Lack of crosses ("lopsided" 4231)

I've recently started to try a 4231 at ManCity (spring 2010) in the following configuration: flat 4, 2DMC, AML, 2AMC, 1FC.

The reason for this specific formation is that I have several natural DMCs (Camacho, Tymoschuk, Zucculini; if needed Fazio, Demichelis) and only a handful natural MCs (though many good ones as well). I like setting up players at their natural position, you see.

As to why I'm using 2AMC and 1 winger instead of two wingers and 1 AMC or 3AMCs: I have good left wingers (Ashley Young, J.M. Mata) but my right winger capacity is not of a sufficiently high class (SWP is the only decent right winger I have and Young is better on the left).

Result is (also due to a somewhat conservative mentality) great possession football between AMC and DMC lines, but few chances. The main problem I believe I have is that my flanks don't produce crosses at all. They get into a crossing position often enough as Mata/Young from the left and Srna from DR (or my right AMC) will dive into the empty space on the right flank and get into a decent position with the ball. They just don't cross the ball. They pass a player and get some clear space for a pass / cross, and instead of doing that, they keep running, either into another player or just running the ball across the goal line.

Annoying. Since I've also taken to watching full matches at high speed, I feel confident enough to say the following. It's likely that the winger wants to cross the ball, but can't find enough suitable targets. Apparently, the AMCs don't present themselves enough and the lone FC is not good enough.

I've tested this a little by playing the second half of a game in a more traditional 4-4-2-like formation (2DMC and MR/ML) and lo and behold! More crosses are attempted (though they still don't complete most of the time) all of a sudden. Not just because both flanks now regularly have players ready to receive a ball to cross, but also because the opposite winger will then wander into the area as a possible recipient too.

Have others experienced similar "insights"? Have you found a way to make an AMC supporting a FC come forwards to receive crosses?

I had the same problem with my 442, my wingers were in crossing position often enough, but would usually run with the ball along the byline, or try a back pass to the midfielders.

What I did with some success, was reducing run with ball to normal and turn off through balls for my wide players.

For the attacking mc, I gave him a free role, this put him in the box way more often, even on mixed forward runs

This caused the wingers to cross when they reached the byline, instead of going on and on and on......

Not really sure if it would work within your setup, but you could give it a try :)

Increase mentality of one of your AMC's to get him higher up the pitch. You could give him a free role too.

And I would suggest moving Srna to WBR. Set his cross ball to often, run with ball to mixed, forward runs to often/mixed, passing to direct.

Try a combination of these, but do them seperately to see results then combine what works:

1. Cross: Often

2. CF: Low if still not crossing.

3. Cross to: Target man and Target man supply: to feet (do NOT tick 'use target man' box)

4. high normal or direct passing on wingers.

5. Mixed or rare RWB

A combination or even all those 'should' see a significant change.

Obviously its your game, but I would still play Young on the right and have him as a goal scoring Winger with a crossing winger on the left. In my save game, his right foot is stronger, so technicaly, he should be better on the right.

Archived