Struggle against 9.3

Is it just me or has this latest patch really had an effect on certain breeds of tactical setups?

In my case, I have absolutely no trouble winning games at home with whatever formation I choose to apply - mainly, I dictate play using a central deep-lying playmaker, with five options for him to pass to, namely a box-to-box hardman next to him, two strikers who are good on the ball, a winger/forward and a winger who can finish both on their natural sides but interchanging on occasion (winger-forward against attacking fullback or short fullback, for instance.)

This basic idea, however, only sees moderate success when playing away from home against teams of equivalent quality or teams that are better than mine. I used to have no problem facing such teams, as I'd worked out a defensive 4-4-2 with two fast strikers, two creative midfielders and two hardmen that worked a treat, winning the ball in the first third, playing it to the creative men and then sliding a pass in front of a charging striker. Alternately, my tertiary setup was a 433 where I had one playmaker in the middle next to two hardmen and another on the wing, creating a setup where I just had to get the ball to one of the two playmakers, and they'd either launch a pass or slide one, again with two men working in from the channels to have a pot on goal.

Problem is, this latest patch seems to have 'slowed' a player running with the ball. So, with either of my run onto ball strategies, my playmakers would make the pass and then... my strikers would be caught and tackled within two strides. Two strides. It doesn't seem to matter who they are who the opposition centrebacks are, they invariably get caught very, very quickly despite recieiving the ball a good length or three (5 to 10 real world yards?) in front of their man.

Due to this same issue, my wingers can't beat a man. Oh, they touch the ball past a man and hare towards the byline, but then get caught. Crosses? Completion is only about 10%, and I don't mean because the opposition defenders head the ball away... all my strikers are above six foot; two at 6'1, another at 6'3 and the last at 6'5. The tracking defender always catches up. The only way I really complete a cross is for the winger to lay the ball back to an untracked fullback.

Is it just me or are other people experiencing this issue? Earlier, I just had to cope with my strikers not converting all their one v one chances. Now? I can't remember the last time I've had a breakaway goal? In fact, I do. It was before I patched.

So, related question:

How the hell do you win an away game against a good side now? It's not that I don't, it's just that it's pretty hard now and there isn't a foolproof method.

Off I go to download someone's tactics on here!

How the hell do you win an away game against a good side now? It's not that I don't, it's just that it's pretty hard now and there isn't a foolproof method.

Well, there shouldnt be one, should it?

Any existent foolproof tactic would only show that the system is still flawed.

Okay, maybe I came across wrong. The point is not that it's impossible to play against good teams on their own paddock; that's not the case. The point I was trying to get across is that a particular method of doing so, IE exploiting space behind a pushed-up, attacking side, using quick through balls to running players, doesn't seem to work anymore. However, there's a bit more about this in the 'bugs' thread, so I was wrong to post here in the first place. Still, it'd be interesting to hear opinions on defeating this ME quirk, whether it is a bug or not.

From my experience so far on 9.3 (about 10 seasons), very defensive mentality systems just don't cut it anymore. I used to rotate 3 tactics of 4-4-2, defensive, normal, attack, all more or less in tune with the TTF pointers.

Now I just have a normal and an attacking tactic, both with team mentality bar the fcd, who has a mentality of team -3.

Normal = normal mentality, balanced setup all over the team, great away or home against the bigger sides

Attack= attacking mentality, more through balls and creative freedom, more risk all over including roaming fullbacks, good at home or away when chasing a goal.

The defensive countertactic just didn't cut it anymore, you get heaps of possession due to players not taking any risks, but they don't take the opportunities to counter either.

Usually i would see a 65-35% posession in my favour, but at most 1-3 shots, and all being long shots from players set to long shots rarely.

After the 9.3 patch, playing early in behind the opposition's defense usually buys you a throw in or a corner kick, but since I don't use the corner cheat, this gives me little :rolleyes:.

This is probably an effect of reducing the 1 on 1 chances that were dominant in 9.1 and 9.2

Archived