How to make a wide player move into channels?

Sometimes it makes much more sense to tell a wide player - such as a winger, full back or inverted winger - to move into a channel instead of a central player, but the game doesn’t allow that for some reason.

For instance: in 4-1-2-3, I’m utilizing a lone striker, two wingers and no AMC’s. I’d like the striker to remain central, the full/wing backs to stay wide and the wingers/inverted wingers to move into channels, but I can’t.

I could teach them a PPM, but in order to even have that option available a player has first to be familiar with either the AMC or SC position. Gonna take ages this way.

Are there any known workarounds/PI combos to force a wide player to move into a channel? For instance: stay narrower + get further forward, get further forward + roam from position or something?

Thanks!

Play them as a Raum, that is the only wide role which has moves into channels, in fact it is hard coded.

Raum is easier to get working in this years ME, not sure I'd want to play 2 though, The other option could be a wide AP or like you say try the PIs you mentioned but it would just be an approximation

Edited by WhyMe

• SI Staff

I'm not 100% certain on what you're seeking as an overall tactical picture, but I would make sure that you don't have any roles at CM that rotate forwards (This keeps the wide players slightly wider) and/or make sure your team width is set to narrow. Also applying the PI of sit narrower could help further.

I often find when people mention something like this they have their team width set to wide, just changing from wide to narrow and seeing how they set up from things like goal kicks should show the difference on it's own. I would start with the team width first, then take a look at what roles you have that rotate forwards and force the wide players to stay wide and changing them seeing what combinations you feel like gives you the best balance.

That’s good advice @Jack Sarahs if I have a SV pushing up on the left and an IW(S) on the same side, the IW plays more like a narrow winger crossing (?) width is set on narrow/ fair narrow

edit: he tries to beat the FB inside but still stays wide in the box pushing towards the touchline

right (?)

Edited by HanziZoloman

On 15/04/2024 at 19:59, HanziZoloman said:

That’s good advice @Jack Sarahs if I have a SV pushing up on the left and an IW(S) on the same side, the IW plays more like a narrow winger crossing (?) width is set on narrow/ fair narrow

edit: he tries to beat the FB inside but still stays wide in the box pushing towards the touchline

right (?)

If you have an IW and you have an SV pushing up and you are telling your team to be narrower in width and he has the sit narrower PI. I will never expect him to beat the FB on the outside, I will almost always expect him to come inside and sometimes even run laterally across the defensive line but in the general direction of the penalty area.

Basically this set up has no one moving into advanced midfield doing rotations, just wanted to illustrate the way the IW moves on support and attack duty. On support he will be narrower and more creative, on attack he will be narrower and more driven to get into the area. When you use any role that forces a rotation, his positioning might be slightly wider but not as wide as a winger. The video starts with the IW highlighted.  Plus I dont understand the reason for wanting him to move into a channel.  Width affects how your attacks can play out as well. If you are unsure about what to expect, just play width on normal.

On 15/04/2024 at 14:09, Jack Sarahs said:

I'm not 100% certain on what you're seeking as an overall tactical picture, but I would make sure that you don't have any roles at CM that rotate forwards (This keeps the wide players slightly wider) and/or make sure your team width is set to narrow. Also applying the PI of sit narrower could help further.

I often find when people mention something like this they have their team width set to wide, just changing from wide to narrow and seeing how they set up from things like goal kicks should show the difference on it's own. I would start with the team width first, then take a look at what roles you have that rotate forwards and force the wide players to stay wide and changing them seeing what combinations you feel like gives you the best balance.

I have a question about that.

If I play 424 and I want my tactic to transform into 4222 in possession. Is that possible?

With the example above I mean my AMRL to move on AMCRL position in possession.

• SI Staff
On 20/04/2024 at 10:33, dzek said:

I have a question about that.

If I play 424 and I want my tactic to transform into 4222 in possession. Is that possible?

With the example above I mean my AMRL to move on AMCRL position in possession.

Well it depends what you mean. Is there a positional rotation for this in the game? No. Could you use AP or IW with sit narrower and minimum width to create this shape? Yes.

13 minutes ago, Jack Sarahs said:

Well it depends what you mean. Is there a positional rotation for this in the game? No. Could you use AP or IW with sit narrower and minimum width to create this shape? Yes.

If I use IF with sit narrower and minimum width according to your second example?

Edited by dzek