The Better Half - TTF inspired Tactical Sets - 9.3.0

TBH,

my favorite formations is 4-1-2-2-1 with wingers (the same as your version) but since i manage lower league teams,

I forgot, I am currently doing a different 41221 with emphasis on the wide players. It more in the lines of how Man city is playing( in FM, not irl;)), using high tempo and even the Attack home version with the Counter box ticked.. Maybe that set would suit your team better.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I forgot, I am currently doing a different 41221 with emphasis on the wide players. It more in the lines of how Man city is playing( in FM, not irl;)), using high tempo and even the Attack home version with the Counter box ticked.. Maybe that set would suit your team better.

Yeah it could be.

My view is those 3 up front being a pain for defenders, with the ST being supported by very aggressive wingers aiming mostly at goal coming from the side to center. I really don't care much about winger's sideline crossing balls to a lone striker, i rather have them passing short to ST (doing those 2 on 2 you mention on your 4-1-2-2-1) or to someone arriving late at the box after they flicked to center.

All these playing should be supplied by a "maestro" playing center midfield, distributing balls either to ST or wingers.

This would be my ideal of playing upfront.

I think maybe a usual 4-2-3-1 could do it also but from my experience using it, i have two issues:

- My AMC doesn't get much in play (that's why i want him to start at MC position, to get away from marking and have more time/space to create)

- My defense allows many goals since i also like to have offensive FB's.

That's why I was wondering about 1 DMC just destroying to help my CB's and getting my "maestro" to Midfield line.

Attacking versions would be something like

---------ST----------

W-------------------W

------MC---Maestro---

---------DMC---------

FB----DC---DC------FB

while defensive ones would be

---------ST----------

W-------------------W

--------Maestro-------

------DMC---DMC-----

FB----DC---DC------FB

That midfield triangle should be the heart of my tactic, playing offensive or defensive.

Wingers should act more like Forwards aiming at goal while FB's should do the crossing if playing aggressive versions.

That's my vision :D

I've failed so far because:

- I'm a n00b and i can't set it right.

- I'm not getting the right players for the spots.

- I'm don't understand tempo/width, or i can't seem to get them right. I believe you can attack playing slow tempo... but 90% of tactics I've seen have high tempo...

- Too many variables for a guy like me to process while developing a tactic from scratch.

I also strongly believe you shouldn't give a fish to a poor man. You should teach him how to do the fishing :)

So TBH, what tactic do you think it should be my starting point in this quest of mine?

Cheers.

@xpassuncax

Firstly, I would try to create a Standard tactic that is Balanced in a way that, even if you chose it for a match were you should have gone more attacking/defensive, you are not to be punished immediately.

Secondly I would create a second tactic that is more attacking and thirdly, a more defensive version. I would leave some settings on team and this for a reason: each and every version should be able to tweak into a slow and - quick tempo version. So basically the more defensive version could be used as a defensive possession based tactic when using slow tempo, but if raising the tempo, and raise the team mentality, only effecting some players, raising passing into a more direct,only affecting the defenders, it will turn into a "Counter", to exploit the fact that the AI leaves gaps down the flanks when they attack. etc etc etc.

I think you should try the formation you suggested, even if I am most uncertain about the regista in midfield for this tactic.

Suggested settings for the standard 41221

• Use the "set to" function for each and every player
  • Put all players on Team mentality/closing down/passing/ creative freedom
  • Team mentality of normal - last notch of normal
  • Width = Closing down = Tempo, , set it to about 12
  • Set d-line in-between the mentality and the closing down
  • Use 3:rd notch of mixed in passing
  • Consider giving the Fbs a more direct passing style

Play a match in full and see how they behavior, look at the distance they cover, passing completion, key passes, Interceptions etc etc. Can you see any patern ?

Ok TBH thanks for the advice.

I don't want to hijack your thread so I'll leave my questions and start a "help me" thread after I've made some significant progress with tactic.

My last couple of questions tho (hehe) since you have the know how.

- When designing a tactic from scratch would you suggest a top team, mid-table or lower team for testing purposes?

Its really a hard question for me. Top teams have players that can achieve results because they're simply good, while lower teams can affect the result negatively because they lack options overall. I don't want to abandon a great concept because i do not have the players to execute it, nor do I want to insist in a concept that only works because I had Maradona-esque players doing it. Yeah, yeah I bet most readers would now say go for the mid-table one... Hmm, then I'll risk suffering both evils :p

- Should I tick playmaker box or use a semi-playmaker (semi-targetman style)?

- Is it really that different match engine wise, having the same DMC/MC player in DMC or MCd position?

I've noticed you updated your sets to final versions. Before I'll start my own, I will play a bit with your's and grab some insights :D

Thanks again, and sorry for the semi-hijack :)

Here are som answers.

X - I don't want to hijack your thread so I'll leave my questions and start a "help me" thread after I've made some significant progress with tactic.

TBH - No problem hijack away I say;)

X - When designing a tactic from scratch would you suggest a top team, mid-table or lower team for testing purposes?

Its really a hard question for me. Top teams have players that can achieve results because they're simply good, while lower teams can affect the result negatively because they lack options overall. I don't want to abandon a great concept because i do not have the players to execute it, nor do I want to insist in a concept that only works because I had Maradona-esque players doing it. Yeah, yeah I bet most readers would now say go for the mid-table one... Hmm, then I'll risk suffering both evils :

TBH - I depends on why you are making the tactic. If you are trying to make a tactic that players quick, direct and on the counter, its essential that you have the squad for it. Some players are better suited, and I am not talking about the quality( like CA, PA) but about specific competence versus flaws. But to answer your question, It better to be a middle team as you will be facing teams playing attacking and defensive against you, rather then just one of the styles if being op notch or relegation candidate

X - Should I tick playmaker box or use a semi-playmaker (semi-targetman style)?

TBH - If you want the build up to be channelled trough him , then yes. Just make sure when using a playmaker, that you do not have too many other players that are given Hold Up ball or have a similar playing style, dictated by their ppm´s( like dwells on ball) and also, and most important that he can be trusted with the job. He will be your most important player

X - Is it really that different match engine wise, having the same DMC/MC player in DMC or MCd position?

TBH - It has nothing to do with the ME as such. You can put your playmaker anywhere, but using a deep lying playmaker has, the way I see it, many advantages. Firstly, he will have more space to operate in( given that the AI does not use 1 or 2 AMC) and for the AI to close him down, they will have to abandon their defensive positions, been drawn upwards in the field. He will also have more passing options and will almost never have to play with his back towards goal.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I learn more from your answers than from reading TT&F 10 times.

Not that TT&F is bad, which it's clearly not the case, but because they are really simple answers that I would need 2 hours reading to get them.

I've played CM since around 1994/5, don't even remember what version was back then :p

You plug a tactic, search for players and kabum... you're European Champion with a lower team in 2-3 seasons.

I got angry when CM developed to a more complex game and quit. (yeah yeah, I still love to find THE youngster/player, Tó Madeira anyone? )

I'm back to the series but i struggle with this new concept and all these sliders... meh change passing because it's raining, change formations because your play maker haven't brought his preferred boxers, change d-line because you CB had a bad lunch... LOL.

Now you can understand why all my n00b questions ;)

Anyway, off with my low I.Q. issues.

I'm going to start a long save, from bottom to top.

I will use your different tactical sets while I'm improving as team and as manager, and I'll try to learn what they do, how do players behave under certain instructions, what are the important stats for that role/position, etc.

From what I understand, 442-semiTM is the simplest formation to adapt, so I think I will start with it.

It must be the basic concept behind all your tactical approach since was your first and it's a 442, correct?

One suggestion I have.

You once had a comment in each set about what teams could use it and last I checked that comment was removed. Put it back :) and also had a little briefing on what it does. I realized that the 442-diamond relays on DMC-AMC combo off course but i didn't knew it needed a strong TM. I read about it somewhere in the middle of this thread.

Here I go full confident aiming to get Mourinho status. I've heard somewhere that Sir. Alex is worried already, and a few others announcing their retirement, because I have now a guru supporting me.

Unleash the dogs of war, xpassuncax is starting a new save.

I wish you all good luck ;)

Note to self: Nice played man. You've became a world class hijacker. Grats.

From what I understand, 442-semiTM is the simplest formation to adapt, so I think I will start with it.

It must be the basic concept behind all your tactical approach since was your first and it's a 442, correct?

One suggestion I have.

You once had a comment in each set about what teams could use it and last I checked that comment was removed. Put it back :).

I think it disappeared when i edited the post at FMB - were I obviously had forgotten to write it in the first place - and then copy-pasted it in to this forum. Its up now anyway, thanks !

As for the 442 semi target, if its the mother of my sets ?. Not really, but they are all from the same idea that I have have used from the start( started to play in fm08), that one needs slow and controlling versions(Control, Attack away and defensive ) as well as quicker and more direct*( Overload, attack home and counter) and also a middle version called Balanced

(* direct as in how the play is channelized rather then the passing)

Good luck with your journeyman game :thup:

Been using your 4-4-2 No TM and its been amazing for my Madrid side, Been winning big. If you have any time soon would it be alright if you could post some more examples of what tactics you use and when ?.. Like you did on the first page.

Found those very useful but a few more examples could be very handy for me ?.

Keep up the excellent work !

Been using your 4-4-2 No TM and its been amazing for my Madrid side, Been winning big. If you have any time soon would it be alright if you could post some more examples of what tactics you use and when ?.. Like you did on the first page.

Found those very useful but a few more examples could be very handy for me ?.

Keep up the excellent work !

It would love to do a "Happy XX Project " with a different team but the thing is, I have started my "career"game with Aston Villa and will probably keep playing with them. Just won the League after beating runner up City in the 37;th match of the season. I am going to use the Diamond set for the second season.

Is there any interest in me doing a " Happy Villains Project: Second season". If so, maybe I should post it in the same post( nr 2) as the happy hammer.

...How are you finding the d-line and width and above all, the closing down setting, to work in Spain ?. Are the pitches wide and long there, would one need to use the more cautious version more and play a little more direct ?

What would be the tactic recommendations for start of the season Everton team which I'm thinking of starting a career game.

Not a lot of money at the start but hopefully a good league position at the end of the year and a decent UEFA cup run will generate much needed transfer funds.

What would be the tactic recommendations for start of the season Everton team which I'm thinking of starting a career game.

Not a lot of money at the start but hopefully a good league position at the end of the year and a decent UEFA cup run will generate much needed transfer funds.

I would use the 4411 or, my favourite, the 442Diamond( dmc, mr/l, amc), I think the Jo would be awesome as the Target man in FCl and that Cahill will be great as AMC

This is also the set that I am currently using and I will be giving match reports, just like in the happy hammer project, the nearest weeks. hopefully I will do it in every single game

How will i know if it's time to switch away from 7.Defensive? And which other version should i switch to? You wrote 'guides' for all the other versions.

Also, which system do you usually start with away against teams that are worse than you (but not too bad)? E.g, you are spurs, against Portsmouth, Newcastle etc. Really having a lot of trouble with this one specially. I always get owned if i use attack away, since they are already attacking me. So im thinking either Counter or Attack Home?

As you are using your 442 Diamond with Villa I take it you are telling the community that that is your most effective tactic, TBH?

I know you said it's your favourite, but it's just to clarify which of your tactics you consider to be the best/most effective.

I haven't tried the 442 Diamond yet but your 41221, 442 for top teams, 442 No TM, and 4411 are simply some of the best tactical sets created for the FM community.

Thank you for making such a great bunch of tactics for us all to enjoy. You've definitely made my experience of FM more fun and enjoyable.

Thanks

How will i know if it's time to switch away from 7.Defensive? And which other version should i switch to? You wrote 'guides' for all the other versions.

Also, which system do you usually start with away against teams that are worse than you (but not too bad)? E.g, you are spurs, against Portsmouth, Newcastle etc. Really having a lot of trouble with this one specially. I always get owned if i use attack away, since they are already attacking me. So im thinking either Counter or Attack Home?

I stop using defensive as soon as the AI lift up the team and starts to put pressure on my fullbacks, making me loose up in possession.

If they are indeed already attacking me, I use either Attack Home, Balancec or Counter

As you are using your 442 Diamond with Villa I take it you are telling the community that that is your most effective tactic, TBH?

I know you said it's your favourite, but it's just to clarify which of your tactics you consider to be the best/most effective.

I haven't tried the 442 Diamond yet but your 41221, 442 for top teams, 442 No TM, and 4411 are simply some of the best tactical sets created for the FM community.

Thank you for making such a great bunch of tactics for us all to enjoy. You've definitely made my experience of FM more fun and enjoyable.

Thanks

I would not say that the Diamond is the best, its just the one I enjoy the most. The reason for it is that it uses so many different player-roles. It uses pacey wingers, a hardworking AMC, a smart,game-reading and hardworking DMC, a quick poacher and a Strong Target Man. To Sum it up...If I see a player that I like and want to buy, he will most certainly fit into my team:)

The most effective set ? - Depends on who you are playing as but looking at results, I would say that the 442 semi-target man have made most users overachieve. But as written in the description of that set, If playing as a good team, players might get a bit restricted and it would probably be better to use the other 442´s.

And thanks for those kind words

Hi TBH!

1) I would like to play your 4411 next season with my FC Falkirk Team in Scottish Premier League. But i don't know what you mean with a hardworking team. How can I see if a team is hardworking one?

2) Against Rangers and Celtic which are by far the most dominant teams in my league I used Defensive, Counter and Balanced. But I'm not able to even get a point. How would you play against them? They always play a flat 442. They always put me under heavy pressure and their FBs are really attacking, so I thougt Counter should do it because they are already attacking me?

3) How do you see when you have to change to a more offensiv tactic?

4) Which tactic would you use to get a late goal?

THX

Hi TBH!

1) I would like to play your 4411 next season with my FC Falkirk Team in Scottish Premier League. But i don't know what you mean with a hardworking team. How can I see if a team is hardworking one?

2) Against Rangers and Celtic which are by far the most dominant teams in my league I used Defensive, Counter and Balanced. But I'm not able to even get a point. How would you play against them? They always play a flat 442. They always put me under heavy pressure and their FBs are really attacking, so I thougt Counter should do it because they are already attacking me?

3) How do you see when you have to change to a more offensiv tactic?

4) Which tactic would you use to get a late goal?

THX

1.) A squad with high stats in Determination, Team work, stamina, strenghts and maybe also heading and jumping.

2.) Against the top 2 there is probably no "exploit" as they are far superior to you. But I would probably use 7.Defensive when playing at home and 8.SUS when playing away( including the OI). using this set, and if having a hard working team, I think you will get better results then using previous sets

3. Big questions, I think you have to be a little more specific as i do it at so many occasions

• because I am a goal down and my defensive strategy isn't working
  • sometimes together with a hairdryer team talk, when I feel I will get the upper hand
  • sometime even though we are 2-0 up because the opponent is playing a defensive possession tactic, then I change to Overload or Control
  • Sometimes as the AI is putting to much pressure on our defenders and we simply have to lift up the team, raising the d-line, to survive.

If you want examples on how to spot these things, just give me a scenario.

4. ) Late goal, hm.. I usually go for Overload using heavy OI, putting a lot of pressure on the AI. Closing down always on their whole team.. Just remember, if they are playing narrow and tight, you might have to decrease you width( if playing wide) as it otherwise will be almost impossible to use Close down/always

If anyone is interested in beta-testing a quick and direct 41221 set( like Man C in FM) , using a target man, then send me a pm. its important that you have the squad to play this ind of football. Quick poacher, pacey Wingforwards and fullbacks that have good crossing skills, string central midfielders.

I'm United in 9.3 and I'm conceeding way way too many goals.

I normally use Attack for home against weaker opposition and Balanced for harder.

The tatics I use are TBH 442 GOLD

I also use the correct OI instructions (closing down forwards and tight marking AMC's)

I'm United in 9.3 and I'm conceeding way way too many goals.

I normally use Attack for home against weaker opposition and Balanced for harder.

The tatics I use are TBH 442 GOLD

I also use the correct OI instructions (closing down forwards and tight marking AMC's)

Are you conceding from counter attacks ?. Playing with a big team like United, it possible you have to use Control in all home matches and attack away in all away games. As for the OIs, you are not closing down on all forwards are you, even when they are playing with 2 FC?

Hi TBH,

i was just browsing over your work you have done to get another person's perspective, there are alot of people that say one thing and then another person say another ect, i always try and develope my own tactic based on knowledge or tips i pick up from others so i understand what im doing when i make changes etc..

Just like to ask you about a couple of tactical idea's you have implimented in your 442 set..

I notice you have a global mentality where as the TTF shows different mentalities etc.. i also notice for your defensive away tactic your D-Line is above normal with high closing down and above average width, where i was alwasy lead to beleive we should be narrow, deep and have closing down set to low..

On your home attacking tactic only the 2 MC have above normal for creative freedom. my self i use a christamas tree type low at th eback increasing as i move forward etc..

Hi TBH' date='

i was just browsing over your work you have done to get another person's perspective, there are alot of people that say one thing and then another person say another ect, i always try and develope my own tactic based on knowledge or tips i pick up from others so i understand what im doing when i make changes etc..

Just like to ask you about a couple of tactical idea's you have implemented in your 442 set..

I notice you have a global mentality where as the TTF shows different mentalities etc.. i also notice for your defensive away tactic your D-Line is above normal with high closing down and above average width, where i was always lead to believe we should be narrow, deep and have closing down set to low..

..[/quote']

I use my defensive version to gain and keep possession. To do this we can not play narrow and sit to deep. In 09, i have found this to be suicidal. But when the AI attacks us by pushing us back, putting high pressure on my FBs and making my central midfielders sitting in the lap of the DCs, I tend to switch to counter.

In some sets though, as the 41221, we use a more narrow formation as it suit the formation better, using a dmc playmaker and 2 wide wingforwards.

When it comes to mentality, I use it to make the players play as a unit, sometimes intentionally leave gaps etc etc, so the mentality framework are different from set to set, version to version

It would love to do a "Happy XX Project " with a different team but the thing is, I have started my "career"game with Aston Villa and will probably keep playing with them. Just won the League after beating runner up City in the 37;th match of the season. I am going to use the Diamond set for the second season.

Is there any interest in me doing a " Happy Villains Project: Second season". If so, maybe I should post it in the same post( nr 2) as the happy hammer.

...How are you finding the d-line and width and above all, the closing down setting, to work in Spain ?. Are the pitches wide and long there, would one need to use the more cautious version more and play a little more direct ?

Well i havent needed to make any tweaks to the above yet, I have been using the 442 NO TM and its almost perfect. I found that pushing the DLine up in Spain can work wonders against the bad/average teams as they tend to sit back alot and timewaste, rarley do they even atempt to counter attack.

Have been beating and dominating teams like Valancia, Villareal, Racing, PSV because my team is constantly pushing up and closing them down alot. I think a more cautious version would be alright but it wouldnt really suit the style of football in Spain, Most teams i have played play a short, slow and narrow game which the tactics already work really well against.

yes i have certainly found playing narrow, defensive tec to be a bad move, when an AI team is dominating me i find it hard to swing the game so i have posesion.. wave after wave of attack from the Ai see my team have little of the ball, this is the area i neeed to lern to complete my understanding of the game and move up a level in the game..

is just dropping the CA enough to be Defensive yet still offer enough going forward in attack?

is just dropping the CA enough to be Defensive yet still offer enough going forward in attack?

Yes. I have a tactic version that use the team menatlity of 2. No CA, but no t-balls and fwruns set to mixed. In this case its possible for me to play very narrow as long as I implement man-marking on some players, fbs-wingers, mc-mc. Doing this in a set would not be an option though as it would have to be set manually every single time ans the Fbs do not man-mark the wingers a s an default

I play with 442 top team and i like it very much. I won EPL, FAcup, Charityshield etc. I only lost in champ. league final but oke that happends :)

My question is this. I play the set attack away when i play away. Sometimes i feel i need more control in midfield aganist liverpool/arsenal or united. I have players who can play DMC so what set would you reccommend with these players? I was thinking about 4231 but then a lot of my forwards will not fit.

This is my line up:

Starting Line-up

GK: Akinfeev/Asenjo

DR: Srna/Santon

DL: Vargas/Cole

DC: Sakho/Terry

DC: Fazio/Zapata

Cm: Essien/Veloso

Cm: Hamsik/Moutinho/Lampard/Kroos

AMR: Marquinhos/Pjanic

AML: Guardado/Vela

ST: Aquero/Milevsky

ST: Vagner Love/Balotelli

Yes. I have a tactic version that use the team menatlity of 2. No CA, but no t-balls and fwruns set to mixed. In this case its possible for me to play very narrow as long as I implement man-marking on some players, fbs-wingers, mc-mc. Doing this in a set would not be an option though as it would have to be set manually every single time ans the Fbs do not man-mark the wingers a s an default

Ok so i am away and the AI is favorutes for this game, i'm able to have more posession in the game but they are the team having all the shots and look most likely to score, i have gone threw all of my tactics ranging from, attack, defend, control etc and im not able to swing the game. what do i do it's one of these games where nothing seems to work!! what would you do?

Are you conceding from counter attacks ?. Playing with a big team like United, it possible you have to use Control in all home matches and attack away in all away games. As for the OIs, you are not closing down on all forwards are you, even when they are playing with 2 FC?

Yeah I was closing down on all forwards, whether two or one FC. Is that wrong :( lol

Yeah I was closing down on all forwards, whether two or one FC. Is that wrong :( lol

From the OP, Attack Home version

Recommended OI: (necessary in bold)

Close down/Always on any advanced forward.

Tight Mark/Always on deep dropping forwards or AMC behind lone forward and other Strata4 (AMR/L) players

Close down/Always on left DC and Tight Mark/Always on right

What we are doing here are to make sure that their Target man, or the player that moves into channels behind our defence and midfield, behind our defence, is closed down as soon as possible as we do not want him to get time with the ball, either to hold it up until his team mates arrives or for him to have a run against goal. If closing down always on the other, more deep dropping forward, the defenders doing it will be drawn out of position. In this case it crucial that we mark him tight so that the advanced Fc have fewer obvious passing options when being closed down

I m planing to try one of these sets. The thread is very active so it will be irrational if I didnt try one of these tactics.

I m very eager to try 4-1-2-2-1 set. The club I m planing to use with this set is Newcastle. It has good FW in Martins, Owen, Duff, Løvenkrands and Jonas. As playmaker I can use Barton or Butt. Maybe not the best solution but I m sure they can do the job. MCs will be Nolan and Guthrie, both with good positioning and off the ball, as required earlier in the thread. Xisco will be ST. Not sure what you are expecting from ST in this formation, the fast one, the strong one or something else?

Do you think this set could work with the team as Newcastle or should I wait for other 4-1-2-2-1 set that you working on?

I m planing to try one of these sets. The thread is very active so it will be irrational if I didnt try one of these tactics.

I m very eager to try 4-1-2-2-1 set. The club I m planing to use with this set is Newcastle. It has good FW in Martins, Owen, Duff, Løvenkrands and Jonas. As playmaker I can use Barton or Butt. Maybe not the best solution but I m sure they can do the job. MCs will be Nolan and Guthrie, both with good positioning and off the ball, as required earlier in the thread. Xisco will be ST. Not sure what you are expecting from ST in this formation, the fast one, the strong one or something else?

Do you think this set could work with the team as Newcastle or should I wait for other 4-1-2-2-1 set that you working on?

To be honest, those players are nowhere near being playmakers.( troublemakers ,yes:r;))

I think you will be much better off using the 442 NO Tm or the Diamond

To be honest, those players are nowhere near being playmakers.( troublemakers ,yes:r;))

I think you will be much better off using the 442 NO Tm or the Diamond

Well, that will not happen. I m sick of 4-4-2. As for the playmakers is all up to the subjective preferences what we define as playmaker. For me if the player has good anticipation, passing, creativity, decision, concentration and technique, he is ready for the task. These values are not bad for these to players. But I will look to buy better man for the task.

PS. with regard to troublemakers, the game does not know that:)

Well, that will not happen. I m sick of 4-4-2. As for the playmakers is all up to the subjective preferences what we define as playmaker. For me if the player has good anticipation, passing, creativity, decision, concentration and technique, he is ready for the task. These values are not bad for these to players. But I will look to buy better man for the task.

PS. with regard to troublemakers, the game does not know that:)

Looking forward to your feedback:thup:

Hi I just have one quick question. What do you use against a better team playing possession football? I'm guessing defensive but I would like some confirmation.

It depends. How much better are they, home/away and at what level, how attacking are they playing ?

Lets say that we are managing West ham and are playing Chelsea at home, I would probably use 7.defensive( actually I did and won 2-1). Playing away against the same team, I would consider starting with Counter or Defensive using heavy OI.

One thing to remember is that its very hard beating much better teams away from home if they play a slow and controlling game. Its much easier beating the likes of Arsenal or Utd, that attacks with fury on the counter. I usually start those matches with 7.Def and change to 6.Counter with heavy OI when they stop using counter attack

It depends. How much better are they, home/away and at what level, how attacking are they playing ?

Lets say that we are managing West ham and are playing Chelsea at home, I would probably use 7.defensive( actually I did and won 2-1). Playing away against the same team, I would consider starting with Counter or Defensive using heavy OI.

One thing to remember is that its very hard beating much better teams away from home if they play a slow and controlling game. Its much easier beating the likes of Arsenal or Utd, that attacks with fury on the counter. I usually start those matches with 7.Def and change to 6.Counter with heavy OI when they stop using counter attack

Thanks, that really helped.

Been using the 442 for top teams with my Betis team. I think they're a top team even if the they don't meet the criteria to be considered as such by the game!!

Great tactic, TBH. Seem to dominate teams by retaining possession and keeping it simples. Anyway, played Barca earlier and expected a tough game - although they had been beaten 4-1 away to A Madrid, so they're not as strong as you'd imagine - but I totally wiped the floor with them. Absolutely destroyed them.

I used the defensive tactic to begin with, implementing OIs against their strikers, midfield, and full-backs, and in the second half I switched to Counter after they scored twice. Scored two more after switching to counter.

155qfbd.jpg

6jm5ty.jpg

Cheers

Match reports from my Aston Villa save. The Happy Villans project, staying on top !

I will be giving match reports from my Second season with Aston Villa and it can be found in the 2:nd post of the thread. The special thing about this project is to describe how i pick version under the circumstances, them being that I won the EPL last season. So this year most teams will play very cautious against us and our team are really not made of champions material, can we still manager to break down those defensive teams even though they are equal to us regarding quality.

The set I will be using is the 442 Diamond

Please help me choose the right tactic away from home. I have started a new game on my laptop with Berwick Rangers. They don't have a great team but are favourites for the league and were favourites for most matches. Other teams are supposed to be playing counter but all seem to attack me. I even went out of the Scottish Cup to a non league side. The full back tend to stay back but everyone else is coing forward. Some play wide and others try thru balls. I have tried several versions of your tactic sets and have just started using the 4-4-1-1 as one of my forwards has a fractured skull!!!

Please help me choose the right tactic away from home. I have started a new game on my laptop with Berwick Rangers. They don't have a great team but are favourites for the league and were favourites for most matches. Other teams are supposed to be playing counter but all seem to attack me. I even went out of the Scottish Cup to a non league side. The full back tend to stay back but everyone else is coing forward. Some play wide and others try thru balls. I have tried several versions of your tactic sets and have just started using the 4-4-1-1 as one of my forwards has a fractured skull!!!

Well in the "lower division", or lesser leagues, managers almost always play very attacking at home.. I would use 6.Counter, maybe reverting to a more balanced approach in haltime if leading

Well in the "lower division", or lesser leagues, managers almost always play very attacking at home.. I would use 6.Counter, maybe reverting to a more balanced approach in haltime if leading

Now you say that it makes sense! So for home games I should be looking to play the quicker passing versions of Balanced - Att Home - and Overload.

So when teams seem to try and keep possession I should be looking at Control at home and Att Away and Def away from home?

Ok back to the game, fingers crossed!

Now you say that it makes sense! So for home games I should be looking to play the quicker passing versions of Balanced - Att Home - and Overload.

So when teams seem to try and keep possession I should be looking at Control at home and Att Away and Def away from home?

would be eaiser if the game had a red flashing box when the opponents change there shape and insdie that box your assistant could say, " the oppoents have switch to a deeper defensive line and are no playing more defensive" "it would be wise to change x, y ,z to counter this etc" information relayed back would depend on how could your assistant was and how good his knowlegde of tactics he is..

Sound good to me.:thup:.

Downloaded the 4-4-2 target man tactic set used them half way through the season at Celtic.

Only played 2 games with it so far Dundee Utd at home (4-4-2 Home Attack) won 3-0

Hearts at home Scottish cup (4-4-2 Counter Attack) won 2-0

So far seems a very good tactic set.

Well done alot of work has went into the tactics and they play very well.

Archived