Tottenham Hotspur - Clear £1b of Stadium & Infrastructure Debt - Daniel Levy's dream Manager

I hope this is in the right place! If not, I can move it.

This will work for any club with big debts. Manu, Chelsea etc. As a Spurs fan, I will be doing this challenge with Spurs. Spurs have around £1b in long term debt due to building a new stadium, training ground and other infrastructure. Daniel Levy has prioritised generating revenue over anything else. This challenge is the opposite of what any Spurs fan wants, but the main aim is to clear that debt as quickly as possible to ensure long term financial stability of the club. Although this is depressing for any Spurs fan, I think it will be a good challenge. This challenge incorporates Squirrel-Plays player/squad analysing and recruitment tool to maximise success and profits with this challenge. If you don't know who Squirrel-Plays is please use the link below and watch his "how to videos" before starting this challenge:

Squirrel-Plays - https://fm-client-app.vercel.app/

I will also follow a philosophy of keeping the club as British as possible, where possible. So the management, coaching, recruitment team keep British so we get the best chance of getting good British young players through the door. Youth is going to be key during this challenge, so where possible bring in good British youth players as these will potentially generate high fees in the future. Although it's preferable to keep young British players we've developed, it is part of the rules to sell players that bring in high fees to help clear the debt.

The Challenge:

Rules: (For Spurs - Goal is to clear high debt from stadium build - Approximately £1b)

• UK & Irish: (All with at least 15+ Determination)
    • Director of Football
    • Chief Scout
    • Technical Director
    • Head of Youth Development
    • Assistant Manager (Ex Player with caps for country)
  • Rest of World (All with at least 15+ Determination. Try to get UK & Irish where possible)
    • Coaches (Preferably ex-pro's with international caps)
    • Scouts (Spread across key countries/regions. UK & Ireland, Argentina, Brazil, Spain, Italy, Belgium, France, Germany, Asia, Scandinavia

Transfer, Competition & Squad Rules:

• No players over 30
  • Play as many club home grown players as possible (Aim to have at least 3 starting every game - Within 2-3 seasons)
  • Buy young British players, but bring in young players from key scouting areas to develop (Aim to have at least 5 Tottenham/UK & Irish starters every game - within 2 seasons)
  • Max transfer fee of £50m (For key position IF someone is below 3 star for position for designated formation)
  • Rotation option must be Tottenham youth or UK & Irish (If not season 1, aim to have this in place by 2nd season)
  • Keep wage budget under £4m per week (No one should be on £200k or more)
  • If someone offers a higher fee than a players value, sell if you can replace them with someone for less. Anything over £60m should be considered a sale, unless under players value.
  • Use SquirrelPlays tool to find bargains with high rankings for both starters and squad
  • DO NOT buy young wonderkids you know of. Use Scouting network and scouts to search for players and recruit scout recommended players ONLY
  • Use SquirrelPlays tool to pick starting 11 as well as 2nd team/squad team
    • HIGH PRIORITY:
      • AIM for a top 4 finish over anything else to generate maximum revenue from Champions League
      • Play young/rotation team in League and FA Cup until Quarter Final stages
  • All pre-season tours to be in either China or USA for maximum exposure
  • Create affiliate links to clubs in Europe to poach good young players for Youth Academies in key countries and regions. As many as possible
  • Create affiliate links to good Championship, League 1 & 2 to loan players
    • Ensure players you loan get at least Regular Starter status
    • Ensure all players you loan go to teams predicted to finish in top half, preferably challenge for the league or play offs

TACTIC: I am no tactician so I will be using the following top rated tactic on FM-Arena for this challenge - https://fm-arena.com/thread/10434-424-classic-v28/

Squad Analysis Table:

Formation - 4222

1st Choice

2nd

Extra

Keeper

Centre Back Left

Centre Back Right

Left Back

Right Back

Defensive Midfielder

Defensive Midfielder

Inside Forward Left

Inside Forward Right

Centre Forward

Striker

Recruitment Plans:

Players we Need:

Players to Sell:

Please feel free to give feedback or ideas. I'll report back every now and then to show my progress. Hopefully I keep my job!

Edited by Glassy

Posted (edited)

Debt is hovering around £900m - I've sold a few players so I think it was slightly higher than this:

image.thumb.png.2dadef3c8780b28b4959bef28c6675bd.png

First job was to look at the coaching and recruitment team. Thankfully there was some free spaces in important roles which meant I could follow the philosphy of key staff being mostly British:

image.thumb.png.bbe8787233ee0cbb0def7ad5829ecf54.png

I went straight to work getting in some key staff:

image.thumb.png.620ef321ada8cd4d2ca28a6b2ec3558a.png

I'm happy so far. Thankfully we had a good English Assistant Manager, so I didn't need to do a lot at this point with the coaching staff. I brought in a really good young English Head of Youth Recruitment, a Scottish Technical Director and brough Paul Mitchell back to the club as the Director of Football. Mitchell fell out with Levy when he was first at Spurs so I doubt that went down well.

image.thumb.png.c0f1e62025e8fb8c10bf96282bbb0429.png

Straight to work selling older players or non-British players where possible and bringing in good British players. I also spotted a bargain with Ioaniddis using Squirrel-Plays scoring system. Gunn was also spotted using the Squirrel system. With Emerson-Royal leaving Walker-Pieters comes in who is Tottenham Home-Grown, so made perfect sense. A pretty hefy profit so far in the summer window, although quite a lot of spending before I arrived.

Signings in: Ioaniddis £13m, Walker-Pieters £25m, Gunn £7.5m - Total £44.5m

Players sold: Emerson Royal £37m, Richarlison £39m, Hojberg £30m - Total £106m

Profit since I arrived: £61.5m

image.thumb.png.f5eacb1d28a7165e6eae13cd598fc8df.png

Ioaniddis spotted on the tool. The other player either too expensive or injury prone so went for the bargain it spotted for me.

image.thumb.png.43cbec767a834eb65872ccf9ef110136.png

The squad is looking quite thin. I've promoted youth players like Dorrington, Soonsup-Bell, Santiago & Donley who I will keep with the squad. There is no European football so I think this should be ok. I have to do some business in January with Son, Sarr and Bissouma going to the Asian and African international tournaments. Something I can deal with in early December before the window opens on January 1st. Maybe a cheeky bid for Ivan Toney when his ban ends, let's see.

image.thumb.jpeg.4d9ecc06ecf819ae43fdbf225904baf9.jpeg

This is the first 11 so far. I am not that happy to be honest, not enough English players but it is early doors. I will need a few windows to get more British or home grown players in.

image.thumb.png.293249116a2d24f604ad9a6ad192e2ec.png

A really positive start to the season though. The 424 Classic v28 has started very well!

image.thumb.jpeg.ac3feb89accca71df1c9094ffb7e2abd.jpeg

Edited by Glassy

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, squirrel_plays_fm said:

Hey man...very cool to see you using the scoring system tool on here

The scoring system is great, the multitude of ways FM can be played is truly amazing and what has kept me coming back for over 20 years. 

Your new sheet with the potential player progression is a fantastic scouting tool, we just need to twist your arm to do it for all roles in the game hah! Seriously though with scouting in a sub par state having innovate ways to still enjoy youth development is great, thanks for the work.

5 hours ago, R0ca said:

The scoring system is great, the multitude of ways FM can be played is truly amazing and what has kept me coming back for over 20 years. 

Your new sheet with the potential player progression is a fantastic scouting tool, we just need to twist your arm to do it for all roles in the game hah! Seriously though with scouting in a sub par state having innovate ways to still enjoy youth development is great, thanks for the work.

Thanks man, appreciate that.

Extending it to all roles is a big job - I did post a thread on twitter FWIW on how one might do a simplified version of it if you want to adapt it for your own save

On 31/03/2024 at 15:37, mibsweden said:

Inspiring post!

I am considering starting an OM save, using only french players and staff. Goal is to become the dominant force in France.

I started a new Valencia save today. We know how they cope in real life, my goal is infrastructure, getting out of debt, being top 3 in the league.

On 12/04/2024 at 11:07, squirrel_plays_fm said:

Hey man...very cool to see you using the scoring system tool on here

I was doing well and then someone bought the club and cleared the debts which ruined the plan. I got it down to around £350m which took 6 seasons. I use the tool for every save, it makes the game so much more enjoyable and works a treat as well. You are a legend.