Stefanovic, Short, Bosvelt (Duffy), Faye, Cisse, Berger, Mezague (Taylor), Kamara, Lua Lua (Swayne).

My MOM: Gary Speed once again proved what an astute purchase he was by Big Sam and why Newcastle were crazy to let him go.

I’m enjoying: Wearing my super-cool “Jay Jay†sunglasses. Lovely!!

I’m annoyed: About what British Rail charges me to travel to Bolton from London. Daylight robbery!!

Next up: Bolton v West Brom – Reebok Stadium, Bolton

Thanks Harleqin icon14.gif

Phone calls from my brother have been few and far between recently, but I got one during the week. He’s adopted a sarcastic tone of voice when he rings me now. Hello mate, who are we supporting this week? he starts off with. Bolton, I reply and I am rewarded with a guffaw. I then have to listen to him rabbiting on about how Chelsea is miles better than anyone else in the Premier League. Fourteen games unbeaten this season with a 10-4-0 record and we’re about to add to that with our traditional victory at White Hart Lane against Spurs on Sunday, so he tells me. Just keep an eye over your shoulder for Bolton, I warn him. We’ll knock over West Brom on Saturday, no problems, then we’ll be right on your arse, I continue. He lets out a hearty laugh and says At least you get right behind your club, mate, no matter who they are. But Bolton? C’mon, you really are losing it. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – he’s a cócky little shît!!

Saturday 11th December 2004:

Bolton v West Brom – Reebok Stadium, Bolton

This was quite definitely the poorest game in terms of goal-scoring chances that I have attended so far this season. There was nothing of note in the first half hour and that part of the match was only enlivened by the skilful wing play of Ricardo Gardner. He roamed up and down the left wing like he owned that side of the pitch. Goodness knows what Haas – the West Brom right-sided wing-back – was doing because he was nowhere to be seen near Gardner at any time. The Jamaican produced some fine passes and some delightful crosses that his team-mates didn’t always use to their best advantage. Kevin Davies wasted a glorious headed opportunity after 29 minutes when he skyed his attempt from Gardner’s cross. When Stelios Giannakopoulos saw his free-kick deflected away for a corner in the 32nd minute, it was Gardner who went over to the right side to take an in-swinger. The ball was floated in and Kevin Nolan rose high to send a looping header into the top corner over the flat-footed Kanu who was guarding the near post. Having gone 1-0 down, West Brom responded with their first (and only) chance of the match. Gaardsoe’s long ball fell kindly at the feet of Dobie, but the striker hit his shot straight at Jaaskelainen from 12 yards.

The second half was a carbon copy of the first. Nothing of note occurred until the 72nd minute, apart from the sensible substitution of the hapless Haas with new boy Contra. The Romanian international found Gardner just as difficult to track and was unable to stop the wing-back from providing Jay Jay Okocha with a pass that the Nigerian crashed against the West Brom post. A couple of minutes later and another in-swinging Gardner corner from the right led to the second goal. Okocha’s header was scrambled off the line by Contra and the clearance went as far as the dee on the edge of the penalty area. Lurking there was Ivan Campo and the Spaniard volleyed the ball through a crowd of players and off Johnsen’s body to make it 2-0. After that the only chance was a Les Ferdinand header that found the side-netting with 5 minutes to go. Well, we got the three points and there were a couple of goals, but it certainly wasn’t the type of match you’d want to go to every week. Still though, Bolton are 6th after this match and our star is on the rise.

Bolton 2 Nolan 32, Ivan Campo 75

West Brom 0

Bolton: Jaaskelainen, N’Gotty, Laville, Ben-Haim (Ivan Campo), Gillan (Rowe), Giannakopoulos, Nolan, Okocha, Speed, Gardner, Davies (Ferdinand).

West Brom: Johnsen, Haas (Contra), Gaardsoe, Moore, Scimeca, Clement, Koumas, Farinos, Johnson, Kanu (Gera), Dobie (Earnshaw).

My MOM: Ricardo Gardner was twice as good as anyone else on the pitch today and gave two opponents the run-around.

Can we play against #1: West Brom every week. It’s a guaranteed 3 points!!

Can we play against #2: Kanu every week. Apparently he used to be good!!

Next up: Manchester United v Bolton – Old Trafford, Manchester

I'm liking this story: WOnder who'll you be by the end???

BTW, if you do this again, you should be able to end up changing division as well as team through FA Cup, League Cup etc. You would start as a giant like Liverpool and end up with a bunch of nobodies like Hartlepool (sorry to offend both you Hartlepool fans)

Cheers Living_Legend and beanochris. icon14.gif

I was chatting on an internet forum during the week as I have found myself doing in recent times since I have been following the Trotters. I was actually on the official Bolton Wanderers web-site and I got talking to a fellow with the username of Tal Ben-Haim. Now I’m sorry to say this, but for a so-called Bolton fan, he had a pretty pïss-poor attitude to following the club. I remembered him from a few weeks earlier when he had been cautioning over-confidence before our home game with Portsmouth. We’d won that game 2-1 and had played some brilliant football in the first half, but he still wasn’t convinced that we had the team to challenge for a place in Europe next season. Anyway, I was on-line again on Thursday evening and Tal Ben-Haim logs in and off he goes again on his “oh dear, oh me, oh my†spiel, this time because we are playing away at Manchester United on Sunday. I tell you, I couldn’t stomach the weak bugger’s ramblings any more. I gave him a right serve, telling him in no uncertain terms how he wasn’t a true Bolton fan and how he needed to be more parochial like me. My language got a bit too colourful in the end and the moderator ended up suspending me for two weeks. Still I’m glad that stupid sod got a cuff around the ears from a true Bolton fan.

Sunday 19th December 2004:

Manchester United v Bolton – Old Trafford, Manchester

Going to Old Trafford is always a daunting occasion, but we’ve had some good results there in recent times and our current form is excellent. El-Hadji Diouf was playing up front today and he won us a free-kick in the opening minute. Stelios Giannakopoulos curled it around the wall and Howard was lucky to get a hand to it and parry it at the last moment. After 4 minutes Manchester United sprung a classic counter-attack on us and Gary Neville sent Smith on the chase for a long pass. Smith reached it just as it made the bye-line and he hit a first-time cross to the far post where Giggs was unmarked and he volleyed it past Jussi Jaaskelainen to make it 1-0. When Kleberson sent in a wickedly curling shot 5 minutes later that Jaaskelainen brilliantly turned away for a corner, I was starting to worry for our chances. However Gary Speed and Kevin Nolan started to get a grip in midfield and that got Jay Jay Okocha seeing a bit more of the ball, so my panic subsided. Indeed, we nearly had an equaliser in the 30th minute when a great passing move through midfield saw Diouf sent free through the middle. The Senegalese forward isn’t the most clinical of finishers and this time he dragged his shot well wide of Howard’s goal. Ricardo Gardner showed Diouf how to get a shot on target when he broke in from the left after 35 minutes, but Howard got a lucky foot to the shot to deflect it away via the post. As half-time approached I felt that we had definitely dragged ourselves back into the game, but Kleberson gave us a warning of United’s power when he headed a Giggs corner flush against the cross bar a minute before the break.

Diouf definitely didn’t have his shooting boots with him today as he blasted Okocha’s pass over the cross bar from 12 yards early in the second half. Giannakopoulos showed Diouf how to keep your shots low when he broke into the box from the right after 55 minutes, but Howard was having a blinder by now and he saved well low to his right. Diouf paid for his profligacy in front of goal when he was replaced by Henrik Pedersen soon after. Our defence was playing quite well and we had kept United to only a couple of long range efforts throughout the majority of the second half. The arrival of Keane for Kleberson gave United some new vigour and the Irishman’s 20 yard shot after 73 minutes sent Jaaskelainen scampering across his goal to bundle it away for a corner. Keane had reinvigorated the Manchester United attack and his work sent Giggs away after 83 minutes. United had players lining up in the middle for the cross and Giggs picked out Scholes who thumped a header against the post before Rooney nudged the rebound straight back into Jaaskelainen’s arms. As time ran away from us, United did enough to preserve their 1-0 lead and they ended up taking all three points on offer.

As the crowd poured out of Old Trafford I stayed behind and savoured the sweet taste of victory in the Theatre Of Dreams. It was such an intoxicating feeling to know that I was a supporter of such a feared and respected team as Manchester United. And like all good United fans do, I then made my way to the club shop to spend my hard-earned readies on yet another piece of merchandise – in this case, a new club jersey emblazoned with number eleven and the name of Ryan Giggs.

Manchester United 1 Giggs 4

Bolton 0

Manchester United: Howard, Neville.P, Brown, Ferdinand, Heinze (O’Shea), Fletcher, Scholes, Kleberson (Keane), Giggs, Smith (Cristiano Ronaldo), Rooney.

Bolton: Jaaskelainen, N’Gotty, Ivan Campo (Rowe), Laville (Jaidi), Ben-Haim, Giannakopoulos, Nolan, Okocha, Speed, Gardner, Diouf (Pedersen).

My MOM: Ryan Giggs, just ahead of Tim Howard, as the evergreen winger showed that he still has many years at the top in him.

Tourism note #1: Visit Manchester – the city is far more delightful than London. Enjoyable!!

Tourism note #2: Visit Manchester – the people are so friendly and easygoing. Pleasurable!!

Next up: West Brom v Manchester United – The Hawthorns, West Bromwich

Looking back over the season to date, I realised that tonight’s match against West Brom would be the fourth time that I had seen them perform so far. In each of the previous three games they had struck me as being one of the poorest teams that had ever been in the Premier League. Yet when I look at the table I see them sitting in 15th place and holding a decent lead of 5 points over the first of the four teams below them. Someone isn’t obviously taking advantage of West Brom’s ineptness. Well, it doesn’t matter too much to me because there is no way that the mighty Manchester United will drop any points against Albion. If they do (and that is nigh on impossible, believe me), then you’ll be seeing my bum as I do a lap around The Hawthorns.

Wednesday 22nd December 2004:

West Brom v Manchester United – The Hawthorns, West Bromwich

I was a bit disappointed when I saw that my favourite player Ryan Giggs wasn’t in the starting line-up today. But that disappointment was short-lived when I saw the way that the team tore into West Brom. Roy Keane headed just over in the 4th minute and Kleberson stung Johnsen’s hands with a vicious shot after 5 minutes as we quickly set up camp in the West Brom half. In the 7th minute Gabriel Heinze took a quick throw that found Kleberson in space and the Brazilian sent a precise cross into the box for Keane to head home at the near post and put us 1-0 up. After Cristiano Ronaldo had terrorised the West Brom left and set up Rooney for a chance that went just wide, the Portuguese winger swapped over to attack the right side of our opponent’s defence. He’d only been over there for a few minutes when he produced some lovely trickery to set up Louis Saha for a chance. Saha took the pass down and chipped a brilliant effort over Johnsen from the edge of the area to make it 2-0 after 24 minutes. The chances dropped away for a while after that and there was just a wildly dipping free-kick from Cristiano Ronaldo that brushed the post after 41 minutes to show for our continued dominance of the first half.

Giggs came on for Heinze at half-time and Quinton Fortune slotted into the left-back position to allow the Welshman to take up his normal role. We seemed to lack a cutting edge in the second half and the chances of our two-goal lead being extended didn’t look too likely. That said there was still no way that Wes Brom was going to get back into the match. We just shut them right out. Giggs did set up one decent chance with a lovely cross which Keane met with a diving header, but the skipper’s effort went inches wide of the post. Late on Cristiano Ronaldo bought a good save out of Johnsen with another free-kick, but I was resigning myself to having just a 2-0 win to celebrate. Another free-kick was won in injury-time as Rooney was fouled 25 yards out from goal. West Brom were slowly getting their wall together when the referee indicated that the free-kick could be taken. It was Rio Ferdinand of all people who stepped up and he sublimely curled the ball around the wall and into the top corner leaving Johnsen grasping at thin air. It was a cracking way for the defender to notch his first-ever goal for the Red Devils and it gave the final result a much more definitive look. A 3-0 win was no more than we deserved.

West Brom 0

Manchester United 3 Keane 7, Saha 24, Ferdinand 90

West Brom: Johnsen, Haas, Purse, Gaardsoe, Wallwork (Robinson), Sakiri, Johnson, Farinos (Greening), Koumas, Kanu, Hulse (Earnshaw).

Manchester United: Howard, Neville.G, Brown (O’Shea), Ferdinand, Heinze (Giggs), Cristiano Ronaldo, Keane, Kleberson, Fortune, Rooney, Saha (Scholes).

My MOM: Roy Keane was at his snarling and inspirational best as he protected the defence, dominated the midfield and was prominent in attack.

High-point: Rio Ferdinand’s free-kick would have put United’s former free-kick maestro David Beckham to shame. Fabulous!!

Low-point: Only seeing Giggsy get half a game. Come on Sir Alex!!

Next up: Manchester United v Charlton – Old Trafford, Manchester

Archived