[FM24] Unterhaching - To der top

Unterhaching – To der top

UnterhachingMain.png.655d24bfd1a2c507581364abc9e3ccf4.png

Intro

Whilst I've done many a journeyman save and been playing the game a long time, I've not yet taken the dive into having a full documented 'FM Story' and decided to fix that asap.

The choice of club was thanks to a mate who when I suggested a few teams, picked Unterhaching because of their position in the German football setup and their hideous financials.

Without further Adu, lets get this underway.

Hire.png.39ddaf538ade2f7db0cd034cfa5d9ea2.png

The Club

Unterhaching's football team was only an anonymous local amateur team with no significant successes until a climb through league ranks that began in 1976 with promotion from B-Klasse to A-Klasse play. A first-place finished earned the club quick promotion to the Bezirksliga in 1977. Continued good play put the team into the fourth-division Landesliga Bayern-Süd in 1979 and then the Oberliga Bayern, the highest amateur division at the time, by 1981.

In 1999, the club reached its highest point when it gained promotion to the Bundesliga, the top tier of German football, for the first time in its history. After a two season stay in the top flight, Unterhaching were relegated and then suffered relegation the following season, falling to the Regionalliga Sud. Immediate promotion back to the 2. Bundesliga followed but the club were then relegated in the 2006-07 season and have flitted between 3. Liga and the Regionalliga Bayer ever since.

Last season saw the club promoted as champions from the Regionalliga Bayer under the management of Sandro Wagner; the coach agreeing to leave at the end of the season to join the German national setup.

Overview

Manni seemed fairly excited, if he's hailing it as a momentous day then I'm thinking they're expecting at least a lower half finish with this lot.

Overview.png.793782263b4ed07cace2717c7bf8ade8.png

Vision

My Vision

1.      Recover the financial position of the club (£11m of debt)

2.     Build a strong, young core of a squad to establish a cornerstone for growth of the club

3.     Ensure high quality international quality staff are instilled into the backroom team

4.    Work towards ascending to the Bundesliga

5.     Establish the club as a leading German force

Club Vision

ClubVision.png.16981ce3467a2822198a8857781e9c92.png

The Squad | June 2023

Squad2023.thumb.png.b6cd9ad4d94d385a9540d04e486cbb2c.png

Key Players

Raphael Schifferi                         Centre Back                      (on loan from Wolfsberger)

RaphaelSchifferl_Attributes.thumb.png.b6ce0f6938efa634ea8b405ed321b86f.png

Top quality centre back – will be one of the first names on the team sheet.

Maurice Krattenmacher                Attacking Midfielder

MauriceKrattenmacher_Attributes-2.thumb.png.4a563df425746e8ef8f426e0d840c76b.png

Could develop into a magnificent playmaker or shadow striker; attracting a fair bit of interest and will definitely be in the first team reckoning this season.

Aaron Keller                     Left Midfield / AML

AaronKeller_Attributes.thumb.png.2f85d056c1b22c1c87c2a114e4ed6ac6.png

Again as with Krattenmacher has bags of potential. Might be a struggle to keep hold of him and would be criminal if it was for anything less than seven figures. Wanted by 34 clubs might be problematic.

Finances

I have no idea what the club have been doing but that is quite a hole. Not sure how we begin to wriggle out of that and assume that some kind of loan or borrowing will be needed to sort the finances.

FinancesJune2023.png.46cc874bcf6acc46cd28b743e326af56.png

The Target for 2023 / 24

Absolutely no idea what to aim at. The squad is average looking and the debt is immense - I'm not sure this season will be anything more than trying to reduce the outgoings and trying to ensure a top half finish (despite the board asking for mid table).

Krattenmacher and Keller look like top players in the making; I really want to have them be the bedrock of any potential rise to the Bundesliga but I am very aware (especially in Kellers instance) how difficult it might be to keep them.

Although one of the aims is to build a strong, young core of a squad as a cornerstone for future growth I'm not sure this will be feasible for a couple of seasons at least as it'll be loanees supplementing the squad as we try and resolve the finances.

UnterhachingLogo.png.3ff885281d608cdb40c6d6de098785bf.png

My Prediction: 8th Place

Media Prediction: 14th Place

Up Next

Tactics, Transfers and Pre Season.

Season 2023 / 24 - 3.Liga

June 2023

The debt is now a loan

Hurrah – I think?
The club are still £1.8m in debt meaning if any kind of rebuild of the squad is to take place we’ve got to sell before we can buy.

LoanNews.png.bfb7f800c92dc9637997044993231e05.png

That now means it's a hefty net debt of:

image.png.377df26dccf715a88e26846539e96290.png

Overall finances below:

Financepostloan.PNG.fba3d318bae4a22810c895981e565ce4.PNG

Not a lot else to mention for the rest of June other than checking through the big earners and realising most of them can't be moved on easily as they also have combined staff roles which mean they can't be transfer listed. Like bastard ticks buried beneath the skin.

image.png.dd0be50897c32fd19c3398cfc0d17515.png

Vollath to be fair wasn't bad but that's a big wage that could go a long way in the loan market. The other two offered fair options for the squad but it's mainly not having the autonomy to sell them that was the issue.

Mathias Fetsch was the main big earner on £4,200 per week but moving him on wouldn't be a problem.

July 2023

The Trials and Transfers 

In an effort to get some quality (or ridiculous names) into the squad, trial requests were practically sent out to anyone who would say yes and want to come along for a training session.

The likes of Winston Reid, Liam Moore and a 36 year old Gervinho came (and went) after trials but there were three standout players who would definitely add quality to the squad:

DannyRose_Attributes.thumb.png.588dc936505e0255d3ea2a76966c38f1.png

HlderCosta_Attributes.thumb.png.08a12fca748e9703eb0e0559f92aa2c0.png

MarcRzatkowski_Attributes-2.thumb.png.974f97090f59d615ce9ea83acd63ff3f.png

Costa and Rose would have been outstanding acquisitions but unfortunately the wage demands and interest of other clubs was too great.

Rzatkowski however was interested at closer to a reasonable wage but we'd still need to wait it out with him to try and get something half sensible agreed.

The other main target I was looking for was a striker as I didn't fancy Fetsch up top and would be looking to move him on.

Well, we definitely struck out in the loan market and the first signing of the Warnock era had arrived:

image.png.2593132c36e2f121da2b4bbd11308964.png

Mateo Joseph                         Striker                      (on loan from Leeds)

MateoJoseph_Attributes.thumb.png.9a99f5421d72dad18d95ecb4ef62818b.png

Now I know £3,600 a week is a big wedge of cash considering all the talk of reducing the wage bill but couldn't pass this one up; he'd provide an excellent option up top as an advanced forward with a decent all round feel to his game.
Given we'd likely go with the one up top he'd be perfect as the focal point.

Goodbye Maurice

Bollocks. So being in the lower rungs of the German league setup with the bank balance of Katie Price wasn't all sunshine and lollipops.

Clubs started raining bids in for Krattenmacher and the board were accepting them. It was a bit too early to start threatening to quit so I decided to get out in front of it and put him up for sale to try and get a good deal.

I say a good deal as for me a player who was worth about £2.5m left the club for £140k but the most important thing I negotiated was a decent percentage of profit from the next sale. Fortunately he went to Hamburg who had offered 40%

Still gutted as he was one of the players I wanted to build a team around.

image.thumb.png.434d74a1cf5b32fad88cf0f91555dde9.png

Friendlies

Wasn't a bad run of games in pre-season as we tried to work out the best setup for the squad.

image.thumb.png.4dfeff366c538546ca25d049023aec25.png

Tactically I'd settled on a 4-5-1 kind of setup with a more defensive approach with a counter press to try and win possession back.

image.png.ad0bbfa3c96b4580eb1807b9dd770590.png

I'll show a bit more detail around the tactics, players and setup for the squad in August after we hopefully get a few more bodies in.

Will include the transfer ins and outs in Augusts update as well.

Up Next

Season starts, transfers and all the signings.

August 2023

Results

image.thumb.png.ce0c484d15f51dd7ea08d21345db7f78.png

What a start.

• Dominant performance against Regensburg in the opener with an extremely promising debut from Joseph. We played conservative and simple football in the lower areas of the pitch and did the damage in the final third.
  • Karlsruhe in the cup was a show of the gap between the second and third tiers and we had a go but were by far second best.
  • Ulm was another superb attacking display, Joseph and Maier were particularly strong but off the back of signing his new deal Aaron Keller shone with two goals and a great all round performance.
  • Heading into the Freiburg game the squad depth was evidently an issue that we’d need to look at before the window closed but with finances being as tight as they are it’d be difficult. The game itself was a grind and we were on the back foot throughout but came away with a point after a goalless affair.
  • The Koln game again just showed the complete lack of depth as they were utter mince but we had nothing to break them down. But it was time to concentrate on deadline day.

Note: I forgot to take a screenshot of the table. But we finished August in 5th Position.

Not it was time to concentrate on deadline day...

Ahead of which…

image.png.db0e37c0546e5c3ba4646ce509e425e8.png

Good lad Manni. I'm just hoping that was the result of a quick rummage down the back of the sofa cushions and he'd be able to actually prop us up with a full transfer budget in the forthcoming season.

I mean - the balance was still a rotten one but every little helps.

image.png.14c2ddaf62da22433286647ab8e8901f.png

Deadline Day

I'd been looking across the market but other than keeping an close watch on Rzatkowski's wage demands whilst he was on trial there was no-one else on the market that I felt we needed to get in so it was all hold for getting some loan deals done on deadline day.

Our main target was Assan Ouédraogo but couldn’t get the funds sorted for the £4.1k a week fee. I have no idea why Schalke would let him out on loan as he'd be a top player in the Bundesliga 2 but we'd try again for him in January if still available. Kaide Gordon came in for no fee to replace the outgoing Skarlatidis and looked like he has raw talent that will shine at this level, Tim Hoffmann again covered the loss of Hoops and we managed to strike an excellent season long loan for Kevin Zeroli as a playmaker in place of Ouédraogo. Nicolo Turco offered an affordable option for cover up top to strengthen numbers and with 30 minutes of the window remaining we got a loan deal done to bring Maurice Krattenmacher back to the club on loan only weeks after he'd left for Hamburg. 

Five deadline day loans in and three players out. We looked stronger!

image.thumb.png.bd0fed2ae05bf5dd8a5ec5da7a202246.png

Transfers

Kaide Gordon                         AMR                      (on loan from Liverpool)

image.thumb.png.71b342332938907668b99f0ea0fd384f.png

Kevin Zeroli                         Centre Mid                      (on loan from Milan)

KevinZeroli_Attributes.thumb.png.6b8c37287d6ae084710dfbe5a59b0a77.png

Maurice Krattenmacher                         AMC                      (on loan from Hamburg)

image.thumb.png.d2ce1c7d3bbcf047f1eafb1998111aa8.png

Tim Hoffmann                         Centre Back                      (on loan from Hamburg)

image.thumb.png.8716127a6f340abc89e76e61e4975d40.png

Nicoli Turco                         Striker                      (on loan from RB Salzburg)

image.thumb.png.41c508dd04c998b36a9adad36043a798.png

Transfers In

image.thumb.png.27400bff5fd8c085f2a1c33325fe0a62.png

Transfers Out

image.thumb.png.9ed01f84ea2f5160db08654ce5e0821e.png

Tactics / Starting Lineup

The starting eleven would now look something like this with the aim of strengthening with a couple of free transfers (ideally a left back and a centre mid; hopeful of a deal being able to be done on Rzatowski and he'd replace Stark in the middle):

image.png.e538dc26342829903cfbabaf56a1fb26.png

Up Next

September and October.

Posted (edited)

September 2023

Results

image.thumb.png.611ac5f463e70c1f6640564cfb529acc.png

• The late show at Verl, shifted around the team to bring on Krattenmacher at 2-1 down and we were absolutely dominant. The temporary formation looked like it would have legs going forward as it allowed for two late goals which kept us unbeaten. Switching it up to a 4231.
  • However, the next game it all came crashing down with a 4-2 reverse against Saarbrucken. We went behind to two early goals and in trying to press forward to get back into the game left it too open at the back and lost the game which we’d on paper dominated.
  • Against Bielefeld everything clicked into place and it was our most impressive performance of the season to date. A 5-0 drubbing with Zeroli, Keller and Krattenmacher pulling the strings. Zeroli was quickly becoming one of the key players in the team and whatever happened over the course of the season would be key in any success areas.
  • Dortmund II were dispatched in a fairly straightforward game with Zeroli and Joseph getting the goals and we closed out September in 3rd spot in the league. (Note: forgot league table again!)

After the Saarbrucken game, the signing of Marc Rzatkowski was finalised after a prolonged trial period and was the first signing of the Warnock tenure. He’d fit straight into the midfield in place of  and would allow a move to a 4231 which would allow Krattenmacher to be deployed as an AMC after some good performances off the bench.

image.thumb.png.767912fd75215704d7c5a1d2fff2c948.png

Marc Rzatkowski                         Centre Mid

image.thumb.png.119e7486eeea33947c772a9f64209655.png

Other Transfer News

Two players left in September after the window closed; Benedikt Bauer went to Sint-Truiden for £150k and Mathias Fetsch headed to Greek side Lamia for £25k (crucially removing £4.2k a week from the wage bill)

October 2023

image.thumb.png.87d45e76ea3517289658f592042d3251.png

• A big game to kick off October and another excellent display against Essen, Zeroli had absolutely become the most important player in the team as an absolute key influence in our attacking shape and also capable of scoring from anywhere around the 18 yard box. This put us on top of the pile and the football that was being played meant it was absolutely on merit.
  • A trip to Duisburg followed this one and it was an absolutely dominant display again with a comfortable 2-0 victory. Krattenmacher got the man of the match award in this one and again the pressing play and enterprising attacking football proved the difference. Although we’d lost him to Hamburg, getting him back on loan on deadline day proved to be an absolutely vital piece of business as he’s played a key role in the early season success. Joseph scored again in this one to make it three in three and he was another player who was showing form levels way above this league.
  • The Sandhausen game saw us line up without Zeroli; he’d just received his first Italian under 21 cap and scored a brace in a 2-1 victory. The lack of depth was still evident in the team as we had to play Maier as the attacking centre mid in his absence. The visitors were tipped for a top three finish at the start of the season and found themselves bottom of the league going into this one. Their performance certainly defied their league standing and they were much the better side throughout but Maier proved he was the right choice to replace Zeroli for this game with a barely deserved 93rd minute winner. That was now five wins on the bounce.
  • Next up was Ingolstadt away, with the home side sitting top of the league. We worked hard and despite going a goal down early were brought back into it with a goal of the season contender from Kaide Gordon from 25 yard after running in off the right flank. Despite having chances to win it, we were punished by a 94th minute penalty to give them the victory and knock us off the top of the pile.
  • Final game of the month was Waldhof at home and we were on top first half but with nothing to show for it. Brought Turco on as an inside forward and played a higher line and everything came up Milhouse. Turco grabbed one early and then Joseph got two in as many minutes.

Importantly, I remembered the league table:

image.png.26b834fcb09f2b73a580313c5ff83a78.png

We finished the month in second place but it had been a solid period with four wins and a loss.

The shine was taken off hugely by two injuries; a hamstring strain for Maier would see him out for up to 7 weeks but crucially Kevin Zeroli twisted an ankle and he would be out for 8 weeks. Both picked up in the same training session. ****s sake.

image.png.0a7bafbf8f1b95b20fb9e4529ed787a1.png

Slight positive was agreeing a January loan deal for Florian Hoxha from Grasshoppers; the left back would slot straight into the starting eleven to add much needed strength in that area.

Mateo Joseph also secured the player of the month award after bagging four goals in five games.

Edited by DanWarnock

November 2023

Results

image.png.0302baf5a168eba680813eddb7149ee8.png

• Lubeck away for the first game of the month without the talismanic Zeroli and the performance was lethargic first half and we went in deservedly behind. Second half we pushed the defensive and attacking lines forward and increased the press and a blockbuster from Schifferl got us level in the 90th minute and then two minutes later Krattenmacher seized on a defensive error to sweep the ball home for a smash and grab win.
  • This was followed up with another scraped win against Erzgebirge, again we went behind and again came back in the second half with a Schwabl penalty and a superb curling effort from the edge of the box from Stark to win it.
  • It would be a much needed two week break before the next game, the derby against 1860 Munchen  Zeroli and Maier were still out so it was down to Stark and Rzatkowski to marshall the midfield. Turco was also in for a start after a good showing off the bench against Erzgebirge and the Italian rewarded his selection with a brace before half time sandwiched either side of an opportunist striker by Krattenmacher for a commanding and deserved 3-0 lead. Hoffman made it 4-0 just after half time and despite conceding on the hour it was a comprehensive win. Only three games in the month but three wins put us on the top of the table again.

Table

image.png.d33ce2b01bb1b3f31d27bffbb939628f.png

December 2023

Results and Stuff

• Another big win to start the month, Hallescher took the lead (which was becoming a theme) but it was a dominant performance again with Krattenmacher and Turco scoring again in a 3-1 win.

image.png.9031dbd62ddc05e70a07cf1906397682.png

• Dresden away next and a win in this one could give us a real gap at the top of the table.

We went into it three points clear and avoiding defeat would be a perfect result.

image.png.8baf84cf4df4c78c025fa9b616da202d.png

We setup to go toe to toe with Dresden but were completely overwhelmed in the midfield and despite going ahead early on conceded a swift leveller and were behind before half time. They made it three early into the second half and despite a late second we never troubled them and went down to a 3-2 loss.

image.png.4f408951e15bb73d6e87f07b967bd96f.png

After the Dresden game, our second permanent deal of the season was struck and again after a period on trial, Ovie Ejaria joins on a free after recovering from cruciate ligament damage. He’d offer a bit of quality and depth on the left and behind the striker.

image.thumb.png.5da40e000f4e6d31e87cfe674af18a8c.png

image.thumb.png.e66087771771648fe069a0ae61a7b37b.png

• Next up, Munster and despite being hugely on top throughout we were wasteful in front of goal and were hit on the counter after Krattenmacher’s penalty had put us ahead and had to settle for a point. A little bit of a wobble and again it was tired legs and a lack of quality in the squad depth that were being shown up.

image.png.06e51dbf02a06f7fee0154e104d1627f.png

• Regensburg next and the last game before the winter break and importantly the opening of the transfer window.Despite going into it with a few jaded players, we worked hard for a 2-0 win. After a goalless first half, Turco headed home a Zeroli cross for the first and Krattenmacher ripped one in from 25 yards to have us finishing December top and after all three teams below us dropped points we’d go into the winter break with a five-point cushion over Dresden.

image.png.f0a5c9a30fd03b23c551994c3adc74dd.png

Results Summary

image.png.a3991774af3b73da247f4b195e1b6fa0.png

Table

image.png.80b183b26bc9da81fd88d238a7e6ff7a.png

Winter Break | Thoughts and Things

Crikey. This was going a lot better than expected.

The players that we've got in have gelled perfectly and getting Rzatowski in to play as a ball winner in the midfield has given license for both Krattenmacher and Zeroli to do so much damage in the opposing third.

According to my albeit not great rated coaches, Zeroli has progressed to a level where he'd be a regular in the Bundesliga and Krattenmacher a top Bundasliga 2 performer.

The squad definitely needs a few adding; finances still aren't great however and it'll definitely be loans in the window.

image.png.d87de9fd690bbc9660751603de84d4c6.png

Getting rid of Fetsch in September freed up some wage budget and we could look to hopefully get the right players in to maintain this (whisper it) title challenge. In the words of Morpheus:

Stephen Lawlor - Lead planning & forecasting analyst - Vodafone | LinkedIn

Oh. The board and fans are happy with things as well.

image.thumb.png.d8a9df402c2c24b4df89d0ecc2886200.png

image.thumb.png.b01d5225512708c64b6c803c983b077c.png

Next Up

January. Results and window.

19 hours ago, SixPointer said:

Nice idea for a save. Following along and best of luck

Thanks mate. I'm really enjoying it so far; I've played a lot of lower leagues but have never started in Germany (usually I'm unemployed journeyman with no badges and the league rep is too good in Liga 3).

Feels like massive overachievement so far but we'll take it.

Posted (edited)

January 2024

Transfers

So - a few deals in Jan and hopefully we'd done enough with the players that had been brought in to supplement the unlikely promotion bid.

We also lost a couple of big names but for the fees offered and the state of the finances it had to be done.

image.png.47996c3dcf3e851db4e1249dd8223aba.png

Hoxta would hopefully strengthen the weak as **** left back options and Gruger would give us a great option in centre mid. The arrivals of Beney and Mendy were forced after the departures of Keller and Waidner for big money.

I know I'd said it would be criminal to get less than seven figures for Keller but he was getting disruptive with all the interest shown and the deal would also see us pocket 30% of any future profit.

The new boys in a bit more detail below.

Arrivals

image.thumb.png.a062c4aa3f73b85fe01932ccf99317ae.png

image.thumb.png.b36dc59d7eef2d13fb33630c0aaa8b81.png

image.thumb.png.bdcf1a56995a4368367866da1904a42c.png

Results

image.png.942a97566385d162ff3cfcc3d0aa0be8.png

• Not sure what happened against Ulm. We looked fairly comfortable after Gordon put us ahead but just completely floundered in the second half and they levelled it up on 53 mins. Stale first game back.
  • Freiburg was another lackluster performance but we scraped a win. They went ahead on 3 mins but we pulled one back before Zeroli got us out of jail with a brilliant first time strike from the edge of the box. We had just lost Keller and Waidner for this one and were still trying to source replacements.
  • Relegation threatened Koln were our last one of the month and it was the same pattern. Go behind and then come back. Schifferl got the important leveller just before half time and then a cheeky rabona from Schwabl and Joseph gave us all three points.

Table

image.png.4dfd2425e539a61b965ff17aa64d79a8.png

Summary

Not a bad month, losing two first team options was something we just had to deal with and the loan market as ever was forcibly the answer (always will be when the board offer you 10% of any fees).

The squad was looking like this (with the first team tactic of choice being the 4-2-3-1):
image.thumb.png.bad1d101fa000447f164682b2157625d.png

Our salary spend at the end of Jan also showed the disadvantage the budget was putting us at and again, forcing the issue with the loan market:

SpendingJan24.png.941cc4da072431a7bcb1025a63f14a55.png

Edited by DanWarnock

February 2024

Results

image.png.86b82030e23dfc40935797a231a6e0c6.png

Pretty solid month (ignoring the Verl game of course) and the Bielefeld game was a massive performance!

• Verl was an absolute shocker. We were two up by the half hour and then just imploded. Hoxha on paper looked lime a better option than Lamby but he was looking absolutely dreadful and cost us two goals. They'd levelled it by half time then got the winner with twenty mins to go. We rallied after that but all too late.
  • Saarbrucken was a gritty performance - Schifferl grabbed his third in as many games and was an absolute threat at set pieces. Krattenmacher was running things again in the middle.
  • Bielefeld was possibly our best performance of the season to date. Krattenmacher again absolutely ran the show and it was just a proper dominant performance. They had 2 shots all game compared to our 22!
  • Finished the month with an easy win against Dortmund II

Table

image.png.3bb0d9d1b5d0082a2c70d1695821c314.png

Affiliate

Took advantage of the good board relationship to request an affiliate. Was obviously hoping for Dortmund or Bayern but this wasn't too bad.

Union Berlin had some fairly decent looking players and hopefully we could get some good loans in next season.

image.thumb.png.0e6d255d025cd77f06f7ef2822bb4ebe.png

March 2024

Results

image.png.3ac610db6ae72e0e527f5f9de1bc6cde.png

Dropped points at the end of this month was a bit of a worry and the nature of the defeat against an albeit solid Ingolstadt was a concern.

Still we were absolutely maintaining the charge at the top and despite the hiccup were four clear of Dresden and five clear of Ingolstadt.

• Essen are a good side but we blew them away; familiar faces amongst the goalscorers and Schifferl was our main threat from corners!
  • Duisburg was a strong win on paper but we had to work for it. Three late goals sealed it and Romeo Beney got the goal that some of his performances had deserved since joining at the end of Jan on loan.
  • Sandhausen was an ugly one. No one put in a particularly strong shift and despite going ahead just after the hour through the most prolific centre back I've seen since Bert Konterman in CM 01/02; they levelled and we limped over the line.
  • Before the Ingolstadt game we lost Hoffmann to injury with the German under 21s for three months and Schifferl wasn't fully fit. It showed. By 48 mins we were 4-0 down and despite pulling a few back were on the wrong side of a 5-3 scoreline. Had we beaten them we'd have pulled 11 points clear and surely secured promotion! We were still out in front and just about doing enough.

Table

image.png.8d975bb5cf1191bba5e1dd792745bb17.png

Other Business

Managed to extend Zerolis loan until the end of next season which was great news for whatever division we were in. He is absolutely key to our midfield. Did try the same for Krattenmacher but the Hamburg management weren't keen on loaning him out again and we'd have to try and negotiate another loan in the summer.

image.thumb.png.c190efdcff059fe21a76aa26a3713b94.png

Bundesliga 2 Riches!

Despite all the talk about tempering expectations I did take a peek at the rules, stages and rewards in the second tier and my god. I could finish bottom of the table and secure £6.71m. Suddenly the need to get promoted seemed that bit more important!

image.thumb.png.b9e9c435f245dd4764957a5f8ad8c4d7.png

You are on the right path, hopefully you can finish it! 2nd Bundesliga would make huge difference to the finances and the fortunes of the club.

Posted (edited)

April 2024

Squeaky bum time

Slightly different approach for this one and we'll go game by game given it's getting interesting at the top!

We had our two first choice centre backs out injured for the start of the month which was going to make it tricky.

We started April looking like this:

image.png.c4b63f0feb9c34cd3cf8c9f015c16ea0.png

Results in detail

A visit to 6th placed Waldhof in our first game of April without Schifferl and Hoffmann; as important in the opposition box as he was our own with 7 league goals to date from centre back. Stark would backfill as again the depth of having a squad full of loan players was stretched to its limit.

We started well and Turco put us ahead within ten mins and then had a follow up disallowed shortly after.

We conceded a sloppy one before half time and then they scored twice in three mins in the second half. Got one back late but it was a poor performance and we were really missing the centre back pairing of Schifferl and the injured Hoffmann. 

image.png.253c0bf683745bf7d17090bc07d20345.png

Bottom side Lubeck were up next and it would be a good opportunity to get back into winning ways after losing two on the bounce.

On paper we obliterated the visitors but it was still a bit of a nervy affair until Krattenmacher tucked home the second goal and his 11th of the season. For someone who was a bit of an afterthought at 11:30pm on deadline day in September he was pretty much player of the season already. Zeroli had been good but since January Krattenmachers contributions had been carrying the team in places.

image.png.d9faed673f6761bc53aea05a38c9b2cf.png

Before our next game against Erzgebirge, Dresden beat Koln 1-0 to put the pressure on for us to get a result.

image.png.20d593a6e358b144b81e01be4cbb1cc8.png

So away to lowly Erzgebirge. We needed a win to keep the pressure on.

We battered them. Joseph (getting a start after some under par displays from Turco blasted us ahead and the two late goals from Beney and Zeroli sealed it. Since coming in to replace Keller in January, Beney was another one putting in some top performances.

image.png.5ede5e945a51a3399d20b61529250e96.png

Off the back of the Erzebirge game, we had done enough to secure a playoff place!

image.thumb.png.6ee28d828f1373778728139265dea19d.png

Manni was happy. 4 years ahead of schedule.

image.thumb.png.d463275dad5d69031cb8351ea4d765d0.png

Four Games Left

On the pitch we had four games left.

image.thumb.png.1a8daf3e2d5a2e2ad1417acb38f5126f.png

1860 Munchen in what felt like our biggest game of the season; fitting it's against our biggest rivals in the S-Bahn derby.

We started superbly against 1860, Gordon weaving away on the right and plonking it straight onto the head of Joseph. Then on 24 minutes a long range effort by Zeroli was spilled by Hiller in the visitors goal and Joseph seized on it to tuck away for two nil. Then on the stroke of half time, another ball in from the right from the livewire Gordon and Beney caught it on the volley back post for a spectacular third. The half time stats were decent reading:

image.png.7e892eb847d68a8b234646831a8594e1.png

Mendy got in on the act on the hour to put us four up as it was a humiliation job of our supposed bigger rivals. Lakenmacher got a late consolation but it was a huge win in the battle for promotion and a step closer to Bundasliga 2 football.

image.png.5c1ac4af82b6fa088f314084d93c3288.png

In the other games in and around us, Dresden and Ingolstadt both drew their games giving us a healthy cushion at the top

Basically one more win and with the goal difference we'd be almost guaranteed promotion!

April Results

image.png.aee313e6d6ba3ad8a2a657dfc0a99a97.png

Table

image.png.cb68a3d89832719898d0aa8d56d1b463.png

Edited by DanWarnock

Posted (edited)

May 2024

Results in detail

One more win would likely be enough for promotion given the goal difference situation, and it was Hallescher away up next.

And it was absolutely dominant from Haching, Joseph was finishing the season in great form and even missed a penalty in this one. The home side did pull it back to 2-1 but Joseph scored in injury time to give us the result we needed to almost mathematically secure promotion.

image.png.51d8c8769602a25336687201bf984ea6.png

But hold on...

BREAKING NEWS

image.thumb.png.e88bd7e51daa1515ea313d58fa90e88c.png

Ingolstadt could only draw with Waldhof which meant we'd done it! An absolutely unexpected but deserved promotion in our first season.

The fans were jubilant:

image.thumb.png.6ae287ef751aedfc8892c275e3be830e.png

Surely nothing could bring us down from this high.

image.thumb.png.67929f227e6c1a6463f42bcb93b435ad.png

Oh Manni. Come on lad. That's slightly less than this seasons budget.

Anyway, that would have to wait as we had a big game in the battle for the title and we'd be playing our closest competitors. If we avoided defeat against Dresden we'd won the title.

image.thumb.png.1153a2d67205531fb3eac5d749df106f.png

It was a cagey first half with very little in the way of chances, Gruger striking a free kick over the bar.

Second half we did put them under a lot more pressure and it was just after the hour mark that a decisive goal in our season hit the back of the net. Dresden failed to clear their lines from a corner and Schifferl knocked the ball down to the on fire Joseph who fired a deflected effort past the keeper. With a draw set to be enough, the picture got even better as on 70 minutes Gordon picked up a pass from Zeroli, skated into the box and lashed home for two!

Dresden then had a great chance to get back into the game, winning a penalty after a sloppy foul by Welzmuller but Vollath stood firm and tipped the penalty against the crossbar and over to keep us two ahead. Meißner did get one back for the visitors in the 85th minute as they poured forward looking for goals and despite an end to end finish we’d done enough. A 2-1 win and the title!

image.png.9db29d2e2fd567d1df11a28362f43eef.png

BREAKING NEWS

image.thumb.png.7d69be57911b736fbbbc334ee19e4433.png

What a result. One last game at Munster to finish the season and there was still one more bit of pride to play for:

image.thumb.png.28f185f86c7a0473f189effcf675d9d0.png

Munster away - started superbly with a Zeroli header from a corner on 2 mins and then Joseph picked up on a defensive error for two. Goalmouth scramble for the third all within the 22nd minute! Krattenmacher made it four nil in the 50th minute then a sentimental set of subs to give the likes of Maier, Schwabl, Stark and Rzatowski a final run out nearly cost us the points title.
Munster had pulled it back to 4-3 with five minutes left but we held on and Krattenmacher struck again in the 94th minute to secure the victory and the points record!

image.png.df8385f6bedb6b221c2aaaab4e4fc6f8.png

May Results

image.png.6bdf1dddd716bac08d2f48f8ac0aab0f.png

Final Table

image.png.7f64108d002c5e92d49244046946eef2.png

Up Next

End of season review.

Edited by DanWarnock

On 06/05/2024 at 10:18, Vođi said:

You are on the right path, hopefully you can finish it! 2nd Bundesliga would make huge difference to the finances and the fortunes of the club.

image.gif.3a4839c3ae17da9266ccbb1b3a3a8ce0.gif

End of Season Review

image.thumb.png.f15feaaeb06dc4b5f175aaf5fc826fe4.png

My Prediction: 8th Place

Media Prediction: 14th Place

Actual Finish: 1st Place

Well that was definitely some serious overachievement.

We were 50/1 with the bookies at the start of the season and Haching didn't drop from the top of the league from November onwards.

Summary

image.thumb.png.3ede68653166ae854603d7cf9de8324f.png

Best Eleven

image.thumb.png.a780a0f39b38fa07510ebc4b5f0c23a7.png

Player of the Season  -  Maurice Krattenmacher

As the average ratings denoted, Schifferl, Zeroli and Joseph were all fundamental in the promotion push but Krattenmacher was the one who tied everything together.

Despite losing him before the start of the season to Hamburg for a paltry £140k, the Hatching youth product rejoined the club on a season loan with half an hour before before the transfer window closed early September.

With 26 goal contributions in the league, he was invaluable and the difference in so many games and unpicked defensive lines with ease.

Top Scorer  -  Mateo Joseph  -  19 League Goals

Joseph was an integral part of the promotion push and his rich vein of goalscoring form in April and May were vital in securing the title.

Youth Intake  -  2024

We had three decent looking players sign up in the youth intake, Mehmet Turkmen looked to have 2. Bundesliga potential and Manuel Heindinger as a potential Bundesliga player.

But it was Faruk Esmeray who looked the pick of the bunch as a potential Bundesliga player of the future. 

MehmetTrkmen_Attributes.thumb.png.3e8bb8a01e1c3a643372e7f45fc4861e.png

ManuelHeidinger_Attributes.thumb.png.d75231ce63766768b9636dd643ecc8b3.png

FarukEsmeray_Attributes.thumb.png.8e5650d0a7212103340b0dc38ba6f49a.png

Next Up

Season 2024 / 25 - 2. Bundesliga.

Posted (edited)

Season 2024 / 25 - 2. Bundesliga

June 2024

Where's the money Manni?

Two fairly sizeable issues coming into the new season.

Firstly was the fact that we had planned to retain the following players from the squad:

• Kevin Zeroli (loan)
  • Alexander Leuthard
  • Viktor Zentrich
  • Fabian Scherger
  • Konstantin Heide

We also had the three youth propects of Mehmet Turkmen, Manuel Heindinger and Faruk Esmeray. Although in the case of Heindinger he didn't turn 16 until the registration window closed which meant he wouldn't be an option until January. And no disrespect to the lads, but they wouldn't have got into the 3. Liga team let alone be considered for a squad in the Bundesliga second tier.

Oh - also due to my own lack of care and attention, Alexander Leuthard was actually going to Augsburg on a free. Bugger it.

Second issue was this wage budget:

image.png.2c43f9602c5b375548df60930fcd4f01.png

I literally have no idea how this is going to work. Not only to fill a squad but to fill it with players that would actually assist in any way with a relegation battle.

Trialists Assemble!

image.png.8a8a24e247cbc98326591de83fa04aaf.png

Of that mammoth list, only the highlighted Bauer signed as we were either priced out of or muscled out on anyone of note or ability.

Oh and Romeo Beckham is just cack.

The window opened July 1st. So we'll hop to July.

July 2024

Squad assembly

I think I can best liken it to this:

image.gif.27efd8fc9dcb8cca01375acb6e6b1c7c.gif

Although first of all we released this lot:

image.png.8506d7200a4384c19cd2e2f9ec0f43fe.png

Some of them were actually from the second team but I had no interest in running any players or staff in that (same with under 19s) as we have no money as it is.

The likes of Vollath, Rzatowski, Stark, Maier, Welzmuller and Lamby were all on wages that didn't match up with their ability so it was time to go.

Markus Schwabl is actually Manni's son, I would have definitely kept him had I been given a greater budget.

image.gif.94e3c8961b4826e29cd3e8b69c864a91.gif

So. Players in. There are a few here. Prior to the season opener we got this lot in:

image.thumb.png.c5854a54b538c24bb7ce4f563dcbbe00.png

Permanent Deals

Kaide Gordon (free) signed on a free after a good loan spell last year. He'd be an asset! image.thumb.png.0a2b1610f7da4b0baaa409d4f86d9f88.png

Tomas Koubek (free) looked a great option in goal and would hopefully be capable of miracles.

image.thumb.png.01afdd690a607cd8463a94f7ad330cba.png

Patrick Bauer I know from his spells with Charlton and Preston and he looked capable at this level.

image.thumb.png.b57682b1ba8d160baf9e6cef3fa80b4c.png

Loans

Gael Lafont. Well this is a funny one, I actually meant to sign him in the January of the season before and failed to realise I'd missed the cut off for the French window and instead he joined in July. Still looked good but £3k a week on a loan.

image.thumb.png.1001c45c80165c80fc1142ed66fec3b2.png

Tommaso Ravaglioli looked top notch as well. Really happy with this one on loan and hopefully he can get goals.

image.thumb.png.0bc3962b15eda934efa75a9a3a009313.png

Kebir Ali Canpolat. Pro - no loan fee or wage. Con - everything else.

image.thumb.png.c71688f2da7e48a848756c55e49a3003.png

Andrik Markgrav. See the description for Canpolat above.

image.thumb.png.5fa5ec6cc97e1f5fdecc44a66114884b.png

Olivier Aertssen is a player I've liked in recent FM games and was more than happy to have a ball player of his quality as a centre back option.

image.thumb.png.8d5c957bdc2df87b443a255dbb916065.png

FInal one before the opening game and Levis Asanji was the last of the Union Berlin loans that if nothing else meant we had bodies in the squad with no wage requirements.

image.thumb.png.beb38b6ae55d15b94bb92fd83b97b0fe.png

So how did this all look in readiness for the opener away to Heidenheim?

image.thumb.png.d07d041fff7aa0f55a92c99525cbb57e.png

It did not look good. Thoughts and prayers for both the opening game and season were required.

There was still time and budget to get more players in but in the footballing equivalent of doing your homework on the bus we'd run out of time and simply weren't ready for the season.

Next Up

Season opener, August results and more transfers.

Edited by DanWarnock

Not having a good striker could be a real problem, I hope you will manage to find some wages-free loan to fill the role.

July 2024

So technically we had our first game of the season at the end of July and with a threadbare squad I was worried, especially given we were away to recently relegated Heidenheim.

Incredibly we took the lead through Ravaglioli and held on until half time. Absolute scenes.

However, second half they absolutely battered us and levelled it up on 55 mins. Just as we'd looked to have done enough to hang on a winner five minutes from the end gave the home side a deserved win but we'd put a good account in.

I think my assistant summed it up well enough with this little gem in game:

image.png.c472549fd18ad554c060f4f01d775c9c.png

No kidding. His position should probably be the bench at this level.

image.png.477c7e4d9b2653bfeaf66aff8c7ce63a.png

August 2024

Transfers 

Thankfully we did manage to get these lot in after the opener against Heidenheim:

image.thumb.png.dec687a48aace33e6fdae7328d19e313.png

Unbelievably, we actually paid a fee for a player and signed two strong looking defensive players with Premier League pedigree. What is happening!

Permanent Deals

Cheikhou Kouyaté (free) looked like he'd be a great defensive screen and was really pleased to get him in; was one of those signings that happened thanks to a player / coach role.

image.thumb.png.0687aa5b0c778d7cc793a4a4d13ba630.png

David Karavatakis (£7.5k). We actually paid a team a fee for a player. Whilst checking out some of the Oceanic u21 squads Karavatakis caught my eye as he was wanted by a couple of clubs; then saw he had a release fee clause of £7.5k. Actually looked like he had a bit of potential as well and would definitely do a job in our team at the moment.

image.thumb.png.11b1eeb9e629822129a1702a261ef69d.png

Eliaquim Mangala (free) was another one that would give us great experience and quality in the team. I felt it was key to get some old heads in amongst the young loan squad we had built.

image.thumb.png.258fee99f456ccc4910457b81ba793d3.png

Loans

Yacine Chaib was signed a bit blind as he was a French u21 international in their first team. I was hoping for a bit more quality but he'd do.

image.thumb.png.d0275f0967e5df3fc03d607fc8ca0ede.png

Francis Onyeka looked like he'd really develop into a top player but to be honest he was another that didn't look quite up to the mark for the second tier at this stage.

image.thumb.png.b489b272891325deebe352bafafdc1c9.png

John Mellberg was one I'd been keeping an eye on and having seen (and managed him) before was happy to pick him up as a good CB option.

image.thumb.png.611076cc64dc83f49d15e7d9fd0092fc.png

Johaneko Louis-Jean was another blind one from the French u21. Not a huge wage but there was a fee to be paid to supplement his loan. Not hugely excited by him but we had to chance it on a few of these players given there isn't enough money to even scout in some cases.

image.thumb.png.620f0d82cb06aebf42b27d357991cc27.png

Dane Scarlett was a really interesting one. The Spurs youngster had been hailed as a huge prospect a couple of years back but hadn't really kicked on yet. Given we had no loan fee to pay we'd take a chance.

image.thumb.png.bdf6f23f01a19275248c9be8177fb4e3.png

Kian Fitz-Jim. Really liked this one, he's versatile and has been another player I've really got a tune out of in recent FM games.

image.thumb.png.11c2ebd4684f513522baaa8adc85e458.png

Elione Fernandes-Neto looked class and would help us shore things up as a ball winner in the middle. Was really looking for a replacement for Rzatkowski and hopefully he'd fit the bill.

image.thumb.png.acf73e4914aac4ccaf0c0c33db9fd11c.png

Christian Cugnata was another blind punt at full back and again as per the theme, didn't fill me with confidence as a first team option.

image.thumb.png.e466ccfa26c8fde8ccc390d2b51f6876.png

Last one in was Felix Hagmann who was cheap enough (wage wise) and was importantly another body at full back to give a bit of depth.

image.thumb.png.cde779b32660a22a2aa463e079d20683.png

Results

image.png.481b98120252ccece1a8e522e9c524b0.png

• Paderborn at home showed the gulf in class; we were properly second best and it was youth prospect Faruk Esmeray who got our consolation.
  • We then proceeded to beat top flight Werder Bremen in the DFB Pokal; Ejaria and Canpolat put us ahead and despite being absolutely roasted all game the visitors could only pull one back and we'd made it through to the next stage!
  • Karlsruhe was a hard fought game and we went ahead on 53 mins thanks to a Zeroli header from a pinpoint Canpolat (better stop slating him) delivery. Unfortunately the vistors equalised on 86 mins and we'd missed a great chance to get our first win of the league season.
  • St Pauli was a rollercoaster. Home side looked in control at 1-0 but Ravaglioli and Canpolat scored late on to give us the lead and what looked likely the win. 93rd minute, sloppy defensive play and Eggestein slotted home the equaliser.
  • Kaiserslautern was the third draw in a row where we'd conceded another late goal but this one needs a bit more detail. I have no idea how we even held on as long as we did but after two red cards in the first half we played most of the game with 9 men. Cracking point in the circumstances.
    image.png.8685b4ee7c1edebbc62db2e9e63713aa.png

Table

image.png.b00bc81507b3bf4ce8eece38e56693d2.png

Squad, Thoughts and Predictions

A lot of positives in the opening few games despite not managing to get a first league win.

We'd had to forge a whole new squad together and most of them were loans in giving us a feel of a Watford side before the English loan system got tightened up.

Squad (end of August 2024 window)

image.thumb.png.1d5efbe033c94603272fbf6896257d88.png

Starting eleven (end of August 2024 window)

We'd go with a positive approach but a little more conservative with Kouyate as the DM / Anchor. We could switch up as games went on to a more 4-2-3-1 setup should there be an opportunity to seize goals in a game but we had to accept we'd be second best in a lot of these fixtures and had to setup accordingly.

image.png.bee2c45ba067d46c4e1aed536f7dc89f.png

Predictions (2024/2025 season)

The bookies had us down as relegation certainties but I'd be hopeful of dodging the relegation mix-up altogether. Hopeful was probably the key word there.

My Prediction: 15th Place

Media Prediction: 18th Place

September 2024

Results

Oh dear. Not a good month.

image.png.aab2257cd339eabb9cc0c992ed39b9f2.png

• Greuther Furth was a tight enough game but the difference in quality was so clear throughout and we were behind in the 5th minute and never looked like troubling them.
  • Darmstadt we started brilliantly and took the lead through a Patrick Bauer header but by the 20 minute mark they'd hit three and were so comfortable. Other than Zeroli, it was really hard to see any quality on the pitch to trouble any of these sides so far.
  • Nurnberg was another game where the opposition were just far too much for us throughout. Ejaria and Fernandes-Neto had good games but again, the defensive play and quality in the final third to pressure the opposition was so lacking.
  • Dresden was the only game of the month where we showed a bit of mettle. Mellberg was sent off just after the half hour for a second bookable offense and we actually stayed competitive. Zimmerschied put them ahead on 80 minutes and then they had a pen minutes later that Koubek got down brilliantly to save. We pushed everything up for the last five and got a reward, Ravaglioli sweeping home a Gordon cross. In the circumstances a brilliant point but that was it for the month. One point.

Table

image.png.9ef35c7fc35b7557bdb0e4d5dd1b88f3.png

We were four adrift of 15th place and it was already looking like a long hard season.

October 2024

Results

This division was looking beyond us at the moment. Other than the Dortmund game in the cup, there was not enough battle and quality again on the field. Formation changes, lucky rabbits feet and player meetings all thrown at the squad but it was a red month.

image.png.b89f0a02942e65cbb928117d3ca44b48.png

• Schalke we traded with throughout the game but we were already two down by the half hour and it was an unassailable uphill task from there. Bauer scored another header from an Ejaria ball in but we didn't get close to threatening them regularly enough in this one.
  • Hansa Rostock was another game where we took an early lead but as soon as the game settled into it's rhythm the quality difference was showing us up. There were a few good performances in there from Fitz-Jim, Zeroli and Gordon but this one was all over by the 50 minute mark when the home side got their third.
  • Kiel was a tough one to take but we were second best again and the scoreline told the story. They'd dominated the first half and Koubek kept us in it with a string of saves. Second half we tried to keep it competitive but they took the lead on the hour. However ten mins later we were level, Louis-Jean's low cross swept in by Ravaglioli. Similar story though and as our legs tired, the visitors got the winner after pinball in the box and that was it. Three straight defeats in the league for the month.
  • Dortmund in the DFB Pokal second round; we actually looked really good in this one. We were two down by half time and then a Louis-Jean own goal put them three up on 50 minutes. We didn't stop though and really had a go at them and were rewarded in the 67th minute when Canpolat pulled one back. In injury time we got another after Scarlett was brought down in the box, Lafont tucked away the resultant penalty.

Table

image.png.fc4c887897eb58fa28d6d9b78575227c.png

A worse month than September. Four red dots and a mixed bag performance wise. Dortmund in the cup was encouraging that the players could put a shift in but it was another season of loanees forming our first team and the lack of cohesion was a real concern. We were already 9 points away from safety after 12 games and November / December would be crucial for any chances of survival but it was looking bleak. Maybe we had gone up too quickly from the third tier.

On 14/05/2024 at 09:56, Vođi said:

Things arent looking pretty. How does the board feel about the situation?

They weren't happy Vođi, think we were on a D with the board at the end of October. Didn't get a screenshot of that and have moved on a bit since then.

November 2024

Results

It was a record breaking month.

image.png.fd2a08f138c9d2b1a78c01f00df9b830.png

Thanks Tom, appreciated.

It was the draw at Dusseldorf that tipped the scales it it had again been a game we should have won but couldn't hold on. We did however have some room for optimism this month as we did pick up our first win!

image.png.4eb41809a02e3da98e047055b09aabb1.png

• Fortuna Dusseldorf - should have been a win. We went ahead through, they levelled it on the hour and then Fitz-Jim scored from distance to put us ahead. Familar story though and this time it was a Koubek calamity own goal that saw us throw away the chance of a win.
  • Magdeburg felt like a must win game and we had much the better of the chances but after Ravaglioli went off injured we looked toothless. Dane Scarlett was definitely not the answer. The visitors scored on 40 minutes to go ahead and despite 8 corners and a ton of pressure we never looked like scoring.
  • We finally did it. Elversberg took the lead in this one on 20 minutes and second half we pushed through the gears. Zeroli fired home from close range on the hour after they failed to clear a corner and a 30 yard thunderbolt from Fernandes-Neto gave us the win.
  • We had no chance of carrying that momentum into the next game as it was a drubbing at Werder Bremen. They dominated the game and were two up by the half hour. Canopolat pulled one back but Hansen-Aaroen scored with ten to go to wrap it up for them.

Table

image.png.3e573e3474cadb5478247d4b9abc8a4c.png

We were still nine points adrift at the bottom. Our next game (and only game of December) was home to Braunschweig and this game had to be won; it'd take us off the bottom at the halfway stage and if nothing else that would give us hope. 

December 2024

Results

Massive game. Home to second bottom Braunschweig. We were still without Ravaglioli so would have to start with Scarlett up top.

Mellberg put us ahead on 8 minutes with a front post header from a corner and we continued to lay siege to their goal for the rest of the game and missed chance after chance. It looked like we'd been punished when on 74 minutes Cugnata fell asleep at left back and the ball was cut back to Antonucci to fire them level.

We went all out in an attempt to get the winner and were rewarded on 92 minutes when a low Lafont cross was poked home by Karavatakis. An absolutely vital win!

image.png.2e570d9332ec9f29fbef231d68ca58da.png

image.png.8c8f0be373d434c193cf1f95dd8052bc.png

Table

image.png.3f86164b86ddf2cd363072ce2ff1056f.png

We finished December 7 points adrift but off the bottom. Still felt like a huge ask at this stage but at least we'd started picking up wins.

We would need some serious additions in the window and some decent momentum to have any chance of survival at this stage.

Other News

Unfortunately it had been a disastrous spell at the club for Kouyate and in order to free up some wage budget for January we bit the bullet and released him early from his deal. 

image.png.787bd2a60bd662e02a5ac820b5681762.png

We also agreed a £400k deal with FC Groningen to take Ovie Ejaria in January. He'd done well for us but we are still desperately short of money and have to take those kind of deals when they come round and rely on the loan market to cover the gaps.

This January window needed to be a good one.

January 2025

Transfers

It had been a very good window and deadline day had seen some cracking players arrive at the club.

Gonzaga, Kamara, Arthur and Hoffmann looked like proper first team quality.

The deal for Ejaria going to Groningen and similar to Kouyate we also got Mangala off the wage bill as he was another player who just wasn't at the level.

We had a few interesting players on trial (Bradley Dack being one of them) but no-one worth picking up on a permanent deal.

image.png.638ead10c74e64a8416d00c5b3455a8a.png

Arrivals - Loans

Jamal Gonzaga would go straight into the first team, a quality all round attacking midfielder and it would need performances from players like him to give us a hope.

image.thumb.png.ee96470698aafea63ace53d8abbbf178.png

Clancy Biten Valere was a bit of a punt to try and get a full back with a bit of quality in but without a scouting budget we were going off limited information and it was still hit or miss. He looked like he'd be ok.

image.thumb.png.f82bfb3552391de751e7fab394824168.png

Kassoum Ouattara looked like he had a much more rounded game and would be a reliable body in at left back.

image.thumb.png.dd5ee939f39a59f6667d39d23c74a6b1.png

Abu Kamara had a lot of potential and the speed to hopefully cause problems from the flank.

image.thumb.png.bf8baae11fb816ef378c37c1ffe51c08.png

Jesper Uneken. Bit of a blind punt and to be honest didn't look like he'd be pulling up any trees.

image.thumb.png.02206b96740686bfaefabf276511cbb9.png

The first of five deadline day deals; Christian Osinaga was our first look over to South America for options and without any scouting knowledge I was hoping the Bolivian international was going to have a bit more quality than he's got.

image.thumb.png.da8d17bb1117998a07c0d9b3e5823946.png

Arthur on loan was an incredible deal. No wage to pay and gave us some real first team quality at right back.

image.thumb.png.60df59d3bc10fca7f228996e5a6ce3b9.png

Similar to Kamara, Robert was a good addition to the squad to offer an option in the final third.

image.thumb.png.9f21e2c6b1a4ff6282992b3548e846d4.png

Tim Hoffmann again had so much ability at centre back and we now had a proper rounded squad.

image.thumb.png.db877b1cc59423d2bd665ca055c7700f.png

Last deal of deadline day was Iggy Houben from PSV, a right sided attacking player with good ability as a winger.

Results

image.png.168b5af00daf6e95a64655c2d2ad8e70.png

• We stuck in there against Paderborn but couldn't reallt shift the pattern of play of them dominating play from deep. They got the goal not long after half time and we didn't come close.
  • Heidenheim went two up early and Hagmann was sent off just after half time to make it an impossible one to turn around. Chermiti got their third on 53 minutes and we didn't really lay a glove on them second half.
  • But with a few more of our additions coming into the team, we comfortably beat top of the table Darmstadt . Ravaglioli put us ahead on five minutes and substitute Uneken made sure with five to go. Ouattara had a brilliant game for us in this one at left back.

Table

image.png.dd8821573fe90faef2b48063a2a2ac26.png

That win against Darmstadt was huge and left us six points adrift of 15th and 5 points away from the playoff spot.

Summary

The starting eleven and squad looked so much better after the window, The planned starting eleven looked like this:

image.thumb.png.2be5d31adb122f9cc11d3f597b500866.png

Our salary spend compared to the rest of the division at the end of the window:

image.thumb.png.8d07aec3b131573f689307b92c6df46b.png

Next Up

Feb and March.

Edited by DanWarnock

Binge read through this, it really puts into perspective how flexible the rules are in Germany. The fact that all but one of your starters are loanees is nuts! However, the promise of a decent financial windfall regardless of league position should put you in good stead for next season in at least financing some free transfers or cheap youngsters.

Il 18/5/2024 in 16:40 , DanWarnock ha scritto:

Our salary spend compared to the rest of the division at the end of the window:

You are fighting against a totaly different world. The january window looks like you've set yourself up well for the battle, fingers crossed!